The Corvette brotherhood....really?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 01:47 PM
rudolph schenker
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 233 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Red08
I wave at other vette drivers and the majority wave back. If they don't wave back, oh well.
Old 04-26-2014, 01:49 PM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by WICKEDFRC
It's a Brotherhood to me.

Until a brother mentions Z51 badges.........
Old 04-28-2014, 12:42 AM
thedofuss
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I think you are not understanding what a "brotherhood" is. It is a group of like minded people, but not at the total exclusion of all others.

I belong to the Corvette "brotherhood" but I have many friends outside of that group that I share many other interests with.
Joe: one of the things i was trying to determine by my post was what is a brotherhood? many people in the forum refer to their "brothers" and "sisters", the corvette brotherhood, etc..... what do these words mean? Conclusion #1: as expected, they mean different things to different people, and hold different levels of significance. the definitions run the gamut from close personal bond, to affinity group, to just happening to own the same tangible item.

more to follow, upon final post. it certainly appears that all humans have a strong, fundamental need for belonging to some type of group, and may create that group, and their place in it, to aid themselves with accomplishing a specific agenda they have established for themselves--usually at a very young age. i know, trite, simplistic, psych 101 stuff. as i said, more to follow, in my quest for ultimate knowledge. who would have thought how much knowledge and how many life skills could be gleaned from a web site! the car doesnt surprise me, but a web site?.....
Old 04-28-2014, 01:43 AM
harmonyp
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by thedofuss
if there is such a thing as a brotherhood among corvette owners, you know, like a bonding thing because we all own a particular car, why is it that there is such hostility on the forum at times? also, why is it that so many owners do not wave back at an owner who waves at them? is it because even brothers do not get along sometimes?

do you feel that you belong to a brotherhood?
Sisterhood from my perspective Do kind of feel part of an exclusive club. Don't know any other car that incites complete strangers to try to communicate with one another at 70mph.

Hostility on forum - standard forum crap. Was same thing when I started rose gardening - you should read some of the posts of "ladies" arguing about antique versus modern roses - makes the Z06 vs GS arguments sound tame.

Still think the lack of wave is 95% unintentional.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:47 AM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

I wouldn't join any organization that would have me as a member...
Old 04-28-2014, 08:23 AM
jamime
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think this discussion has gotten way to philosophical, wave if you want, don't wave if you want!
Old 04-28-2014, 10:50 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Brotherhood? Hardly...certainly not within this forum. I'm sure some Corvette clubs are much closer to a "brotherhood".
Old 04-28-2014, 12:58 PM
PGSJOE
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

All kinds of folks wave and honk and I happily acknowledge them, bikes, muscle cars, just gear heads and car admirers expressing delight. When Im in either of my vehicles truck or car and I see a nice hot rod or any sharp ride I wave, it does confuse the mustang guys though when I wave at them while in my Z51 oh I meant Stingray oherrr wait C7 yeah C7 lol
Old 04-28-2014, 01:29 PM
FreddyG
Le Mans Master

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by KenHorse
We (my wife and I) *ALWAYS* wave at other Vettes no matter what car we're in at the time.

(we get some strange looks when we do it from our beater Dodge pickup )
I sold my Vette awhile back, but still wave at Vette drivers too.

(I get the same Crazy looks too, but I don't have a Dodge truck, so it's not the truck )
Old 04-28-2014, 01:33 PM
Jimbob26
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 64 Posts

I see it not as a 'brotherhood' but as a group of people that have a passion for a certain marque of car, and all the car stands for. I get a lot of thumbs up from folks every day, both Corvette and non-Corvette drivers, and always return the gesture.

Most all my close friends own performance cars, and each has his own interpretation of what is 'best', which is why they own what they own, and there's only one other Corvette owner in my group. One guy has Ferraris, another has a Porsche, and a couple guys own Shelby Mustangs. We love to talk cars and the features, and I consider this more of a 'brotherhood' than a group of people I don't know who have bought the same product as I.
Old 04-28-2014, 01:50 PM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve_R

I do get a laugh out of everyone describing their C7 as a "Z51..." That's an option, not a model.
I do not refer to my C7 as Z51. But my reaction to your statement makes me think you do not have that option. Thus you demean people who do. Why are you so jealous? You own a great car.
Old 04-28-2014, 02:34 PM
rockit1
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Why Not?

I always wave or flash the fogs in my C5.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:26 PM
bearphoto
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 200 Posts
SoCal Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12

While is Southern California I felt the brotherhood of the corvettes and belonged to a small corvette group. It did not take long for the group to split into two groups as several had attitudes. But there was still a fair amount of "waving" going on.

Now I have moved to Lake Havasu City, Az. Lots and lots of cars and even quite a few corvettes. Unfortunately there seems to be no corvette love here and they do not get much attention from other car groups.

But the jeep and mopar folks seem to have a close bond like what the corvettes used to have.

Quick Reply: The Corvette brotherhood....really?