Sponsored by:

Artic White Z51 Coupe Detailed

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 11:19 AM
Thepiazza
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Artic White Z51 Coupe Detailed

Just wanted to formally introduce myself. I've been hanging around since I decided a new vette was going to be in my immediate future. First off I'd like to thank everyone for all their helpful input that is provided here on a daily basis! This made my ordering process go flawlessly. My order for a Z51 AW coupe was submitted in early Jan. when the plant reopened after the Christmas holiday. The car was bourn on 3/13 and arrived here at my local dealer on 3/27. I have to say this is one well built, good looking, and great handling automobile!
As far as deciding what course to take with the first real detailing since I had my dealer skip this process. I found the Adams product quite interesting as well as extensive. Instead of placing a huge order for something I never used before I came across a local dealer which I found right on their website. The car was detailed last Fri. and came out great! The process went as follows.

1) Clayed
2) Polished (Flex Buffer)
3) 2 thin coats of carnauba paste wax (By Hand)
4) Glass sealant
5) Exhaust tips polished
6) Wiped down interior
7) Dressed tires and wheel wells

All in all the products seemed very easy to use and definitely enhanced my cars finish. The only problem was the overcast day we had down here. None of the pictures from outside really showed the new look of the car. The first picture is before and the second is the finished product. The garage lighting was more helpful then the sunlight that day.
The last pic. was included only because I just happened to have my daily driver scheduled that following Monday for its yearly detail. I bought this car new back in 08 and have only used a product called Diamond Shine Plus from a company called Detail plus. The product is more of a sealant and offers remarkable longevity. One application last 10 to 12 months!
As far as a side by side comparison goes, it's really hard to compare. I've always had darker colored cars so I'm use to my cars popping in our Florida sunshine. I will say a good polishing on a white car does make it a lot brighter! For those of you who went with AW as well you are going to love the contrast of those CF pieces along side of a freshly polished car!
Attached Images      
Old 04-23-2014, 11:21 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 926 Likes on 484 Posts
Tech Contributor

very nice!

How much $$?
Old 04-23-2014, 11:25 AM
wan65
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice, I get mine in two weeks, race blue, Z-51
Old 04-23-2014, 11:28 AM
Thepiazza
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Glen e
very nice!

How much $$?
The cost was $200...
I will probably be heading your way next week. Erik over at Lashway just called me yesterday to let me know my aero kit came in. So I think I'll finish me break-in period with a ride over to the other coast!
Old 04-23-2014, 11:31 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Tech Contributor

that is a great price...most detailers won't wash a car for 200.....

hold on to him....my only critique is carnuba in the upcoming florida heat washes off pretty quickly, like 3 months or so, have him use a sealant next time.

also, talk to erik about xpel on the splitter, they are getting a lot of rock hits... he is now looking at xpel, I was there last week.

Last edited by Glen e; 04-23-2014 at 11:34 AM.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:34 AM
Vipor
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

AAGGGGHHH!! You Florida guys are killing me. Every time I see pics of those tropical landscapes, palms, tile shingles... I just want to get up and move. I hope one day I can move over there. :-) Nice AW ride btw.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:22 PM
tcotta411
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts

Looks great. I should be doing mine next week. I am going to do it myself, after getting advice from Glen.
I will post before and afterimage too.

It sure would be nice to see more AW after detailing.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:31 PM
Thepiazza
Burning Brakes

Just notice that those pics. are horrible. Is there an ideal size or is it best to just post one high quality pic. Originally my pics. were kicked back due to file size. Any tips?
Old 04-23-2014, 01:41 PM
Stein
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm going with Glen's process, I just ordered what I needed and the items are suppose to arrive tomorrow, so then I will get started. But in the mean time this is what it looks like now.

Old 04-23-2014, 01:44 PM
Orange05_C6
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very nice. You have the car set up I want in the next few years. Blue Laguna c7 and a white or black 2012 ish CTS for my work car
Old 04-23-2014, 04:48 PM
volvos80
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Please allow me to add my detailing of my white C7 here as well

Coming from the world of import vehicles to my first US made vehicle, a Corvette Stingray C7, my first reaction is what a great car. I have followed this forum for close to one year to see what others thought of the car. I have learned a lot from you who share your thoughts and ideas here, and I now wanted to share what I have done with my new C7 which we took delivery of at the end of March at the museum in KY.

First, the drive home to Minnesota was a great experience. A good time to break in the engine and enjoy a few days on the road. The trip had only one minor incident – I was paying the tool road to an attendant and she commented on the fast car. As I started to drive away, I hit the gas pedal a bit too hard, and the rear wheels spun lose and make a horrendous noise as I was perceived to speed away. I was very embarrassed, and was expecting to be stopped by a cop in a few minutes, but none showed up!

