C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are my options to locate where my ZR1 is???

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2019, 08:27 PM
Cman01
Melting Slicks

Received 460 Likes on 311 Posts

Default What are my options to locate where my ZR1 is???

Ok, the story so far: I bought a new 2019 inbound ZR1 from a dealer in Manitoba in late July, at the time after I placed a deposit on the car I asked for the status code and was told 4300. A few days later I got a preliminary BOS showing the vehicle I purchased, the VIN, total price with options less my deposit and amount owing when it shows up. I was told it was to arrive late August/early September.

Fast forward a few weeks ago (nearing late August), I sold my Z06 and still have a 2013 GT500 I am currently trying to sell but at least selling 1 car will allow me to get the ZR1 without too much financial strain (yes I took a chance buying the ZR even when I had the other 2 cars...…………...I'm a gambling man).

So with 1 car scheduled to go, I called to find out about the status code to see if there's a change and a better timeline on when the car will show up and was told it was still sitting at 4300. I asked about a way to locate where the car is exactly and when it will show up, the dealership was unable to tell me anything. I gave it a few days and called again to try to get more news, I was told that they got a hold of someone at the transport company and they were looking into it but so far have heard nothing. Dealership told me they got a hold of someone at GM Canada (District Manager or something) to see if they can find out where the car is and speed things up on getting it to arrive at the dealer, this happened about a week ago and again so far they have no news for me.

I'm getting a little pissed, I was expecting it to show up based on their original timeline mentioned to me, it was to work out good for me since this coming week I am on holidays and was planning to fly out from Toronto to the dealership to see the car and take care of the payment details and also arrange for the truck to pick it up and ship it to Toronto. As of right now since I have no news there's no way to know when the car will arrive.

I'm also not too happy that the dealership still has the ad for the car listed on their website and autotrader.ca, they told me they leave it up till the car is delivered but I don't like the fact that someone could offer them more money for the car and they'll sell it to them and are just stringing me along while they have my deposit. If I find out this is the case I will freak...………..and freak bad considering I've sold 1 of my cars and working on selling the other (something I would not have done if there was no new ZR1 for me to purchase), this would be a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Sorry for the long speech, but what can I do to see about locating my car to see when it'll be delivered to the dealer? As I've said I have the VIN and I also have the order # from the dealer. If I call GM Canada can they locate the car? I've also sent Chev_Cust_service a PM with this info a few days ago here but have heard nothing.

Please help me find my ZR1!!!!!!!!

Tony

Last edited by Cman01; 09-09-2019 at 01:53 PM.
Old 09-07-2019, 08:49 PM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,402 Likes on 610 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

Try posting info and questions in this thread
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ng-thread.html
Old 09-07-2019, 09:14 PM
Cman01
Melting Slicks

That was done already there and also the PM to Chev_Cus_Svc
Old 09-09-2019, 04:14 AM
Cman01
Melting Slicks

No ideas??
Old 09-09-2019, 07:40 AM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,766 Likes on 969 Posts

Your dealer and GM customer service is your best friend, and trust me GM customer service is NOT MUCH HELP.
Old 09-09-2019, 07:54 AM
Michael T*
Drifting

Received 943 Likes on 428 Posts

Is it being shipped by rail? This can take a while. Did they tell what date it went to 4300?
Old 09-09-2019, 09:00 AM
Cman01
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by hcvone
Your dealer and GM customer service is your best friend, and trust me GM customer service is NOT MUCH HELP.
I normally would agree but in this case because of the reasons described above in the OE post I do not have much confidence in them at the moment.

Originally Posted by Michael T*
Is it being shipped by rail? This can take a while. Did they tell what date it went to 4300?
I wouldn't know but since it is heading to Manitoba chances are it is on a railcar. The car was built on July 16th and by the time I did my deposit on the car in late July that was when I got the 4300 status code but when it went to 4300 from the previous code I do not know that.

My car has ZTK and there is a video online where the wing, splitter and rocker skirts are shipped in a box to the parts dept. before the car shows up. The label on the box also has the VIN of the car that the box belongs to. Late last week I emailed that video with the description about it to my sales guy and he was to check to see if the parts dept. received such a box and I'm still waiting for an answer. The comm is lacking and why I'm not too happy about this situation and again my fear that they have my deposit but could sell the car to someone else offering a higher price. Video 4:10 in

Tony
Old 09-09-2019, 01:24 PM
Cman01
Melting Slicks

A local dealer to me was able to inquire @ GM Canada for me, nice of the salesperson to do this even though I didn't buy the car there.

It's currently stuck in the GM Toledo railyard waiting to continue its journey to Manitoba, the person he talked to on the other end will attempt to expedite the car outta there so hopefully that will get it moving sooner to my dealership. (surprising my selling dealer couldn't do this)

A big thank you to that person at the local dealership, I will have no problem referring him to anyone I know for future sales and also myself personally when I buy my next GM car.

Tony
Old 09-09-2019, 03:39 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,188 Likes on 3,440 Posts

Do like I did... wait for the dealer rep to call me when it came in. No angst along the way.
Old 09-09-2019, 03:45 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,238 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Let me say this I work at a Chevrolet dealership and anytime cars or trucks are shipped by train it is a long wait. We just had a Camaro sit in Toledo rail yard for 6 months until it arrive at our dealership. We made GM buy it back because of the delay.
Old 09-10-2019, 10:41 AM
Cman01
Melting Slicks

I sent my concerns to the GM of the dealership and late yesterday did get a response:

"Thank you for your patience as we continue to work through this. On behalf of everyone at the dealership, we are sorry for the delay.

Hopefully I can shed some light on your questions and give you some answers.

