Sponsored by:

Is 2LT really worth the extra $$$?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 08:42 AM
snappy2u
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by slief
I think it's definitely worth it. Heads up display, memory package, stereo upgrade, heated and cooled seats, some subtle interior upgrades. It's a lot of bang for the buck and very nice creature comforts that really improve the driving experience. It also will appeal to a wider range of potential buyers down the line thus making resale easier if and when you go to sell it.

Exactly why I bought it!
Old 04-03-2014, 08:54 AM
onyx_z71
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

I tried to keep within a certain budget, and Z51, auto, and mag ride were way more important to me than going 2LT. I will say the C7 HUD is way nicer than the C5/C6 HUD graphics which are comparable to graphics of Atari games introduced during the Carter Administration.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:59 AM
Art-2008
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just picked-up my 1Lt Z51. Everyone who sees it is very impressed with even the base interior. I was surprised at the amount of REAL stitching on the dash and door panels. I have never had "heads up display" and thus don't miss it.

I don't like the chrome plastic emblems on the 2LT/3LT seats. Several reports of them breaking easily & snagging clothes. One poster even reported that he cut his arm when one broke.

Several posters complain about the "memory seats" always sliding up towards the steering wheel??????

As far as resale goes..............A used car shopper is usually looking for a "bargain". I believe a clean 1LT that is priced $4,000 less will sell more quickly than a clean 2LT that is $4,000 more.

My "other" sports car is a Lotus Elise, compared to that, the 1LT Stingray seems like a Cadillac!

I am 100% pleased and satisfied with the 1LT it met or exceeded all of my expectations. Nothing about the 1LT looks "cheap" or incomplete.

I understand that we all have different tastes and expectations, buy the car that you really want, but for ME it was the 1LT.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:05 AM
HogwildC7
Melting Slicks

Received 132 Likes on 97 Posts

get the lt2 package
Old 04-03-2014, 11:06 AM
VETJAZZ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 206 Likes on 146 Posts

2LT very worth it for me. Good luck with your decision.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:30 AM
illiceman11
Advanced

Default LT 2 Yes

I would not get a LT 1.I would not get navigation after using the On Star Nav.
Trade in values will be better.Your overall driving experience will be much better.
Just my take.Oh and I do also love my clear top.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:02 PM
petervetter
Intermediate

the heads up display alone is worth it. use it once and you will question (like i do) why it is not required on all new autos.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:47 PM
HDBADDOG55
Burning Brakes

Received 180 Likes on 73 Posts

I think it's definitely worth it. Heads up display, memory package, stereo upgrade, heated and cooled seats, some subtle interior upgrades. It's a lot of bang for the buck and very nice creature comforts that really improve the driving experience. It also will appeal to a wider range of potential buyers down the line thus making resale easier if and when you go to sell it.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:08 PM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ddman718
Yes... read a thread somewhere on here about it. A lot of people were having issues with the heated seats... saying on the highest setting the seats would get a little warm... but nothing close to keeping your bum toasty
It's not that there were actually any issues. The issue is that due to the addition of the cooling in the seats, the heating element is different than it was in the C6. The C7's heating element has to have a means for the air to pass through the seat. As such, the element is no longer a typical solid mat like it is in a traditional non ventilated seat. So, while the heating isn't as good as it was in the C6, the only issue with the C7's seat heating is people understand and acceptance of how the new seat heater elements have to function in order to accommodate the added ventilation feature. In the end, they work as designed but take longer to heat up and may not get as hot as the C6 heaters did. Given the added ventilation, it's an understandable trade off and if you understand what makes these heaters work, one would realize that there really isn't an issue with them. The issue is with peoples expectations and their lack of understanding.

Last edited by slief; 04-03-2014 at 01:10 PM.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:06 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,646 Likes on 6,645 Posts

It's not that there were actually any issues. The issue is that due to the addition of the cooling in the seats, the heating element is different than it was in the C6. The C7's heating element has to have a means for the air to pass through the seat. As such, the element is no longer a typical solid mat like it is in a traditional non ventilated seat. So, while the heating isn't as good as it was in the C6, the only issue with the C7's seat heating is people understand and acceptance of how the new seat heater elements have to function in order to accommodate the added ventilation feature. In the end, they work as designed but take longer to heat up and may not get as hot as the C6 heaters did. Given the added ventilation, it's an understandable trade off and if you understand what makes these heaters work, one would realize that there really isn't an issue with them. The issue is with peoples expectations and their lack of understanding.
Thanks for the great info on why the seat take longer to heat and do not get as hot- the cooling system! First time I heard a good reason and not “it needs a software update!”
Looking at the Car & Driver video again on the difference between the C6 and C7 seats, it doesn’t look like the 3 fans (2 in the seat bottom and one at the top) take away a lot of heating area potential. However the mesh backing they show that allows the cooling air to circulate looks to be over a ½ inch thick, which is certainly a good insulator and is probably what takes the time for the heat to be felt. I have found it eventually gets sufficiently hot that I need to turn it down. However in SC it does not get very cold! We’ll see how the cooling works as it gets warmer. I tried using it once and it got cold pretty quick.

