Flogged the new C7 at Level 3 school at Spring Mountain in NV

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 06:46 PM
grandsport4me1963
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
Sounds like you have the perfect set-up at this point! I need to start looking at other options. For now, I'm enjoying NASA time trials. The ZR is surprisingly competitive with a couple tweaks for that format and the competition is fun.

So I'm trying to get a feel here...I've been to SM and taken the ZR1 course a couple years ago and have threatened to go back many times. In the meantime, I've recently purchased a home with a nice garage which will allow me to get a dedicated track car.

Are you saying you like to go drive others cars and walk away without the maintenance hassles or do you really enjoy tracking the ZR1 and taking care of the maintenance that pops up? Dollar for dollar which is better for you?
Old 04-14-2014, 12:38 AM
TKgs2010
Le Mans Master

Received 406 Likes on 273 Posts

I was petitioning for a Level 4 school with C7 Z06's. I'd go back for that.
I had a chance to talk to Ron Fellows a bit at Sebring last month, he said he's pretty sure they'll be getting some ZO6's once they become available, but wasn't sure when that may be. I'm seriously thinking of ordering one myself, once I get more info on pricing/options. They had a Shark Gray one at Sebring and it looked AWESOME. I'm hoping Spring Mountain will have them when I go back next time, I'll be keeping in touch for that.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:34 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by grandsport4me1963

So I'm trying to get a feel here...I've been to SM and taken the ZR1 course a couple years ago and have threatened to go back many times. In the meantime, I've recently purchased a home with a nice garage which will allow me to get a dedicated track car.

Are you saying you like to go drive others cars and walk away without the maintenance hassles or do you really enjoy tracking the ZR1 and taking care of the maintenance that pops up? Dollar for dollar which is better for you?
Dollar for dollar, I like tracking my ZR1. It's cheaper than going to SM for track driving and it's faster/more fun. That said, there is a convenience factor to being a gentleman racer and doing arrive/drive events. That said, you'll pay for it. If I had ten times the money, I'd have someone else maintain my race car and just show up and drive it and drive home in my DD, but I'm still too poor/cheap.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:45 AM
VatorMan
Team Owner

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06-'10-'11, '15

I've driven COTA, Texas World, Texas Motor, Eagles Canyon, and a few other great tracks, but Turn 2 on this 2.1 mile course is my new favorite corner of any track.

It is very fast and as you roll out of Turn 1 running all the way to the curbing, you straighten out and let the car drift outside on the wide first section, full throttle in 3rd gear, then you start to turn in just a little, you breathe off the gas for just a second as you hit a little dip, allowing the car to turn a little more towards the apex, and then you go full throttle again through 2 as the car starts pushing, pushing, pushing outside (don't lift unless you're a wimp and it's even more scary as you're going over a slight crest and you can't see the edge of the track until you hit the crest) and then you shift hard at redline into 4th and rocket up the hill into Turn 3 hitting about 118mph or so before very hard braking and a long, sweeping downhill through Turn 3. Just incredible.

The track map is good, but it doesn't show the significant elevation changes in a few sections. Really an incredible configuration.

Dude, they are still talking about your time at SM. I ran a 1:35 as my best. Great course and instructors. I think turn 3 is my favorite as it's the hardest turn. I did throw my iPhone in there and here you can see what he is describing-only he is MUCH faster.lol

Old 04-18-2014, 06:15 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Great vid and thanks for posting! Brought back some fun memories. Turn 3 is my second favorite corner on this track and the whole two days I was there, I still don't think I took that turn just right even once. For those watching the vid, it doesn't look very technical, but there are some deceptively tricky corners on this configuration, especially if you don't want to lose time.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:07 PM
leadville1
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Great stuff, I am so happy to hear from a track enthusiast their thoughts on this car. I bought it primarily for this reason. My home track is Road America, very high speed and very fast corners. I get my car May 11th, hoping I can drive it for GT Track days in June.

Sounds like brakes and a larger radiator will be necessary upgrades. So excited to get the car I can't wait.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:13 PM
VatorMan
Team Owner

CI 6-7-8 Veteran

Great vid and thanks for posting! Brought back some fun memories. Turn 3 is my second favorite corner on this track and the whole two days I was there, I still don't think I took that turn just right even once. For those watching the vid, it doesn't look very technical, but there are some deceptively tricky corners on this configuration, especially if you don't want to lose time.
I'm pretty sure I know where I left time on the table. Right now you are the goal everyone is looking at. Congrats for being awesome.
Old 04-19-2014, 12:59 AM
TKgs2010
Le Mans Master

Received 406 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by VatorMan
Dude, they are still talking about your time at SM. I ran a 1:35 as my best. Great course and instructors. I think turn 3 is my favorite as it's the hardest turn. I did throw my iPhone in there and here you can see what he is describing-only he is MUCH faster.lol

Spring Mountain flying lap - YouTube
That new course looks like a lot of fun, very technical. I was pretty quick on the 2.2 mile layout, does the new one have as much elevation change as the older course? Hard to tell elevation on the video, can't wait to get back there to try it out.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:37 AM
VatorMan
Team Owner

CI 6-7-8 Veteran

Originally Posted by TKgs2010
That new course looks like a lot of fun, very technical. I was pretty quick on the 2.2 mile layout, does the new one have as much elevation change as the older course? Hard to tell elevation on the video, can't wait to get back there to try it out.
Yes, there are some elevation changes. One of the great things about SM is the track walks and explanations. They took us to corners and had the instructors come by at speed so we could actually watch the car work. I will be going back next year using my C7 discount.

Old 04-19-2014, 09:40 AM
Cruiter
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
On order: Torch Red Z51
Default C7 owners school

Another club member and myself will be traveling there for the three day Owners School starting Sept 29. I attended a Bonderant school back in the 70's sponsored by Lincoln Mercury for the Pantera reps when that car came to the country. We spent nearly a week at Daytona using the high banks and the road course and I can still remember how much fun we had as well as how much we learned.

With all that this car has in development and technology since then I'm sure my mind will be spinning for months afterward . I wonder if I'll sleep on the Red Eye back to Atlanta the night of the 1st ?

The Owners school is two or three days. If anyone else has attended that one, please tell all about it. We're doing the three day course.
Old 04-19-2014, 12:54 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by VatorMan
I'm pretty sure I know where I left time on the table. Right now you are the goal everyone is looking at. Congrats for being awesome.
Thanks, I really want to go back. It's an adult version of what Disneyland was to me as a kid.

Quick Reply: Flogged the new C7 at Level 3 school at Spring Mountain in NV