Regarding the shipped parts items – these are called LPO’s and are parts that are ordered on vehicles from the factory, but are installed at the dealership. This dealership does not normally order vehicles with LPOs so this is new to Vxxx. He was mistaken on the answer he gave you regarding being shipped with the vehicle as they are typically shipped separately (some LPOs are shipped with the vehicle, but obviously not in this case as they are quite large). I will confirm with my Parts Manager in the morning to verify that the LPO parts have arrived. They likely have as I have not heard any issues, but I will double check in the morning.

Regarding the shipping of the vehicle. GM Canada knows where the vehicle is, but they are unable to give us an update as to an ETA. The vehicle has been ‘Bayed’ in Toledo Ohio since July 17th (see Event History below). We have experienced this in the past out of this facility but this is taking longer than normal. I have already escalated this matter to the Western Regional Manager – this is the individual that will be able to get this vehicle moving and hopefully get us an ETA. He has assured me he will pursue this and I expect to hear an answer back over the next day or so. This is extremely unfortunate to say the least but I want to assure you the dealership has been in weekly communication with General Motors Canada for updates since the Bayed status. Delays in shipping can happen, however this one is taking longer than anticipated.

Again, my sincerest apologies on the delay. I will look into the LPO parts tomorrow morning and let you know. And I will let you know as soon as I hear word back from the Regional Manager at General Motors. "

I also got a screen shot of the status codes of the car from ordering to its current status, basically as of right now the car has sat in the railyard now almost pushing 2 months, I hope it gets moving soon didn't really want the car there at all for any length of time much less sitting there that long.

Tony

edit: GM just sent me an email with a picture of the ZTK box sitting in the parts dept. showing the VIN of my car. I had contacted him via email yesterday aftn. and in less than a day got the info I wanted to know after hearing nothing from my salesperson over the last few weeks. GM is on the ball (why can't salespeople be like that)??

Last edited by Cman01; 09-10-2019 at 11:27 AM.
Old 09-10-2019, 11:08 AM
azcanuk
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 120 Posts

Get your dealer to activate On-star and then track it using the app.

One downfall, once vehicle has not been started for X days it continues to show the last location even if the vehicle is not there, IE: if on train and train moves will not show current location. However once car is started up to load/unload new location will show.

Track it all the way to your dealer and then be there when transport comes in with it loaded, get some nice shots of it coming off transport.

Old 09-11-2019, 07:13 AM
Grand Slam
Drifting

Received 558 Likes on 361 Posts

Wow. I thought the three weeks my car sat at the rail yard was long but 2 months?

Once it's loaded into a rail car your dealer should be able to get the rail car number. The railroad (in the US) has a hot line to get status of rail cars however when I used it the status remained at the yard even after it arrived in California.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:31 AM
Cman01
Melting Slicks

I got the news quick from the GM of the dealership, now I wait for news from him about the regional manager's attempt to get the car moving out of that railyard.

I also emailed the transport company we'll see if anything comes out of that.

Last edited by Cman01; 09-12-2019 at 08:39 PM.
Old 09-11-2019, 11:12 AM
Vernon
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by Cman01
I got the news quick from the GM of the dealership, now I wait for news from him about the district manager's attempt to get the car moving out of that railyard.

I also emailed the transport company we'll see if anything comes out of that.

"Cup Half Full"...the dealership's GM response gives you assurances the car exists, it is YOURS, and it will arrive...you will get your special ZR1.

Congrats!

And great of the dealership GM to communicate this information to you...

"Cup Half Full"
Old 09-11-2019, 07:14 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,238 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Everything the GM told you is true. You are being held hostage by the railroad. The truck drivers that deliver Corvettes to my dealership tell me GM is looking very hard at going back to shipping the new C8 by truck only. Too many delays and damage by train. Also I don't know if will have any effect but GM may go on strike Sunday

Last edited by Corvette ED; 09-11-2019 at 07:15 PM.
Old 09-13-2019, 09:42 AM
Cman01
Melting Slicks

a few more emails between the GM and myself:

On Sep 12, 2019, at 6:02 PM,
Hi Mr. Rxxxxx, did you find out information from the Regional Manager about getting the ZR1 moving out of the railyard?

Now that I've had a day or so to digest the info you gave me I can't believe that the car has sat in the railyard for almost 2 months. The car was built July 16 and the next day was in the railyard in Toledo where it has sat all this time.

My concern is people moving the car numerous times (short starts and shutdowns) to perhaps get other vehicles out of spots to load on the railcar, and my main concern...………...people there putting unnecessary mileage on the car on joyrides and such. I do hope that the car arrives at Birchwood without too much mileage accumulated on it. All the new cars that I have purchased usually have anywhere between 5-20kms on them if there is more than that on the ZR1 when it shows up I'm not going to be too happy about that.

Let me know if you have any info from the Regional Manager tomorrow about his attempt to get the ZR1 moving.

GM response yesterday:

Mr Chan,

I heard back from GM yesterday, my apologies as I got tied up and wasn’t able to reach out to you before end of day.

We have been given an ETA for your ZR1 to arrive at the dealership either end of September or first week of October. I would imagine there is some buffer time allowed in that so it could arrive earlier, but we will keep a watch on it and keep you posted.

I understand your concerns around extra miles on the vehicle, that sort of thing just doesn’t happen. There are pretty strict controls at the factory and at the dealerships to avoid that, with extra sensitivity on rare vehicles such as the ZR1. There should be no reason why it wouldn’t have 7-20 km on it when it arrives.

Best regards, talk soon

I asked him to let me know if he gets news of the car FINALLY moving out of the railyard so hopefully it won't sit there for much longer. *crossing my fingers*

Get notified of new replies

To What are my options to locate where my ZR1 is???

Quick Reply: What are my options to locate where my ZR1 is???