Sponsored by:

Lost my key fob

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 01:08 PM
ronvenna
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Lost my key fob

Was out last night and lost my key fob. I still have the valet key but the key fob itself slipped off. I have the spare that i'm using now, but is replacing the keyfob an expensive process?
Old 04-18-2014, 01:11 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 966 Likes on 502 Posts
Tech Contributor

about $100 I'm guessing...call your parts dept, this happens a lot...you will need your VIN #, takes about 3-4 days to get...

this is precisely why a ran a 1/8" strip of carbon fiber vinyl around the key seam as mine would pop off every now and then too....
Old 04-18-2014, 01:13 PM
Zee51Vert
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

On my Chrysler 300C 100$, on my wife's MB 350$. I would tend to think on the lower part of the scale for the C7 fob.
Old 04-18-2014, 01:16 PM
Thorn811
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17
Default Bought one on EBAY

Originally Posted by ronvenna
Was out last night and lost my key fob. I still have the valet key but the key fob itself slipped off. I have the spare that i'm using now, but is replacing the keyfob an expensive process?
Bought one on EBAY for $69.95 and programmed it myself. It works great, but it was for a C6

Last edited by Thorn811; 04-18-2014 at 01:18 PM.
Old 04-18-2014, 01:24 PM
6spdg37s
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

for the caddy (same key) there like 300 bucks supposidly. Hope it is cheaper though ! GL
Old 04-18-2014, 02:59 PM
Rad22
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Just replaced mine. $235
Old 04-18-2014, 03:16 PM
blue_bomber697
Drifting

Received 1,296 Likes on 479 Posts
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Wow. Lucky to hear these Key fobs are cheap. My parents had to replace theirs on their Ford Edge and it was $600. (CAD)
Old 04-18-2014, 03:18 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,831 Likes on 2,072 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Since you lost the FOB, when you get your new one, you might want to do the programming as though you have NO FOBs. This will give you Fob 1 & 2 and disable the FOB you lost in case someone finds it and can find you. This thread gives the RKE programming. I believe you would want to work your way through the procedure that goes through Step 8.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...s-and-rke.html

Elmer
Old 04-18-2014, 03:21 PM
-CM-
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Rad22
Just replaced mine. $235
Ouch.
Old 04-18-2014, 03:34 PM
eboggs_jkvl

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati

Just replaced mine. $235

Dayem!

Elmer
Old 04-18-2014, 04:45 PM
kevingilmore
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

base from a vendor here is $165 and the key from your dealer is $35

i wanted to have a 3rd key which i keep buried in my desk at work
Old 04-18-2014, 07:03 PM
Rad22
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Several points of information:

1. You can buy the fob online and there is a procedure you can do yourself to program it. The only problem is the metal "real" key that has to be cut to open the backup mechanical trunk locks and the like. You won't have the use of it, unless you still have your old one (see #5).

2. Prior to the C7, the dealers could cut the metal key in their service department. Not for the C7...the cut key has to be ordered from GM. If the dealer orders the fob, all they get is the plastic transmitter with no key. The key must be ordered separately, precut from GM, with a high level of security. I was told this was done for security reasons...to make it more difficult to forge keys...keeping the "cut codes" in-house at GM Parts and not letting dealers have them. True? I don't know...just parroting what I was told by my service mgr.

3. The fob programming procedure for the C7 is much more involved and arcane than the C6 according to my service tech. Mine was the first he'd done and it took him 3 tries. It involves putting the metal key in the trunk lock above the license plate, turning it in a certain sequence a certain number of times, pressing buttons on the fob, pressing infotainment screen buttons, rubbing your belly and scratching your head all within 30 seconds or something like that. It was similar on the C6, just more involved on the C7.

4. I was quoted a much lower price initially when the replacement was ordered through the parts department, but the dealer was unaware that the cut metal key wasn't included in the original order. Apparently that's what is so expensive...and overpriced, I feel.

5. If you need a new fob simply because you've run over, cracked, stepped on or destroyed the plastic part (transmitter) and still have the metal key, you can still use it in the replacement transmitter and save $$$$.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:07 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

1. You can buy the fob online and there is a procedure you can do yourself to program it. The only problem is the metal "real" key that has to be cut to open the backup mechanical trunk locks and the like. You won't have the use of it, unless you still have your old one (see #5).

2. Prior to the C7, the dealers could cut the metal key in their service department. Not for the C7...the cut key has to be ordered from GM. If the dealer orders the fob, all they get is the plastic transmitter with no key. The key must be ordered separately, precut from GM, with a high level of security. I was told this was done for security reasons...to make it more difficult to forge keys...keeping the "cut codes" in-house at GM Parts and not letting dealers have them. True? I don't know...just parroting what I was told by my service mgr.

3. The fob programming procedure for the C7 is much more involved and arcane than the C6 according to my service tech. Mine was the first he'd done and it took him 3 tries. It involves putting the metal key in the trunk lock above the license plate, turning it in a certain sequence a certain number of times, pressing buttons on the fob, pressing infotainment screen buttons, rubbing your belly and scratching your head all within 30 seconds or something like that. It was similar on the C6, just more involved on the C7.

4. I was quoted a much lower price initially when the replacement was ordered through the parts department, but the dealer was unaware that the cut metal key wasn't included in the original order. Apparently that's what is so expensive...and overpriced, I feel.

5. If you need a new fob simply because you've run over, cracked, stepped on or destroyed the plastic part (transmitter) and still have the metal key, you can still use it in the replacement transmitter and save $$$$.
Not all dealerships can cut the key though, they need a special laser cutter, contact your local dealership to find out which ones can cut the key.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:10 PM
eboggs_jkvl

I guess this means I wont be carrying my spare key in my wallet any more.

That sucks.....

Elmer
Old 06-01-2014, 09:54 PM
Bowgree
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Oem-Memory-1-For-C6-Chevy-Corvette-Remote-Keyless-Fob-Smart-Prox-Key-Push-/400700060513?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ACorvette&hash=item5d4b95b361
this would work and can program yourself.
Old 06-02-2014, 12:15 AM
sharpgt
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I wish someone would make a nicer looking key fob, I'm an addict when it comes to them. The OEM Ford GT ones were cheesy but fortunately enterprising individuals came to the rescue. Maybe the C7 will stimulate a similar aftermarket upgrade
Old 06-04-2014, 05:50 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Fob reprogramming is the same on the C7 as on the C6.

Get notified of new replies

To Lost my key fob

Old 06-04-2014, 07:22 PM
GTFD2
Burning Brakes

Received 249 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Bowgree
Won't work for a convertible.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:24 PM
GTFD2
Burning Brakes

Received 249 Likes on 143 Posts

Dealer lost one of mine. He sent me the new one and I did the programming. No problem.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:11 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,191 Likes on 2,681 Posts

Originally Posted by GTFD2
Won't work for a convertible.
It won't work to start it, or it won't work to remotely start or put the top down?

I was under the impression the new style old fobs will work to start via the start button, just as the old C6 fobs work on the newer C6s (and vice-versa), which would make them all interchangeable for simple starting purposes. I have an extra fob from my '09 which I might just have to experiment with.

Either way the keys are not exchangeable. The C7 key is shorter and narrower (C6 key won't even fit in the fob or rear key slot) as seen from these pictures.

From left to right: '14, '09, '05.
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Lost my key fob