Sponsored by:

No C7 for me, Harlan and GM said no way

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 10:14 PM
Jeffer
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Default No C7 for me, GM said no way

the news that the lime rock green is not being made in 2015 results in not buying a C7 for the wifey and me. Here is why, sad story but no animals were harmed during the telling of the story nor any Ken Horse icons or look alikes were held hostage during the negotiations,

trying to make you laugh as I am not

Background, have you ever wondered how you would remember your wife is she was gone (for those who actually get along after 33 years or so), my wife has a fav colour that being green, and we like corvettes, and I have had more than one battle with cancer and more to go in the last couple of years, so I bought a used (2500 miles) 2013 GS cyber grey 3lt in canada (a USA car) at a chevy dealer when the 14's were announced,

if my wife were to pass on first I have said I would buy a green corvette and maybe sooner, so we went to look at one in edmonton a month back but it was dealer transferred to another province before we got there, then the special editions came in green convertibles, a matched pair in edmonton so off we went,

when standing there the dealership smokers were just behind the 2 cars when the s/m opened the doors of one and I said loud enough
I GET THE ONE WITH THE LOWER VIN NUMBER (you should have seen the mouths drop) and one said what about the kids and I said to heck with the kids ! to which they laughed,

my wife said no to the convertible as she did not like the colour roof and thought a second one in a coupe model would be nicer and just lift the top off when needed, I was going to order a green 2014 a month ago when allocations became available but wanted to SEE THE BROWNSTONE AND THE KALAHARI WITH THE WIFE THERE FIRST,

so after the visit last week I said let us oprder a 2015 (5g deposit non refundable) and she agreed, I also sold 17g worth of sporting equipment 2 weeks ago in anticipation of this purchase and 12 the month before so I can pay cash later this year or early next,

wifey is excited but then disaster strikes,

Harlan ( or whomever) made the announcement or decision to cancel the colour just 2 days after we made the decision to order

it gets worse,

as you may know they end the colours they are saying good bye to early so I cannot order one because in canada

there is no 2014 alocation left,

and for montana (K F for example) cannot sell to me although I could get a friend ot buy it and transfer to me later in a month or 2 and just store it but that is not right and I do not want ot get the dealership into ca ca,

so no green, no allocation and I do not want to buy used, also I would want

brownstone as wifey likes it, so 3lt ot get the interior, but no magnetic ride control or Z51 (no need for me and save a ton of money and get the spoiler I want), so this one would be an order car as no one would have them on the lot as not a common choice,

so to be blunt

a DREAM HAS BEEN SHATTERED, really, not kidding, sold some stocks and sporting goods to pay for the car and now what, have to pay some tax, cannot buy the stuff back as competition guns not readily made or aquired,

I know be thankful not having to haul around a bag, or worse, not making it out of the operations the next few times,

but a 5 years plan of what to buy if she is gone has now been lost, and I could share it with here (she does not wish to drive it much but to see me in it knowing it was bought in her favorite colour so we could travel together) would be as they say priceless,

so I got out the GS from hibernation today and took it for a 20 miles drive, but was still wishing a dream could be fulfilled, we have no kids and so my wife is quite important to me still,

so that is my story, and my first new vehicle was a 1976 chev (heavy duty) have ton in blue with white 2 tone fopr $5740 bucks plus tax in august 1976 going to university saving for 2 years to pay cash as a truck was better than a corvette at the time and 35 years later they cancel my choice of colour, had I know I nver would have let GM suck me in like that,

what is a man to do,

I know just drive the GS but if she goes ahead of me what do I buy then, the green ford explorer is not the same,

later and I hope you enjoyed the take as it is true and a little embarrassing but maybe GM customer service or Harlan or KF in montana is listening and can talk some sence into GM to make an exception, for me and the little wifey,

ya right

later eh!

Jeffer

sad sad me,

Last edited by Jeffer; 04-30-2014 at 01:23 AM. Reason: spell
Old 04-26-2014, 10:16 PM
VatorMan
Team Owner

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06-'10-'11, '15

They do have paint shops in Canada don't they ?
Old 04-26-2014, 10:18 PM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by VatorMan
They do have paint shops in Canada don't they ?
Get one or two less options and use that money to get it painted whatever color you like. Don't let the dream pass because you can't order the color you want...
Old 04-26-2014, 10:23 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,290 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Yup, color is easily changed.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:26 PM
Jefff1
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the Limerock and Kalahari combo..very nice vert setup...My son in law is from Ottawa...he likes it on this side of the border
Old 04-26-2014, 10:48 PM
go4kj
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 options

The way I see it you have 3 options:

Option 1: No stingray. Least desirable option. You are missing out big time my friend.

