Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Targa top - difficult to install w/ 1 person

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 10:09 AM
fredmills
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for all your insight and advice. Particularly C6RaceCar's tip on passenger side window down just a inch to help support right side. Best advice of all - get a 2nd person.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:19 AM
Speednet
Melting Slicks

Received 755 Likes on 332 Posts

Piece of cake for one person to take off and put back on. I can do it quicker than raising or lowering my C5 convertible top.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:29 AM
lottavettes
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have a passenger, make sure they are out of the car when you are doing the top either way. Very easy to bang them on the head with the top. Yes I've done it and she was talking restraining order.

Never tried the 'over the heard' method. I stand outside, push up and forward to slightly rest my corner on the windshield then lift out and away......putting on, I first rest it on the windshield then get a better grip and set the back end down first as close as you can to the pins. Now easy to wiggle into place and clamp down from inside. As a 3 time Flying Roof Club member DO NOT do anything (phone call, going back to the house, etc) until the whole process is completed. Not a good feeling to see your top cartwheeling down the road behind you.

I put the top on while stopped at a redlight when it started to rain. Talking about pressure.

Last edited by lottavettes; 04-15-2014 at 10:32 AM.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:39 AM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

Received 1,293 Likes on 722 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

A good video demonstration on C7 targa top.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:45 AM
F4Topgun
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 20 Posts

When I got the email update that this tread was still active I decided to do a quick experiment this morning. I timed myself taking the targa off and then putting it back on.

OFF from doors closed to targa locked into the truck and doors closed again: 43 sec

ON from doors closed and windows up, targa in trunk to everything closed again: 57 sec

I was in the garage and it probably could have been a touch faster if I had had a little more room to maneuver. All just for fun. No official records set.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:46 AM
entologix
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KenHorse
It seems to me that the C7 coupe is pretty much buffet-free. At worst, it's considerable less than my C6 coupe ever was. And we did a 90+ mile drive yesterday with the top off at speeds well over 60

(But I learned to ignore it with my C6 )
Yes... I can see where being ignorant can help you
Old 04-15-2014, 10:59 AM
Philr56
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 36 Posts

The C7 top is much lighter than my C6s but taking it on and off is still cumbersome because the weather stripping is much thicker and requires more pressure to lock in place. I'm sure it will become easier with time.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:43 AM
C6RaceCar
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fredmills
Thanks for all your insight and advice. Particularly C6RaceCar's tip on passenger side window down just a inch to help support right side. Best advice of all - get a 2nd person.
Glad I could help. Yeah that window up is like that second person holding it in place for you while you line it up. And As long as the door is shut and you dont lower the window down much more than an inch or so, it will support the weight of your top no problem. An "old" guy at a car showed me this back in 07 when I got my first C6. He saw me struggling and rather than help me, he told me how to do it correctly by myself. Worked like a charm everytime.

Old 04-17-2014, 10:09 AM
Rich427
Pro

Received 63 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by F4Topgun
When I got the email update that this tread was still active I decided to do a quick experiment this morning. I timed myself taking the targa off and then putting it back on.

OFF from doors closed to targa locked into the truck and doors closed again: 43 sec

ON from doors closed and windows up, targa in trunk to everything closed again: 57 sec

I was in the garage and it probably could have been a touch faster if I had had a little more room to maneuver. All just for fun. No official records set.
F4Topgun, I have been trying to reach you about Spring Mountain. Sent you a PM a while back and did not get a response. Please send me a PM if you can.

Sorry, did not mean to hijack this thread.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:39 PM
wgood
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by fredmills
Targa top - easy to install with 2 people - very difficult with 1 person.
Give me some tips on where to stand/sit to get 2 rear pins to slide into slots w/o dropping the top or scratching something. (taking it off is easy)
The only problem I had was getting the rear to line up properly and not squash the rear gasket so I had to have a second person !!! Wayne
Old 04-18-2014, 10:53 PM
Cruiter
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
On order: Torch Red Z51

You've got an inch and a half on me, and I don't have a problem either. Guess us 'little' folk just have good balance
Originally Posted by slief
I'm a little guy at 5'6" and I put it on the same way by myself and it's very easy. Taking it off, I essentially do the same as when I put it on. I sit in the seat, unlatch it. Hold the outer edge with my left hand and support it in the middle with my right hand. I then step out of the car lifting it up in the process. Very easy to do.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:43 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by KenHorse
I've been removing and replacing my C6's targa top all by myself for years. There are no differences with my C7's.

