Old 04-20-2014, 03:38 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Default Spot mirrors - options, questions, and info

Ok so i came from a 2011 mustang which had spot mirrors built into the side mirrors on both sides. After driving my C7 for two weeks now, I realize I just cant live without them anymore. Im interested to hear about what you did in this instance if you have spot mirrors on your C7. I want to add them but really want a clean looking install. Something more customized for the car than just the Autozone stick ons that bulge out from the mirror. So are there any more professional looking spot mirrors available, and where do I get them? Also will they affect the auto dimming function on my driver side mirror?

Ant
Old 04-20-2014, 06:39 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,606 Likes on 6,619 Posts

Originally Posted by FYREANT
Ok so i came from a 2011 mustang which had spot mirrors built into the side mirrors on both sides. After driving my C7 for two weeks now, I realize I just cant live without them anymore. Im interested to hear about what you did in this instance if you have spot mirrors on your C7. I want to add them but really want a clean looking install. Something more customized for the car than just the Autozone stick ons that bulge out from the mirror. So are there any more professional looking spot mirrors available, and where do I get them? Also will they affect the auto dimming function on my driver side mirror?

Ant
This is my 4th Vette and didn’t use a blind spot mirror until the C7. I set my mirrors as suggested years ago in a SAE tech paper, i.e. the mirror set so you don’t see your car. However that was based on a wide view in the center mirror. The narrow back glass on the C7 doesn’t provide a wide rear view. I find this small, oval blind spot mirror works fine and uses little of the main mirror. It covers covers a wider area and shows the rear of the Vette as well. I think there is an advantage at night as well. When the drivers mirror dims it is harder to see uncoming cars. The small blind spot mirror does not dim, but is small enough not to be a glare problem. I have pics sitting in my seat with two cars next to it and you can see the benefit. It also covers how to “properly set the main mirrors.” To each his own but I find it very useful. It is glass and purchased at Amazon. Details available on my web site: netwelding.com/reports_vette_info.htm

Last edited by JerryU; 04-20-2014 at 06:44 PM.
Old 04-20-2014, 06:56 PM
volvos80
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I am used to the driver side European convex mirror and had some made for my C7 as I could not use the plane original. This way you do not need a second mirror and to focus your eyes on 2 mirrors. I can not offer those mirrors here, but they are available elsewhere if you want to use them
Old 04-20-2014, 11:34 PM
Foxer55
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

I am disappointed that auto makers are placing these convex mirrors incorrectly on production rear view mirrors. I can speak with experience and authority as I have vast experience in dealing with optics and crew enhancements for military systems that apply these kinds of attributes. The purpose of having these mirrors is to be able to view as much of the 360 degrees around you as possible by using your peripheral vision without moving your head or taking you eyes off the road ahead of you. That means these mirrors need to be mounted on the outside rear view mirror as close to your center line of vision as possible. Placing them outboard on the outside rear view mirror almost defeats their purpose and I'm surprised GM, Ford, etc., don't have Human Systems Integration experts on staff that would know this. They need to be correctly placed in the nearest inboard position as possible and they are very effective when used this way.

Last edited by Foxer55; 04-20-2014 at 11:59 PM.
Old 04-20-2014, 11:51 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Foxer55
I am disappointed that auto makers are placing these convex mirrors incorrectly on production rear view mirrors. I can speak with experience and authority as I have vast experience in dealing with optics and crew enhancements for military systems that apply these kinds of attributes. The purpose of having these mirrors is to be able to view as much of the 360 degrees around you as possible by using your peripheral vision without moving your head or taking you eyes off the road ahead of you. That mean these mirrors need to be mounted on the outside rear view mirror as close to your center line of vision as possible. Placing them outboard on the outside rear view mirror almost defeats their purpose and I'm surprised GM, Ford, etc., don't have Human Systems Integration experts on staff that would know this. They need to be correctly placed in the nearest inboard position as possible and they are very effective when used this way.
This is how mine were on the mustang and they were extremely effective. I wouldnt have them any other way than this

But I would like to try to find some stick ons that would fit the same area on the C7 and are specifically made for it.. As in the outside edge would match up perfectly with the outside of the mirror. Basically I want them to look factory even though they arent
Old 04-20-2014, 11:57 PM
Foxer55
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

FYREANT,

This is how mine were on the mustang and they were extremely effective. I wouldnt have them any other way than this
You will note that the picture you posted is not looking at the road ahead of you.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:08 AM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

FYREANT,

You will note that the picture you posted is not looking at the road ahead of you.
You are right only to a certain extent in my opinion. All cars have blind spots and standard mirrors just can't show you whats in them without you moving around and looking feverishly to see whats there before lane change. Most people just physically turn their head most of the way around to see whats over there through the back side window which is also not safe. That being said, the spot mirrors that I prefer (which is what I pictured) alleviate the need to turn your head to the point where you would have no peripheral vision of the road ahead at all. This makes them a much safer alternative. They are a step in the right direction and a must for me from now on!

