Sponsored by:

The Corvette brotherhood....really?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 11:22 PM
RUBYREDVET
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve_R
Because I own a particular brand and model of car? Nope, not at all. I don't own any article of Corvette clothing. I don't belong to a Corvette club. I wave at other Vettes but I don't look for them and have probably missed some. I drive mine year around in CO. I even drive it in the rain occasionally. My '08 coupe had almost 50k miles when I traded it for the C7. I don't put it away for the winter. I don't treat it as garage art. I let other people drive it. I am most definitely not the typical Vette or C7 owner.

I do get a laugh out of everyone describing their C7 as a "Z51..." That's an option, not a model.
I believe a vendor was offering "Z51" emblems for the C6 guys cause they were doing the same thing. Should be available for C7 soon.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:22 PM
dbs1vette
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Maybe we should all just moon each other? Or...wienner wave???? Unfortunately no one would know I was waving....lol. Now all the big dogs in the C7 Z06 section...they could all compare "notes" as they drive...
Old 04-19-2014, 11:28 PM
RUBYREDVET
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Waytofastvette2006
I've been snubbed by a few c6's with the wave.( probably hate the c7s rear end ) But for the most part I would say yes it's kinda like a brotherhood.

We're all brothers except the non z51 automatic c7 owners jk
I've been wavin to other vettes since 1976 when I took delivery of my first vette. A 1976 orange 4-speed coupe. The dealer explained about vette owners wavin at each other. As a C6 owner I wave to all other generations and will even wave to a C7 although I haven't come upon very many yet. Sometimes people wave back and sometimes they don't. Might not be looking, maybe don't know about the wave or maybe don't give a rat's azz. I know I've caught a vette too late to wave. Nothing to lose sleep over.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:36 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Believe it or not, not everyone out there is a member of this forum.Hence,not everyone knows about the wave.I sometimes have to stop and think for a second when I mention the forum and they say.."where?" or what??
Old 04-20-2014, 12:11 AM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

I joined a cult once...... once
Old 04-20-2014, 12:12 AM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,247 Likes on 705 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve_R
Never said I was better than anyone. Never even hinted it. If you got that from my previous post you need to read it again. I think of my C7 as a car. Period. I use it that way. That doesn't make me any better or worse than you or anyone else.

BTW, I've never named any car I've owned; no idea where that comment came from.

Not buying that statement Steve. If you thought of it as just a car, a Malibu or Prius would suffice. You can admit it, you bought it because it's a Corvette....

Hope your enjoying the new car
Old 04-20-2014, 06:23 AM
DanTheFireman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MarshallJCM800
Oh yeah, my Silverado is a Z71 model and Chevy put a big sticker with that silly RPO code right on both my rear fenders so that everyone could send you into gales of laughter by calling it a Z71 Silverado.
Just be thankful they didn't use the Toyota approach and label it " TRD ". One of my buddies removed the lettering from his pickup, it kept getting the U added in various forms.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:28 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by thedofuss
if there is such a thing as a brotherhood among corvette owners, you know, like a bonding thing because we all own a particular car, why is it that there is such hostility on the forum at times? also, why is it that so many owners do not wave back at an owner who waves at them? is it because even brothers do not get along sometimes?

do you feel that you belong to a brotherhood?
You can't call it a brother hood when they sell 30,000 of them a year. Just too many of them out there to expect everyone of the owners to act like it is some special cult. 90% of the Corvettes I see and owners I talk to like the car but they probably couldn't tell you how much horsepower it has.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:35 AM
Athrose
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel "brotherhood" may be a little strong. I think there may be a measure of respect shown with the wave, but as I drive my C7 and as I wave at other Vette drivers, some respond and some don't. Who knows if they see my wave, elect not to respond or may not be aware of the wave thing to begin with. When I drove my motorcycle in the past, the wave was pretty common. Heck, no one seemed to care what year, brand or model you were driving. I belong to several other forums for other passions I have and I notice they all have their share of attackers and haters. However, there are a few members on this forum that go beyond just voicing their differences in opinion to actually attacking fellow forum members on a pretty regular basis. I joined this forum for the knowledge and wisdom that exists here and I have not been disappointed on that end. So again, I'm not sure I would use the term brotherhood, but there is a special bond when folks freely share their experiences, knowledge and wisdom. I'm glad to be a member of this forum (even though I've had to block a few of you as your responses just really rub me the wrong way)
Old 04-20-2014, 07:37 AM
Old Boot
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by glenB
Thats part of what makes it a cult....you CAN only join once!!!YIKES
Old 04-20-2014, 08:14 AM
nous defions
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thedofuss
if there is such a thing as a brotherhood among corvette owners, you know, like a bonding thing because we all own a particular car, why is it that there is such hostility on the forum at times? also, why is it that so many owners do not wave back at an owner who waves at them? is it because even brothers do not get along sometimes?

do you feel that you belong to a brotherhood?
I have experienced that most other Corvette owners do wave back. If they don't, maybe they were distracted; no big deal.

