Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM Destination Fee plus Museum Delivery Fee

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 05:53 PM
sabastian458
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

I chuckled when I thought of this, maybe it's stupid.

The delivery fee is what's equal for everyone, not what's fair. And then I remember that there have been many threads complaining about inequality in other aspects of our life's, mainly in the way of taxes paid by hard workers, by freeloaders, and by the "horrible 1%'ers". People want it equally until equally doesn't benefit them. Case in point the delivery fee. I bet the Califorian buyer is happy to pay the $995 fee, where as a Kentuckian buyer wouldn't be.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:06 PM
VADanno
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave@Kerbeck.com
Corvette, to my knowledge, is the only car built in the US that has the option of picking the car up basically at the factory so this isn't an issue for 99.9% of the shoppers out there.

Dave
BMW will let you pick up your new car in South Carolina. They even include track time at their test track. I am looking forward to NCM doing the same thing. I am dragging my feet for another year, so I can enjoy a factory tour, the NCM guys prepping my C7, and an at-speed introduction to the systems in a Z51 NPP FE4 coupe when I buy my weekend toy. That is worth $1000 to me. I will probably go out to Spring Mountain afterwards, if they are still offering big discounts to C7 owners.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:11 PM
Highway 61
Pro

Location: Between Forest Lake and White Bear Lake in the Land of 10,000+ lakes
Received 41 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Kracka
Had the Museum Delivery replaced the destination charge, I definitely would have opted for it, but no way I'm paying $2k for delivery when it doesn't even include my transportation there.
Looks like you're the watermelon in this argument.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:21 PM
Highway 61
Pro

Location: Between Forest Lake and White Bear Lake in the Land of 10,000+ lakes
Received 41 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by PaulB
I have a problem with paying both fees. One or the other. Maybe the Museum people should just pick up the Corvette at the assembly plant and drive it from the plant to the Museum. About 1/2 a mile or 1 mile or less. Last year the Museum delivery charge was 1/2 of what it is today. Its just a way to get the consumer to pay more. And lets not forget the other usual charges, airline tickets, rental car charges, motel expenses, etc. I did my first Museum Delivery in 1998 and it was very exciting. I remember it like it was just yesterday. I still think everyone should experience it at least once if possible. But nowadays its just gotten way to expensive to do it more than once. Thanks, But No Thanks ...
Supply and demand. They probably were not doing to many museum deliveries the last couple years, but with a lot of new Corvette owners buying the C7, demand would be ripe to increase the price at this time. I bet they don't raise the price on this again until the C8 comes out some day.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:23 PM
Tonyman262
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by OldSalem
The true reason for a uniform destination charge is to make it uniform fair for all dealers. In the old days the destination charge was based on the distance of the dealer from the factory giving the closer dealers an advantage in price over those based say for instance California. So it makes no difference if it's going 2 miles the the museum or 2,000 miles it's $995.
As far as the museum delivery charge like those have already said they are a separate non profit org. And the money goes to support the museum.
I chose to take museum delivery because it's my first corvette and might be my last. It's kind of a big deal for me so this will only help make it more memorable. I'm also a car guy by trade, so the plant tour is of interest to me.
Not to mention you have a team of pros doing the PDI.
But I can understand that it's not for everyone, to each his own.

While beating a dead horse is true, the 2 charges of destination and museum was a deal killer for me as well.
I wanted to do the museum delivery.

I get the idea of making the delivery cost the same for all dealers so as to not give an advantage or disadvantage...except... the museum is NOT a dealer as far as I know.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

As far as I know you can't order your vehicle from the museum.
So why is the museum being treated like a dealer?

So here are my solutions to the double charges:

1). GM should charge for the prep and delivery to the museum.
How much, I don't know but certainly less that the $995 Destination Freight Charge that's applied now.
I'm thinking a couple hundred dollars to get the car to the museum + the museum fee.

2). For people that want to take possession at the museum then the smaller fee would apply. For people that want the museum delivery experience and still want their delivery to a local dealer or to their home then the $995 Destination could be added to the museum fee.

While I have heard nothing but great things about the museum delivery experience, not everyone wants to drive from the museum to home for several reasons, time, weather, risk of damage are just a few reasons.

The killer is you have to pay the $995 and you still don't get the vehicle home for what you paid.

The museum is not a dealer so why should you pay for a dealer delivery that did not happen?

