Sponsored by:

Stingray or C63 507 AMG

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 09:17 AM
6spdg37s
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by emc7
Has anyone owned or sat in a C63AMG? The standard C class interior dont look too impressive to me.
I been in them car is a beast but I still have the opinion that in the end of the day it is still a c-class. I chose an e92 m3 over the c63 last year. I would totally get an e63s 4matic or CLS 63s 4matic but they are both 100k+ so the vette was an easy choice for me financially
Old 04-16-2014, 10:40 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by drmustang
Why are Mercedes depreciation rates so staggering and in many cases downright laughable to anyone other than the poor schmo who bought a MB new. I doubt if it is because MB is a "better" car.

MB engine is "balanced and blueprinted", WOW, really? Is this to imply that an LT1 motor is just thrown together in an unbalanced fashion the way kids build a tree house? Ridiculous.

Why does a Corvette hold its value to a much greater degree than a Benz?
the Vette is produced in MUCH fewer quantities than "a benz." you are comparing one model to a whole brand? not really even an argument worth engaging.

listen, i like the corvette as much as you do. i do not however, lie to myself and buy cars for resale value, #1....and B, the more expensive the car, the harder it gets hit in deprecation. I've watched 150K Aston Martins go through auction for 30K three years old. THAT is bad depreciation.

So comparing a similar priced Benz with the Vette:
Corvette

C-Class

You tell me how much worse depreciation is on "a Benz." It's virtually the same. Stop spreading BS.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:59 AM
Jimbob26
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 64 Posts

Different cars. AMG Benzes are special, and built to run. They are well-built, and FAST. With that said, I have no doubt the service departments at MBZ dealerships are the profit centers. I occasionally drive a friend's AMG CL55 and the thing is an absolute beast. WHile it won't corner with the Vette, from an acceleration standpoint (and comfort standpoint) it is an absolute killer. On the freeway it's not hard to enjoy the growl of the engine and then nearly **** yourself when you suddenly realize you're doing 125 and still accelerating. THose cars are built for the autobahn. But get your checkbook ready as they are expensive to maintain.

One other point - you can get a primo V12 AMG CL65 for a fraction of the new car's cost. I was recently shopping for a used car for my son and on the Lexus lot they had a slightly used AMG CL65 with all of 32K miles, and it looked like it just rolled out of the showroom. That car was $180K new, and just a couple years later the guy got $45k on a trade. THe sales manager said he could get me close to that number. I was ready to jump on it but had the good sense (doesn't happen often) of calling the MBZ dealer to inquire about maintenance and repair costs for the car. All I can say is I hope the person that bought the car has deep pockets come service/repair time.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:35 AM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
the Vette is produced in MUCH fewer quantities than "a benz." you are comparing one model to a whole brand? not really even an argument worth engaging.

listen, i like the corvette as much as you do. i do not however, lie to myself and buy cars for resale value, #1....and B, the more expensive the car, the harder it gets hit in deprecation. I've watched 150K Aston Martins go through auction for 30K three years old. THAT is bad depreciation.

So comparing a similar priced Benz with the Vette:
Corvette

C-Class

You tell me how much worse depreciation is on "a Benz." It's virtually the same. Stop spreading BS.
Mercedes has HORRIBLE resale, we all know that. Corvette has a decent value hold. No secret to any of this. Save your BS for some other fool.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:41 AM
ECSNRBCHARGED
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I traded my 10' brabus tuned c63 in on my stingray and I have no regrets so far.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:32 PM
Marioshi
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

c63 is cool...if you need a back seat. Honestly it was on my list before buying the C7 (along with an e90 M3) but I decided to hold off on getting a dedicated 4 door until my wife and I are actually having kids (as in 8 months pregnant!)

Also, the FE is horrible, not that its a huge factor but 13/19 on premium just sounds painful.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:49 PM
6spdg37s
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Marioshi
c63 is cool...if you need a back seat. Honestly it was on my list before buying the C7 (along with an e90 M3) but I decided to hold off on getting a dedicated 4 door until my wife and I are actually having kids (as in 8 months pregnant!)

