See for yourself- top is inlet, correct:

http://www.eliteengineeringusa.com/i...tructions.html
Old 06-01-2014, 09:04 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,640 Likes on 6,640 Posts

Originally Posted by C7FEVER
Ok so Ken said that Elite had the in/out reversed. Looking at his install it looks like the top hose goes to the inlet and the lower hose to the exit on the side, Is that correct?
I have a Z51.
I followed the Elite instructions, which are logical. The can outlet, side fitting, goes to the manifold hose barb, which is the top one. The other engine hose barb goes to the can inlet, the one on top of the can. The flow is from the engine to the manifold.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:49 PM
C7FEVER
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JerryU
I followed the Elite instructions, which are logical. The can outlet, side fitting, goes to the manifold hose barb, which is the top one. The other engine hose barb goes to the can inlet, the one on top of the can. The flow is from the engine to the manifold.
That's how I mounted mine. Just want to make sure my directions were the correct ones if indeed there was a misprint at one point.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 06-02-2014, 02:25 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,952 Likes on 5,345 Posts

Have never seen what good these things do. Since 1997 have had an LS1, LS6 and LS7 and never used a catch can. When my LS7 dropped a valve at 22K miles (including 4K track miles) and the heads were pulled the cylinders looked good (other than the hammered one).

It looks to me like a catch can is a solution to a non problem.

Bill
Old 06-02-2014, 02:33 AM
Theta
Tech Contributor

Received 219 Likes on 110 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

I feel bad for how hard Bill is about to get flamed (as a fellow Tech Contributor)...

Bill, you might want to start by reviewing the TSBs on oil pooled in the intakes, etc. I won't be harsh on you, but a few others might.
Old 06-02-2014, 03:35 AM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

That came out wrong... don't flame Bill (until he reads the TSBs and threads).
Old 06-02-2014, 07:44 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Have never seen what good these things do. Since 1997 have had an LS1, LS6 and LS7 and never used a catch can. When my LS7 dropped a valve at 22K miles (including 4K track miles) and the heads were pulled the cylinders looked good (other than the hammered one).

Bill
No flames, but the LT1 with DI is different than prior port injection. In fact if you have been using quality gasoline, it has added “cleaners” to help reduce coking. In fact I just started to use Top Tier gasoline in my C7 to help with combustion chamber build-up (also found a Shell station which has high test just $0.10/gallon over the Sam’s Club where I had been buying gas for the C6.) With DI no gasoline passing the intake valves! When I saw Ferrari and Porsche folks concerned about the issue with their DI high performance engines, which they have had for several years, thought this was cheap insurance.
Pic is one I put together. Not meant to be accurate and I'm not sure how bad coking will be with the C7 and it no doubt depends on how the car is driven. However easy to add and I’ll see how much contaminated oil I find!
PS: Your comment did make me think about my old boss who, when he saw someone doing what he thought was irrational in our R&D lab, he would say with distain, “Your solving a problem not known to exist using a method known not to work!”

Last edited by JerryU; 06-02-2014 at 07:47 AM.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:35 AM
Nicky43
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

Bill
Bill,
As Jerry says above with Direct Injected Engines running a Catch Can is even more important than in non-DI engines but I have always added catch cans to all my non-DI cars anyway. Without fail every time I do an oil change and empty that can (every 3K miles) I find a quarter to a half cup of very ugly dirty black oil that surely was headed back to my intake system to muddy up the intake manifold and valves for sure.

If you don't plan on keeping your car long it is a non-issue but over time that stuff can gum up the works and reduce engine performance.
A $150.00 catch can that is easy for anyone to install in 30 minutes is a great form of insurance.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:31 PM
Q8 c7
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ordered the original elite catch can for my z51 dry sump,too late to cancel it...
Can i do the installation & then add the clean air separator.....
Will that be fine & do the job??
Old 06-04-2014, 09:48 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 951 Likes on 498 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Q8 c7
I ordered the original elite catch can for my z51 dry sump,too late to cancel it...
Just get the clean side and you'll be fine....
Old 06-05-2014, 02:49 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Q8 c7
Sure, you're solving too different issues. They are not connected. Will just cost you another $5 for shipping, no big deal.
Old 06-05-2014, 02:53 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by KenHorse
Replying to my own post! What is this world coming to!