3). Make the Spring Mountain Motor Ranch a delivery option.
While this won't replace the museum option and plant tour (nothing could do that) it will:
A). offer something different for folks that have already done the museum & tour.
B). be a lot closer for folks that live west of the Mississippi.
C). be really cool to learn about your new C7 using the schools vehicles before you drive away in your new C7.
Plus you might get to drive one of the Z06s depending on when you go.

Spring Mountain and GM are already offering a 2 day special for all C7 owners (I think the offer is good for a year).
So let's just make it official, and make SM a delivery option!

Last edited by Tonyman262; 04-16-2014 at 06:28 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:44 PM
Dave@Ciocca
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 1,656 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by Tonyman262
While beating a dead horse is true, the 2 charges of destination and museum was a deal killer for me as well.

I get the idea of making the delivery cost the same for all dealers so as to not give an advantage or disadvantage...except... the museum is NOT a dealer as far as I know.

How much, I don't know but certainly less that the $995 Destination Freight Charge that's applied now.
I'm thinking a couple hundred dollars to get the car to the museum + the museum fee.

2). For people that want to take possession at the museum then the smaller fee would apply. For people that want the museum delivery experience and still want their delivery to a local dealer or to their home then the $995 Destination could be added to the museum fee.

While I have heard nothing but great things about the museum delivery experience, not everyone wants to drive from the museum to home for several reasons, time, weather, risk of damage are just a few reasons.

The killer is you have to pay the $995 and you still don't get the vehicle home for what you paid.

The museum is not a dealer so why should you pay for a dealer delivery that did not happen?

While this won't replace the museum option and plant tour (nothing could do that) it will:
A). offer something different for folks that have already done the museum & tour.
C). be really cool to learn about your new C7 using the schools vehicles before you drive away in your new C7.

Spring Mountain and GM are already offering a 2 day special for all C7 owners (I think the offer is good for a year).
You're missing the point. GM doesn't have the option of doing that. It's a federal law that every car has the same destination fee no matter where it is going.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:27 PM
HummelS
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cg02175
I guess your right, but it seems pretty shady on the part of GM. I still don't understand exactly why someone should have to pay a $995 destination fee when the car is not even being shipped anywhere. On top of that we still have to pay GM $995 for the museum delivery.
You're not paying "GM" for the Museum Delivery - the Museum is a separate entity from GM. We have this discussion constantly on this Forum. The cars are in fact trucked from the plant to the Museum, and then the Museum does a fantastic job of prepping the cars. If you buy a 'vette in downtown Bowling Green, you're going to pay the same transport fee as if you bought it in Seattle. That's just the way it works - not just for Corvettes, but across the whole auto industry.

Don't want Museum Delivery? Don't order it. Simple. (But you'll be missing a hell of a good time.) And - the R8C option is just a small percent of what you'll end up spending, once you consider airfare, hotels, meals, gas to get home, etc. We flew from San Diego to Nashville, rental car to BG, three days drive back to CA. Worth every penny!

Go big or stay home.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:36 PM
GN1270
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow can GM just add $1000 to the price of museum delivery so you people will stop complaining. EVERY DAMN GM VEHICLE HAS THE SAME DELIVERY CHARGE NO MATTER WHAT! How about we go one step further for you people and have GM just add the delivery charge to the price of every car and not charge a delivery fee at all? Would you feel better then? 6 in one half dozen in the other. Your museum experience has nothing to do with the delivery to the museum. If there was a dealership right across from the museum you would still pay the deliver fee. The museum is essentially a dealership.

So congrats. Your delivery charge offset the delivery charge for some guy who just recieved a Corvette in Hawaii.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:54 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

M.S.R.P. for R8C is $990 and invoice is $871. I'd still love to know what portion of that money actually goes to the museum.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:57 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,401 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by Steve_R
My dealer tried to sell us some kind of "appearance package" for several hundred $$$ that included undercoating. I didn't say a word, just gave him a look. He dropped the subject.
Well.. you don't want that aluminum frame and composite body rusting out do you?
Old 04-16-2014, 08:01 PM
jwbert
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Tonyman262

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the cars for museum delivery are actually delivered to the local GM dealer in Bowling Green and then on to the museum. You are correct the museum is not a dealer.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:29 PM
musclecar6
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 104 Posts

As always, I see the super thrifties are weighing in. Happens every time this topic is brought up.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:34 PM
air86
Burning Brakes

Received 77 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve_R
Shady? No more than dealers demanding a markup above MSRP, which people are more than willing to pay. Or recently raising the MSRP by $3k because of its popularity, which people are willing to pay. It would bve shady if they hid it, but that's not the case.