As far as the forum goes, any loosely moderated forum will have issues. That's normal. I have been a member of a few forums before and I've seen the trend.

In one forum, where I'm a member, all members are verified current, or former, special operations operators. The dialogue can be controversial at times, but it is never disrespectful. But, that's likely because people there actually know you, there is always the chance that you will run into one another in the hallways of some headquarters building, or while deployed. There will be consequences at some point, which is fine as long as you are willing to face them.

In another forum (watch collectors) the moderators were too strict to the point it stifled almost any discussion that was borderline controversial. When one of the members left the forum and created a non-moderated forum in protest, it went to hell rather quickly. Most discussions were dominated by disrespect, bigotry, you name it. They hardly discussed what the forum intended (watches). He ended up setting up ground rules.

I think that, except for some cases, Internet anonymity leads people to create alternate personas. Since they can't be confronted (no consequences), they will cross lines that they'd never dare cross otherwise. But, that's all over the net.

As far as this forum, based on a lot of posts, one would have to assume that most members finish fist fights, are tough and scary, rich, super intelligent, worldly, captains of industry, know everything about cars (not just Corvettes) and about politics (domestic and international).

The only forum I've seen turn around the behavior was one were members were required to include their real names under their screen names, as well as their state of residence. I don't know how they enforced it, but it quelled the personal BS real quick.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:21 AM
important
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts

Its not unique to this place, every forum is filled with internet douche nozzles.

But if you have an issue with your car, an army of Vette owners will come to your aid.

Believe it.

Last edited by important; 04-20-2014 at 02:45 PM.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:26 AM
IndyBlue
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 04-20-2014, 08:29 AM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

Since you asked, no.

It's car. It's a great car and I think GM did a fantastic job but its still just a car.

I bought it because I would enjoy it, not because someone else does.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:46 AM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

Originally Posted by not08crmanymore
Believe it or not, not everyone out there is a member of this forum.Hence,not everyone knows about the wave.I sometimes have to stop and think for a second when I mention the forum and they say.."where?" or what??
The wave started WAAAAY before this forum and the internet.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:03 AM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Originally Posted by RUBYREDVET
I believe a vendor was offering "Z51" emblems for the C6 guys cause they were doing the same thing. Should be available for C7 soon.
Z51 badge="almost a Z06" in the mind of the owner.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:55 AM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,289 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
Not buying that statement Steve. If you thought of it as just a car, a Malibu or Prius would suffice. You can admit it, you bought it because it's a Corvette....

Hope your enjoying the new car
I absolutely bought it because it's a Vette. I've owned a lot of cool cars over many years. When it got to the point where I was afraid to drive it, wouldn't drive it, or whatever I sold it. I don't want to own a car I won't drive any time I want, won't park in a parking lot, won't let a friend or relative drive, etc.

And yeah, I'm hugely enjoying the new C7. It's so much more refined and comfortable than the C6 it's amazing.

Get notified of new replies

To The Corvette brotherhood....really?

Old 04-20-2014, 11:02 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,819 Likes on 2,064 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

I'm in a Corvette club. Guess what the primary parameter is for becoming a member?

I'll wait.....

Ok, stop hurting your brain. You must own a Corvette. The folks are nuts about cars but they are proud of all they own. Good bunch of people in the club and very social. The absolute worst thing that can happen to a "fellow" Corvette owner is to drive the opposite direction down a 2 lane road when we are in convoy. That poor slob will need Blue Emu for the arm pain from the waves he needs to return.

Cult? No.

Pride in ownership? Yes.

BUT, I've had that for every car I've owned in the past 54 years.

Elmer
Old 04-20-2014, 11:09 AM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,067 Likes on 591 Posts

Way back, long before I owned a Corvette I knew some guys that did own one and they told me then that when you did own one other Vette owners always waved. It was then and still is unique. I usually always wave at other Vettes, regardless if they wave back or what year they are.
Old 04-20-2014, 12:05 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,401 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by glenB
Did you need more cowbell?

Quick Reply: The Corvette brotherhood....really?