Here is what I have done to the new C7:
- Added carbon fiber ground effect runners and spoiler
- Added new rims with original tires
- Added the blade spoiler to the rear as I like that better than the Z51 version
- Replaced the driver side exterior mirror with convex custom made mirror
- Calked the seam between the hood and inner liner
- Calked the seam between the hatch and the inner black liner
- Added a weather stripping rubber gasket between the hatch and body
- Cut the original license plate holder to a smaller size to hold my plates
- Will fold the edges of the license plates over ¼” to make it smaller
- Painted the black assembly screws under the hood and hatch white
- Moved the seats away from the center console 1/8 inch to clear the carpet
- Covered the sun visor labels with carbon fiber plastic sheet
- Added the GM wider splash guards to all 4 wheels
- and have a few more plans but need the vehicle wiring diagrams to do….

I have added a few pictures here to show what I have done.
Attached Images      
Old 04-23-2014, 05:15 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Tech Contributor

so all those neat mods and we get pics of bolts??????

full side and 3/4 shot please!!!!!!!
Old 04-23-2014, 05:39 PM
Thepiazza
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Glen e
that is a great price...most detailers won't wash a car for 200.....

hold on to him....my only critique is carnuba in the upcoming florida heat washes off pretty quickly, like 3 months or so, have him use a sealant next time.

also, talk to erik about xpel on the splitter, they are getting a lot of rock hits... he is now looking at xpel, I was there last week.
I totally agree with you on that whole carnuba thing. That is why I choose to go with a sealant on my daily driver. That stuff is amazing! The fact that there is still resins left after 12 months of rainstorms, humidity, & Florida sun. I was just thinking since this car doesn't get used as much I would see what all the hype is concerning Adams and their products. Heck I'd be happy with just four or five months of just weekend driving.

I also brought up the XPEL product to Eric about three or four weeks ago when I stopped by on my way down to the port of Miami. I told him I just came from your local installer who is located right there in plantation. The company name is classic touch which is run by a fellow named Jim. I think I might've asked you a while back if you ever heard of him. This will be my first stop as I was very impressed with him and the product then off to Eric to have it lowered and side skirts along with front splinter installed!
Old 04-23-2014, 05:49 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Tech Contributor

Next time Adams "machine sealant ". - nice stuff...
Old 04-23-2014, 09:12 PM
bigblock427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,346 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Congratulations OP on your new Vette. I ordered one two weeks ago that looks just like yours. It seems most white Vettes have the black mirrors and spoilers. That is a nice look, but I prefer the white mirrors and spoilers. And that is what I ordered.

Most of the detailing products I use are Adams products. I have uses their polish and sealant for several years with very nice results. Mine is a daily driver, an the sealant easily holds up 4 to 6 months. I normally clay bar, polish, and wax my Vette every 4 to 6 months and the finish on my car is outstanding.

Again, congratulations on a great looking Vette.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:26 PM
Thepiazza
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bigblock427
Congratulations OP on your new Vette. I ordered one two weeks ago that looks just like yours. It seems most white Vettes have the black mirrors and spoilers. That is a nice look, but I prefer the white mirrors and spoilers. And that is what I ordered.

Most of the detailing products I use are Adams products. I have uses their polish and sealant for several years with very nice results. Mine is a daily driver, an the sealant easily holds up 4 to 6 months. I normally clay bar, polish, and wax my Vette every 4 to 6 months and the finish on my car is outstanding.

Again, congratulations on a great looking Vette.
Thanks man, glad to hear you went with white for your car as well! It truly is a beautiful combination when paired with all those black accents.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:32 PM
pietro c7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,157 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by Vipor
AAGGGGHHH!! You Florida guys are killing me. Every time I see pics of those tropical landscapes, palms, tile shingles... I just want to get up and move. I hope one day I can move over there. :-) Nice AW ride btw.
And your complaining?Look where I'm from....
I`ve been trying to buy a home in southwest florida for 3 months...beautiful place.
BTW OP ,very nice car

Get notified of new replies

To Artic White Z51 Coupe Detailed

Old 04-23-2014, 09:41 PM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

Is waxing up and doing all these beautification things really necessary for a brand new car?

I don't know, so I am asking. The OP 7 looks awesome. But didn't it look just as awesome rolling out he showrom floor?
Old 04-23-2014, 09:46 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by WICKEDFRC
Is waxing up and doing all these beautification things really necessary for a brand new car?

I don't know, so I am asking. The OP 7 looks awesome. But didn't it look just as awesome rolling out he showrom floor?

Many people take the car from the dealer telling him they don't want the dealer staff detailing the car, as many jobs are rushed, leaving "buffer trails" or holograms on the paint. So many detail after the fact, by themselves, or have it done by someone who they trust. Some want to add a more perm coating or other treatments. One thing is for certain, virtually all cars delivered could use a better polish step as the dealer never has time to do this right. It's a multi hour step.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:47 PM
Thepiazza
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pietro c7
And your complaining?Look where I'm from....
I`ve been trying to buy a home in southwest florida for 3 months...beautiful place.
BTW OP ,very nice car
Thanks a lot! When your ready to pull the trigger on a house down here my wife can definitely help you out. She's a realtor and has sold many winter homes to couples from up there. If you notice the house just beyond mine in the last pic. A couple recently bought that and they live up there in London...

Quick Reply: Artic White Z51 Coupe Detailed