C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for comments from C7 owners who owned a GS and have driven 991/981 Porsches

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 08:32 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Default Looking for comments from C7 owners who owned a GS and have driven 991/981 Porsches

Hi gang. My '12 GS Centennial is gone (owned it for 2-1/2 years), and I was going to order a new $99K Cayman S (or GTS), but have had bad experiences with dealers, and with no local dealer anywhere close, I'm having second thoughts about a Porsche right now. And there's nothing else worth considering that I can think of with RWD, NA engine (preferrably V8), a manual tranny, and most importantly, fun to drive. Promised myself never to buy another Corvette (or GM car) after quality issues with all of them, but am reluctantly going to consider the C7 due to lack of choices. Here are my questions, which hope folks here can answer:

1. Does anybody know if the Tremec 7-sp manual on the Z51s has normal gears, and not the POS 2nd gear of C6 GSs with the side teeth that crunched when cold? Mine also crunched in 2-3, so hope GM/Tremec somehow addressed those issues. And how about the synchronizer rings? Are they all of them carbon now? And no, won't make the mistake again of buying ANY car sight unseen. I'd have caught the crunching issue on my GS since it was there since new, and I'd have refused delivery, even though it's considered normal.

2. Is the C7 quieter than the GS on the highway? The answer better be yes or it'd be a deal-breaker, but how much quieter? Assuming the noise level at 80 mph on the GS was a 10, how quieter would you rate the Stingray? I'm hoping to at least see an 8 . Not asking for Lexus quiet, but my GS was insanely loud, at least on the crappy roads in the entire southwest, where I drive the most.

3. Did GM finally put a properly located bleed valve on the clutch's slave cylinder? And is the slave itself a different design than the POS on C6s?

4. Is it worth spending the 2 grand on the magnetic shocks? All 4 of mine were leaking slightly on my centennial, and GM wouldn't change them until leaking was a stream, so not impressed with their quality, hence my asking. And is there any other benefit, like a lower ride height? GM's site doesn't say anything. And how about the ride? I'd like to hear comparisons of the regular vs magnetic shocks. There's no other difference, like sway bar diameter, etc., with that option, correct?

5. Does the stupid roof creaks like on C6s? It was driving me nuts on the '12 GS. Disappointed it's not fixed, even on the upcoming Z06.

6. Any issues with the new, more complicated engine, or anything else that I should wait for the 2015 models for better reliability?

7. Finally, the most important reason for me wanting to buy a Cayman S/GTS was the FUN TO DRIVE factor. I know it's worse than the Vette in most or all performance categories, but that's not what I'm after. The Cayman S has enough performance for me, so anything above that is just icing on the cake. I'd like to hear how C7 owners compare the driving experience with a manual Cayman S or even a 911 (regular or S). I'll attempt to drive a C7 in the future, but want to hear comments on my other questions too before I even declare it worth considering. Thanks a million for your input folks.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:44 PM
6spdg37s
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

If you want a porsche my buddy is a porsche dealer here in NJ...not sure where you are located but I also tried to PM you and I can't.. please send me a PM if you are interested in getting in touch with him to order.

Also I didn't get my c7 vette yet so I cant compare that but I did have a c6 z06, and drove the cayman and the 991s. I am still choosing the vette (clearly) over the porshces... the cayman is too small for me and the 991s is just so expensive I could get 2 c7s for 1 991s. Also they all lack low end torque which I find extremely frustrating. Hope that helps !
Old 04-24-2014, 09:30 PM
entman
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts

I have my 2013 Porsche 911 for sale on autotrader for 78 k with 12 k miles. Silver / black . Near mint, clean car fax, lots of options . It was just under 100 k new last year. Good opportunity if you want a 911 . I ordered a 3lt corvette conv. as I get tired of my cars.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:54 PM
ErnieD
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 43 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'19

If you haven't read this article, it might be worth it for a few comparative ideas between the C7 and the 911 Carrera S.
http://www.topgear.com/uk/photos/911...ray-2014-04-07
Old 04-24-2014, 10:38 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 6spdg37s
If you want a porsche my buddy is a porsche dealer here in NJ.
Yes, please. PM is reactivated now, but will PM you myself after finishing this post. Thanks a lot.

