Sponsored by:

GM Destination Fee plus Museum Delivery Fee

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 08:57 AM
Tonyman262
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave@Kerbeck.com
You're missing the point. GM doesn't have the option of doing that. It's a federal law that every car has the same destination fee no matter where it is going.

Dave thanks for the clarification.

Is there a law that make it illegal for an end user (retail customer) to pick up their vehicle at the factory?
Old 04-17-2014, 09:21 AM
Tonyman262
Instructor

Originally Posted by hope2
Looked for this "law" online, could find nothing, perhaps you could guide me to it. It's Government Mandated
The destination fee should be regarded as yet another cost of doing new car business. There are several other fees that manufacturers must bake into the price of their new cars and trucks, but the U.S. government has required this fee be itemized on the sticker based on the fact that it is a direct cost, above and beyond the "overhead" companies must incur in bringing a product to market. Tax, license and a detailed list of all the standard and manufacturer-installed options and their retail prices must also be clearly listed on the "Monroney label" of each new car.

Truth be told, most manufacturers use the same pool of U.S. freight carriers — each competing for their transport business with the professionalism and care the manufacturers demand. With this in mind, the fact that the fees are basically comparable to each other isn't too much of a surprise. Of course, high-line vehicles must be handled with even greater care and, in some cases, transported in covered vehicles.

I thanked Dave for the clarification on the law (since he is one of the larger dealers).
I then looked for the law. I found a lot of stuff, but NO federal law that requires GM to charge $995 for the trip to the museum.

Dave or (any dealer), if one of you guys would post a link that shows this requirement that would clear up this whole discussion once and for all.
We all could just repost the link the next time it comes up and it certainly will simply because it APPEARS so slimy.

Notice I said appears.
Either it really is the law, and that would be that.
Or, it's just an agreement between GM and their dealers and then that would be another matter (negotiable).

For those of you that say anyone that questions paying the $995 Destination Freight Charge is cheap, super thrifty, can't afford...and so on...well it's a free country say what you wish.
But by the same token how about you pay me $995 for what appears to be a "just because fee".
Old 04-17-2014, 10:02 AM
Dave@Ciocca
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 1,656 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by Tonyman262
I thanked Dave for the clarification on the law (since he is one of the larger dealers).
I then looked for the law. I found a lot of stuff, but NO federal law that requires GM to charge $995 for the trip to the museum.

Dave or (any dealer), if one of you guys would post a link that shows this requirement that would clear up this whole discussion once and for all.
We all could just repost the link the next time it comes up and it certainly will simply because it APPEARS so slimy.

Notice I said appears.
Either it really is the law, and that would be that.
Or, it's just an agreement between GM and their dealers and then that would be another matter (negotiable).

For those of you that say anyone that questions paying the $995 Destination Freight Charge is cheap, super thrifty, can't afford...and so on...well it's a free country say what you wish.
But by the same token how about you pay me $995 for what appears to be a "just because fee".
Of course there is no laying saying what GM must charge for the museum delivery option...It's an option. You can select it or not. The bulk of the $995 goes to the museum which is a non profit and uses this option as one of their main fund raisers. The law is only about the destination fee that has to be added to every car and how they must ask be the same no matter where the car is going.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:06 AM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,711 Likes on 2,918 Posts

Originally Posted by Highway 61
Looks like you're the watermelon in this argument.
Not arguing, just stating my opinion. I understand why they do it they way they do, I just don't agree with it therefore I will not select it. Plenty of people do agree with it though so it works out well for everyone; that's why its an option, not a requirement.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:10 AM
nous defions
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cg02175
I think it is really stupid for GM to charge customers the $995 destination fee if you are picking the car up at the museum in Bowling Green.

If you want to pick up a corvette at the museum you still have to pay the $995 destination fee on top of the $995 museum delivery fee.

Anyone else think this makes no sense? Maybe another way for GM to squeeze out another $1,000
How dare you question GM?!!!!

