Belt tensioner issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 02:37 PM
noel48
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Default Belt tensioner issue

got me this morning As soon as I went to V4 I heard the flutter/rattle.Dealer ordered part and will fix Thursday.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:42 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,832 Likes on 2,072 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by noel48
got me this morning As soon as I went to V4 I heard the flutter/rattle.Dealer ordered part and will fix Thursday.

Last 5 of your VIN? That way a range can be found where the pulley may be the culprit of the noise or the fluid leak.

Elmer
Old 04-15-2014, 02:49 PM
noel48
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Old 04-15-2014, 03:20 PM
grandadsvette
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had mine fixed and now its doing it again!
Old 04-15-2014, 07:59 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
Last 5 of your VIN? That way a range can be found where the pulley may be the culprit of the noise or the fluid leak.

Elmer
Please post what the problem really was, and how many cars are affected.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:02 PM
PARANORMAL
SUPPORT AUTISM
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10, '14

Welcome to the club. # 8719
Old 04-15-2014, 08:37 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 687 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by noel48
Apologies to read of your belt concern noel48, but glad to hear that your dealer will be servicing your vehicle. Please keep us posted on the process if possible.

Kindly,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 04-15-2014, 09:35 PM
Tbradshaw
5th Gear

Had my belt tensioner replaced also. Last 5 of VIN 10214. No problem since it was changed in March.
T
Old 04-15-2014, 09:57 PM
rsvette12
Melting Slicks

Received 334 Likes on 249 Posts

Had this problem on my c6 thought it was the pulley, after further investigation not what I wanted to hear 1,500 dollars later it was the harmonic balance, it was walking, a car with minimal miles on it I would not think it would be the problem but just keep it in mind, my c6 had about 32,000 miles on it when it happened.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:47 PM
kp
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 96 Posts

My new one is leaking, not making any noise yet, first one was empty/noisy and replaced at 1200 miles, this one is dripping with 400 miles on it.

I figured it woudnt last since the replacement tensioner date stamp was two months older than the one that came off the car (vin ~7500). My guess is there isnt a revised part, until there is it will be a constant propblem.

Last edited by kp; 04-15-2014 at 10:49 PM.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:01 PM
Tbradshaw
5th Gear

Originally Posted by kp
My new one is leaking, not making any noise yet, first one was empty/noisy and replaced at 1200 miles, this one is dripping with 400 miles on it.

I figured it woudnt last since the replacement tensioner date stamp was two months older than the one that came off the car (vin ~7500). My guess is there isnt a revised part, until there is it will be a constant propblem.
Seems the problem is growing.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:23 AM
eboggs_jkvl

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati

Originally Posted by kp

This is a very bad post. From this, I can see a lot of us experiencing tensioner issues. My car is due in mid May. I hope they have this corrected before 5/5

Elmer
Old 04-16-2014, 10:59 AM
kp
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
This is a very bad post. From this, I can see a lot of us experiencing tensioner issues. My car is due in mid May. I hope they have this corrected before 5/5

Elmer
Maybe, maybe not. Most people wont notice, the oil it leaks is clear and you cant even see it on regular concrete, my garage is sealed so it doesnt soak in and I see the little puddles. Most M7 guys will never be in V4 so even if theirs does leak out most of the oil they may never hear the squeak.

The spring part of the tensioner still works fine even when most of the oil leaks out, it just starts to squeak when in V4, probably because of a weird belt harmonic or something that the fluid in there is supposed to help dampen. Could even be the little shock itself squeaking when the oil runs out.

But the tensioner squeak in V4 is not to be confused with what sounds like an exhaust leak or loud lifter around 1800 rpm under light load in V4 that doesnt happen in V8. Sounds just like a loud header leak, mainly hear it with the windows down or top off. Not sure exactly what it is since you cant be in V4 mode when the car isnt moving. It may be a little extra valvetrain noise when the lifters bleed down or the closed AFM valves and some weird exhaust note in the cats/manifolds.