Also, the FE is horrible, not that its a huge factor but 13/19 on premium just sounds painful.
my m3 was slower than my c5z and averaged like 12 MPG ... my c5z gets awesome gas mileage i dont drive it enough to have a number but dailying my c6z with a tune, intake and exhaust i could get up to 25 on highway
Old 04-16-2014, 12:58 PM
Allpro
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I would like to see the 0-60,1/4 mile and top speed times of the C7 Z06 compared to C63AMG,has anyone seen those numbers yet?
Old 04-16-2014, 01:10 PM
TTRotary
Race Director

Received 404 Likes on 160 Posts

We got an E350 last June and we tried the C. Didn't care for it.The interior is surprisingly small, the ride is stiff, and it seemed to me that the materials were not on the level of the E-class. The one GREAT thing about the C63, though, is that engine. Just fantastic. Sounds awesome (better than any Vette), goes like stink, and is clearly a handbuilt engine.

All that said, I didn't consider the C to be a substitute for my C6 performance-wise, and it would certainly be no match for a C7 Z51. If you must have 4 seats, then I suppose that is the car you need.

There is also the E class. Love ours so far - what a nice car.

Last edited by TTRotary; 04-16-2014 at 01:12 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:45 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by TTRotary
We got an E350 last June and we tried the C. Didn't care for it.The interior is surprisingly small, the ride is stiff, and it seemed to me that the materials were not on the level of the E-class. The one GREAT thing about the C63, though, is that engine. Just fantastic. Sounds awesome (better than any Vette), goes like stink, and is clearly a handbuilt engine.

All that said, I didn't consider the C to be a substitute for my C6 performance-wise, and it would certainly be no match for a C7 Z51. If you must have 4 seats, then I suppose that is the car you need.

There is also the E class. Love ours so far - what a nice car.
A "hand built engine" feels different? In what way?
Old 04-16-2014, 02:22 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Mercedes has HORRIBLE resale, we all know that. Corvette has a decent value hold. No secret to any of this. Save your BS for some other fool.
I see. You are only trolling this thread. You just made my ignore list. Have a nice day.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:46 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by 6spdg37s
my m3 was slower than my c5z and averaged like 12 MPG ... my c5z gets awesome gas mileage i dont drive it enough to have a number but dailying my c6z with a tune, intake and exhaust i could get up to 25 on highway
C5Z is a great car. Still very fast and capable by todays standards.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:54 PM
nsxpilot
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I see. You are only trolling this thread. You just made my ignore list. Have a nice day.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:56 PM
redshift1
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

the amg is a better car overall. better built,materials, etc. not even close. amg engine is hand built, balanced and blueprinted. everything about the car is actually really awesome. it also sounds way better than the vette.

vette is all about bang for the buck if that's what you want. better make sure you can get a 507 still. there aren't many out there anymore. last of a great engine.

I only have the vettes and camaros because I can tune them myself and not worried about driving them. a tune for the amg is 3 grand. ouch.

I'd get the amg if you don't care much about modding. if you love to tinker then get the vette.
Drove the C63 AMG hard not to like, comfort and very very fast although a bunch of changes slated for 2015 including engine .

I haven't driven the C7 because of the finicky Southern Cal dealers.

Old 04-16-2014, 03:02 PM
SteveSoCal
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 62 Posts

I asked the owner of a late model C63 AMG how he liked his car.
Walking away, without turning around, he replied "it sure drinks a lot of gas".
Old 04-16-2014, 03:09 PM
TTRotary
Race Director

A "hand built engine" feels different? In what way?
You can feel and hear it - much smoother particularly as compared to something like an factory LS engine. The harmonics are way better and it just sounds fantastic as a result. Of course, you can B&B a LS and get the same result (as I have done on my H&C C6), but that's not how they come from the factory.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:47 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by TTRotary
You can feel and hear it - much smoother particularly as compared to something like an factory LS engine. The harmonics are way better and it just sounds fantastic as a result. Of course, you can B&B a LS and get the same result (as I have done on my H&C C6), but that's not how they come from the factory.
Do you realize that those terrible LS engines that you use as an example can spin for over half a million miles without a rebuild. I think they would have to be reasonably well balanced as they leave the factory. I never knew that torqueing a motor together by a human vs robotics made an engine smoother and better sounding.

Get notified of new replies

To Stingray or C63 507 AMG

Old 04-16-2014, 03:58 PM
TTRotary
Race Director

Do you realize that those terrible LS engines that you use as an example can spin for over half a million miles without a rebuild. I think they would have to be reasonably well balanced as they leave the factory. I never knew that torqueing a motor together by a human vs robotics made an engine smoother and better sounding.
You clearly don't understand the process of blueprinting an engine, or you would know that it is still a manual process and it involves way more prep than balancing. There are different levels of engine building and this is race-standard stuff. The factory LS is very good and balanced well enough for a street design, but it is not this. An intermediate level is the build process at Wixom. Do you think GM would invest in engine-builders if the automated process were just as good?

