C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone experienced their C6 are always putting down your C7?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 07:02 AM
Naples FL
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 168 Likes on 90 Posts

Default Has anyone experienced their C6 are always putting down your C7?

I just came from a car show and found it odd that a lot of c6 owners are constantly putting down the C7....some even refer to it as a Camaro! I also own a C3 and this is my 8th corvette...my most recent was a 427.... IMO I believe my C7 Z51 is by far the best Vette ever....yet I still love them all....I just don't get the attitude by some...

Last edited by 9157; 04-13-2014 at 07:21 AM.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:12 AM
USAF
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Were jealous.

USAF
Old 04-13-2014, 07:13 AM
mksz51
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 95 Posts

It's some part jealousy but mostly a method of "self-justification" to try to make themselves satisfied with the C6 when in reality they really do want a C7. Works in the short run, typically fails in the long run
Old 04-13-2014, 07:48 AM
SRQStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by mksz51
It's some part jealousy but mostly a method of "self-justification" to try to make themselves satisfied with the C6 when in reality they really do want a C7. Works in the short run, typically fails in the long run
This is absolutely correct. These guys are trying real hard to convince themselves that the C7 isn't as good as their C6s. Most of us go through this rationalization at some points in our lives, even when it comes to women.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:04 AM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Do give some the benefit of the doubt. Some just like the c6 better because they don't like the c7 looks. There were a ton of people on here that don't like the tail lights, thing the rear is too busy, etc, etc.

But most, I would agree, I would imagine are trying to justify their C6s.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:07 AM
James1906
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I attended my corvette club meeting earlier this month. Everyone loved my C7, Z51 Convertible. Some of the taller guys (6',2'' and up) were more concerned about fitting into it. Aside from that, nothing but love.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:08 AM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

Some people will actually not like it, some need time to adjust to ANY new design before they love it but many will be justifying why they own what they own. Those same people will deny this vehemently

I had a C6 owner telling me what he didn't like about the C7 (which I would never do to someone else and their car) at wash bay recently... after about 10 minutes, he finally told me he actually liked the car but would never likely be able to get one. He was actually a nice guy and passed the criticism off as a big joke afterwards based on him wishing he could have one. I kind of thought that was weird and a bit rude but brushed it off. He had a beautiful C6 and should be proud and happy with what he had regardless as to whether there is something new available.

I find most everyone who sees the car loves it but especially younger guys and those who have never owned a Corvette. Some Corvette owners are a little stuck in history and a bit resistant to change. Having said that most are not like that and many are huge Stingray fans and either are getting one, really hope to soon or are not getting one but aren't the jealous type and happy for a fellow enthusiast.

Last edited by gthal; 04-13-2014 at 09:03 AM.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:12 AM
01VETTECOP
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

I love my C6, but love the C7 too !

I'm just not ready to buy a non discounted C7 yet !
Old 04-13-2014, 08:13 AM
C8Jake
Race Director

Received 5,416 Likes on 2,535 Posts

C6 = old news
Old 04-13-2014, 08:21 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Latest and greatest for me. Affordability, base C7 at low to mid 50's, is really not a bad price (trouble is, everyone elects options that drive the price into the stratosphere).
Old 04-13-2014, 08:27 AM
Waytofastvette2006
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was a c6 owner that would put down the c6

Not the case with the c7 about 10000x improved
Old 04-13-2014, 08:33 AM
6spdg37s
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

Some people take time to adjust to a new car design... There are many cars I hated initially and have now fallen in love with... former c6z owner, current c5z owner, also have c7 z51 on order
Old 04-13-2014, 08:48 AM
Harry2
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 403 Likes on 222 Posts

I have owned three C6's including my current 2010 TR GS vert, when I watched the 01.13.2013 C7 release it was love at first sight. Sure there are some minor things about the C7 that I prefer were different, but the total package rocks in my book. I have had a C7 Z51 vert on order for a long time, could have picked up a non Z51 multiple times but am holding out for what I really want.
For those that do not "like" the C7, there are plenty of C6's around, or, wait seven years for the C8 to arrive!
Old 04-13-2014, 08:58 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by 6spdg37s
Some people take time to adjust to a new car design... There are many cars I hated initially and have now fallen in love with... former c6z owner, current c5z owner, also have c7 z51 on order
I agree.

I think it is not so much about people being jealous, as it is Corvette enthusiasts and car enthusiast simply stating an opinion. When you have people who have either owned a variety of generations, been fans for more than a few years, or are car enthusiasts in general, I don't think it's terribly wrong to point out the things you like and don't like about a particular generation, in a normal conversation. While the opinion is a personal one, the owner of said car should not take it personally. It's just Corvette talk, nothing more, nothing less, not a personal attack. (of course, there are certain ways of expressing such opinions so as not to insult the owner of said car. It is a social grace, that some may not be well tuned to.)