Just wanted to update - Steve contacted me and we're solid - he's handling things and I have no doubt it'll be done with professionalism and concern for his customers

(he's a standup guy )
Steve really didn't go into any detail (yet) about the fix as he didn't have my color 3 Port catch can (blue) in stock but will in a week or two. But he did commit to making it right and I have no reason to doubt that he will.

I assume he will clue me in as to the details of what is involved and how they'll handle the exchange (although I did offer my opinion as to the best way to handle the exchange).
Well I hate to say this but I have heard NOTHING from Elite since I posted these over a month ago.

Steve......
Old 06-06-2014, 03:06 PM
time2run
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Well I hate to say this but I have heard NOTHING from Elite since I posted these over a month ago.

Steve......
Steve and I have exchanged a couple of emails but nothing to rectify the single exit catch can issue on a Z51.

I did run out of patience and ordered the E2 dual exit catch can and also the clean-air oil separator for the Z51 since I plan to put a lot of miles on the car the next few weeks. I installed both this morning and here are a few of my observations.

1. The clean-air oil separator stumped me for a few minutes. The hose barb fitting is in the way of everything trying to screw the unit in place. If you separate the two pieces and just install the bottom part, the top half still gets in the way. After a few minutes of thinking WWTD (what would Theta do) I realized the hose barb will unscrew from the housing allowing the unit to be installed as one piece. After this, simply screw the bard back in and connect the hose.
2. The issue with number 1 is if you ever want to add oil or change oil you have to take the hose loose, disconnect the barb and unscrew the separator and then do your thing. Herein lies another issue. When you try to remove the separator it wants to unscrew from the top half leaving the bottom half still in the dry sump. Just another issue you have to deal with if and when you want to get this thing off for one reason or another.
3. The E2 dual exit catch can is larger than the original single exit catch can and the second exit gets in the way of the wire bundles. You have to rotate the can about 20 degrees to the left to get everything connected and finalize the installation of the catch can. Not a real issue just doesn't look quite as neat IMO.
4. Elite provides a plastic 3/8 ID x 1/4" MIP fitting that you are supposed to install in the breather tube just in front of the throttle body. Do yourself a favor and throw that thing away and go to Lowes and purchase a brass version. It will thread into the tube easier and has a sturdier feel after it's connected to the tube.
5. Minor gripe here but no hose clamps were provided with the kit. They were provided with the single exit can. probably not really necessary however it does offer some added insurance if the line slips off the barb.

All in all the two items are installed and hopefully operational. I'll find out this weekend.
Old 06-07-2014, 02:48 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by time2run
Steve and I have exchanged a couple of emails but nothing to rectify the single exit catch can issue on a Z51.

I did run out of patience and ordered the E2 dual exit catch can and also the clean-air oil separator for the Z51 since I plan to put a lot of miles on the car the next few weeks. I installed both this morning and here are a few of my observations.

1. The clean-air oil separator stumped me for a few minutes. The hose barb fitting is in the way of everything trying to screw the unit in place. If you separate the two pieces and just install the bottom part, the top half still gets in the way. After a few minutes of thinking WWTD (what would Theta do) I realized the hose barb will unscrew from the housing allowing the unit to be installed as one piece. After this, simply screw the bard back in and connect the hose.
2. The issue with number 1 is if you ever want to add oil or change oil you have to take the hose loose, disconnect the barb and unscrew the separator and then do your thing. Herein lies another issue. When you try to remove the separator it wants to unscrew from the top half leaving the bottom half still in the dry sump. Just another issue you have to deal with if and when you want to get this thing off for one reason or another.
3. The E2 dual exit catch can is larger than the original single exit catch can and the second exit gets in the way of the wire bundles. You have to rotate the can about 20 degrees to the left to get everything connected and finalize the installation of the catch can. Not a real issue just doesn't look quite as neat IMO.
4. Elite provides a plastic 3/8 ID x 1/4" MIP fitting that you are supposed to install in the breather tube just in front of the throttle body. Do yourself a favor and throw that thing away and go to Lowes and purchase a brass version. It will thread into the tube easier and has a sturdier feel after it's connected to the tube.
5. Minor gripe here but no hose clamps were provided with the kit. They were provided with the single exit can. probably not really necessary however it does offer some added insurance if the line slips off the barb.