Originally Posted by entman
I have my 2013 Porsche 911 for sale on autotrader for 78 k with 12 k miles. Silver / black . Near mint, clean car fax, lots of options . It was just under 100 k new last year. Good opportunity if you want a 911.
Thanks, but I prefer the Cayman, and I'd want either one loaded to the gills anyway, but thank you for offering it to me . Good luck with the sale.

Originally Posted by Smkn 07
If you haven't read this article, it might be worth it for a few comparative ideas between the C7 and the 911 Carrera S.
It was good; thank you very much. And I was pleased to read the Vette finally has better quality than the almost kit-car one on the C6 .

I forgot to ask a question: Is it possible to permanently deactivate cylinder deactivation with either a driving mode or dash option? If the latter, which driving modes include it and which ones don't? And how about start/stop? How can you deactivate that thing? Don't want any of that crap active. Thanks gang.
Old 04-25-2014, 11:31 AM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

So no answers to any of my questions???

Just learned the answer to another question I forgot to ask, and it's not good news for the quality on the rest of the car: GM didn't fix for the freaking FOURTH time the oil ingestion issue on their PCV. Seems like this stupid engine still needs a catch can; geez. Anyway, checking one out today; hope to read some answers later on today, to see if I'm going to consider it or not. Thanks.
Old 04-25-2014, 11:35 AM
evilmonkey
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
I forgot to ask a question: Is it possible to permanently deactivate cylinder deactivation with either a driving mode or dash option? If the latter, which driving modes include it and which ones don't? And how about start/stop? How can you deactivate that thing? Don't want any of that crap active. Thanks gang.
Cylinder deactivation only occurs in ECO mode.
Old 04-25-2014, 11:49 AM
Modshack
Safety Car

Received 444 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by evilmonkey
And there is no Start/Stop
Old 04-25-2014, 12:02 PM
Modshack
Safety Car

1. Does anybody know if the Tremec 7-sp manual on the Z51s has normal gears, and not the POS 2nd gear of C6 GSs with the side teeth that crunched when cold?

2. Is the C7 quieter than the GS on the highway?

3. Did GM finally put a properly located bleed valve on the clutch's slave cylinder? And is the slave itself a different design than the POS on C6s?

4. Is it worth spending the 2 grand on the magnetic shocks?
6. Any issues with the new, more complicated engine, or anything else that I should wait for the 2015 models for better reliability?

7. Finally, the most important reason for me wanting to buy a Cayman S/GTS was the FUN TO DRIVE factor.
1) I have no experience with this particular trans, but a friend recently purchased a manual and says the shifting has smoothed considerably at the 2K miles point. He reports no graunching or other issues
He's coming from numerous Manual Audis and VW's..

2) Yes...IMO. I spent some time soundproofing my C6. I feel no need to do this on the C7

3) Dunno, but I suspect the basic design has not changed.

4) Most here say yes. It's a new generation system that appears to be much better than the old.

5) I've noticed none of the C6 creaking. The roof is a VERY tight fit. The 60% stiffer chassis is the likely reason here.

6) There do not appear to be any recurring issues or reliablity problems. Well over 20K produced now.

7) I just sold a Cayman S for the c7. I've had 9 porsches. I was intrigued with the fact that the Corvette had finally gone "euro" in design, handling, interior quality etc. I will say, My Cayman S (06) was a lousy traveling car. My wife hated it. Noisy and stiff. She (much to her surprise) loves the C7. I do too. Recognize that they are 2 very different cars. I wanted to build myself a comfortable GT. Adding a few parts to my base car and I'm there. I am enjoying it more than the Cayman actually. It will get a serious mountain workout next week and I'm sure I will not be disappointed, it feels that good. On the Cayman, it was a "close to the bone" car. Instant everything with Cat like reflexes. The C7 is it's equal in most situations, but feels somewhat bigger (smaller than a C6 though). I've adapted to that and find the C7 a bit smoother when it comes to inputs. Endless Torque and Horsepower are also nice IMO. $99K for the GTs?? Whlle the new Gen Cayman is a very nice car, I think Porsche is really pushing the numbers at that price. Expect Numbing depreciation there. I can sell my C7 now for more than I paid for it.

