Old 04-14-2014, 06:19 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,512 Likes on 2,317 Posts
C7 & C8 Events Correspondent
Tech Contributor
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year (track prepared)
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C7 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Default An online petition that will be submitted to GM regarding Corvette paint issues

Friends,

After reading a forum member's comment on another thread having to do with excessive orange peel suggesting that forum members with paint issues join together to notify GM of their issues, I took it upon myself to start a petition towards that end.

This thread is not intended to be a forum for bashing GM, but a vehicle for making our voices heard regarding any paint issues that we have personally seen or experienced. Please do not use this thread for ranting or flaming GM. The sole intent of this post and the petition is for the purpose of informing GM of our concerns.

If you have no complaints regarding paint quality, move along. If you are a current owner or a potential future owner, feel free to sign the petition. There is also a place on the petition for comments.

Once the petition reaches 100 signatures, GM will be made aware of it. Signatures can continue to be added beyond that point, but the threshold for notification is 100.

Here is the link to the petition:

http://www.change.org/petitions/gene...vette-stingray

I also want to go on the record as saying that I am grateful for the attention GM placed on correcting my paint issues. They were excessive and far beyond your basic orange peel issues. However, as some have recently experienced orange peel, paint runs, and thin paint on more recently delivered Corvettes, I feel that a petition is a reasonable medium for making GM aware of the issues we are continuing to see. I personally saw a new black convertible in a dealership recently that had a terrible amount of orange peel. I have seen other black Corvettes with very little orange peel. Hopefully our united voices will make a difference.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:36 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year

5 signatures already...
Old 04-14-2014, 06:39 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,401 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Know why this will go nowhere?

Because if they DO acknowledge the problem, they're going to have a s***load of cars they're going to be liable to repaint....Nice thought but it ain't gonna happen.....

By the way.. after reading the actual petition, are you ****ing kidding me? Looks like it was written by a 5 year old......

To:
General Motors
Improve the quality of the paint on the 2014 Corvette Stingray

Sincerely,
[Your name]
Laughable.......

Last edited by KenHorse; 04-14-2014 at 06:44 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:50 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year

Originally Posted by KenHorse
Know why this will go nowhere?

Because if they DO acknowledge the problem, they're going to have a s***load of cars they're going to be liable to repaint....Nice thought but it ain't gonna happen.....

By the way.. after reading the actual petition, are you ****ing kidding me? Looks like it was written by a 5 year old......
Ken, whatever the outcome, at least those with concerns did something to start the ball rolling. And regarding your comment about the actual petition, the setup asked me to input the following:

"What do you want them to do? (Call to action)

Ask your petition's decision maker to do something, as if you were speaking to them directly. For example, "Pay your workers overtime"."

It was in this field that I simply input:

"Improve the quality of the paint on the 2014 Corvette Stingray"

I was then asked to fill in the portion about why this is important. I felt my comment was concise and to the point.

I would gladly entertain a more sophisticated summary for that particular field if you would like to offer one.

P.S. The actual petition letter that will be sent to GM is not just the "Improve the quality of the paint on the 2014 Corvette Stingray."

Last edited by jagamajajaran; 04-14-2014 at 06:55 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:50 PM
rsvette12
Melting Slicks

Received 334 Likes on 249 Posts

A little harsh Ken
Old 04-14-2014, 06:53 PM
post-it
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jagamajajaran
Friends,

After reading a forum member's comment on another thread having to do with excessive orange peel suggesting that forum members with paint issues join together to notify GM of their issues, I took it upon myself to start a petition towards that end.

This thread is not intended to be a forum for bashing GM, but a vehicle for making our voices heard regarding any paint issues that we have personally seen or experienced. Please do not use this thread for ranting or flaming GM. The sole intent of this post and the petition is for the purpose of informing GM of our concerns.

If you have no complaints regarding paint quality, move along. If you are a current owner or a potential future owner, feel free to sign the petition. There is also a place on the petition for comments.

Once the petition reaches 100 signatures, GM will be made aware of it. Signatures can continue to be added beyond that point, but the threshold for notification is 100.

Here is the link to the petition:

http://www.change.org/petitions/gene...vette-stingray

I also want to go on the record as saying that I am grateful for the attention GM placed on correcting my paint issues. They were excessive and far beyond your basic orange peel issues. However, as some have recently experienced orange peel, paint runs, and thin paint on more recently delivered Corvettes, I feel that a petition is a reasonable medium for making GM aware of the issues we are continuing to see. I personally saw a new black convertible in a dealership recently that had a terrible amount of orange peel. I have seen other black Corvettes with very little orange peel. Hopefully our united voices will make a difference.
Sorry, not an issue with my C7! VIN 1363, delivered in October,is a very good car. No paint issues, no mechanical issues and is a very beautiful car.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:56 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year

Originally Posted by post-it
Sorry, not an issue with my C7! VIN 1363, delivered in October,is a very good car. No paint issues, no mechanical issues and is a very beautiful car.
That's great! I have seen some with beautiful fit and finish. The issue is a matter of consistency. I'm glad your car has no issues. They should ALL come out of the factory as such.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:00 PM
post-it
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you,I am more than pleased with my car. I am a very **** person about fit, finish and overall quality.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:00 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Originally Posted by rsvette12
A little harsh Ken
Maybe so.....

