Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

An online petition that will be submitted to GM regarding Corvette paint issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 10:29 PM
Translator
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Guys, let us PLEASE keep this thread civil and on the right track; so that it does not get locked; and so that it serves its intended purpose. Thank you.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:30 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,211 Likes on 823 Posts

Originally Posted by 455230
Shouldnt GM hire someone who doesnt need a white cane to do this?
white cane?

He just needs to NOT be Mr. Magoo...
Old 04-14-2014, 10:32 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

how is it some paint jobs are fine but some aren't? I know that each car goes into the same paint facility, painted by the same robot, using the same paint manufacturer. Forgive my ignorance but it's not as if Billy Bob Hillbilly paints some of them and Picasso paints others.....my paint is fine, so is the fit and finish and so is the fact that I haven't had any issues whether they be electrical or mechanical. What soooo many people in here fail to see is that these are machines, 10,000 + parts go into a car so the chances of one two or 10 of these parts failing which in turn causes another part to fail are pretty damn high so yelling at GM about something that they obviously didn't intend to happen IMO is a bit rash. The petition is a good idea on paper but as far as anything getting done about it, good luck, you're better off playing pickup sticks with your butt cheeks than getting GM to help you. My .02
Old 04-14-2014, 10:45 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,512 Likes on 2,317 Posts
C7 & C8 Events Correspondent
Tech Contributor
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year (track prepared)
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C7 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by themonk
...you're better off playing pickup sticks with your butt cheeks...
Gonna have to try that!
Old 04-14-2014, 10:50 PM
dpb
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Signed

I love my Vette but $1500 later, it still does not pop like a silver vette should!! The panels are not spaced correctly, orange peel is evident, overspray in a few places..... oh, and a repair to the cracked waterfall that was painted over. QC needs to improve. This is the best performing Vette I have owned. I just can't get that deep luster a quality paint job gives you. Takes away from the overall appearance of a beautiful car!!!

dpb
Old 04-14-2014, 10:56 PM
AttyVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by rsvette12
A little harsh Ken
I, for one, am glad that someone has taken it upon themselves to start a petition regarding this important matter. I applaud OP for his petition and for this thread!
Old 04-14-2014, 11:03 PM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by hawkgfr
I'll disagree a little here....One thing that might even be better than class action is publicity. We have how many members? The right information at the right time in the right area on the internet could do wonders as well.

And like others have said doing nothing means just that.
The kind of publicity that impacts resale values by creating a sense of fear of 2014 C7's new or used? Fact is that most C7's have decent paint. My paint is pretty good in fact with very little orange peel. Most of the C7's I've seen had good paint too. My guess is that this is not a case of an epidemic but rather a small percentage of cars produced and is more prevalent on earlier vins.

944 views on this thread and only 27 signatures on this petition. If this issue is such a wide spread one, I'd expect a lot more signatures on that partition already. In fact, I even signed the petition myself simply out of courtesy to those who have the issue. Not because I have any complaints with my car.

Last edited by slief; 04-14-2014 at 11:07 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:11 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,211 Likes on 823 Posts

Originally Posted by slief
The kind of publicity that impacts resale values by creating a sense of fear of 2014 C7's new or used? Fact is that most C7's have decent paint. My paint is pretty good in fact with very little orange peel. Most of the C7's I've seen had good paint too. My guess is that this is not a case of an epidemic but rather a small percentage of cars produced and is more prevalent on earlier vins.
I think all of the ones I've seen at dealers had decent paint as well (20 ish)...but the true percentage, if it could be measured here, (yes very subjective) would probably be a reasonable sample size to give a decent percentage of how many think their paint is bad overall...

I mean the paint process for the Corvette is truly one of the most modern out there imo and results should be very consistent from car to car.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:27 PM
HogwildC7
Melting Slicks

Received 132 Likes on 97 Posts

Signed the quality on my car was awful.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:39 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year

The petition was started a little over 5 hours ago and there are now 28 signatures.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:41 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year

The petition letter to GM has now been updated to read as follows:

To: General Motors

Far too many 2014 Corvette Stingray owners have noticed a less than desirable finish on their new Corvettes. While a minimal amount of orange peel is expected, there are many that have an excessive level of orange peel. Some new Corvettes are even being delivered with paint runs and thin paint in various areas. The Corvette community expects the paint on each Stingray to be consistent and of the highest quality.

We, therefore, do hereby petition GM to acknowledge the paint consistency and quality issues and to make adjustments in the paint and quality control processes to protect future Corvette buyers from paint and finish disappointment. Furthermore, we petition GM to take action to offer corrective services to 2014 Corvette Stingray owners who have less than satisfactory paint finish on their Corvettes.

Taking actions such as those described above will result in a higher level of customer satisfaction, an increase in sales, and will build credibility with current and prospective Corvette Stingray owners alike. We all look forward to future improvements and corrective measures. Thank you for your consideration on this matter.

Sincerely,
[Your name]
Old 04-15-2014, 12:21 AM
r1owner
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Isn't the bash coming up soon? Top brass from GM and the plant themselves should be there right? Maybe then would be a good time to bring it to their attention?

Maybe I'll set up a mobile wet sanding, polish truck in the parking lot!
Old 04-15-2014, 01:15 AM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!

