Sponsored by:

I don't need a toy

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 08:19 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Originally Posted by mksz51
Some truth and lots of misconceptions in this thread. I'm a pharmacist who has worked with pediatric oncology / BMT for over 20 years with MANY physician friends (and a few that I've burned a bridge with but that was by choice). A few thoughts:

1. We all like Corvettes but it's not everyone's thing. Docs are no different. How many of you have a spouse / significant other that are JUST as into the vehicle as you are (vs. being supportive of your wishes, merely tolerant, or opposed to it). Some docs are really into vehicles - others aren't.

2. Of ALL the medical specialties pediatricians are on the lowest end of the food chain regarding pay (especially in an academic environment). Most pediatricians are not making BIG money so thinking a pediatrician is LOADED is wrong.

3. Physicians in private practice (including pediatricians) work their *** off every day seeing patients. When you go to a doctor's office how much actual "face time" do you have with the doc vs. a nurse, physician's assistant, or some other allied health professional? The doc is almost ALWAYS the least amount of time. What the doc IS doing is seeing patient after patient and running from room to room and then documenting all of those activities. It is NOT an enviable lifestyle!

4. Debt - many docs DO have $250K - $500K in school loan debt and it takes a long time to dig out of that. If they are early in their career with a lower salary (pediatrician) driving a $65k+ car just isn't a priority to them.

5. You should value your doc based on their clinical skills. People skills are good but when you need something assessed or treated you should want the best clinician.

6. Some on this forum have biases against certain individuals based on occupation, education, religious preference, political preference, etc. etc. Making broad generalizations about any group (especially if you have no facts) is dangerous and likely to protray the REAL problem.

Ahhh - deep cleansing rant - I feel great.
Spot on. Pediatricians are unquestionably at the lowest end of the income scale, many in non metro areas don't come near 6 figures net. The young guys coming out of residency training are saddled with insane debt that some will never be able to pay back. Insurance cutbacks etc have reduced the average doctors income by at least 50% over the past 10 years. The Pediatrician mentioned above is very unlikely to be able to afford a 70 thousand dollar toy unless he is at least 50 and never supported anyone but himself.

I do agree with many of the posters here about Pediatricians usually being dicks.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:21 PM
sabbie43
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

All I know is everyone loves this car! Even my wife who wasn't completely on board said last night, "let's take the Vette out for Ice cream".

So I saw an opportunity and said "lets have sex in the C7".

Needless to say we only had Ice cream. Dam C7!
Old 04-09-2014, 08:27 PM
jwbert
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I would tell him in the immortal words of Adrian Kronauer (sp) from
Good Morning Vietnam "You look like a man who is desperately in need of a bj"
Old 04-09-2014, 09:00 PM
14 Red Z51 Vette
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Stinger1
My wife took my son to his Pediatrician(who is also a neighbor/acquaintance). My son told the doc very excitedly "my dad got a corvette" and my wife followed with "I suppose your next" smiling and joking as to make small talk. His response was "I dont need a toy"

My wife tells me it was like a slam against ME

Of course I wasn't there so I couldn't respond. Anybody else have this happen? Any suggestions if I run across this in the future?

BTW-I love my C7. I have never had a car with so much power.
I would take my business elsewhere and tell him you don't need a jerk wad for a pediatrician.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:53 PM
Foxer55
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

It must suck to be your doc.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:56 PM
Mdbrown9
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts

There are a lot of docs on here! Cool!

I'm a surgeon as well. The "toy" comment?......not the best choice of words - doubt that line would have been uttered if Dad had been in the room

But......thank God for Pediatricians.

Speak up - I know there are pediatric C7 owners reading this
Old 04-10-2014, 12:13 AM
jr3
Safety Car

Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by arcticblast
I do need a toy.
He who dies with the most toys WINS.

Originally Posted by jwbert
I would tell him in the immortal words of Adrian Kronauer (sp) from Good Morning Vietnam "You look like a man who is desperately in need of a bj"

But,.. should also keep in mind a wife could have taken it the wrong way... Lord knows that can happen.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:21 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,191 Likes on 2,681 Posts

Originally Posted by Mdbrown9
There are a lot of docs on here! Cool!

I'm a surgeon as well. The "toy" comment?......not the best choice of words - doubt that line would have been uttered if Dad had been in the room

But......thank God for Pediatricians.