But it is still a complete waste of time. An online petition is not going to spur GM into doing a damn thing about the paint quality. A battery of lawyers probably couldn't get them to. I live in reality and a petition to GM has about as much chance of the desired effect as a petition demanding the resignation of....oh wait, I won't get political.....

As for my comments about the petition itself, I'll just say that ANY petition that would have ANY chance of getting any manufacturer's attention would have to be quite a bit more sophisticated than the one I read. Seriously......
Old 04-14-2014, 07:04 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year

Maybe so.....

But it is still a complete waste of time. An online petition is not going to spur GM into doing a damn thing about the paint quality. A battery of lawyers probably couldn't get them to. I live in reality and a petition to GM has about as much chance of the desired effect as a petition to resign presented to.....oh wait, I won't get political.....

As for my comments about the petition itself, I'll just say that ANY petition that would have ANY chance of getting any manufacturer's attention would have to be quite a bit more sophisticated than the one I read. Seriously......
Ken, I understand your point of view. Setting up the petition was my first goal. Having not created an online petition with change.org, I did not know what the petition would actually look like once I had created it. However, the portion that will go to GM can be edited, so after I have some time to create something more appropriate, I will input it instead. As I said previously, if you would like to offer constructive input as to what should be said, feel free to do so. However, I do not expect that you will do so since you think the petition is a waste of time in the first place.

...kind of like the waste of time that it was for you to have commented on this thread...

Last edited by jagamajajaran; 04-14-2014 at 07:06 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:06 PM
#1c6
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Maybe so.....

But it is still a complete waste of time. An online petition is not going to spur GM into doing a damn thing about the paint quality. A battery of lawyers probably couldn't get them to. I live in reality and a petition to GM has about as much chance of the desired effect as a petition demanding the resignation of....oh wait, I won't get political.....

then step up and getter done!!!
Old 04-14-2014, 07:11 PM
MThomas
Safety Car

Received 117 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by rsvette12
A little harsh Ken
He always comes across this way.
rsvette12
Melting Slicks

Received 334 Likes on 249 Posts

I see your point also Ken

I am a reality type of person myself

Last edited by rsvette12; 04-14-2014 at 07:13 PM.
KenHorse
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jagamajajaran
Ken, I understand your point of view. Setting up the petition was my first goal. Having not created an online petition with change.org, I did not know what the petition would actually look like once I had created it. However, the portion that will go to GM can be edited, so after I have some time to create something more appropriate, I will input it instead. As I said previously, if you would like to offer constructive input as to what should be said, feel free to do so. However, I do not expect that you will do so since you think the petition is a waste of time in the first place.

...kind of like the waste of time that it was for you to have commented on this thread...
I see you updated it - MUCH better

Still a waste of time but it reads better

Know how get GM's attention? 2 words - CLASS ACTION..short of that, nuthin' is gonna get 'em to budge
Old 04-14-2014, 07:14 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year

This is what it says at this moment. Input on revisions are welcome.

To:
General Motors
Far too many 2014 Corvette Stingray owners have noticed a less than desirable finish on their new Corvettes. There are many that have excessive orange peel and some even have paint runs and thin paint in areas. The paint on each Stingray should be consistent and of the highest quality. Please work toward improving the quality of the paint on the Corvette Stingray.

Sincerely,
[Your name]
Old 04-14-2014, 07:18 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year

Know how get GM's attention? 2 words - CLASS ACTION..short of that, nuthin' is gonna get 'em to budge
I'm not convinced that CLASS ACTION is the only thing they will listen to. It's possible, but it did not take anything close to that for them to address my issues.

Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little.

- Edmund Burke
Old 04-14-2014, 07:20 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Originally Posted by MThomas
He always comes across this way.
I freely admit that

I can be VERY diplomatic when I want to be....

Get notified of new replies

To An online petition that will be submitted to GM regarding Corvette paint issues

Old 04-14-2014, 07:43 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

I freely admit that

I can be VERY diplomatic when I want to be....
Ken, Wasn't that last outbreak of diplomatic behavior back in 1980 or '81?

Seriously I agree with you that if the petition makes people feel better fine but it isn't going to get a significant reaction from GM. AND if they revised procedures to consistently produce the level of detailed fit and finish that some people desire the price would be a whole lot higher. Costs go up rapidly when you try to drive these types of issues down to near zero and the majority of customers would raise bloody hell over the resultant increased price.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:45 PM
kp
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 96 Posts

Know how get GM's attention? 3 words - STOP BUYING THEM, short of that, nuthin' is gonna get 'em to budge
Fixed it for you

Class action for a cosmetic issue will get you nowhere.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:50 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,212 Likes on 824 Posts

I'll disagree a little here....One thing that might even be better than class action is publicity. We have how many members? The right information at the right time in the right area on the internet could do wonders as well.

And like others have said doing nothing means just that.

Quick Reply: An online petition that will be submitted to GM regarding Corvette paint issues