C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do all the completed cars sit outside at the plant?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 08:57 PM
laborsmith
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by thedofuss
i dont know if they are screwing with you or not. but i do know that there a numerous underground storage bunkers built in that general area, at taxpayers expense, to hide all the really important government officials in the event of a nuclear attack by the soviet union. they were built around the beginning of the "cold war", and have communication facilities, food, water, sleeping accommodations and a plethora of amenities for sure. whether or not they have adequate space for storing your specific C7 is something no one would know, since there was no C7 at that time, and in the event of a nuclear attack, there would likely be little need for one, since the external infrastructure would be uninhabitable. to find more about this and to visit an actual bunker, go to the Greenbrier Resort. its really quite interesting how well the government takes care of itself. for what reason i dont have a clue. all the rest of us--those whom are supposed to be governed and supported by them--would be nuked on the surface, along with or shiny new C7s.
I was poking fun, but remember BG Assembly is located close to Fort Knox and Fort Campbell, both minor installations in the US pantheon of military forts (I AM kidding you) so any thoughts of military underground fortifications are hereby outlawed.

By the way, can anybody tell me the location of the US Gold Depository?

Laborsmith
Old 04-27-2014, 09:35 PM
Hebstar11
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by wgood
You mean like this !!! This i believe was taken in September !!! Wayne

That is an impressive sight!
Old 04-27-2014, 11:06 PM
John Micheal Henry
Drifting

Received 275 Likes on 195 Posts

Look they have windshield wipers too..
Old 04-28-2014, 12:49 AM
checkur6
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Outside Parking

Originally Posted by John Micheal Henry
Look they have windshield wipers too..
I'm waiting for a 4/28/14 TBW. Just hope they don't end up storing it in the middle of the NCM!
Old 04-28-2014, 01:06 AM
Second Vette
Drifting

Received 642 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by thedofuss
i dont know if they are screwing with you or not. but i do know that there a numerous underground storage bunkers built in that general area, at taxpayers expense, to hide all the really important government officials in the event of a nuclear attack by the soviet union. they were built around the beginning of the "cold war", and have communication facilities, food, water, sleeping accommodations and a plethora of amenities for sure. whether or not they have adequate space for storing your specific C7 is something no one would know, since there was no C7 at that time, and in the event of a nuclear attack, there would likely be little need for one, since the external infrastructure would be uninhabitable. to find more about this and to visit an actual bunker, go to the Greenbrier Resort. its really quite interesting how well the government takes care of itself. for what reason i dont have a clue. all the rest of us--those whom are supposed to be governed and supported by them--would be nuked on the surface, along with or shiny new C7s.
The C7 Interior was designed so tightly to prevent the T-800 Terminator from using the Stingrays against the Human population. Unfortunately, Skynet figured it out and developed the T-1000 Liquid Metal Terminator to solve the problem. They can contort to any shape, unlike the typical C7 owner who looks like a newborn Giraffe when entering and exiting the Car.
If you see a Uniformed LAPD Cop driving a Stingray, watch out.

Last edited by Second Vette; 04-28-2014 at 01:58 AM. Reason: Corrected Terminator Model Numbers...
Old 04-28-2014, 01:51 AM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

The 12 hours after I picked it up at the factory.

I don't believe if this happened the day before I picked it up it would have made any difference.
Attached Images  
Old 04-28-2014, 10:31 AM
wgood
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Black-Ray14
That is an impressive sight!
I use that picture for my cellphone screen saver !!! Wayne
Old 04-28-2014, 02:20 PM
Richard Ames
Drifting

Received 205 Likes on 163 Posts

Was in Miami after Hurricane Andrew in the early nineties and cars were blown into a pile against buildings. Kind of relax as you will get a "new" car.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:05 PM
fdxpilot
Safety Car

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Highway 61
There would be a lot more spare parts than that. I heard there were over 2000 cars on the lot, the last week of March per a plant employee.
Hmmm. During initial production and prior to any cars being shipped to dealers, Chevy started shipping C7s to a rail yard in Nashville as an auxiliary parking and QC center, because the lot at the BGAP had over 1400 cars and was full. And that's documented, not second hand from someone who heard something from a plant employee.