Good luck with your decision.

Last edited by Modshack; 04-25-2014 at 12:09 PM.
Old 04-25-2014, 03:40 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Are you sure? Just came back from a dealer (could only see one with the windows closed), and the brochure says AFM is always active in ALL modes, but more aggressive in ECO mode. There's even a table and it says exactly that. I just want to make sure it can be deactivated. On my brother's new Grand Cherokee SRT it CANNOT be deactivated, and it's annoying as hell, since it drones in 4-cyl mode. Hopefully we can hear from others.

Originally Posted by Modshack
And there is no Start/Stop
Really? That's music to my ears . Although you can usually deactivate it in all cars. The AFM is a much bigger issue for me; hope it can be somehow deactivated permanently some other way (it can't thru the modes, apparently).

Originally Posted by Modshack
The C7 is it's equal in most situations, but feels somewhat bigger (smaller than a C6 though). I've adapted to that and find the C7 a bit smoother when it comes to inputs.
Great post; thank you very much. And glad to hear the C7 is a bit quieter than the C6. That's all I was asking .

Another question folks: The competition seats look great. Are they as comfortable as the GT ones, or have less padding? And do they retain the SAME power adjustments and memory? And how about heating and cooling? If equally comfortable than the GT ones, and with the same features, I'd definitely choose those. But if not, I'd go with the GT ones, since I'm mostly going to use the car for trips. Thanks gang.
Old 04-25-2014, 04:27 PM
perrazi mx-15
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

don't buy a Porsche unless a dealer or Porsche specialty shop is nearby. you will be needing them at some point. that is the reason I didn't buy a very nice 09 cabrio. closest dealer was 200 miles. no thank you on that hassle.
Old 04-25-2014, 05:16 PM
GreginNH
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Only if you have a manual transmission. If you have an auto, it happens in every mode except for manual mode using paddle shifters. Not sure about track mode yet!
Old 04-25-2014, 05:20 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,447 Likes on 2,272 Posts

The AFM activates only in eco mode on the manual trans car, and the car does not go to eco mode on startup. Thus, with a manual trans car, the only way you'll have AFM, is if you affirmatively choose to have it and you select eco mode.

It activates in all modes on the auto trans car, except when the auto trans is put into manual paddle shift mode.

So the answer depends on which transmission you get.

It's also pretty easy to tune it out.
Old 04-25-2014, 05:25 PM
Modshack
Safety Car

Originally Posted by GreginNH
Only if you have a manual transmission. If you have an auto, it happens in every mode except for manual mode using paddle shifters. Not sure about track mode yet!
It will not activate in track mode with the auto (or manual shift mode as noted)
and to the OP, Honestly, this feature is invisible. If it weren't for the light on the dash, you wouldn't realize it was in 4 cylinder mode, the transitions are that smooth. Any throttle tip in and it's instantly back to V8 mode. You'll see instantaneous MPG in ther low to mid 30's. Seems to me this would make it the perfect trip car.
If you've ever hooked up a scangauge to a car it only takes 20-30 hp to maintain speed at 60-70 mph. V4 mode makes 122 hp so even it is not working hard..

Reports are the Comp seats a a bit harder and may not be appropriate for some for touring. The base seats are quite excellent though

Last edited by Modshack; 04-25-2014 at 05:43 PM.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:54 PM
Al Gumby
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Oh, worry no more about black clutch fluid taking out your master cylinder, as in the C6's. A brilliant piece of engineering brings us the C7 with the master cylinder reservoir made of no-see-thru black plastic. Does that sound like a GM problem solving technique or what? Cracks me up. Out of sight, out of mind.