Last edited by JerryU; 04-03-2014 at 05:34 PM.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:27 PM
Supersonic 427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,649 Likes on 817 Posts

Originally Posted by Art-2008
I just picked-up my 1Lt Z51. Everyone who sees it is very impressed with even the base interior. I was surprised at the amount of REAL stitching on the dash and door panels. I have never had "heads up display" and thus don't miss it.

I don't like the chrome plastic emblems on the 2LT/3LT seats. Several reports of them breaking easily & snagging clothes. One poster even reported that he cut his arm when one broke.

Several posters complain about the "memory seats" always sliding up towards the steering wheel??????

As far as resale goes..............A used car shopper is usually looking for a "bargain". I believe a clean 1LT that is priced $4,000 less will sell more quickly than a clean 2LT that is $4,000 more.

My "other" sports car is a Lotus Elise, compared to that, the 1LT Stingray seems like a Cadillac!

I am 100% pleased and satisfied with the 1LT it met or exceeded all of my expectations. Nothing about the 1LT looks "cheap" or incomplete.

I understand that we all have different tastes and expectations, buy the car that you really want, but for ME it was the 1LT.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:39 PM
vincent_esq
Racer

Received 109 Likes on 38 Posts

I have the 1LT and have never had HUD, so I don't miss it. I am pretty sure if I have it, my opinion will change. If you can afford it, go for it. If you are on a budget, and if you never had HUD, you won't really miss a thing. The 1lt interior is still amazing. I have the same configuration: AW, AR. I used red marker (there are many threads about this) and took about 1 hour to color the stitching to red. I also changed the center console and driver side trim piece to red ($350). I personally think the red door armrest on both sides are too much for me. Thus, I am very happy with my interior!
With my savings of $4200 plus tax ($4500), I will use it toward future rims/tires, an extended warranty, or maybe even a supercharger. I did order Npp and Nav for my car. I love the NPP.....just wished it was a bit more louder at idle!
Old 04-03-2014, 03:52 PM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by ddman718
I do plan on keeping it forever... But I say that now! Down the line when a new body style comes out I might give her up. But I never had HUD so I'm not sure what I'm missing out on when it comes to that. I can live without a lot of perks but just want to know if it's worth it to splurge or if I'm going to say to myself I should have spent that $$ on some nice aftermarket rims instead or other mods
I test drove my first C7 yesterday and the HUD was nicer than I expected. I have never had this feature before but have heard many on this forum comment they would not want to be without it. I am sure it only gets better as you get mor accustomed to it. I too made the decision to move from the 1LT to the 2 LT package when I order my new car in late May or early June. I probably could have gotten by with the 1LT but my wife considers heated seats....even in the summer a necessity with me cranking the AC on In the end it is a personal decision like everyone has already stated.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:06 PM
fredl11
Safety Car

Received 69 Likes on 32 Posts

I love the HUD
Old 04-03-2014, 05:32 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

I went with the 2LT, all the features are important to me, including navigation. I made up some of the extra cost by not going with NPP (exhaust sound is not that important to me) or colored calipers. I adjusted my wants/desires to control overall cost.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:41 PM
rstrait
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

1LT for me. The only thing that I might like would be the HUD and since I've never had it I won't miss it. All the other upgrades are either worth nothing or very little to me. It's what it's worth to the guy buying the car. Not knocking those who go for whatever trim level they want, that's why it's called, "perceived value."
Old 04-03-2014, 06:34 PM
whoie15
Advanced

4k is a lot of money. You can do a lot of things with that. HUD sounds cool but u wont die without it and also, heated seats, if you live in cali like me, you really dont need it. But if you got the money then DEW IT!

Get notified of new replies

To Is 2LT really worth the extra $$$?

Old 04-03-2014, 07:09 PM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Received 534 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by whoie15
4k is a lot of money. You can do a lot of things with that. HUD sounds cool but u wont die without it and also, heated seats, if you live in cali like me, you really dont need it. But if you got the money then DEW IT!
I got the 2LT, but that that was the same kind of reasoning I had for not getting the 3LT.

$3,750 is a lot of money. Napa Leather is nice, but I just had it in my last car and I won't miss it. I know my way around and have some maps, so don't need NAV.

Last edited by RedC7AZ; 04-03-2014 at 10:39 PM.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:18 PM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,069 Likes on 592 Posts

We got our C7 2 weeks ago and now I have about 1000 miles on it. One reason I worried was would I be able to enjoy driving without the HUD like I had on my C6 and also my C5? Well, I can say this....I didn't miss the HUD at all because the dash speedo has a very large speed graphic that is easy to read. So, I saved 4 grand !. And the car is terrific. My only complaints are the seat belt holder on the seat corner is useless when the seat is way back. I'm sure that will probably change in future models. And my wife thinks the visor mirror is too small.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:24 PM
ddman718
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike Campbell
We got our C7 2 weeks ago and now I have about 1000 miles on it. One reason I worried was would I be able to enjoy driving without the HUD like I had on my C6 and also my C5? Well, I can say this....I didn't miss the HUD at all because the dash speedo has a very large speed graphic that is easy to read. So, I saved 4 grand !. And the car is terrific. My only complaints are the seat belt holder on the seat corner is useless when the seat is way back. I'm sure that will probably change in future models. And my wife thinks the visor mirror is too small.
Do you miss the navigation being displayed on the HUD when your turn is coming up?

Quick Reply: Is 2LT really worth the extra $$$?