All in all the two items are installed and hopefully operational. I'll find out this weekend.
Re Items 1 and 2: I tighened the two pieces together with enough force so they would not separate when turned to remove. To install, I found all I had to do was grab the plastic trim where the barb hit and pull it up with my left hand while turning the "separator" clockwise to tighten. You do have to remove the hose to fill with oil but it slips on-off easily. Item 5, package came with 2 clamps which may be all that are needed. We use those constant tension clamps in our business so had extra I used in the install. Made 8 page PDF with pics of the install: http://netwelding.com/catch_can.pdf

Last edited by JerryU; 06-07-2014 at 02:54 AM.
Old 06-07-2014, 07:49 AM
mjw930
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Theta
I feel bad for how hard Bill is about to get flamed (as a fellow Tech Contributor)...

Bill, you might want to start by reviewing the TSBs on oil pooled in the intakes, etc. I won't be harsh on you, but a few others might.
Actually the TSB on oil pooling is a separate issue from intake valve coking and the catch can.

The oil pooling is caused by too much oil in the dry sump oil tank "burping" back through the tank vent into the intake air runner by the air filter. No part is needed to prevent this, just a properly filled oil tank. You can put on the clean side separator, which is nothing more than an oil tank cap with a stainless mesh to catch the liquid before it gets to the intake, if you are feeling particularly paranoid.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:51 AM
Elite Engineering
Supporting Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
St. jude Donor '14

Steve......
I sent you a PM, hopefully we are good. Sorry for the delayed response. No excuses.
Old 06-07-2014, 03:32 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by mjw930
Actually the TSB on oil pooling is a separate issue from intake valve coking and the catch can.

The oil pooling is caused by too much oil in the dry sump oil tank "burping" back through the tank vent into the intake air runner by the air filter. No part is needed to prevent this, just a properly filled oil tank. You can put on the clean side separator, which is nothing more than an oil tank cap with a stainless mesh to catch the liquid before it gets to the intake, if you are feeling particularly paranoid.
As the person who supplied the forum with that TSB, I thank you for the clarification.

In properly-filled vehicles, there is also a growing trend of oil pooling/seepage from the PCV recirc in the intake tube causing buildup in both that pipe (heading toward the MAF section) along with manifolds that are coated. Mine was absolutely coated (at 500mi) from TB to head ports in oil, had an oily air tube, and was properly filled, as I dumped the factory oil within the first few days of owning the car.

But regardless, it was more in good fun. I run the huge LMR can and deleted the entire PCV system, so I guess I'm one of the tin-foil, third level paranoid crowd.

Get notified of new replies

To Install Catch Can in C7 Info?

Old 06-07-2014, 07:28 PM
time2run
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by JerryU
Re Items 1 and 2: I tighened the two pieces together with enough force so they would not separate when turned to remove. To install, I found all I had to do was grab the plastic trim where the barb hit and pull it up with my left hand while turning the "separator" clockwise to tighten. You do have to remove the hose to fill with oil but it slips on-off easily. Item 5, package came with 2 clamps which may be all that are needed. We use those constant tension clamps in our business so had extra I used in the install. Made 8 page PDF with pics of the install: http://netwelding.com/catch_can.pdf
Jerry- I found your tech tips and they were very useful installing the catch can and clean air separator. Many thanks for that and other tips on your site.

I did try your tip about pulling the plastic up but could not get the hose barb to clear the metal lip under the plastic cover. I guess all cars are not created equal? The only way I could get the separator installed was to remove the barb as mentioned above.

I also tried to tighten the two pieces but they continued to separate whenever I attempted to remove the separator. I can live with this as it should only need to come off once a year or so.

On the tension clamps I had some extra as well but had the opportunity to complain so thought I would for the heck of it.

Thanks.
Old 06-07-2014, 07:44 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by time2run
Jerry- I found your tech tips and they were very useful installing the catch can and clean air separator. Many thanks for that and other tips on your site.

I did try your tip about pulling the plastic up but could not get the hose barb to clear the metal lip under the plastic cover. I guess all cars are not created equal? The only way I could get the separator installed was to remove the barb as mentioned above.

I also tried to tighten the two pieces but they continued to separate whenever I attempted to remove the separator. I can live with this as it should only need to come off once a year or so.

On the tension clamps I had some extra as well but had the opportunity to complain so thought I would for the heck of it.

Thanks.
Thanks. As you said, all cars are somewhat different; like being able to close the rear hatch without the door open, which I still can't since October! I'lll keep your solution in mind as well.

Last edited by JerryU; 06-07-2014 at 07:47 PM.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:59 AM
StingRaycer
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Who makes catch cans other than Elite?
Who Makes the best catch can?

Quick Reply: Install Catch Can in C7 Info?