I know the OP had a tough time with his GS, but I think he should try a C7. There are good Vettes (keepers), and not so good Vettes (for sale), with a little luck he may get a dandy this time. And as we all know (well, most of us), ain't nothin' like a good Vette.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:56 PM
ltdodge
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I don’t have a C7 but I had a 2008 C6 Z06 before I got my 981 cayman a few months back. It’s hard to compare both because the z06 is a beast. However comparing both of them I do notice that even though the C7 has drastically changed their interior compared to the C6, I fell my base 981 interior is as good or better than the c7. Until a few years pass we won’t know how the c7 or 981 interior will hold up. I do know that I replaced my seat covers on my z06 with new gm covers and within 2 months the bottoms were already creased and it looked like crap. My 981 base sport seats still look brand new with no creases after 6 months of ownership and its my daily driver. What I do regret is not getting the s model since I settled for a base. If I were to do it again I would opt for the 981s. The C7 is a bad as car, but im curious if GM have stepped to their game to make them last. Only you can decide and im sure if you post the same question in the Porsche forums you will be getting negative reviews on the C7, just like the Porsche gets negative reviews in a competitors forum.

When I was looking for a car back in October I went to the Porsche dealer and the Chevrolet dealer and it went like this. Me: I like your c& and im ready to deal, can I take a test drive? Dealer: NO! Me: can I sit inside it? Dealer: NO! Me: then how do I know if I want one? Dealer: Well buy it , then you can drive it. Went straight to Porsche that day. Me: I like your 911 and 981 dealer: which one do you want to test drive? Me: both dealer sure lets start in the 911 ( sticker price $120,000). Drove it like I stole it, dealer told me to push it harder… couldn’t afford the 911 so I got a 981 instead. was not too happy how they treated me nor im happy how GM rather pay for lawsuits for dead people than recall some cars...

Attached are pics of what I have done with my car. Lowered on H&R’s, installed mesh wheels and installed front spoiler.

Old 04-25-2014, 08:21 PM
Trans C7
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had the 991S Grand Sport and C7

the 991 s is a fabulous car in PDK, 11.9 quarter out of 400hp, they tested one against a Grand Sport in the rain and the P car destroyed the Grand Sport, I was not a fan of the Grand Sport and sold it, I sold the P car and bought a C7, my opinion the C7 is much approved over the GS but no where near the feel of a 991s, Porsche just builds great cars, I like the C7 for all of its improvements and look, and I can mod it , modding a Porsche is crazy expensive. The new Gt3 475 hp PDK is a 11.0 car, I don't know if the new Zo6 will out run it in the quarter, but on the big end will start to pull due to the hp advantage, C7 or 991 you will be happy with either

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for comments from C7 owners who owned a GS and have driven 991/981 Porsches

Old 04-25-2014, 08:22 PM
Translator
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-t...pp-issues.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-t...th-the-c7.html
Old 04-25-2014, 08:29 PM
Moto One
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 101 Posts

Having spent time (a lot of time) in both the 991, 981, and the new C7 Z51, any of the Three are a good choice. Budget is the big factor if buying. PDK is the way to go in ether Carrera or Cayman, 4S in the 991 P-Cars are real all weather drivers.The M7 in the Corvette would be my choice, and with the torq that's available the gear ratios are a great match, but that may change when the 8 speed auto comes out next year. (that's if GM and program it to shift quick and solid) We will see.

Now if GM would color match some of the vent accents, I think it wold really improve the visual look of the C7.

Mark.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:59 PM
Tennis & Golf Nut
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 314 Posts

My brother has a Cayman S. Nice car, but not the great quality I expected from a Porsche.

Handles great, can turn on dime. But...

...and it's a BIG but, slow as hell. My Vette smokes his car.

The new Z seems like it is has substantially better interior, quality and performance.

If both cars are around a $100k, there is NO way in hell I'm buying that slow-*** Cayman.

Every time my brother gets in my Vette he always says "man, this torque and acceleration is awesome".

Now if were talking about a GT3 or Turbo then were talking a different game.

Bottom line: I like and need SPEED. The Cayman ain't got it.

P.S. You can't see the engine in a Cayman either.

Quick Reply: Looking for comments from C7 owners who owned a GS and have driven 991/981 Porsches