C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who's buying extended warranties/or maintanence?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 06:35 PM
lizizvette
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Who's buying extended warranties/or maintanence?

Advanced, computer run cars seem to beg the question. What say you?
Old 04-22-2014, 06:51 PM
0CeYaBye
Former Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Warranties

I am selling a lot of the GM extended warranties and GM Tire & Wheel plans to Stingray owners, some days I can't even keep up on the emails so to answer your question, lots of STINGRAY Owners are buying them.

dfichtner@fichtnerchevrolet.com
Old 04-22-2014, 06:59 PM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

I usually wait until the end of the first year to get the "new car" price and an "extra" year at the end of the warranty.
I don't need a maintenance plan because my dealer offers 5 year free maintenance on all new cars so I'm good till 2019 (that seems so far off!).
Old 04-22-2014, 07:39 PM
coupeguyz51
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by lizizvette
Advanced, computer run cars seem to beg the question. What say you?
The c7 probably has more complicated electronics than the space shuttle! Don't even want to think out of pocket costs...
Old 04-22-2014, 08:33 PM
stevebz06
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by coupeguyz51
The c7 probably has more complicated electronics than the space shuttle! Don't even want to think out of pocket costs...
That's a ridiculous statement: it's WAY more complicated than the shuttle. And the amazing thing is, every other post is begging for more features and systems. I can't wait to see how people are tearing their hair out in 5 years trying to keep things working.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:47 PM
creeves84
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought an extended warranty from a forum dealer- up to 5 years, 40K miles, covers everything that the factory bumper to bumper covers. A small deductible when the factory bumper to bumper is over, it was reasonable for about $600. The mileage while not a huge number fit our needs as it is a car that we won't put more than a few thousand, may be 4000 max miles per driving season. I figure one repair out of the factory warranty and we are at even or better. It was warranty covered by GM and tied to the VIN so it is transferable for a small fee.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:30 PM
coupeguyz51
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by stevebz06
That's a ridiculous statement: it's WAY more complicated than the shuttle. And the amazing thing is, every other post is begging for more features and systems. I can't wait to see how people are tearing their hair out in 5 years trying to keep things working.
Well, not being an electronics/tech guy I will take your word that it was ridiculous to compare the C7 electronics to the Space Shuttle! (not!)..
I'm sure the SS's were much more complicated, prone to break down and not work, and NO WARRANTY!...oh, yeah, they don't need one...taxpayers just pick up the tab....
However, for "bang for the buck", that is, how much high tech computing power you can fit into a car size package, I'm sure you are right!

Originally Posted by CeYaBye
I am selling a lot of the GM extended warranties and GM Tire & Wheel plans to Stingray owners, some days I can't even keep up on the emails so to answer your question, lots of STINGRAY Owners are buying them.

Got mine from Dennis...Way Less Expensive than any other quote...
Old 04-22-2014, 10:46 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

I bought into the Chevy GMPP Major Guard plan as I use my car as a DD and run about 22k miles a year. for $2900 I got a 5 year/100k miles bumper to bumper warranty. with ZERO deductible. With all the electronics in this car, I would have to sell my spleen to replace even one LCD screen in this thing. Money well spent in my book.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:47 PM
vetteship
Safety Car

Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts

The biggest marketing false sense of security sell on the planet. what are you going to when the extended warranty expires ?
Old 04-22-2014, 10:51 PM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteship
The biggest marketing false sense of security sell on the planet. what are you going to when the extended warranty expires ?
Probably sell it, in 5-6 years something better usually comes along...
Old 04-22-2014, 10:57 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by BigJoe
Probably sell it, in 5-6 years something better usually comes along...
Finally! someone that understands me!
Old 04-22-2014, 11:06 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

what's the big fear with electronics? it isn't like you have to repair the devices. everything is replaceable. a few screws and an easy connect plug and your done. in fact I would say these cars are far easier to work on than anything from 1978 to 2004, give or take a few years. in the 80s cars were a real nightmare to work on, IMO. interiors today mostly just pull apart. easy.

there are more computers, which can be unplugged and replaced if needed. it's better than vacuum actuated devices crammed under a dash that took 4000 screws to disassemble. not to mention cars are a billion times more reliable and predictable than ever before.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:13 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
what's the big fear with electronics? it isn't like you have to repair the devices. everything is replaceable. a few screws and an easy connect plug and your done. in fact I would say these cars are far easier to work on than anything from 1978 to 2004, give or take a few years. in the 80s cars were a real nightmare to work on, IMO. interiors today mostly just pull apart. easy.

there are more computers, which can be unplugged and replaced if needed. it's better than vacuum actuated devices crammed under a dash that took 4000 screws to disassemble. not to mention cars are a billion times more reliable and predictable than ever before.
just to clear things up, I spent several years working as an ASE mechanic.. its not the labor or installation. Its the cost of the parts. I guarantee in 5 years/100k miles I will have used that warranty enough to make my money back. Especially with no deductible!
Old 04-22-2014, 11:43 PM
Rossi6998
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by CeYaBye

Dennis,

Please confirm you are still able to sell the Chevrolet Extended Warranty to people living in California? You sent me a price quote a couple weeks ago and my car should arrive this week or next week. Looking forward to purchasing from you again.

