Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flogged the new C7 at Level 3 school at Spring Mountain in NV

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 02:45 PM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Awesome report from a 6th generation owner who gives a great explanation of the overall improvement on the 7th generation Corvette from a track perspective.

We need to have more type of informative posts like this around here.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:01 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by PRE-Z06
Glad to hear your perspective, thanks for sharing and congrats on the record Corey
Thanks, Chris! It was a lot of fun to drive the C7 Z51. Just a little note for you track hot shoes. At least two of the fastest instructors liked sport mode with the slightly softer suspension compared to track mode with all stability and traction off.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:08 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Regarding the cooling you noticed. With the C6, the thermostat was 192 degrees and with the ZR1 the oil is cooled by the engine coolant, so the oil temp was around the same temp as the coolant. With the C7, it apparently has a 220 degree thermostat and has the same oil cooler as in the C6 ZR1, using the engine coolant to cool the oil.

Understandable why the coolant temp went to 240 degrees(since it normally runs at 220 degrees) when pushing the car on the track.
That makes sense. It did seem to settle around 220 coolant which is higher than the 195ish I see under normal conditions in my ZR1. Car ran great at the 240-250 coolant level and 280-290 oil temp. Meaning car was still pulling good at the end of the session.

Originally Posted by TTRotary
Great review for me, and, big props on your times! That is some damn fine driving.

A few questions: how did the tires hold up? Just curious as I drive my cars very hard, even on canyon runs. Also, living with the comp seats for a couple days, what is your assessment vs the stock seats, support and comfort wise? Finally, did you get any time in an auto-equipped car - just curious.

BTW, 280-300F Oil is what I'm used to seeing on the track - the key is for the pressure not to collapse around that point. How did the pressure readings look?
Thanks, TT. Long time no talk! Tires wore nicely but there was wear. The supersports are good tires and they should last a while under moderate driving conditions. I only sat in the comp seats and I'm 6'2" and 235lbs with a tall upper torso. I loved the comp seats and wouldn't order one without them IMO. Either way, anyone that buys a C7 should sit in both before deciding. I'd give up a little bit of comfort for better seat grip and stability.

Oil pressures were over 40psi under load even at higher oil temps, so all was well in that regard. No time in an auto equipped C7.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:48 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
Thanks, Chris! It was a lot of fun to drive the C7 Z51. Just a little note for you track hot shoes. At least two of the fastest instructors liked sport mode with the slightly softer suspension compared to track mode with all stability and traction off.
I've read this as well. I figured on a bumpy track like Sebring, that would hold true. But surprised that on a smooth track like SM the "S"port setting would be preferred.
Did you try "S"port or just run the car in PTM 5?
I'll have some interesting data this week. I'll be running both the GT500 and C7 at Daytona. It will be interesting to overlay data and see where each is faster.
S.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:06 PM
thatonedude1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've driven COTA, Texas World, Texas Motor, Eagles Canyon, and a few other great tracks, but Turn 2 on this 2.1 mile course is my new favorite corner of any track.

It is very fast and as you roll out of Turn 1 running all the way to the curbing, you straighten out and let the car drift outside on the wide first section, full throttle in 3rd gear, then you start to turn in just a little, you breathe off the gas for just a second as you hit a little dip, allowing the car to turn a little more towards the apex, and then you go full throttle again through 2 as the car starts pushing, pushing, pushing outside (don't lift unless you're a wimp and it's even more scary as you're going over a slight crest and you can't see the edge of the track until you hit the crest) and then you shift hard at redline into 4th and rocket up the hill into Turn 3 hitting about 118mph or so before very hard braking and a long, sweeping downhill through Turn 3. Just incredible.

The track map is good, but it doesn't show the significant elevation changes in a few sections. Really an incredible configuration.

I love this description, as it is told directly from memory. Makes you feel like you're in the car! I don't know the track, but from the looks of it at 2.1 miles, 1.31 seems pretty fast. Excellent post. Wish I had the dough to go there.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:24 PM
Varmit
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

This was my third time to Spring Mountain and I had an absolute blast as always. Facility is absolutely first-class, instructors are very friendly and fun, and this was my first experience with the new C7 Z51 and lucky me to be able to flog it for 2 days on an incredible 2.1 mile course.

For the record, I track a lightly modded (seats, harnesses, bushings, Finspeed wheels/slicks) C6 ZR1, so I am quite comfortable with fast track driving. The C7 Z51 has better turn-in, more stability under power and seems to stick to the track better (better tires notwithstanding). Part of this may have to do with the 173hp power difference between the LT1 and the LS9, but the LT1 was a very vocal and enjoyable engine.

