Sponsored by:

Stingray or C63 507 AMG

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 11:24 PM
emc7
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stingray or C63 507 AMG

The only reason I am considering the 507 is that it may just be the last great NA V8 from the Germans and I currently have a vehicle under lease with MB which I want to end early, hopefully with another benz I can get the dealer to waive the penalty. I figured I could always scoop up a vette later maybe even the Z variants. Performance wise vette trumps mb in every single metric so lets get that out of the way.

Perfomance to value ratio vette is better, though quality to value ratio I'd say they are roughly equal. 507 comes with some pretty decent hardware, forged wheels, engine components from sls and brakes from black series though no manual sucks. I dont care about back seats, ride quality or brand. The price difference from a z51 1lt is roughly 10k, 2lt 6k.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:27 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

the amg is a better car overall. better built,materials, etc. not even close. amg engine is hand built, balanced and blueprinted. everything about the car is actually really awesome. it also sounds way better than the vette.

vette is all about bang for the buck if that's what you want. better make sure you can get a 507 still. there aren't many out there anymore. last of a great engine.

I only have the vettes and camaros because I can tune them myself and not worried about driving them. a tune for the amg is 3 grand. ouch.

I'd get the amg if you don't care much about modding. if you love to tinker then get the vette.

Last edited by Higgs Boson; 04-15-2014 at 11:30 PM.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:30 PM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

Factor in the Deutsche TLC required with that C63 over the years and it will nickel and dime you to death.

My vote is to save your phennings and strive for the C7 Z06!!
Old 04-15-2014, 11:31 PM
emc7
Intermediate

I can get the z any time, in fact few years later it will even be better. Only thing I cant get over is the no manual option. The current mb lineup suck.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:36 PM
emc7
Intermediate

Has anyone owned or sat in a C63AMG? The standard C class interior dont look too impressive to me.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:47 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

the amg costs the same as any other Benz to maintain. service once a year or every 10k miles. not bad. that's what is cool about amg.

you are looking at an interior that came out in 2008. Benz updates every 7 years very consistently. it's great if you get one when they come out. it's current for a long time. if you get the last year then.....yes outdated. in this case the nav feels old even though it is quite good.

I had an 09 C63. now have a 2013 E Class. will be back in an amg daily driver in 6 months or so. they are too good. I truly believe the Mercedes Benz is the best car on the road....
Old 04-16-2014, 02:30 AM
ck9887
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

C63 if you're worried about quality...
Old 04-16-2014, 02:38 AM
Jay Farber
Advanced

I can't speak for the C63 but I do own a 2012 E63 and I just got my C7 Z51 today.

Build quality wise, the Merc is light years ahead of the Vette. However, it's $50k more than the Vette and designed as a luxury car. Some of the apps are the interface in the Vette are better, the touch screen is cool and the iPod integrates much better than in my Mercedes.

If I was picking a car for every day it would be the Mercedes hands down, however, the E63 is a step above the C63 in creature comforts, I've sat in the C63 and it feels bit cheaper and rides a lot rougher than my E, which you don't care about.

You can have a 2012 E63 for really really close to what a decently optioned C7 Z51 will come out to and I'm making close to 700hp in the E with a chip and exhaust…But the drive and feel of the Vette is very different.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:40 AM
emc7
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jay Farber
I can't speak for the C63 but I do own a 2012 E63 and I just got my C7 Z51 today.

Build quality wise, the Merc is light years ahead of the Vette. However, it's $50k more than the Vette and designed as a luxury car. Some of the apps are the interface in the Vette are better, the touch screen is cool and the iPod integrates much better than in my Mercedes.

If I was picking a car for every day it would be the Mercedes hands down, however, the E63 is a step above the C63 in creature comforts, I've sat in the C63 and it feels bit cheaper and rides a lot rougher than my E, which you don't care about.

You can have a 2012 E63 for really really close to what a decently optioned C7 Z51 will come out to and I'm making close to 700hp in the E with a chip and exhaust…But the drive and feel of the Vette is very different.
How different? Havent driven C7 but the steering wheel diameter felt big and chunky like a luxury car.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:48 AM
Jay Farber
Advanced

Originally Posted by emc7
How different? Havent driven C7 but the steering wheel diameter felt big and chunky like a luxury car.
Driving the Merc aggressively is like throwing a boat around. It's heavy and it drives like a heavy car, it makes absurd power and will step out on you at a moments notice but it's incredibly comfortable nonetheless the active bolsters and massaging driver's seat are my favorite things in a car. The Vette feels like a true sports car, it's agile, the steering feedback is great, it tracks well and responds to every input well, throttle response is much better too. The Vette HUD is really nice.

It really depends on what you want out of a car. For a daily driver I'll take my E63 any day 60-130 it's the fastest car I've ever driven aside from my friend's 800hp Aventador. For a weekend/fun car the Vette. Track car Vette and it's not close. Drag racing, probably the Mercedes but it's close. Can't really compare though since I got an M7 Vette and the Mercedes is still a 7spd Auto
Old 04-16-2014, 02:54 AM
emc7
Intermediate

Seems like not many choice to go to if I want a decent manual. Gt500 is darn expensive for what it is.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:24 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Seems like not many choice to go to if I want a decent manual. Gt500 is darn expensive for what it is.
I considered a GT500. I got to drive a 2013 for a day or so and realized I didn't want it at all..... It's a hell of a motor in Fred Flintstone's chassis. Plus its much more cheaply built inside.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:34 AM
bigterpsfan
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 28 Posts

I know you are looking to get the last great v8, but I would wait until the 2015 c63 comes out. All the reviews on the c400 have been fantastic, especially on the interior.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:04 AM
mjw930
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

You need to recheck your pricing, the 507 with no additional options is $78,000. That's $20,000 more than a 1LT Z51, not $10K. Add some basics like HID headlights, leather and nav and you are well north of $85K.

