Sponsored by:

Unreal, rear ended by an 88 year old!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 06:15 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Swath
Because this is CANADA and GM screwed us.

Illegally imported US used Z51's are advertised for as much as $90K right now.

Here is an example and mine has more options!!!!
Imported 2014 C7's will be very common in a few months in Canada. The dealers will get them cheap at auction in the US and bring to Canada to sell for a tidy profit. They did it with the C6 and will do so with the C7. Anybody paying 10K over sticker in Canada for a C7 is a fool.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:16 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 4,011 Likes on 1,690 Posts

Default Don't be a Jerk

Swath, I'm very sorry to hear what happened. With barely 500 miles on my Stingray, my heart breaks for you. It sincerely does. Have her insurance fix it (or yours if she has none)...but if you sue her for $10k (or $20k as someone suggested) your a real jerk.

Everyone agrees the situation sucks, and I do understand your frustration, but a lawsuit against grandma seems ridiculous. Someone suggested, what if it was a "20 something kid texting?" Well, she wasn't. It was an 88 year old woman, who is probably embarrassed beyond words. Let her get on with her life with some dignity.

I realize I'm in the minority here and I see the overall tone on this thread thus far, so I'll get my flame suit on, but seriously. Take a step back and look at the big picture.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:08 PM
Jimbob26
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 64 Posts

It'll get fixed as good as new. The real issue is the person who hit you -- FORTUNATELY-- it was not worse and nobody was hurt. My father quit driving at 85 and it was a good thing - he drove like Mr. Magoo at that point. I'm for having everyone over a certain age (don't know what that age is) having to take a driving test each year to keep their license. Oh, and teens (I had 4) -they also need to be tested. Let's be serious - it take a lot of talent to text, drive, and do makeup all at once.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:36 PM
87C4_4spd
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ouch....sorry man. It would be rough to have this happen to your new C7.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:42 PM
thedofuss
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so, it appears that carfax gets its info from a repair facility or the police report, not from insurers. 1) how is it that they have access to police department information? 2) is it legal to pay you repair shop to NOT advise carfax (for an appropriate fee)?
Old 04-06-2014, 09:31 PM
Swath
Instructor

Originally Posted by Big Lebowski
Swath, I'm very sorry to hear what happened. With barely 500 miles on my Stingray, my heart breaks for you. It sincerely does. Have her insurance fix it (or yours if she has none)...but if you sue her for $10k (or $20k as someone suggested) your a real jerk.

Everyone agrees the situation sucks, and I do understand your frustration, but a lawsuit against grandma seems ridiculous. Someone suggested, what if it was a "20 something kid texting?" Well, she wasn't. It was an 88 year old woman, who is probably embarrassed beyond words. Let her get on with her life with some dignity.

I realize I'm in the minority here and I see the overall tone on this thread thus far, so I'll get my flame suit on, but seriously. Take a step back and look at the big picture.
It's a bit different here in Ontario, I don't actually go after her, I go after my insurance. She'll never even really know. My insurance pays all my costs and claims, then they work it out with her insurer. You don't actually sue the other person.

Adjuster will call tomorrow, I already know who will be doing the repairs. I get the car to him, he makes up the estimate, insurance approves it and repairs happen mid to late in the week. It's that simple here. The harder part is the rest of the claim between myself and the insurer but that does not stop the repairs.

Also I would never ask her to pay the repairs out of pocket. Most elderly people are on such fixed incomes and I would not want to cause her that kind of grief. That 20 year old however can borrow from her parents and PAY!!! LOL

Last edited by Swath; 04-06-2014 at 09:38 PM.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:46 PM
sly1
Le Mans Master

Received 530 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by thedofuss
so, it appears that carfax gets its info from a repair facility or the police report, not from insurers. 1) how is it that they have access to police department information? 2) is it legal to pay you repair shop to NOT advise carfax (for an appropriate fee)?
CARFAX buys info from insurance companies and other sources. Some insurance companies have a non-disclosure agreement, where they will not disclose information about your car and its accidents while other insurance companies are willing to sell that information to make money. Car appraisers can generally determine when a car has been in an accident, unless the entire car has been painted and paintd perfectly. Also, many of them use paint meters to ensure that the paint thickness is uniform throughout all the car surfaces.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:29 PM
2 Ag R8Cs
Race Director

Location: Retired Suffolk County Police Dept NY South Carolina
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You may not like what I say but it could have been worst, Be grateful that you or a loved one was not killed or injured in the accident.
I know I would be heartbroken but cars are replaceable and people are not. I have been injured a lot just be glad you did not wind up in a hospital.

I am 67 and consider myself to be a good driver I just hope I have the common sense to hang up the keys when the time comes.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:40 PM
2 Ag R8Cs
Race Director

Originally Posted by air86
It will buff right out.

On a serious note I'm sorry you got hit. This goes to show why older people need to be reevaluated to keep their licenses.

How fast did she hit you. Hopefully there won't be much damage internally and maybe be able to restore the bumper without replacing. I see the wheel well plastic damage but that shouldn't be that much and then the bumper looks pretty scratched but I am sure they have magic to restore it.