I drove the C7 in Track Mode PTM 5 for the most part due to my experience level and it was a joy. One of my favorite new features is the active rev match. Completely awesome for track work and just removes extra hassle of heel/toe downshifting, so you can focus more on driving faster. I can heel/toe, but the ARM makes it a no brainer with PERFECT rev matching each downshift AND upshift.

Car is very balanced, the rev limiter is ultra-soft (i.e. it just kind of stops at the rev limiter and you really don't hear the usual brap/brap/brap sound, very nice). The color HUD with the light sequence as you get close to redline going to 5 blue dots at redline is just awesome. Love it.

Overall, the car is better than my ZR1 except in three areas: brakes, tires, and power most notably. That said, for less than $60k with comp seats (awesome and very comfortable even for my 6'2" 235lb frame) and Z51, I can't think of a more capable and enjoyable track car on the market, that just so happens to be 100% comfortable and smooth in around town driving with cooled/heated seats and about 100 electronic gizmos to play with whenever you aren't being entertained by the awesome sounding LT1 and active rev match downshifting. Car feels extremely solid and well made. We effectively had no issues between the 11 drivers in our class with all the cars.

I went with a buddy (Andi B.) and he did get a coolant warning, but that was because he was drafting right behind me during a very hard track session for a few laps and I don't think he was getting enough air through the radiator. That said, we did see pretty high oil temps (280+F range) and coolant temps (240+F range) which was a little disappointing in 60F ambient temperature. Andi and I aren't exactly normal track drivers (i.e. we REALLY push cars), but I was hoping for more robust cooling systems. I personally didn't get any warnings and the car was running fine and pulling hard every session, so the LT1 and the rest of the car didn't seem fazed. So, maybe it's a non-issue at those temps???

Here's a quick accel run on the front straight with pretty high temps already. Seemed to pull fine:
C7 Stingray acceleration - YouTube

All in all, a complete blast. As a topper to the wonderful two day school, I was able to break the Level 3 student track record just as I did last year breaking the Level 2 student track record. My buddy kept me on my toes big time. The previous record was a 1:32.x set by a German driving school owner a while back and my buddy busted that on the first transponder session with a 1:31.1. On the 3rd and final transponder session, I clipped him BARELY with a 1:31.0 on the 2.1 course breaking Andi's two hour old record. hehe.

Corvettes are just incredible cars and Spring Mountain is an incredible school with awesome instructors and unreal facilities and track configurations. Thanks again to everyone there for making it another very enjoyable experience.

See below for more pictures.

Glad to see that Rickie Bobbie is still there, really enjoy that guy's instruction
Old 04-09-2014, 03:57 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Snorman
I've read this as well. I figured on a bumpy track like Sebring, that would hold true. But surprised that on a smooth track like SM the "S"port setting would be preferred.
Did you try "S"port or just run the car in PTM 5?
I'll have some interesting data this week. I'll be running both the GT500 and C7 at Daytona. It will be interesting to overlay data and see where each is faster.
S.
For my fast laps, I only ran in PTM 5, but both Rick and another instructor liked sport with everything off. Obviously, that is not permitted for the students, but for your own car and if you're a good track driver with a lot of experience, try sport with all stability and TC off. Apparently, it's the trick for top drivers to get the most out of the car, at least based on preliminary info.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:05 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice review... those temps seem very high to me, but maybe the car is more comfortable there with direct injection? My C5 race car stays < 220 coolant unless I'm on someone's bumper in a summer race and oil temps stay below 260.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:40 AM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by travisnd
Nice review... those temps seem very high to me, but maybe the car is more comfortable there with direct injection? My C5 race car stays < 220 coolant unless I'm on someone's bumper in a summer race and oil temps stay below 260.
My ZR1 will feel a little more sluggish as coolant temps climb above 240F as the computers pull timing/add fuel, etc. to protect the engine. The LT1 at those temps didn't seem nearly as affected.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:00 AM
LawyerJoe
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how was the castle? Is it still there?
Old 04-10-2014, 01:33 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Received 2,054 Likes on 1,306 Posts

My ZR1 will feel a little more sluggish as coolant temps climb above 240F as the computers pull timing/add fuel, etc. to protect the engine. The LT1 at those temps didn't seem nearly as affected.
The direct injection being more precise probably has to do with that even though it's NA, will be interesting to see if that's the case with the C7Z as well being FI.
Old 04-10-2014, 01:34 PM
TTRotary
Race Director

Received 404 Likes on 160 Posts

Tires wore nicely but there was wear. The supersports are good tires and they should last a while under moderate driving conditions. I only sat in the comp seats and I'm 6'2" and 235lbs with a tall upper torso. I loved the comp seats and wouldn't order one without them IMO. Either way, anyone that buys a C7 should sit in both before deciding. I'd give up a little bit of comfort for better seat grip and stability. Oil pressures were over 40psi under load even at higher oil temps, so all was well in that regard. No time in an auto equipped C7.
Good to know. Thanks Corey.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:55 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Good to know. Thanks Corey.
Do you have a C7 yet or are you planning on getting one?
Old 04-11-2014, 03:38 PM
TTRotary
Race Director

Plan is to get a C7 Z06 whenever I can get my mitts on one. I want to try that new auto tranny before I buy though. I am convinced that will be the ticket for street performance. So I'll be at Spring Mtn. to drive one as soon as they come in.