Originally Posted by jagamajajaran
Gonna have to try that!
go ahead, just don't post any pics
Old 04-15-2014, 01:18 AM
themonk
Team Owner

shouldn't that petition only be signed by people who have paint issues of their own?

that's kinda like me signing a petition to lower American income tax rates even though I live in Canada.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:53 AM
jr3
Safety Car

Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts

I think GM should add $300K to the price tag of every C7 and spend two months sanding and polishing on every single C7's clear coat, and add a 2 year wait list so every person is 100% happy with their orange peel.
Old 04-15-2014, 04:16 AM
Papas02C5
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Signed
Old 04-15-2014, 06:37 AM
proexpert
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 237 Posts

Good idea.
My last C5 had real bad paint, This is an old problem that GM doesn't care about.

Get notified of new replies

To An online petition that will be submitted to GM regarding Corvette paint issues

Old 04-15-2014, 07:08 AM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

Received 1,293 Likes on 722 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by r1owner
Isn't the bash coming up soon? Top brass from GM and the plant themselves should be there right? Maybe then would be a good time to bring it to their attention?

Maybe I'll set up a mobile wet sanding, polish truck in the parking lot!
Funny you mention the upcoming Bash. Back in 2005 I attended that C5/C6 Bash and there were two BG plant personnel going around and closely visually inspecting the C6 paint surfaces of a number of cars even noting their VINs. My precision red C6 Coupe (early build #117X) amung them.

My OP actually was not bad and seemed to be less noticeable over time exposed to the sun's heat after six months. Could the clear coat flow a little to level out some and improve its appearance? Or maybe it was just the Zaino. I did have two paint runs fortunately under the rear license plate area still there 6 1/2 years later at trade in time.

My Laguna Blue has minimal OP and no other appearance issues.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:16 AM
C8Jake
Race Director

Received 5,415 Likes on 2,535 Posts

http://corvettec7fiasco.blogspot.ca/

How bad is the Corvette C7 Stingray paint quality? Well, it has to be real bad if desperate buyers resort to public petion approach.

However, there is a problem with this approach and unfortunately the pure desperation prevents the new owners from thinking logically.

There is really no need to question the logic of someone buying a car and then demanding improvements AFTER buying his or hers car. Like with anything else, BUYER BEWARE rules and the case of horrible paint quality and owners complaining about it after their purchase proves it very well.

The paint quality of the new Corvette is not just bad, it is non existent. For the reasons stated in the past, there seems to be a combination of unqualified employees, unsuitable environment and maybe UAW sponsored industrial sabotage?

With that said, unless someone is legally blind, it is very easy to see, there are fish eyes, drips, tiger striping in metallic colors and orange peel galore. Certainly, Bausch and Lomb will be happy to honor the AARP discounts for those who suffer from poor eye sight due to the expected old age of the Corvette buyers.

So why whine afterwards? Is there any point to it? In reality, the current fit and finish and paint quality of the Stingray is described by +General Motors as "ACCEPTABLE". Will a demand to make an improvement cause GM and +Tadge Juechter re-evaluate the current production methods and laughable quality control pretense? Not a chance. If this happened, then Tadge would come out as a complete liar after bragging for months about the "180 million investment" GM made in modernizing the Bowling Green facility, including the "upgraded" PAINT SHOP.

Furthermore, why on Earth would anyone buy a car with such deplorable paint quality in the first place? The horrible paint quality is not a big secret, in this age of information, it is easy to find enough testimonies to at least look pretty hard at the car and if needed, travel to a remote dealer a few risk taking buyers choose.

Not only complaining afterwards is futile and laughable but it actually hurts those that complain since this complaining amounts to nothing less than SELF INCRIMINATION to potential future buyers of their cars.

2014 Stingrays are already "marked" due to many issues and obsolete automatic transmission that will be replaced next year. When these issues are combined with public admission of the owners regarding the shoddy paint, the beating during future resales will be even more severe.

But... apparently nothing feels better than self inflicted wounds. Have the buyers be smart, they would be keeping a low profile on the entire issue instead of pulling a stunt like this one:

Petitions worked out great in recalling Obama, no doubt they will be just as effective in improving FUTURE Stingray cars. Maybe these first buyers took one up their rear end for the team?

Tadge Juechter and rest of the Corvette design team and GM marketing are very good at the game of denial, maybe there should be some seminars sponsored by GM to teach the buyers how to ignore the problems with the Stingray?
Old 04-15-2014, 09:12 AM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year

Originally Posted by C7Jake
http://corvettec7fiasco.blogspot.ca/

How bad is the Corvette C7 Stingray paint quality? Well, it has to be real bad if desperate buyers resort to public petion approach.

Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah!

Tadge Juechter and rest of the Corvette design team and GM marketing are very good at the game of denial, maybe there should be some seminars sponsored by GM to teach the buyers how to ignore the problems with the Stingray?
First, this guy is a first class extremist jerk who apparently has an axe to grind against Tadge and GM. It is my understanding that he is a former Corvette forum member but was banned. In my opinion he is like the Wizard of Oz...a little man hiding behind a blogspot curtain. "Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain."

Secondly, the petition's purpose is to be yet another means of notifying GM that there are current and potential Corvette owners who have concerns about paint quality and consistency. As stated in the original post, this thread is not a place for ranting or bashing GM. If you would like to do that, please start your own thread, which will probably be quickly locked.

(C7Jake, I am not speaking against you here...you simply posted the other individual's blog and I understand that.)

Quick Reply: An online petition that will be submitted to GM regarding Corvette paint issues