Open the hatch FULLY. Roll both drivers and passenger windows down and leave driver's door open. Release both front latches and the rear one. get your fingers under the front edge of the top and lift enough to get fingers under and grip it. Slowly lift and slide forward JUST ENOUGH to get your right hand's fingers under the rear edge and grip tightly. Continue lifting front edge as slide the top forward until the pins in the rear of the top clear the frame. Lift panel vertically (I place the driver's side edge against my stomach to use as a pivot point). CAREFULLY carry back to hatch area and SLOWLY lower into "trunk" area, taking care not to hit the raised hatch. Continue lowering front edge into mounts, slide forward and let rear edge snap into retainers along the back edge of the "trunk".

To install, reverse procedure.

Very easy to do after you've done it a few times.
Agreed Ken.

Do it a few times and it becomes second nature. Folks must remember to always pay attention and don't get casual with the process. That's when something can go wrong.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:57 PM
HalfMoon
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

The only issue I have is that the seal on the rear is a bit more finicky than the C6 (or C5 for that matter). If you're not careful when you put the top back on the corner of the seal where the windows meet the roof will poke out.

Never had that on my C5 or C6. Otherwise though, this roof is awesome being so much lighter.
Old 04-19-2014, 01:09 AM
thedofuss
Drifting

sounds like im going to be driving with the top on most of the time. anybody have a video of this? that shouldnt be too hard. plus, if a picture is worth a 1,000 words, imagine what a video is worth (btw, it doesnt help to say "its really easy").

Last edited by thedofuss; 04-19-2014 at 01:13 AM.
Old 04-19-2014, 06:12 AM
thedofuss
Drifting

Originally Posted by CRABBYJ

2014 Corvette Stingray: How It Works: Roof Panel Access - YouTube
Crabbyj, youre my new forum hero. ask a question, give them an excellent, abbreviated, complete answer, with a video. . YOU THE MAN!
Old 04-19-2014, 07:32 AM
green2000
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 88 Posts

[QUOTE=CRABBYJ;1586661531]A good video demonstration on C7 targa top.
The video is great for a tall person with long arms. It doesn't work as well for more average people and it would have been nice to see it done with someone smaller. I find it somewhat more difficult than my C5 except for the lighter weight and you have to be careful not to have the front latches less than fully open. Also you have to firmly push against the rear weatherstrip.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:45 AM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

[QUOTE=green2000;1586695295]
Originally Posted by CRABBYJ
The video is great for a tall person with long arms. It doesn't work as well for more average people and it would have been nice to see it done with someone smaller.
I am the US average height of 5'10" and that method is what I have always used on my C5, C6 and now use on my C7 - my buddy who is 5'6" has a much harder time with it.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:06 AM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

I am 5'10". And I find it cumbersome . It really is best and safer, in my opinion, to have two people. No point in being macho if you damage the thing doing it alone. There are no do overs...
Old 04-19-2014, 10:20 AM
Harry2
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 403 Likes on 222 Posts

I can only speak to my previous C6 roof panels, but it was all practice made it very easy, soon you will be able to complete the task in under a minute. As others have stated, be careful of windy days, and have gloves in the car, I used yellow dish washing gloves to prevent finger prints, and more importantly, to prevent "burns" on sunny days when the car was out in the sun. Also, if you have back problems, make sure you are careful when twisting to take/put it on.

Make sure the fasteners are all secure when you are done, or, you will join the infamous and expensive "flying roof club."

Good luck.

Last edited by Harry2; 04-20-2014 at 09:27 AM.

Quick Reply: Targa top - difficult to install w/ 1 person