The new car will probably not go to the track. I have gotten lazy and prefer arrive-and-drive arrangements these days...
Old 04-11-2014, 04:33 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by LawyerJoe
how was the castle? Is it still there?
Huh? Are you talking about that wood structure at the entrance? If so, I have no idea what it is or what it's supposed to do. Looks like a watch tower or something. If that's what you're talking about, it's still there.
Old 04-11-2014, 04:36 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by PRE-Z06
The direct injection being more precise probably has to do with that even though it's NA, will be interesting to see if that's the case with the C7Z as well being FI.
Yep, it appears DI helps quite a bit in many different areas. The C7 Z51 is awesome, but I was imagining it with another 170hp or so, with bigger brakes and tires and that brought a big smile to my face. The C7Z is going to be a beast.

Plan is to get a C7 Z06 whenever I can get my mitts on one. I want to try that new auto tranny before I buy though. I am convinced that will be the ticket for street performance. So I'll be at Spring Mtn. to drive one as soon as they come in.

The new car will probably not go to the track. I have gotten lazy and prefer arrive-and-drive arrangements these days...
haha, I'm been thinking about this more too. As expensive as arrive and drive is, I think it's cheaper than were I to continue to purchase and heavily track cars like my C6 ZR1. I really don't want to and don't plan to add up my total cost for the past 3+ years of tracking it, including depreciation though upper 5 figures probably is pretty realistic and I don't even want to think about it anymore. That's a lot of money for arrive and drive events. Not to mention, not having to deal with the hassle of constantly swapping brake pads, tires, and other odds and ends as well as hauling the car to track events, etc. It's a lot of fun and I really enjoy it, but it's a lot of work too.

Last edited by QUIKAG; 04-11-2014 at 04:39 PM.
Old 04-11-2014, 04:50 PM
TTRotary
Race Director

I really don't want to and don't plan to add up my total cost for the past 3+ years of tracking it, including depreciation though upper 5 figures probably is pretty realistic and I don't even want to think about it anymore. That's a lot of money for arrive and drive events. Not to mention, not having to deal with the hassle of constantly swapping brake pads, tires, and other odds and ends as well as hauling the car to track events, etc. It's a lot of fun and I really enjoy it, but it's a lot of work too.
I got to that point a few years ago tracking the C6. I just got tired of all the grease-monkeying. Went out and bought a used Radical SR3 that I kept up in Pahrump. Still have it but don't get up there that much due to other hobbies (RC and full scale flying) and work.

Down in SoCal, I started Karting, loved it, and bought a Birel shifter Kart. What a revelation. Overhaul the motor every 10hours, etc etc. I sold it, and signed on to the track's arrive and drive program. Revelation #2: this is awesome. I have done some Formula events with Russel and it is also great. As you say, when you add up all the costs of a modified street car, even a cheap one, arrive and drive doesn't look bad at all.

ALl that said, I still have my track-modded C6 Coupe and I love to take it to the mountains for a "spirited" drive ( ) when time permits.

Get notified of new replies

To Flogged the new C7 at Level 3 school at Spring Mountain in NV

Old 04-12-2014, 08:24 AM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Sounds like you have the perfect set-up at this point! I need to start looking at other options. For now, I'm enjoying NASA time trials. The ZR is surprisingly competitive with a couple tweaks for that format and the competition is fun.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:50 AM
LawyerJoe
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Huh? Are you talking about that wood structure at the entrance? If so, I have no idea what it is or what it's supposed to do. Looks like a watch tower or something. If that's what you're talking about, it's still there.
down the road, in the middle of Phrump... If you saw it, you'd know. It might be gone by now, but is was a dingy strip club. (so I was told...) Looked like a castle.
Old 04-12-2014, 04:15 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by LawyerJoe
down the road, in the middle of Phrump... If you saw it, you'd know. It might be gone by now, but is was a dingy strip club. (so I was told...) Looked like a castle.
Oh, yes! It's still there but I wouldn't personally go within 100ft of that place. It looks like a strip club that has airborne std's flying around. Screw that. You catch something just walking in that place.

Quick Reply: Flogged the new C7 at Level 3 school at Spring Mountain in NV