Just messing with you. Lots of fees involved in purchasing vehicles, but it's all market stuff.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:11 AM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

I follow Honda & Lexus sites for my DD's. I have never seen them complain about destination charges.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:18 AM
nous defions
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by John Ulrich
I follow Honda & Lexus sites for my DD's. I have never seen them complain about destination charges.
I think the OP didn't know that the museum and the GM plant are not related financially as per the charges. If the museum belonged to GM, then his complaint would have had salience. But, that's why one joins a forum like this, to learn. Nothing wrong with that.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:21 AM
hope2
Safety Car

Received 358 Likes on 241 Posts

Of course there is no laying saying what GM must charge for the museum delivery option...It's an option. You can select it or not. The bulk of the $995 goes to the museum which is a non profit and uses this option as one of their main fund raisers. The law is only about the destination fee that has to be added to every car and how they must ask be the same no matter where the car is going.
not to beat a dead horse but looking for clarification that there is a federal law that requires level destination charge. looked online and found nothing of the sort.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:23 AM
adamsocb
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 498 Likes on 265 Posts

Federal law or not the "equalized freight charges" are charged by all mainstream manufacturers in the US, not just GM. See this description from KBB:

http://www.kbb.com/car-advice/articl...ation-charges/
Old 04-17-2014, 10:24 AM
oldgoat99
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cg02175
I think it is really stupid for GM to charge customers the $995 destination fee if you are picking the car up at the museum in Bowling Green.
I agree, and the same goes for for gas! They make the stuff right down the street from me (well 40 miles away) and yet they charge basically the same thing for it nation wide even though it's piped / trucked to destinations thousands of miles away. In fact it's even cheaper in some other places. It should be under a buck a gallon here.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:24 AM
Modshack
Safety Car

Received 444 Likes on 191 Posts

There may be a law that it be disclosed on the sticker, but I don't believe there is a "Law" that it be charged. Destination charges will vary by manufacturer and all, to my knowledge, equalize that for everyone. As I mentioned earlier, there are Rigid Dealer franchise laws the OEM must abide by. If GM is like other manufacturers, there is likely a Dealer Council too (I worked for Honda on the OEM side for 21 years) That negotiates things like this and other issues relating to the sales agreement they hold with the manufacturer. This is likely a negotiated fairness issue to keep everyone out of court and make sure everyone is on the same playing field. Between State franchise laws, and OEM dealer agreements, there are pretty rigid guidelines as to what the dealer and OEM can do. It has been traditional to handle transportation costs this way with all manufacturers. Then there are the agreements with the transportation companies that quote the distribution costs to GM. I'm sure there's some profit for all in there somewhere..

Museum delivery is an entirely different thing.

Last edited by Modshack; 04-17-2014 at 10:31 AM.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:42 AM
hope2
Safety Car

Received 358 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by Modshack
There may be a law that it be disclosed on the sticker, but I don't believe there is a "Law" that it be charged. Destination charges will vary by manufacturer and all, to my knowledge, equalize that for everyone. As I mentioned earlier, there are Rigid Dealer franchise laws the OEM must abide by. If GM is like other manufacturers, there is likely a Dealer Council too (I worked for Honda on the OEM side for 21 years) That negotiates things like this and other issues relating to the sales agreement they hold with the manufacturer. This is likely a negotiated fairness issue to keep everyone out of court and make sure everyone is on the same playing field. Between State franchise laws, and OEM dealer agreements, there are pretty rigid guidelines as to what the dealer and OEM can do. It has been traditional to handle transportation costs this way with all manufacturers. Then there are the agreements with the transportation companies that quote the distribution costs to GM. I'm sure there's some profit for all in there somewhere..

Museum delivery is an entirely different thing.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:19 AM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,984 Likes on 1,143 Posts

MAN you guys need to look in the mirror and worry more about your Social Security Check!!! Shows you are acting like old farts.

Get a life...... Either you want to support the museum or don't!!!!