Speak up - I know there are pediatric C7 owners reading this
Geriatric owners, too!

lisa
Old 04-10-2014, 04:56 AM
Tonyman262
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My wife took my son to his Pediatrician(who is also a neighbor/acquaintance). My son told the doc very excitedly "my dad got a corvette" and my wife followed with "I suppose your next" smiling and joking as to make small talk. His response was "I dont need a toy"

Of course I wasn't there so I couldn't respond. Anybody else have this happen? Any suggestions if I run across this in the future?

Just tell him you didn't need a toy either.
That's way you bought a Corvette instead of a Porsche or a Ferrari.
Old 04-10-2014, 05:42 AM
cborgrx
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My standard answer to most people, especially the smart alec types is " life is too short to drive a boring car"
Old 04-10-2014, 08:55 AM
ingog
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very many cars, other than the best milage cars, have speed and/or handling and/or sport related gizmos on them. At what point do they become a toy. My Vette has many more features then I'll ever use. Does the housewife really need the 4 wheel drive Range Rover? The largest bump she'll ever go over is the school speed bump. Do BMW drivers really need brakes that won't fail after 10 consecutive 100mph emergency stops? Some drivers want practical cars. Others have hobbies and vivid imagination. Every time that garage door opens and I see my Vette, my heart beat increases. It hit me in the 1950's and I still feel it today. So shoot me.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:39 AM
RBLUVETT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

His wife told he didn't need a toy, but she needed that new diamond necklace.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:09 PM
fenn55
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He probably drives a Prius
Old 04-10-2014, 12:10 PM
VIK TOY
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by F4Topgun
HummelS..Well said!
"I don't need a toy. I do need a daily-driver that puts a smile on my face every time I fire it up."

I love my toy. I drive it everyday and it puts a smile on my face. Not everyone can say that.
I have had Vettes off and on since I was 21 and they are my favorite car. My C5Z is my DD and I love driving it and always ask to go along when Ken goes somewhere so I can have fun in his C7 also!!!
Our only other vehicle is a beat up 4x4 truck for junk and rock hauling!!!
Old 04-10-2014, 07:32 PM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

Some people are car people and many are not.
For many of middle age, a Corvette is a toy that is used on weekends, not a true means of transportation - especially in the snow belt.
I have lots of friends who could easily afford a C7, and chose not to buy one because they aren't car people - they'd rather have a Range Rover, Jeep GC SRT, BMW X6M or Cayenne as a daily driver and not deal with a weekend car.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:35 PM
y2krtaf
Racer

Some people view cars as appliances.
Thats why they buy those crap box asian imports.....

They have no sole!

Long Live Life and enjoyment!
Old 04-10-2014, 08:49 PM
TopBeer
Racer

Received 80 Likes on 39 Posts

Strange enough, my doctor today said something very similar. I was in for my yearly and he asked what I have been up to lately as he looked out the window of the exam room looking at my car. Told him I just bought the car he was staring at, he gets kind of stiff and says, "I don't need a toy, I need a vehicle that can carry 3 kids." His tone even seemed judgmental, seemed like he was saying he was a more responsible person.

I just told him, "with one kid and three cars, I manage".

Get notified of new replies

To I don't need a toy

Old 04-10-2014, 09:18 PM
Jp23rockstar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LIStingray
For many of middle age, a Corvette is a toy that is used on weekends, not a true means of transportation - especially in the snow belt.
I have lots of friends who could easily afford a C7, and chose not to buy one because they aren't car people - they'd rather have a Range Rover, Jeep GC SRT, BMW X6M or Cayenne as a daily driver and not deal with a weekend car.
I think anyone buying those cars at least likes cars even if they're glorified SUV's. The Corvette is a precision tool to dominate the streets and race track. I prefer the latter but that's just me. When I'm driving I always see these huge SUV's and I only see one person and think to myself why not just buy the Stingray. Way better on gas mileage, looks better, much faster, better handling, the list just goes on about how great the Stingray really is. It's just that people see 2 doors and think not practical. Just my 2cents.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:36 PM
ingog
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LIStingray
If what you say was not the case EVERYONE would own a C7. Sauseech his own as we Italians in Brooklyn say.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:03 AM
Second Vette
Drifting

Received 642 Likes on 327 Posts

I reread your Post a few times to get a feel for what happened.

If the Dr. was just talking to your Wife, I would say his response was just an unthinking remark made during adult conversation.

The problem I have is that he made that remark in front of your Child who is obviously proud that his Father has such a cool Car that they both can enjoy, Father and Son. Your Wife took it as a diss, and in my old age I have realized that Women have a better sense about what is going on around them than most of us Dudes do.

Don't want to make a mountain out of a molehill, but it sounds like someone's people skills are lacking. His remark was unnecessary.

Quick Reply: I don't need a toy