Shipping

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 09:09 PM
DAC17
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 99 Likes on 61 Posts

Default Shipping

I don't understand how GM figures their shipping logistics. My car was built during the week of 3/24, has now been shipped to Michigan and then to East Cupcake, NY, before a final trip to MacMulkin (which could be another 2+ weeks). Seems like there should be a better way....
Old 04-17-2014, 09:21 PM
Modshack
Safety Car

Received 444 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by DAC17
I don't understand how GM figures their shipping logistics. My car was built during the week of 3/24, has now been shipped to Michigan and then to East Cupcake, NY, before a final trip to MacMulkin (which could be another 2+ weeks). Seems like there should be a better way....
That's the way they do it now with truck and rail to NH. I bought mine from Macmulkin too, but had it courtesy delivered to NC. built 3/27, been driving it for a week!...Sorry..
Old 04-17-2014, 09:27 PM
Crossed Flags Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 493 Likes on 276 Posts

Default Mmmmm....

Is East Cupcake, near Fudge Brownie or Lemon Drop Lane?
Old 04-17-2014, 09:37 PM
DAC17
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Crossed Flags Fan
Is East Cupcake, near Fudge Brownie or Lemon Drop Lane?
Actually, it's right down the hill from West Awfulgosh. I think there is still a foot of snow up there...
Old 04-18-2014, 06:28 AM
markk1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel your pain .... mine was built 3/13 and didn't make it to MacMulkin until 4/1. Much better than other rail stories I have read here (re: KenHorse). Worst part is that I had to wait until today to get her because of work commitments.....I hear and believe it will be worth the wait...Patience, Grasshopper....
Old 04-18-2014, 11:49 AM
laborsmith
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

GM does not. Once at 4200 the shipping company has total responsibility. The only exception I have ever heard of is if a QC problem arises en route such as happened with 5th Gen Camaros at their start of production.

Laborsmith
Old 04-18-2014, 04:43 PM
DAC17
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

OK; so same comment applies to the shipping company. Apparently (unlike UPS) they don't love logistics....
Old 04-18-2014, 05:00 PM
82CFI
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK; so same comment applies to the shipping company. Apparently (unlike UPS) they don't love logistics....
Don't mean to hijack but your mention of UPS makes me wonder if UPS or FedEx should consider getting into the high-end vehicle transport business. Although there's quite a bit of competition in this segment, UPS and FedEx never shied away from that aspect in the past. They own or contract their own fleet of cargo jets and can charge extra if an owner wants their Vette delivered overnight to the neighborhood dealer. Would even seem plausible that they could do the overnight or 2nd day air for the $995 Destination Freight Charge. Just think about us having station-by-station tracking (text message/email/online) of our new Vette from the time the VIN is scanned at BG before loading on the transport to the time it arrives at the dealer. Maybe even for this unique service, they could implement GPS live tracking on their website ... even if it is a truck transport OR a cargo jet.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:35 PM
laborsmith
Burning Brakes

Or maybe do love logistics. I could be wrong, and do not recall seeing anything that supports the following, but it seems to me the car haulers are Corvette C7 specific and that could mean the rail autoracks are also Corvette C7 specific. I have seen a lot of C7s on car haulers but have not seen any C7 on a hauler with non Corvettes.

Laborsmith
Old 04-18-2014, 10:43 PM
marsipan
Heel & Toe

Received 16 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm guessing my car is on the same train as yours. Jessy updated me yesterday that it'll be about 2 weeks and mine was built on 4/1. This train thing is killing me but working with Tommy has been worth it so far since the process has been smooth and no nonsense.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:01 PM
laborsmith
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 82CFI
Don't mean to hijack but your mention of UPS makes me wonder if UPS or FedEx should consider getting into the high-end vehicle transport business. Although there's quite a bit of competition in this segment, UPS and FedEx never shied away from that aspect in the past. They own or contract their own fleet of cargo jets and can charge extra if an owner wants their Vette delivered overnight to the neighborhood dealer. Would even seem plausible that they could do the overnight or 2nd day air for the $995 Destination Freight Charge. Just think about us having station-by-station tracking (text message/email/online) of our new Vette from the time the VIN is scanned at BG before loading on the transport to the time it arrives at the dealer. Maybe even for this unique service, they could implement GPS live tracking on their website ... even if it is a truck transport OR a cargo jet.
One can already do the equivalent as to rail car - I have seen the process posted on this forum. If transporation is by truck only, Drake did a pretty good job of tracking (and posting) his C7s journey from Nashville to Virginia, so it looks to me what you are desiring is already being done.

Laborsmith
Old 04-18-2014, 11:13 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,073 Likes on 6,172 Posts

Originally Posted by 82CFI
No way you could ship a Vette via UPS for $995. The standard Ground rate from Bowling Green to North Texas is $0.54 per pound. That would be $1800. To the Los Angles area would be $2050. Air - that would be $5600 to North Texas for 3rd day air. Next day air = $16000+ to North Texas. Not to mention the problems with hazardous materials (gasoline, oil, etc).
Old 04-19-2014, 12:33 PM
checkur6
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Shipping

Same thing with me!

I have a TBW of 4/28. When it's done, it's loaded on a truck for Toledo Ohio. There, it waits for a west bound train (stopping who knows where) until it hits Nevada. There, it's loaded on a truck again and taken to the dealer. Estimating 3 weeks from end of build. Frustrating, but Worth The Wait!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Shipping

Quick Reply: Shipping