The LS engines (except the -7) are assembled using mass production, the AMG engines are not. Big difference.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:03 PM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

the amg is a better car overall. better built,materials, etc. not even close. amg engine is hand built, balanced and blueprinted. everything about the car is actually really awesome. it also sounds way better than the vette.

vette is all about bang for the buck if that's what you want. better make sure you can get a 507 still. there aren't many out there anymore. last of a great engine.

I only have the vettes and camaros because I can tune them myself and not worried about driving them. a tune for the amg is 3 grand. ouch.

I'd get the amg if you don't care much about modding. if you love to tinker then get the vette.

I have to disagree... to some extent anyway.

I sold a C63 AMG coupe for the C7 so I have some relevant and very recent experience with the car and I don't expect (or I'm unaware of) many other members who have owned both cars.

First, here is my comparison review... http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1586240751-post57.html

In my opinion, the C7 is a far more "fun" car than the C63. It is very noticeably lighter and more balanced. The steering in the C7 is way better... the C63 steering is very light and not as precise. The interior is of similar quality and feel but nicer, IMO, as it is more of a cockpit feel. Contrary to what some will suggest, the fit/finish and material in the C63 interior is not markedly better than the C7. Maybe slightly better but only very, very slightly. Also, my C7 is rock solid without a hint of a rattle... my C63 was very noisy and had rattles/creaks in the seats, dash, etc. I fixed them all but it was a PITA.

Sound is subjective but they are more similar than different. The C63 sounds like a muscle car. The C7, by comparison, sounds like a muscle car with a european flare to it.

The C7 has more torque and is faster both in actual results and in feel.

The C7's ride quality (with MRC) is similar to the C63.

If someone wants to track the car there is NO comparison. The C63 weighs a ton... it does an OK job of hiding the weight but you know it is there. The C7 handles WAY better in aggressive driving outside of the track too.

Hand built engine? So what... other than bragging rights who cares. It also overheats (well the transmission does) and can't handle any level of track duty.

Reliability? The C63 has problems like any other car. My C63 was in the shop more in the first 2 months of ownership than any car I've owned. They also had significant engine issues early in the engine run... hand built...

Transmission? The C63 auto is good for an auto... the M7 in the C7 is WAY more fun... personal preference here.

The C63 wins on 2 areas only... comfort (getting in and out is easier as it is higher off the ground) and badge snob appeal. Otherwise, the C7 is a faster, better handling, and WAY more fun car to drive.

If I needed a back seat, I would buy a C63. If I wanted a car to have fun in, I would by a C7. Where I live, the C7 is also about $15,000 cheaper than a comparably equipped C63. I would also buy a C63 if I wanted to impress my friends at the country club... I don't belong to a country club and could care less about impressing my friends

Both are great cars but they are very different cars too. In this comparison, the C7 isn't being judged on bang for the buck by me... I'm comparing it to the C63 on the basis that price is irrelevant. Based on that review, it is a decision based on fun vs. back seat/badge.

P.S. I sold the C63 not because I didn't love it... I did. But it was not a great car for HPDE days and once I got use to it, the weight was obvious. The C7 fixed both of those issues for me with little sacrifice (other than a back seat) anywhere else.

P.P.S. If I decided to go back to a German car, it would NOT be a C63. It would be an M3. Better "drivers" car and closer to a C7 in fun factor with similar comfort to a C63. I miss my E92 M3... I don't really miss my C63 even though it really was a great car. Once I got over the "wow torque" the fun factor just wasn't there to the extent I wanted it.

Last edited by gthal; 04-16-2014 at 05:07 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:25 PM
post-it
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobs C7 Vette
I just have to know why?

Love the new 911 4S Targa and if I hade the extra cash would like to have that in addition but as you say the cars are different. I would miss the Vette. I will save my pennies and maybe one day I can have both.

Bob

Hi Bob, I love my C7, however, the 911 with the PDK and Sport Exhaust is a very nice car. C7 is a true value, 911 is pure refinement. The Porsche dealer is giving me exactly what I paid for my Vette.

Quick Reply: Stingray or C63 507 AMG