Luckily its easy to change and its not getting oil on the belt or anything moving, from what I can see the GenV truck engines dont use the hydraulic damper, just the C7 it appears. I'm sure if enough of them go bad the part will be fixed/revised, if not they will keep being replaced until you get a 'good' one I guess.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:24 AM
eboggs_jkvl

Originally Posted by kp
Maybe, maybe not. Most people wont notice, the oil it leaks is clear and you cant even see it on regular concrete, my garage is sealed so it doesnt soak in and I see the little puddles. Most M7 guys will never be in V4 so even if theirs does leak out most of the oil they may never hear the squeak.

The spring part of the tensioner still works fine even when most of the oil leaks out, it just starts to squeak when in V4, probably because of a weird belt harmonic or something that the fluid in there is supposed to help dampen. Could even be the little shock itself squeaking when the oil runs out.

But the tensioner squeak in V4 is not to be confused with what sounds like an exhaust leak or loud lifter around 1800 rpm under light load in V4 that doesnt happen in V8. Sounds just like a loud header leak, mainly hear it with the windows down or top off. Not sure exactly what it is since you cant be in V4 mode when the car isnt moving. It may be a little extra valvetrain noise when the lifters bleed down or the closed AFM valves and some weird exhaust note in the cats/manifolds.

Luckily its easy to change and its not getting oil on the belt or anything moving, from what I can see the GenV truck engines dont use the hydraulic damper, just the C7 it appears. I'm sure if enough of them go bad the part will be fixed/revised, if not they will keep being replaced until you get a 'good' one I guess.
Sounds like a tensioner lottery from GM.

Elmer
Old 04-16-2014, 01:13 PM
stevelischynsky
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For a second, I thought your guys were talking about your tummies putting tension on your pant belts after a steak or two.
Old 05-17-2014, 11:44 PM
Sallye M
22 Hypersonic Grey HTC
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 142 Likes on 77 Posts

My vin 118XX, 4900 miles, started making the "scratchy" noise today while in V4 mode. I will visit the dealer this week to have them find and fix the problem.
I've been hearing a sound like liquid dripping on hot metal from around the engine area after driving for a while. Sounds like a frying sound, liquid on hot metal. Didn't notice anything on the ground after this sound.
Another time I did see some liquid on the garage floor after driving but thought it must be from ac compressor. Thinking now it make be belt tensioner oil since it is clear as the liquid I saw dripping down on the garage floor was clear.
Old 05-18-2014, 12:29 AM
kp
Melting Slicks

The air conditioning condensate from the evaporator drips right on the exhaust so thats probably the frying sound you are hearing. The tensioner is in front of the spring pretty low so it cant really drip on the exhaust, its hard to see from on top if its leaking.

Get notified of new replies

To Belt tensioner issue

Old 05-21-2014, 04:19 PM
nichtlangsam
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My VIN 3824 with 5918 miles is currently in the shop waiting for a new tensioner.

Dang, I must be driving it too hard. Last and only tensioner I ever replaced was on my 98 Ford Ranger...only it had 168,000 miles on it.

I still have the Ranger...guess I will keep this one also.
Old 05-21-2014, 04:36 PM
Sallye M
22 Hypersonic Grey HTC
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 142 Likes on 77 Posts

Dealer confirmed today the belt tensioner is faulty and leaking. They will order the part and replace it.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:41 PM
conadslv
Advanced

I'm experiencing the same rattling noise. I started noticing it last week after I had my radar detector installed so my original thought was maybe the person that hard wired my RD didn't tighten something all the way and that was what was causing the noise. after finding this thread and checking to see if it was making the noise while in V4 (which it was) I'm pretty certain it's the belt tensioner. I'm going to try and take it into the dealership tomorrow to get fixed.
my only concern is is the car still safe to drive or could this potentially lead to further damage to the engine?
VIN# 15984

Quick Reply: Belt tensioner issue