Option 2: I know you think "used" is a cuss word, it's not. What's the big deal? It's pre loved. This is the best option IMO.

Option 3: Buy a new one in any color & get it painted LRG. Reasonable option.

Life's all about compromises & being flexible. The older I get, the more that seems to be true.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:58 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Hey man, I read you and your story! Makes good sense to me. But you're old enough to know how to make things happen. And it isn't going to be a big company or an entire country's allocation changing for you. You've also heard the saying, "Make lemonade out of lemons."

Seriously, the guys above who said find the best darned painte shop in Canada that does great work, and present THAT as your gift to your wife: and the real "gift" is your ingenuity and how much you care for her to "git 'er done!"

Green is just a color, paint is just a topping---isn't what you have a lot more important than waiting for some company to make it and offer it as standard equipment? Do it, Do it!
Old 04-26-2014, 11:03 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

You have got to be kidding me.
There is nothing "sad" about this story.
S.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:06 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

If they never made green you wouldn't have wanted a C7? Seems unreasonable to me. If there made a Lime Rock Yugo would you want one just because its green?

I don't think it's GM's fault. Not enough people ordered it so they are switching to something more popular.

Blame the people who ordered a different color the past year.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:11 PM
FunDriver
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 93 Posts

From your story it seems pretty important to get the color you want so I agree that the above recommendations for a special paint job might be a great option. Good luck and don't wait too long for your dream car.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:13 PM
Matt26
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Agreed with Snorman, nothing sad in the slightest about this.

1st world problems.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:14 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 933 Likes on 488 Posts
Tech Contributor

A little dramatic, for sure.....
Old 04-26-2014, 11:36 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow, who dreams this **** up?

I blame Harlan and Tadge because I have a slight red/green deficiency in my vision! Those jerks!
Old 04-26-2014, 11:48 PM
C7 BOB
Melting Slicks

Received 86 Likes on 44 Posts

A lot of people have had their cars wrapped. You could wrap your GS, or get a new C7 and wrap it.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:55 PM
HummelS
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Glen e
A little dramatic, for sure.....
I'm waiting for the Cliff's Notes - I gather the OP won't buy a C7 because there's no green in 2015. That's just silly. No great surprise either - as I've posted before, green has never been a big seller for Corvette, so one could predict that it wouldn't last. (Probably the most successful run was Polo Green on C4's in the 90's.)

If the OP wants a green car I guess he can pay Porsche to custom paint one for him.
Old 04-27-2014, 12:06 AM
Tennis & Golf Nut
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 314 Posts

Unless I read this wrong, why did you give a $5k NON-refundable deposit?

I'm ordering a new Z and there is no way I'm giving a non-refundable deposit
Old 04-27-2014, 12:21 AM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

Glad you are trying to be humorous during this ordeal, but the reality is that GM and Harlan are not the ones that said no way. You are the one that is saying no way. You're open to only a single color, won't import a U.S. vehicle, won't buy a lightly used one and probably won't go for the getting a different color painted route either. So, who really is saying "no way"?

I really wanted to get Laguna Blue, but if I could not have gotten that color, I would have gotten a different color. Probably CRM. If I were buying a 2015 and Laguna Blue was not available, I would probably get the new Orange. The point is: color is not more important than the car itself. If you really want a C7 get it in some other color - OR take one of the other options available to you to get a LRG one and quit whining.

Get notified of new replies

To No C7 for me, Harlan and GM said no way

Old 04-27-2014, 12:58 AM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Why do I keep thinking THIS fits perfect here?? im just kiddin with ya
But seriously, just consider a "Previously Enjoyed" C7. Case closed!

Last edited by FYREANT; 04-27-2014 at 01:01 AM.
Old 04-27-2014, 01:17 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

I'm sorry you can't get your car.

I do have to agree with the sentiment on the forum that playing the "victim" card 9 months in to the production of the C7 seems a little disingenuous, to say the least.

Jimmy
Old 04-27-2014, 01:20 AM
thedofuss
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the only sense you can discuss with gm is spelled cents. which, btw, is the reason for no more green. maybe you should reconsider your options. nice write up though.

Quick Reply: No C7 for me, Harlan and GM said no way