One more factory tour comment

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 09:42 AM
teejake
Lifetime Supporting Gold
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

Default One more factory tour comment

One important comment I want to add about the factory tour. The people working the line (a lot of women work there, more than I guess I expected) were friendly smiling and or waving when we walked by depending on what they were doing at the time. When we returned to the factory for some photo opportunities with the car we wrapped up about the time their shift was over ( they worked a 9 hour day Friday) and one guy stopped to put the post back up for me that blocks the drive to the factory entrance so that I wouldn't have to get out. He made a point if shaking my hand and when I thanked him for being a part of building my car he said no, thank you, I have two kids in college and really appreciate you choosing to buy a Corvette. I'm sure there are examples of worker's without pride in what they do or appreciation for the customer but I left feeling like the people at the Corvette plant take pride in their work.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:44 AM
ATX-C7
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

They certainly seem friendly. Union wages are good and they are building a fun car--who wouldn't be happy

Need some pics now that it's home--albeit the weather today is probably not going to be best.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:17 AM
teejake
Lifetime Supporting Gold
Support Corvetteforum!

Guess I wasn't awake, "tour" comment as opposed to "your". Oh well. ATX, my plan was to take some good photos today of her along with my 65, doesn't look likely. We got hammered with heavy rain early this morning and forecast is for rain throughout the day. Heavy travel week for me through Saturday so I may not get to take good photos before next Sunday.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:38 AM
ATX-C7
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by teejake
Guess I wasn't awake, "tour" comment as opposed to "your". Oh well. ATX, my plan was to take some good photos today of her along with my 65, doesn't look likely. We got hammered with heavy rain early this morning and forecast is for rain throughout the day. Heavy travel week for me through Saturday so I may not get to take good photos before next Sunday.
Yep flying to ATL today and doesn't look good. Look forward to pics next weekend and first week thoughts
Old 04-06-2014, 11:02 AM
stevebz06
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 205 Posts

There is nothing like a bankruptcy to change the attitude of a workforce. I don't remember being greeted like this when I toured prior to the filing. I've also noticed the same effect with cabin crews for airlines who are struggling to remain afloat.
Old 04-06-2014, 12:16 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by stevebz06
There is nothing like a bankruptcy to change the attitude of a workforce. I don't remember being greeted like this when I toured prior to the filing. I've also noticed the same effect with cabin crews for airlines who are struggling to remain afloat.
We did the tour during the 2009 NCC and not only were they friendly and thankful (many employees did shake our hands and thank us for buying Vettes), they actually decided to open the plant on Labor Day so more NCC participants could do the tour

Sure, they made double time but still......
Old 04-06-2014, 01:15 PM
scott53
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

In September 2011 we did the VIP Tour, and had the same experience with the line workers. They are friendly, enthusiastic, and it was readily apparent that they took great pride in building the best Corvettes possible. My hat is off to them all. To any of you reading this, thank you for all that you do for Corvette owners!
Old 04-06-2014, 04:41 PM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by scott53
In September 2011 we did the VIP Tour, and had the same experience with the line workers. They are friendly, enthusiastic, and it was readily apparent that they took great pride in building the best Corvettes possible. My hat is off to them all. To any of you reading this, thank you for all that you do for Corvette owners!
I took the tour with my kids back in the days of the C5, and the workers were just as positive and friendly then.

Old 04-06-2014, 10:05 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,125 Likes on 6,194 Posts

Originally Posted by teejake
Guess I wasn't awake, "tour" comment as opposed to "your". ...
I fixed it for you.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:10 PM
K7baixo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As I understand it, the factory, in past years, was running way below capacity and wasn't profitable. Now, increased volume means more job security. I'd be happy also given that.

I'm happy for them. When I did steel and paper mill startups, the happiest days were when we first made product. Can you imagine seeing *your* efforts rolling out the door every day? It's got to be an awesome feeling of pride.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:12 PM
Scottys78
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I can't wait. I'm going May 9th for my factory tour and take delivery of my C7
Old 04-06-2014, 10:19 PM
teejake
Lifetime Supporting Gold
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
I fixed it for you.