Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great. Really nice job.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:19 PM
go4kj
Instructor

Originally Posted by Glen e
does not peel easily from rubber....
It will peel easily from rubber as long as you make sure you over spray on the rubber. You get into trouble peeling it off if the spray is light.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:23 PM
go4kj
Instructor

Originally Posted by Modshack
I'm wondering why you'd even want to go through that hassle?? Slipping in the cards took about 1 minute per wheel. Clean edge, no clean-up - No brainer
It is really easy to mask off the calipers with a garbage bag & mask your car to dip. Fonzi from dip your cars did a you tube video that was really helpful & quiet easy to do.

Not everyone has the tools to remove & reinstall tires in their garage. For those, leaving the wheels on their car is a reasonable alternative.

Btw the wheels look killer
Old 04-22-2014, 02:40 PM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Did you do the barrels as well? In the 1st during pix, I see some blue painters tape and some brown paper or cardboard from a box that look like they are sealing off the barrel.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:53 PM
Modshack
Safety Car

Received 444 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by go4kj
It is really easy to mask off the calipers with a garbage bag & mask your car to dip. Fonzi from dip your cars did a you tube video that was really helpful & quiet easy to do.

Not everyone has the tools to remove & reinstall tires in their garage. For those, leaving the wheels on their car is a reasonable alternative.

Btw the wheels look killer
Thanks! Pulling the wheels is a no brainer for me as I have a lift.

Originally Posted by TKOGTO
Did you do the barrels as well? In the 1st during pix, I see some blue painters tape and some brown paper or cardboard from a box that look like they are sealing off the barrel.
I masked the barrells as they are a contrasting gray and felt they'd be easier to keep clean with the original finish..
You pretty much have to pull the wheels to do it neatly this way..

Old 04-22-2014, 03:12 PM
ZPirate
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your wheels really turned out nice Steve! I can't wait to see them in person. No doubt pulling the wheels and masking them is better than trying to do them on the car.

Originally Posted by Modshack
Thanks! Pulling the wheels is a no brainer for me as I have a lift.

I masked the barrells as they are a contrasting gray and felt they'd be easier to keep clean with the original finish..
Old 04-22-2014, 03:49 PM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

[/QUOTE]

When I did my barrels, I struggled getting the cardboard cut out I used to seal the spokes out of the barrel without the edge of it pulling on the plastidip. I separated the 2 easily enough but over time the plastidip I pressed back into place began to peel back. I hope the same does not happen you where you used the blue tape.

Let us know how its working in a couple of weeks.

Last edited by TKOGTO; 04-24-2014 at 02:52 PM.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:58 PM
Tom/99
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts

What a difference, looks great.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:11 PM
3pitbulls
Advanced

This is what mine looked like when I got it,and what it looks like now..Plastidip is a good product to try out things before painting it ,powder coating it or changing it...easy to peel off in case you want to return it to stock.
Attached Images   
Old 04-22-2014, 07:05 PM
MikeG37
Drifting

Received 756 Likes on 351 Posts

Modshack, that looks great.. I really like the anthracite, I used it on my '99.

A little tip for someone trying it. I learned the hard way my first go round. When putting the finished wheels back on.. the lug nuts grabbed and twisted the dip beyond repair. I pealed it all off and started over. The second time I picked up a box of washers that were a tad larger than the lug holes, and a magnet.

Set the washers on the lug holes, and spray.

Pluck the washers out with the magnet between coats. When finished the dip and lugs will never contact one another.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:19 PM
MikeG37
Drifting

Received 756 Likes on 351 Posts

Oh, a few minutes sticking note cards in is MUCH easier than cleaning the rubber up, and they're very cheap!

Old 04-24-2014, 03:13 PM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 3pitbulls
This is what mine looked like when I got it,and what it looks like now..Plastidip is a good product to try out things before ..easy to peel off in case you want to return it to stock.
Agreed that Plastidip is great to try out before painting, powder coating or otherwise changing it but I found the "it's easy to peel off" sentiment so often expressed is a bit of a stretch. My view is it is (or should be) easy to peel off if you put on a boatload of coats. I'm not exactly sure how many because I "only" did 5 and I would not characterize it as an easy peel off. I suspect 10 coats would be easy to peel off and as such, adding that caveat would be helpful to those trying this for the 1st time. I will also add that the ease of removal is also a function of the number of spokes on your wheels, their thickness and how close together they are. Wide, 5 spoke wheels should not be too bad but I wouldn't want to try to peel Plastidip off wheels like those on the new Z06 no matter how many coats are on them.

[QUOTE=MikeG37;1586723344]Oh, a few minutes sticking note cards in is MUCH easier than cleaning the rubber up, and they're very cheap!

Excellent tip.
Now if they made a washer large enough to put inside the barrel when doing the barrels only, I'd be great shape.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:18 PM
G b 2 G
Instructor

Nice I think I will try this out.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:40 PM
Varcix
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Any estimate on how long this takes? I literally bought the plastidip cans and a jack and havn't had the time to commit to doing mine! LoL

Also how many cans and coats do you reccommend? 4-5 coats of plastidip and 2-3 clear coat is what i've read?

Quick Reply: Fun with Plastidip...>