This generation has been a long time in the making. There was a lot of speculation, and anticipation. I bet many held off getting a new Vette for a few years in this anticipation. Then found they didn't care for the new design, and were deeply disappointed. However, I also bet that as the Stingray becomes more commonplace, they will begin to focus on the things they like about the car and warm up to it.

Last edited by lt4obsesses; 04-13-2014 at 09:02 AM.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:09 AM
Jp23rockstar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gthal
Some people will actually not like it, some need time to adjust to ANY new design before they love it but many will be justifying why they own what they own. Those same people will deny this vehemently

I had a C6 owner telling me what he didn't like about the C7 (which I would never do to someone else and their car) at wash bay recently... after about 10 minutes, he finally told me he actually liked the car but would never likely be able to get one. He was actually a nice guy and passed the criticism off as a big joke afterwards based on him wishing he could have one. I kind of thought that was weird and a bit rude but brushed it off. He had a beautiful C6 and should be proud and happy with what he had regardless as to whether there is something new available.

I find most everyone who sees the car loves it but especially younger guys and those who have never owned a Corvette. Some Corvette owners are a little stuck in history and a bit resistant to change. Having said that most are not like that and many are huge Stingray fans and either are getting one, really hope to soon or are not getting one but aren't the jealous type and happy for a fellow enthusiast.
I agree with what you said. However, how is it with the females? I know you're married but wanted to know if women actually like this car. It seems that mostly men buy this car, and buy it (90% men). Your opinions, on why more women don't buy this car.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:20 AM
6spdg37s
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses
I agree.

I think it is not so much about people being jealous, as it is Corvette enthusiasts and car enthusiast simply stating an opinion. When you have people who have either owned a variety of generations, been fans for more than a few years, or are car enthusiasts in general, I don't think it's terribly wrong to point out the things you like and don't like about a particular generation, in a normal conversation. While the opinion is a personal one, the owner of said car should not take it personally. It's just Corvette talk, nothing more, nothing less, not a personal attack. (of course, there are certain ways of expressing such opinions so as not to insult the owner of said car. It is a social grace, that some may not be well tuned to.)

This generation has been a long time in the making. There was a lot of speculation, and anticipation. I bet many held off getting a new Vette for a few years in this anticipation. Then found they didn't care for the new design, and were deeply disappointed. However, I also bet that as the Stingray becomes more commonplace, they will begin to focus on the things they like about the car and warm up to it.
I love all cars, trucks , bikes etc; I dont like late c3s or any c4s but thats my opinion... some people do love c4s , im not jealous I don't have one I just am not crazy about them. I do however respect a clean well kept , c4. just like I am a GM guy but I still respect and will compliment a nice mopar or even an import.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:24 AM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is comical is that most if not all that own a C6 can easily afford a C7, so if they say they don't like it take them for their word and move on!

Get notified of new replies

To Has anyone experienced their C6 are always putting down your C7?

Old 04-13-2014, 09:26 AM
tuboy19
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I legitimately did not like the looks of the car initially and liked the look of my C6 better. However after seeing the car in person versus just in pictures that has changed. I love both cars and will probably end up with a C7. I feel like the C7 fits the mold much better for GM's "rocket ship" commercial than the ZR-1 did as well, the C7 is more showy than the C6 was.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:26 AM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by Jp23rockstar
I agree with what you said. However, how is it with the females? I know you're married but wanted to know if women actually like this car. It seems that mostly men buy this car, and buy it (90% men). Your opinions, on why more women don't buy this car.
I've actually had a LOT of positive responses from female friends and colleagues.

IMO only, I think most women aren't interested in 2 seat sports cars or, if they are, it's a MB roadster, Porsche Boxster or something like that. That is, obviously, a generalization and there are some who would not fit this description but a lot of women (except some here) aren't into big torque and power and an impractical 2 seat design. I don't think it has anything to do with the C7 but rather is a gender/demographic thing.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:36 AM
Jp23rockstar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gthal
I've actually had a LOT of positive responses from female friends and colleagues.

IMO only, I think most women aren't interested in 2 seat sports cars or, if they are, it's a MB roadster, Porsche Boxster or something like that. That is, obviously, a generalization and there are some who would not fit this description but a lot of women (except some here) aren't into big torque and power and an impractical 2 seat design. I don't think it has anything to do with the C7 but rather is a gender/demographic thing.
They can't handle the power jk, but most likely comments are "where are we going to fit the kids, honey where can I put the groceries, where can I put my handbag, why can't I see out the back, why is this car so fast? The list just goes on. And those other cars you mentioned maybe cause it shows as a status symbol and plus they are much slower and less on power and torque, and finally not as sick (mean) looking as the Stingray. But all you have to tell them it's an American icon (Stingray) and they'll look at you like you have two heads haha. Women have to start buying American cars like the Stingray instead of the big soccer mom SUV's they're accustomed to buying. Kids would rather be driving to school in dad's Stingray than mom's boring SUV lol.

Quick Reply: Has anyone experienced their C6 are always putting down your C7?