Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 Paint Jobs... What's Going On?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 04:54 AM
eurostyle
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

Back in 2007 I ordered a C6 and when I got it ( 2 months later) some panels had OP. My fix, I used Meguiar's 205 on those panels with a rotary buffer two or three times until they were so smooth like a nun bubs.
Old 05-02-2014, 07:28 AM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427

p.s. there is a difference between OP and looking like a roller was used by an orangutan.
Originally Posted by VETTE-NV

That is the touch up orangutan, note the brush. The painter orangutan uses a roller!!
Old 05-02-2014, 10:59 AM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

It is really unfortunate about the paint issues, I just read where the Black C7 wheels are painted and not Powder Coated and some are having scratches after a few washes.
Imo, just another sign GM is cutting corners to save a buck.
Old 05-02-2014, 12:00 PM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,145 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by 82CFI
Been reading all the various threads about OP and posts in this one stating that it occurs only in the clear coat. Can anyone explain why OP occurs only in the clear coat and not in the base (color) coat? What is about the clear paint that makes it susceptible to OP occurring and the complement question - what is it about color paint that makes it immune to OP?
I don't think there's been any actual proof that it is ONLY the clear coat that has the issue.....and from the cars I've seen, the FRP panels themselves seem to be quite wavy, which would add to the overall appearance of a poor finish.

Nothing will change until people stop buying because of the paint issue. Right now, they're selling them as fast as they can make them so it's not a priority with GM. Until they are finally called out by the magazines, blogs, and forums like this, and it actually has an affect on the bottom line, there is no reason to fix it.

It will happen eventually, but only after the feeding frenzy is over and people start taking a closer look.
Old 05-02-2014, 12:57 PM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Originally Posted by sam90lx
It is really unfortunate about the paint issues, I just read where the Black C7 wheels are painted and not Powder Coated and some are having scratches after a few washes.
Imo, just another sign GM is cutting corners to save a buck.
Hi Sam! It always comes back to "bang for the buck," for my money that's not good enough.
Old 05-02-2014, 01:09 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,992 Likes on 1,149 Posts

Bang for the buck????? What an interesting concept. Can anyone name ANY new car out there that provides more bang for the buck?????

And also any company not recalling their product?

And BTW how are those Acura sales doing????? Record setting????
Old 05-02-2014, 01:16 PM
Dan12
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't think there's been any actual proof that it is ONLY the clear coat that has the issue.....and from the cars I've seen, the FRP panels themselves seem to be quite wavy, which would add to the overall appearance of a poor finish.

Nothing will change until people stop buying because of the paint issue. Right now, they're selling them as fast as they can make them so it's not a priority with GM. Until they are finally called out by the magazines, blogs, and forums like this, and it actually has an affect on the bottom line, there is no reason to fix it.

It will happen eventually, but only after the feeding frenzy is over and people start taking a closer look.
You're right, the panels are not straight. If you look closely most are a bit wavy. That bothers me more than the OP. OP can be sanded and buffed out, not much you can do about wavy panels. Looks like a steel panel that had poor bodywork done. Only a real car enthusiast or custom pain guy would see it but its there.

Sure there's people who say they cant see them, I just wish I was one of them.
Old 05-02-2014, 01:21 PM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Greg00Coupe
Bang for the buck????? What an interesting concept. Can anyone name ANY new car out there that provides more bang for the buck?????

And also any company not recalling their product?

And BTW how are those Acura sales doing????? Record setting????
LOL...well if you must know I had a record month in December and I'm in my 21st year. Does that help?

I think what many are saying Greg is that they could do better, even if it costs a little more they'd be wise to invest in doing it right IMO.
Old 05-02-2014, 01:31 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,992 Likes on 1,149 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427
LOL...well if you must know I had a record month in December and I'm in my 21st year. Does that help?

I think what many are saying Greg is that they could do better, even if it costs a little more they'd be wise to invest in doing it right IMO.
Oh Dan you are right........but that comes with a cost and you know what happens as soon as they raise the prices...... folks come out of the woodwork!!!!

Record month???!!! Thats because its all you Dan!!! You the man!!

But you do know that Acura is way behind and losing more distance all the time. The TL is not selling the RL is a huge disappointment. Now the new TL looks sweet but man that hunk of whatever the current generation is.........ugly and they just do not ride that well.
Old 05-02-2014, 01:46 PM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Greg00Coupe
Oh Dan you are right........but that comes with a cost and you know what happens as soon as they raise the prices...... folks come out of the woodwork!!!!

Record month???!!! Thats because its all you Dan!!! You the man!!

But you do know that Acura is way behind and losing more distance all the time. The TL is not selling the RL is a huge disappointment. Now the new TL looks sweet but man that hunk of whatever the current generation is.........ugly and they just do not ride that well.
At the production level I would think it wouldn't be too much and even though some guys have had very satisfactory finishes many haven't. I'm going to guess they are working diligently to get this ship on the right course.

As for Acura you're right, our SUV's are great and our sedans are dead in the water. The new TLX should help that problem, built right in your backyard.
Old 05-02-2014, 01:48 PM
jwbert
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by AFVETTE
Do we know exactly what the problem is? Have GM/BG big wiggs stated what the real issue is and what it will take to fix it?

