Sponsored by:

Heated seats - not very heated?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 08:50 AM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

Default Heated seats - not very heated?

My main motivation with going with a 2LT was the heated seats. I could have put in the other bits to make the color scheme match but heated seats were not something we wanted to live without.

Before anyone says it, yes you can do aftermarket but I like the factory switch gear and integration.

That being said the heated seats are terrible. The seats in our '14 GC get pretty toasty and in my '12 GS they get hot.

These do not even seem to get warm, even on high. The cooled part works fine but does anyone else think the heated seat performance is subpar?
Old 04-12-2014, 09:01 AM
teejake
Lifetime Supporting Gold
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by NoOne
My main motivation with going with a 2LT was the heated seats. I could have put in the other bits to make the color scheme match but heated seats were not something we wanted to live without.

Before anyone says it, yes you can do aftermarket but I like the factory switch gear and integration.

That being said the heated seats are terrible. The seats in our '14 GC get pretty toasty and in my '12 GS they get hot.

These do not even seem to get warm, even on high. The cooled part works fine but does anyone else think the heated seat performance is subpar?

Very subpar, really my only disappointment with the car so far. Having driven the car across country I did have them on long enough that they were warm enough to require being turned down but it took a long time. My wish list for them aside from working well includes being able to heat just the seat back or the back and bottom together like my truck does.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:12 AM
Kyflyer
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 66 Posts

We have the same problem. We talked to the dealer the last time we took the car in and he advised us they would strip the seats take a look at it and repair as necessary. We are not really sure that we want to do that though. The cooling works great and we love this car!
Old 04-12-2014, 09:37 AM
2vette2
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 413 Likes on 189 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Same problem here. Car was "reflashed" for four different items. Dealer said that C7 does not get has hot as the C6, however, since the reflash, my wife says they do get warmer but still not like our previous C6.
Old 04-12-2014, 10:03 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyflyer
We have the same problem. We talked to the dealer the last time we took the car in and he advised us they would strip the seats take a look at it and repair as necessary. We are not really sure that we want to do that though. The cooling works great and we love this car!
I another post someone mentioned that the reason for poorer performance of the heating was the cooling system! I recalled and reviewed this video where they dissected the C7 and C6 seats.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bYg...vette_info.htm
About ½ way thru you’ll see what they call the special mesh that attaches to the leather. That is what makes the cooling work. It is quite thick, perhaps ½ inch from the appearance. From the pictures, the heating strips are below it and it would take time for the heat to be felt, which it does. However I find it finally gets hot enough to require reducing the setting. I sure would not let a dealer take the seat apart!

Last edited by JerryU; 04-12-2014 at 10:05 AM.
Old 04-12-2014, 10:29 AM
Kyflyer
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 66 Posts

I have seen this video before, but had forgotten it. However, our seats never really get warm. We travelled to the NCM in March which is a 2+ hour drive, and had the seats on the entire trip and every time the seat bars dropped down a notch we reset them to maximum. They never achieved more than lukewarm temperatures at best. We are taking a short trip later this spring and we will most likely leave the car with the dealer to have enough to really try and remedy the issue.
Old 04-12-2014, 10:42 AM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
I another post someone mentioned that the reason for poorer performance of the heating was the cooling system! I recalled and reviewed this video where they dissected the C7 and C6 seats.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bYg...vette_info.htm
About ½ way thru you’ll see what they call the special mesh that attaches to the leather. That is what makes the cooling work. It is quite thick, perhaps ½ inch from the appearance. From the pictures, the heating strips are below it and it would take time for the heat to be felt, which it does. However I find it finally gets hot enough to require reducing the setting. I sure would not let a dealer take the seat apart!
Yup. Unlike the C6, the C7 has cooling in the seats. The C7's heating elements are different than those in the C6 as the C7's heating elements have to allow air to flow through them where as the C6's heating element is more like a mat. My seats do heat find but they don't get uncomfortably hot like my C6 did and they do take longer to come up to temperature.
Old 04-12-2014, 11:09 AM
teejake
Lifetime Supporting Gold
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

I know GM can out in seats that cool and heat well, they do in my GMC pickup. Personally I wouldn't have the dealer take the seats apart.
Old 04-12-2014, 11:15 AM
DocHolliday
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Like others, I've said the same thing. If you leave them on long enough they do eventually get fairly warm, but not near the level of heat other heated seats I have had get to. There was a post once where a guy actually used a heat sensing "gun" and showed the temps at various times after turning the heat on...anyone remember that post?
Old 04-12-2014, 01:07 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyflyer
I have seen this video before, but had forgotten it. However, our seats never really get warm. We travelled to the NCM in March which is a 2+ hour drive, and had the seats on the entire trip and every time the seat bars dropped down a notch we reset them to maximum. They never achieved more than lukewarm temperatures at best. We are taking a short trip later this spring and we will most likely leave the car with the dealer to have enough to really try and remedy the issue.
They can at least check to see if they are getting the proper power without taking them apart!

Last edited by JerryU; 04-12-2014 at 11:17 PM.
Old 04-12-2014, 01:40 PM
C7 4 Me
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed with all here, they sure take plenty of time before they become even close to what you'd call "hot" (like 35 minutes long)
Old 04-12-2014, 02:15 PM
Shortimer
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I used the heated seat a week ago and didn't notice a problem. Seat got warm fairly quickly. My Stingray was built on Feb. 11th.
Old 04-12-2014, 02:21 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

My daily driver (Acura TL Type S) has the same issues. I always start by turning it on high first. Then, once it gets warm, I back off on the temp.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:38 PM
TLC5 In CT.
Advanced

My 2012 GMC Acadia has heated and cooled seats and they work great. However, I will say that they do not get hot nearly as fast as my wife's 05 Malibu which has only heated seats. Those seats get hot in less than a couple of minutes.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:41 PM
Mr Snappy!
Melting Slicks

Received 589 Likes on 162 Posts

Agreed.
The C7 heated seats are horrible.
Old 04-12-2014, 11:50 PM
Fastdart69
Instructor

Good thing I didn't buy it for the heated seats!
Old 04-13-2014, 12:35 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Goldilocks went into the bears' garage and said "this C5's seats are too cold!" She sat in the C6, and said "These seats are too hot!." Then she sat in the C7 and said "These seats are JUST RIGHT!"

lisa

Get notified of new replies

To Heated seats - not very heated?

Old 04-13-2014, 12:37 AM
BERETTA
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Like others, I've said the same thing. If you leave them on long enough they do eventually get fairly warm, but not near the level of heat other heated seats I have had get to. There was a post once where a guy actually used a heat sensing "gun" and showed the temps at various times after turning the heat on...anyone remember that post?
I think you may be referring to my post here?

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...olution-2.html
Old 04-13-2014, 12:39 AM
BERETTA
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by owc6
Goldilocks went into the bears' garage and said "this C5's seats are too cold!" She sat in the C6, and said "These seats are too hot!." Then she sat in the C7 and said "These seats are JUST RIGHT!"

lisa
Old 04-13-2014, 01:59 AM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Just wear thicker panties, problem solved Nancy.

Quick Reply: Heated seats - not very heated?