Here's the pricing from the MB site. Note the carbon interior trim is auto selected with the 507 package.

Name:  Screen Shot 2014-04-16 at 8.05.28 AM.png
Views: 3478
Size:  78.1 KB

Not that I don't think it's a great car, it is but be honest about the cost delta.

Last edited by mjw930; 04-16-2014 at 08:08 AM.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:13 AM
post-it
Racer

The only reason I am considering the 507 is that it may just be the last great NA V8 from the Germans and I currently have a vehicle under lease with MB which I want to end early, hopefully with another benz I can get the dealer to waive the penalty. I figured I could always scoop up a vette later maybe even the Z variants. Performance wise vette trumps mb in every single metric so lets get that out of the way.

Perfomance to value ratio vette is better, though quality to value ratio I'd say they are roughly equal. 507 comes with some pretty decent hardware, forged wheels, engine components from sls and brakes from black series though no manual sucks. I dont care about back seats, ride quality or brand. The price difference from a z51 1lt is roughly 10k, 2lt 6k.
The other members gave some pretty honest thoughts on your post. I am thinking of trading my C7, Z51 for a new Porsche 911.
Both great cars, just different in so many aspects.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:15 AM
C8Jake
Race Director

Received 5,415 Likes on 2,535 Posts

go for the Benz
Old 04-16-2014, 08:27 AM
Bobs C7 Vette
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Good Problem to Have!

Absolutely LOVE my C7, very glad I got it. Many will have a different opinion, but if I had to choose one for my daily driver I would get the Benz. For the past 4 years my daily driver has been a BMW X5 and I am still glad I have it for the bad weather (snowed yesterday in Columbus Ohio) or need to take the kids around, go to Home Depot, when I know I will hit a lot of traffic (C7 is a stick), when parking is an issue...

One solution is get a Base 1LT C7 (put on NPP, Z51 spoiler, Red Calipers, buy a set of cool inexpensive rims if you don't like the base ones) and then get a good deal on a 2 year old C class. Then you have a great high performance sports car and a great daily driver. If the cash flow works that's what I would do. ~$55k for the C7 + ~$30K for a 2 year old CClass and you are not to far off from what a new AMG would cost you and now you are totally set.

Good Luck! - the good news is choosing between those two rides is a good problem to have.

Bob

Get notified of new replies

To Stingray or C63 507 AMG

Old 04-16-2014, 08:39 AM
Bobs C7 Vette
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by post-it
The other members gave some pretty honest thoughts on your post. I am thinking of trading my C7, Z51 for a new Porsche 911.
Both great cars, just different in so many aspects.
I just have to know why?

Love the new 911 4S Targa and if I hade the extra cash would like to have that in addition but as you say the cars are different. I would miss the Vette. I will save my pennies and maybe one day I can have both.

Bob

Old 04-16-2014, 08:42 AM
Kyflyer
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 66 Posts

We compared the C63 AMG, drove it but opted for the CLK 55 AMG instead, less beast, better ride. We drove the SLK 55 AMG last fall thinking we wanted it. We had a minor tiff with the dealership salesperson (new one to us) and left the dealership and decided to wait until after the 1st of the year for our next new toy. We have looked at Corvettes over the years, and drove a few, but we weren't happy with the quality and ride. We decided to drive one again last November and ended up driving a new cyber gray metallic C7 coupe home! We don't regret the switch to-date. The C-63's we have driven have impressive performance, but the ride is harsh. The C7 is by far the most impressive Corvette we have ever driven. The lines are beautiful and the performance is spectacular. Dollar for dollar I don't think there is a better value sports car available. The C63 although a great performer is not a head turner, neither is the SLK when compared to the C7. I liked the 6.3 engine, but actually preferred the 5.5. We have almost 4,000 miles on the C7 to-date and it still impresses us with its style and power. We are already planning what options we want on our next one!
Old 04-16-2014, 09:03 AM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
the amg is a better car overall. better built,materials, etc. not even close. amg engine is hand built, balanced and blueprinted. everything about the car is actually really awesome. it also sounds way better than the vette.

vette is all about bang for the buck if that's what you want. better make sure you can get a 507 still. there aren't many out there anymore. last of a great engine.

I only have the vettes and camaros because I can tune them myself and not worried about driving them. a tune for the amg is 3 grand. ouch.

I'd get the amg if you don't care much about modding. if you love to tinker then get the vette.
Why are Mercedes depreciation rates so staggering and in many cases downright laughable to anyone other than the poor schmo who bought a MB new. I doubt if it is because MB is a "better" car.

MB engine is "balanced and blueprinted", WOW, really? Is this to imply that an LT1 motor is just thrown together in an unbalanced fashion the way kids build a tree house? Ridiculous.

Why does a Corvette hold its value to a much greater degree than a Benz?

Quick Reply: Stingray or C63 507 AMG