Does it happen to EVERY C7, EVERY COLOR or just some? What's the common dinomator if it doesn't affect 100% or the cars?
According to the GM engineers I spoke with at the bash, one of the real problems in painting this car is that it has so many dissimilar materials making up the different panels, be it carbon fiber, plastic, fiberglass or the composites, each accept paint differently and cure differently, so its been a real bitch to get it right. Adjusting pressures and speed and quantity of application on one panel to make it smooth makes it rougher on another material, but they are definitely aware of the issue and are trying to improve.
Old 05-02-2014, 02:32 PM
Translator
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by jwbert
According to the GM engineers I spoke with at the bash, one of the real problems in painting this car is that it has so many dissimilar materials making up the different panels, be it carbon fiber, plastic, fiberglass or the composites, each accept paint differently and cure differently, so its been a real bitch to get it right. Adjusting pressures and speed and quantity of application on one panel to make it smooth makes it rougher on another material, but they are definitely aware of the issue and are trying to improve.
Thanks for the good info sir. While this may address OP concerns; they also need to address other quality control issues reported by several owners; such as: clear coat runs, panel alignment and fit, variations of shade/tones for each painted panel in the same color, visible dirt particles under the clear coat, etc...
Old 05-02-2014, 02:45 PM
bebe1946
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Orange peel

Originally Posted by arcticblast
At the Bash last week, the QC engineers met with some C7 owners to go over problems, and we were assured they are working on the best solution for the orange peel. Won't help any of us who already have it, but at least they are being proactive about identifying problems.
To the OP, you have to pay destination charges, even for Museum Delivery......so they had to give us something for free.
Is it my imagination or have the Premire edition convertibles been wet sanded at the factory. I have seen two of them in showroom conditions and both were very nice.
Old 05-02-2014, 03:19 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 954 Likes on 500 Posts
Tech Contributor

It's your imagination, no sanding polishing at the plant for a accident/defect free normal prod car, no matter what they call it.
Old 05-02-2014, 04:34 PM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,145 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan12
You're right, the panels are not straight. If you look closely most are a bit wavy. That bothers me more than the OP. OP can be sanded and buffed out, not much you can do about wavy panels. Looks like a steel panel that had poor bodywork done. Only a real car enthusiast or custom pain guy would see it but its there.

Sure there's people who say they cant see them, I just wish I was one of them.
People often see what they want to see.....especially if they've dumped $70 large into something.
Old 05-02-2014, 04:38 PM
ChucksZ06
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 23 Posts

I just took delivery of a 2015 Tahoe for the wife and it has a beautiful paint job. My c7 is no better than my c5 is. I think bowling green does not know how to paint.
Old 05-03-2014, 09:09 PM
CAracer
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ChucksZ06
I just took delivery of a 2015 Tahoe for the wife and it has a beautiful paint job. My c7 is no better than my c5 is. I think bowling green does not know how to paint.
I just purchased a new 2014 Silverado Truck. The paint is perfect.

I have a Ferrari and it's much better than the Ferrari.

I think when GM paints metal based cars the paint comes out much better due to the material they are painting.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Paint Jobs... What's Going On?

Old 05-04-2014, 12:32 AM
Got uid0
Le Mans Master

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by BigJoe
It would be nice if someone (or more than one someone) would post close-up pics of the "unaccepable" OP. I have some on my LRG and I'd be interested if mine is better or worse. I think mine is acceptable so maybe it is better or maybe I just have a lower threshold on what is acceptable or not.
http://www.change.org/petitions/gene...vette-stingray

http://americascorvette.com/orange-peel-problem/
There are a number of reasons for orange peel, but thickness and spraying technique is usually a culprit for beginners. Fish eye can also be mistaken for Orange Peel and is due to contamination in the paint product, or on the surface, or in the air lines.

SOME CAUSES OF UGLY ORANGE PELL:

- Under reduction and/or air pressure too low.
- Thinner/reducer evaporates too fast for spray conditions.
- Excessive film thickness or piling on of heavy wet coats.
- Improper spray gun set-up.
- Improper painting technique.
- Contamination on surface of the car (Repels paint or fish eying effect)

- Old paint materials (outdated or exposed to air) especially the harder catalyst will also cause orange peel.

METHODS OF REPAIR:

- Compound or polish to reduce surface texture.
- Or, sand smooth with 1200 or finer grit sandpaper, compound and polish to restore gloss.
- Or, sand smooth and refinish.

PREVENTION:

- Use proper reduction ratio and spray at recommended air pressure.
- Select recommended thinner/reducer based on temperature, humidity, air movement, and size of repair.
- Avoid heavy coats and excessive film thickness.
- Use recommended spray gun, fluid tip and air cap for the material being sprayed. Always adjust the gun for best atomization and balanced spray pattern before paint application.
- During paint application, hold the gun perpendicular and parallel to the surface. Adjust speed of pass, pattern overlap, and distance from the panel to achieve the desired appearance.

1. sponge wet dry 1200 grit
2. 2000/3000 grit wet dry
3. hybrid wool pad with flex 3403 rotary on med speed w/ meg's ultimate compound
4. orbital with orange pad - speed 5- more UC
5. orbital with white or black pad with Meg's 205...

Last edited by Got uid0; 05-04-2014 at 12:59 AM.
Old 05-04-2014, 12:48 AM
Got uid0
Le Mans Master

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Thin Paint
Name:  0EoRkkj.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  598.4 KB

http://www.defelsko.com/p200/positector200.htm
Old 05-04-2014, 01:00 AM
sabbie43
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

No OP on my Blade Silver, actually very happy with the paint.

Quick Reply: C7 Paint Jobs... What's Going On?