When I was there in Dec to pick up our car, they had maybe a couple hundred cars in the parking lot.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:48 PM
AttyVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by wgood
You mean like this !!! This i believe was taken in September !!! Wayne
Looks like Corvette heaven to me
Old 05-01-2014, 01:46 AM
Highway 61
Pro

Location: Between Forest Lake and White Bear Lake in the Land of 10,000+ lakes
Received 41 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by fdxpilot
Hmmm. During initial production and prior to any cars being shipped to dealers, Chevy started shipping C7s to a rail yard in Nashville as an auxiliary parking and QC center, because the lot at the BGAP had over 1400 cars and was full. And that's documented, not second hand from someone who heard something from a plant employee.

When I was there in Dec to pick up our car, they had maybe a couple hundred cars in the parking lot.
Well, if you're comparing December with the end of March, you shouldn't even be talking. They just pumped out over 3000 C7's in April. Today they are building 165 cars a day. When they park the cars closer to each other and use all available space, the lot can hold 2000 cars.
Old 05-01-2014, 04:01 AM
fdxpilot
Safety Car

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Highway 61
Well, if you're comparing December with the end of March, you shouldn't even be talking. They just pumped out over 3000 C7's in April. Today they are building 165 cars a day. When they park the cars closer to each other and use all available space, the lot can hold 2000 cars.
Not sure what is so special about March versus December. The plant was running pretty good in December, shooting for 145 or so on the day we took the tour. I visit the museum/plant area at least once or twice per year, and have never personally seen the lot behind the plant full. Unless the outbound shipping was shut down by weather, there's no reason it should during normal operations.
Old 05-01-2014, 01:00 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by fdxpilot
Not sure what is so special about March versus December. The plant was running pretty good in December, shooting for 145 or so on the day we took the tour. I visit the museum/plant area at least once or twice per year, and have never personally seen the lot behind the plant full. Unless the outbound shipping was shut down by weather, there's no reason it should during normal operations.
I believe the plant was closed for half the month of December. That would affect the number of cars in the parking lot.
Old 05-01-2014, 01:26 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,991 Likes on 1,148 Posts

Showing my age........ back in the early 2000s they lost quite a few cars to a hail storm. If I remember correctly none of the damaged cars made it to retail sales but not sure what they did with them.

Perhaps filled in a few sinkholes.
Old 05-01-2014, 03:44 PM
Jimbob26
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 64 Posts

Once a car has passed QC, the transporter has 10 days to fill the truck (they deliver geographically) and after that, fully loaded or not, the truck must roll. Short of hail or lightning hitting the cars, I don;t think there is anything to worry about. How may cars have you purchased off a dealer's lot, and during the hot season it just sat there and baked all day long. These babies are built tough, and a little bit of inclement weather is no big deal.
Old 05-01-2014, 04:07 PM
indyjack18
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 6GenVettes
Sometimes even indoor parking is not good in BG
Old 05-01-2014, 04:26 PM
Bigdog9586
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I was told while at the plant by a very reliable sourest that Amazon picks every new car up wih their experimental Drones and deliver them straight to the dealer.

Get notified of new replies

To Do all the completed cars sit outside at the plant?

Old 05-01-2014, 05:50 PM
laborsmith
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigdog9586
I was told while at the plant by a very reliable sourest that Amazon picks every new car up wih their experimental Drones and deliver them straight to the dealer.
Now you tell me! Could you not have revealed this info last year when it might have done me some good?

Laborsmith
Old 05-01-2014, 08:19 PM
Old-Timer
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

All I can say is my C-7 came out of the factory on April 14 and was at the dealership in north Fl. on the 24th of April, picked it up the following Monday and is safe and secure in my garage right next to my imaculate original 1989 IROC-Z that has every option but T-Tops with only 14,000 miles. The Vette hasn`t been driven much because I`m suffering from a severe cold. Can not wait to get it on the road, the ride home was great ,163 miles from the dealership. Anyone interested in the IROC-Z ,send me a reply. Bob
Old 05-02-2014, 01:53 AM
bob53
Melting Slicks

Received 302 Likes on 138 Posts

Yes and if your car was lucky enough to be completed around the lunch break there used to be a good chance it may take a detour to a nearby fast food restaurant... Back in the c5 days, a few guys had their cars shipped with French Fry remnants or Wendy's wrappers. I actually got photos of the newly produced cars being used for a lunch run - complete with a burnout.... Sure hope that practice has been squashed.

Quick Reply: Do all the completed cars sit outside at the plant?