Ant
Old 04-21-2014, 08:27 AM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,223 Likes on 1,140 Posts

Adjust your mirrors correctly and forget about those small mirrors that are useless at night or in the rain.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:44 AM
Rusler John
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

My wife bought a 13' Escape with the blind spot mirrors and I think they're fantastic. What a great idea. I've had to add blind spot mirrors to all the GM trucks I've owned and wished I had them on the Vette. I think the add ons on the Vette would look cheesy, but, if GM came up with a factory mirror like that, I'd buy it. I own an 07' C6, and yes, it's not much trouble to twist my head and look, but, a factory mirror with the blind spot would be a boon. I'm surprised GM didn't include them on the C7. We use to have a Jeep Cherokee, that, had a convex side mirror on the passenger side. That worked pretty well, but, the overall aspect of the mirror was a little distorted and not quite right. Come on GM, step up to the plate and send it over the fence.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:04 AM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe
Adjust your mirrors correctly and forget about those small mirrors that are useless at night or in the rain.
If I have to look over at my mirror anyway I would like to have two options to see whats next to me rather than trying to make it work with one. To each his own though..

Originally Posted by Rusler John
My wife bought a 13' Escape with the blind spot mirrors and I think they're fantastic. What a great idea. I've had to add blind spot mirrors to all the GM trucks I've owned and wished I had them on the Vette. I think the add ons on the Vette would look cheesy, but, if GM came up with a factory mirror like that, I'd buy it. I own an 07' C6, and yes, it's not much trouble to twist my head and look, but, a factory mirror with the blind spot would be a boon. I'm surprised GM didn't include them on the C7. We use to have a Jeep Cherokee, that, had a convex side mirror on the passenger side. That worked pretty well, but, the overall aspect of the mirror was a little distorted and not quite right. Come on GM, step up to the plate and send it over the fence.
Couldn't agree more brother!
Old 04-21-2014, 12:06 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

I am disappointed that auto makers are placing these convex mirrors incorrectly on production rear view mirrors. I can speak with experience and authority as I have vast experience in dealing with optics and crew enhancements for military systems that apply these kinds of attributes. The purpose of having these mirrors is to be able to view as much of the 360 degrees around you as possible by using your peripheral vision without moving your head or taking you eyes off the road ahead of you. That means these mirrors need to be mounted on the outside rear view mirror as close to your center line of vision as possible. Placing them outboard on the outside rear view mirror almost defeats their purpose and I'm surprised GM, Ford, etc., don't have Human Systems Integration experts on staff that would know this. They need to be correctly placed in the nearest inboard position as possible and they are very effective when used this way.
I have always used convex mirrors on my vehicles placed in the lower inner position, even on my Vettes. No one needs to see their own car in the flat mirror, anyway. The lane next to you is what you need to see.

They have always been round ones before, but on the C7, the mirrors are so angular, I chose quarter-rounds. They look as if they came with the car.

lisa
Attached Images   
Old 04-21-2014, 12:20 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by owc6
I have always used convex mirrors on my vehicles placed in the lower inner position, even on my Vettes. No one needs to see their own car in the flat mirror, anyway. The lane next to you is what you need to see.

They have always been round ones before, but on the C7, the mirrors are so angular, I chose quarter-rounds. They look as if they came with the car.

lisa
Those dont look half bad! Where can I get those at?
Old 04-21-2014, 12:37 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Wally-mart. ~$3 They don't offer quite as much field of view as the full-rounds, but they swivel a little, so you can adjust them independently from the side mirrors.

lisa
Old 04-29-2014, 08:52 PM
efein95
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Having the same exact dilemma as you are! Just sold my 2011 mustang for a Stingray and the blind spots are horrific. I want my mirrors back so badly. Got into a little accident the other day because of this issue… definitely ordering some blind spot mirrors. -_-
Old 04-29-2014, 09:35 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,911 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe
This all sounds great until you realize you are completely blind between the red and yellow cars, especially if the yellow car is tailgating, which is, unfortunately, the norm here in L.A. Now you can't see who is coming up on your to the left, including the highway patrol.

Ford has a better idea here in my opinion, convex for blind spot, regular for long distance.

Michael

Last edited by Michael A; 04-29-2014 at 09:39 PM.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:38 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by efein95
Having the same exact dilemma as you are! Just sold my 2011 mustang for a Stingray and the blind spots are horrific. I want my mirrors back so badly. Got into a little accident the other day because of this issue… definitely ordering some blind spot mirrors. -_-
Man I am so sorry to hear that. I have checked my local walmarts and they dont have the ones shown above. May just order some tonight. Let me know what you end up getting. I'll do the same if I grt mine first..

Get notified of new replies

To Spot mirrors - options, questions, and info

Quick Reply: Spot mirrors - options, questions, and info