Thanks
John
Old 04-23-2014, 08:51 AM
LEJ ZO6
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I asked the warranty question of a friend that owns an auto repair shop.

He said when you look at the cost of electronic components and shop rates for mechanical repairs he thinks warranties are a good value for car owners.

Many problems require sophisticated diagnostic equipment and expertise that the average car owner just doesn't have. So, fixing many things yourself is out of the question.

Labor rates, even at non dealerships, are around $100/Hr. and computers, of which there are several in the Corvette, range from several hundred to over $1000 each.

If you have even one major mechanical failure, like a transmission or engine valve problem, in 5 years the extended warranty will pay for itself.

If you don't have a failure just chalk it up to insurance cost.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:57 AM
pmayo
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by LEJ ZO6
I asked the warranty question of a friend that owns an auto repair shop.

He said when you look at the cost of electronic components and shop rates for mechanical repairs he thinks warranties are a good value for car owners.

Many problems require sophisticated diagnostic equipment and expertise that the average car owner just doesn't have. So, fixing many things yourself is out of the question.

Labor rates, even at non dealerships, are around $100/Hr. and computers, of which there are several in the Corvette, range from several hundred to over $1000 each.

If you have even one major mechanical failure, like a transmission or engine valve problem, in 5 years the extended warranty will pay for itself.

If you don't have a failure just chalk it up to insurance cost.
It is the electronics.. You have an extended warranty on the power train (5yr/100k) included at no charge.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:23 AM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,149 Posts

For most people an automobile extended warranty is a waste of money.

The April 2014 issue of Consumer Reports says from their surveys:

• 55% of owners who purchased extended warranties haven’t used it at all for repairs during the lifetime of the warranty and paid on average $1200. And, on average, those that did use it, spent hundreds of dollars more for the coverage than they saved in repairs.

• Satisfaction with automobile extended warranties is among the lower rated of all products and services surveyed by CR. Those surveys included more than 12,000 CR subscribers who purchased an automobile extended warranty.

It's your money, waste it however you want.

Get notified of new replies

To Who's buying extended warranties/or maintanence?

Old 04-23-2014, 10:38 AM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

After reading some of these posts, I feel sorry for the companies that sell extended warranties-they must be losing money hand over fist-better get one fast before they all of out of business.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:57 AM
Mr Snappy!
Melting Slicks

Received 590 Likes on 163 Posts

It's a fear-based product, no doubt about it.

I bought the GMPP on my first vette. It was one of the best tips I ever got from the Corvette Forum. I learned to not talk about the GMPP with your dealer unless you have a competitive quote from one of the Forum Vendor dealers (or any actually). I got a quote from a WY dealer (I think it was WY) and was ready to pull the trigger with him.

When I bought my new 2003, the selling dealer quoted me like $2,300. I presented him with the email that quoted my VIN for like $685 and told him I would do it if he matched, otherwise we were done talking about it. He was a little pissed, but did match

Now, as far as useful, I never made a claim. The couple of things that went wrong were well within the factory warranty. I made the mistake again with my wife's Acadia several years ago. I never had ANY claim on that truck.

With a 100,000 mile powertrain warranty, I don't feel its needed on this car. Beside, knowing me, I will be ready to move on to something fresh in 3 to 4 years.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:18 AM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe
For most people an automobile extended warranty is a waste of money.

The April 2014 issue of Consumer Reports says from their surveys:

• 55% of owners who purchased extended warranties haven’t used it at all for repairs during the lifetime of the warranty and paid on average $1200. And, on average, those that did use it, spent hundreds of dollars more for the coverage than they saved in repairs.

• Satisfaction with automobile extended warranties is among the lower rated of all products and services surveyed by CR. Those surveys included more than 12,000 CR subscribers who purchased an automobile extended warranty.

It's your money, waste it however you want.
I usually agree with this but my C6 was an exception.

I bought GMPP for my C6 at 24K miles (with $100 deductible) for around $1,100. At 50K miles, both fuel sending units needed to be replaced (the dreaded sulfation problem). The job cost was around $2,500 and all I paid at the time was the deductible. So my total cost for a $2,500 job was $1,200.

In my case, it paid off but I'm not sure I'll do it again on my C7

Quick Reply: Who's buying extended warranties/or maintanence?