This car is a bargin for what you get and bithed about a grand here or there? Come on.......1st world problems!!!
Old 04-17-2014, 11:29 AM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

In the old days people would travel to the dealers close to Mfg. plant to avoid high destination charges then someone figure out how to make it the same no matter where you lived. So one person wants to go back to the old days.
z51vett
Doug
Old 04-17-2014, 11:53 AM
Tonyman262
Instructor

Originally Posted by hope2
Looked for this "law" online, could find nothing, perhaps you could guide me to it. It's Government Mandated
The destination fee should be regarded as yet another cost of doing new car business. There are several other fees that manufacturers must bake into the price of their new cars and trucks, but the U.S. government has required this fee be itemized on the sticker based on the fact that it is a direct cost, above and beyond the "overhead" companies must incur in bringing a product to market. Tax, license and a detailed list of all the standard and manufacturer-installed options and their retail prices must also be clearly listed on the "Monroney label" of each new car.

Truth be told, most manufacturers use the same pool of U.S. freight carriers — each competing for their transport business with the professionalism and care the manufacturers demand. With this in mind, the fact that the fees are basically comparable to each other isn't too much of a surprise. Of course, high-line vehicles must be handled with even greater care and, in some cases, transported in covered vehicles.
Dave
I was NOT talking about the museum fee.
It's my understanding that the museum is separate from GM and their (the museum) fee is whatever it is.
If a person wants to pay for the museum experience that's up to the individual.
By all accounts, it is supposed to be a great experience and worth the fees.

I was asking is there a law that says if the vehicle is delivered to the museum, that GM has to charge $995 for the Destination Freight to the museum.
Since the museum is NOT a dealer, why are people being charged for a dealer delivery that never happened?

Last edited by Tonyman262; 04-17-2014 at 11:56 AM.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:58 AM
Modshack
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Greg00Coupe
MAN you guys need to look in the mirror and worry more about your Social Security Check!!! Shows you are acting like old farts.

Get a life...... Either you want to support the museum or don't!!!!

Meh...Mine comes every month like clockwork. Personally I see no need to spend $1,000 for the Museum guys to pat me on the *** and take a picture of me next to my car. I'm sure it's a great experience for those that do it, Just not for me. I'm sure the Museum will get along fine without my $$$. In the old days, you used to get a free years membership with a purchase. I'm sure this encouraged ongoing membership and contributions. I see no such offer with my new C7..
Old 04-17-2014, 12:05 PM
nh_mark
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Modshack
Meh...Mine comes every month like clockwork. Personally I see no need to spend $1,000 for the Museum guys to pat me on the *** and take a picture of me next to my car. I'm sure it's a great experience for those that do it, Just not for me. I'm sure the Museum will get along fine without my $$$. In the old days, you used to get a free years membership with a purchase. I'm sure this encouraged ongoing membership and contributions. I see no such offer with my new C7..
Really? I had a voucher for a 1 year membership in my information package. I already paid for a 1 year membership so I am wondering if I can use that when mine expires but either way I did get this. I would question your dealership as to where yours went.

-Mark

Get notified of new replies

To GM Destination Fee plus Museum Delivery Fee

Old 04-17-2014, 12:29 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

On another note...I have a friend who is among the owners of several major auto transport companies in the U.S. We were talking one day about destination charges and he told me that on average, the transport companies typically are paid around $250 per vehicle. It would thus appear that the car manufacturers are making HUGE profits on their so-called "destination" charges.
Old 04-17-2014, 12:33 PM
Tonyman262
Instructor

Originally Posted by mpuzach
On another note...I have a friend who is among the owners of several major auto transport companies in the U.S. We were talking one day about destination charges and he told me that on average, the transport companies typically are paid around $250 per vehicle. It would thus appear that the car manufacturers are making HUGE profits on their so-called "destination" charges.

My point exactly if true!
Old 04-17-2014, 12:35 PM
Modshack
Safety Car

I was asking is there a law that says if the vehicle is delivered to the museum, that GM has to charge $995 for the Destination Freight to the museum.
Since the museum is NOT a dealer, why are people being charged for a dealer delivery that never happened?
I am sure that has to do with the agreements GM has with the trucking companies...Anytime a vehicle moves out of the factory on one of their trucks, the charge is levied. Nothing at all to do with the Museum being a dealer (or not in this case)...

The liability for the museum to simply drive the car across the street is obviously something they don't want to take on...

Quick Reply: GM Destination Fee plus Museum Delivery Fee