GM recognizes that people are willing to pay a hefty premium to own one so they're taking advantage of that while it lasts. Nothing shady about that, and what any of us would do if we owned a business.
Simple supply and demand 101. These cars are selling like hot cakes so the price will continue to rise until they hot cake cools off and inventory starts to build making demand less which means supply outweighed demand so the prices will come down in the form of rebates and discounts. Same with the local dealers. They have 1 on their lot with 20 people interested they will get a potted plant loaded with money to spend 80k on a 55k car that will be worth 45 when he drives it off the lot. I was thinking this would be over by now that the car has been out since Sept. but most small dealerships have exhausted their allocation or they have to spread them out over the M.Y. and so the smaller dealerships will be unable to keep up, plus it improves traffic for people wanting to see the Stingray in person. So the crazy markups will continue.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:00 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

Originally Posted by jwbert
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the cars for museum delivery are actually delivered to the local GM dealer in Bowling Green and then on to the museum. You are correct the museum is not a dealer.
OK, I'll correct you. They are delivered directly to the NCM. The NCM does the "dealer prep".
Old 04-16-2014, 09:18 PM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

It's the same reason the post office charges the same to mail a letter to your next door neighbor or to Alasks or Hawaii.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:52 PM
senah
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 101 Posts

solution. buy your car where you want to. drive it to bowling green. pay 7 bucks to do the factory tour which is more interesting to me than the museum.

even less expensive, wait until the 15s come out, buy a used 14 for 5 to 10 thousand less, drive it to bowling green, take the 7 dollar tour.

or come up with your own plan.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:21 PM
ColJack
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cg02175
Although some people are ok with paying the destination fee on top of the musuem fee and even prices over MSRP, I am not included in that group. I chose to pass on the the extra $995 museum delivery and do pick up at the dealership.
It's your choice. This will be my second museum delivery. I realize it cost me $995 more than a dealership delivery but I personally believe it is worth it! I don't buy a new $70,000 car for cash every day so I want the delivery to be special!

Get notified of new replies

To GM Destination Fee plus Museum Delivery Fee

Old 04-17-2014, 07:45 AM
donsar
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Highway 61
You're talking about two totally different things here.

First, the $995 destination fee is paid by everybody whether the car is shipped across the street or across country. It's an average so everybody pays the same.

Second, the $995 for museum pick-up is charged by the museum for their time and what you get from it. If you don't think what you get from the museum pick-up is worth it. DON"T GET IT!!!
I certainly agree. If a local Chevy dealer in Bowling Green sells a car, he (or the customer) pays the shipping fee the same as one in Oregon.
You can't equate this with the Museum fee. Totally worth it in my opinion.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:22 AM
hope2
Safety Car

Received 358 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave@Kerbeck.com
Correct. The destination fee is mandated to be the same by federal law so that a dealer in KY doesn't get the car for cheaper then me here in NJ and I'm not getting it cheaper than Tommy in NH and he's not getting it cheaper then Tim in CA.

The law is that every car (of the same model) have the exact same destination fee no matter where the car is being shipped to. Corvette, to my knowledge, is the only car built int he US that has the option of picking the car up basically at the factory so this isn't an issue for 99.9% of the shoppers out there.

Dave
Looked for this "law" online, could find nothing, perhaps you could guide me to it. It's Government Mandated
The destination fee should be regarded as yet another cost of doing new car business. There are several other fees that manufacturers must bake into the price of their new cars and trucks, but the U.S. government has required this fee be itemized on the sticker based on the fact that it is a direct cost, above and beyond the "overhead" companies must incur in bringing a product to market. Tax, license and a detailed list of all the standard and manufacturer-installed options and their retail prices must also be clearly listed on the "Monroney label" of each new car.

Truth be told, most manufacturers use the same pool of U.S. freight carriers — each competing for their transport business with the professionalism and care the manufacturers demand. With this in mind, the fact that the fees are basically comparable to each other isn't too much of a surprise. Of course, high-line vehicles must be handled with even greater care and, in some cases, transported in covered vehicles.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:45 AM
2 Ag R8Cs
Race Director

Location: Retired Suffolk County Police Dept NY South Carolina
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had two museum deliveries and was looking forward to a third but the dealer I ordered from could not get me my car and I had to buy one from stock. In another couple years I will order another car and trade in my 2014 for museum delivery.

Quick Reply: GM Destination Fee plus Museum Delivery Fee