As for the loss I would go to a collision repair shop get an appraisal and see what the damage is financially.
There is a law against age discrimination, If people need to be retested it will have to be done to all drivers. Can you imagine the nightmare of every driver being retested regardless of age? Theoretically if the police do their job she will loose here license of maybe she should have lost it long before this happened.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:50 PM
2 Ag R8Cs
Race Director

Originally Posted by truckin-on
Fixing it is not the issue. The elephant in the living room is that it will get reported as having been in an accident on CarFax. This totally sucks when it comes to re-sale as all the nervous Nelly's out there (and dealers) will refuse to touch a car without a "clean" CarFax. It used to be that you looked at a car, and if you couldn't see any visible damage, you were good to go. No longer. I had a deer hit on my wife's Oddysey, and what a PITA to sell it as it no longer had a clean CarFax. I don't know what you can do as far as recourse, but the re-sale value of the car has been seriously damaged in my opinion, REGARDLESS of how well it's repaired. This can clearly be documented by looking at the sale prices of cars with, and without, clean CarFax reports. I think insurance payments need to start taking this into account, but it's unlikely...
Keep detailed pictures of the damage so that you can show that the damage did not involve damage to the frame or drive train.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:04 AM
donsar
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ATX-C7
Her insurance needs to pay up--huge loss of value.

I'll say it again, anytime there's body damage, you will take a serious hit on resale. First question on trade "ever been in a wreck or have body damage"? No matter how insignificant, it will impact you. Get her insurance to pay up big time.

88 year olds don't need to be driving

Sorry you're having to deal with this so early into your C7 ownership.
Don't generalize with regard to age. Many 80+ drivers can handle a car quite well. I'm 82 and took delivery last month on a new C7.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:10 AM
Swath
Instructor

Honestly I thing EVERYONE should need to retest for their license every 5 years.

Bring on the rain of fire for that comment but it would in the public's best interest!
Old 04-07-2014, 08:18 AM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,505 Likes on 3,590 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Bummer, and you don't even live in the capital old people with the worst driving is in Florida.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:36 AM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by donsar
Don't generalize with regard to age. Many 80+ drivers can handle a car quite well. I'm 82 and took delivery last month on a new C7.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:56 AM
StanNH
Le Mans Master

Received 1,221 Likes on 411 Posts

My brand new Volvo S60 R-Design took a solid fender hit while I was parked in a rest stop for less than 5 minutes. The person who hit me left, of course, with no note. I was furious, especially since the car was only two weeks old.

My collision covered the full cost of repairs. The fender was replaced, and primed and painted off the car to avoid any taping seams. The color and orange peel (texture) match was perfect. And ... this never showed up on CarFax.

Damage like this is typically more psychological than physical. It is terrible that it happened, but it can be fully rectified at no cost to you with a visit to any decent body shop. There is apparently relatively minor damage to the car, so just have it taken care of and enjoy the car when it comes back fixed and as good as new.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:34 AM
jimcork1
Drifting

Honestly I thing EVERYONE should need to retest for their license every 5 years.

Bring on the rain of fire for that comment but it would in the public's best interest!
I'm 67 drive a 99 C5 and I get tested by the FAA every 2 yrs to fly my airplane. I figure IF I am healthy enough to fly I am healthy enough to drive a vet. I am also looking at C7's for near purchase.

On the damage. My input:

1) Fix it right
2) Drive it have fun
3) Don't worry yourself about what might happen when you sell it.
4) Selling a Corvette isn't like selling a Geo. IF you maintain it and treat it right it will sell and you can get a fair price even with the minor bender you had.
5) My 64 red conv numbers match was hit in qtr panel by 16 yr old, properly repaired and is probably now in a museum on display.

Don't worry be happy. Fix your car enjoy it.

And watch out for the 67 yr in your rear mirror getting ready to pass you with a sign that says I love flying.!
Old 04-07-2014, 09:49 AM
BIg Wash AZ
Racer

The biggest hit is to your state of mind. We got popped three times in the rear in our C6. All within 20 months. Seemed like target practice. Rear fascia cosmetics are easy does it. Tell the body shop you choose that part of the deal is no Car Fax. They don't care. And with light damage likely wouldn't anyway. None of ours showed up having used two different shops.

Get notified of new replies

To Unreal, rear ended by an 88 year old!

Old 04-07-2014, 10:23 AM
2 Ag R8Cs
Race Director

Although I agree with you I doubt that most DMVs can handle the workload The inconvenience to all the good drivers to catch a few bad ones isn't worth it and the drivers that loose their license will continue to drive so it will ultimately become a police matter. If the cops do their job (which I believe they do) they will get the bad drivers off the road, but sometimes things like this happen before the police identify them. The cost would be enormous in hiring people to do the drivers test. Long waiting times to take the test. Hopefully the dangerous drivers will be issued tickets and loose their license
Old 04-07-2014, 12:35 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 4,011 Likes on 1,690 Posts

It's a bit different here in Ontario, I don't actually go after her, I go after my insurance. She'll never even really know. My insurance pays all my costs and claims, then they work it out with her insurer. You don't actually sue the other person.

Adjuster will call tomorrow, I already know who will be doing the repairs. I get the car to him, he makes up the estimate, insurance approves it and repairs happen mid to late in the week. It's that simple here. The harder part is the rest of the claim between myself and the insurer but that does not stop the repairs.

Also I would never ask her to pay the repairs out of pocket. Most elderly people are on such fixed incomes and I would not want to cause her that kind of grief. That 20 year old however can borrow from her parents and PAY!!! LOL
Interesting...well, than if you are not dragging grandma into small claims court, I do feel differently about it. Best of luck.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:03 PM
jim2527
Race Director

Received 633 Likes on 426 Posts

Many of you are missing the point of what I said. It's not $10K in damages, it's $10K in lost value..
Um no. You didnt take the offer and now you want the insurance to pay for something you declined? Suppose they do pay this 'mystery' $10K...what's to kepp you from flipping back to the dealer for another $10K. That $10k is not real money.

Quick Reply: Unreal, rear ended by an 88 year old!