Sponsored by:

Z51 front brake rotor cooling rings

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 09:17 PM
Callihan
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Z51 front brake rotor cooling rings

I just purchased my C7 z51 and in the trunk was Z51 front brake rotor cooling rings. I asked my sales but if the would install them and he said they would charge me. He also mentioned it was not necessary unless I was taking it to the track. Has anyone installed these? Should I? Also what did they charge you? Sorry if this is a repost.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 792
Size:  74.8 KB
Old 03-31-2014, 09:19 PM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

These should only be installed for the track and then removed. They should not be used for daily driving... and yes, the dealer will charge you to put them on, no different than they'll charge you to put racing brake fluid in before a track day.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:22 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Only install for track use and remove them afterwards as the dissimilar metals WILL cause corrosion.

(says that in the paperwork, by the way)

Don't install for street use.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:23 PM
Callihan
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys!
Old 03-31-2014, 09:33 PM
mb1
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

This might be a dumb question but I wonder why the aftermarket hasn't solved for this. Why not make an identical cooling ring that doesn't rust/degrade? I would think it would just take someone making them out of a different material. Maybe someone has already developed one and I just don't know it? I want to set it and forget it, not fiddle with putting them on and taking them off.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:34 PM
*C7*
Melting Slicks

Received 388 Likes on 168 Posts
St. Jude Donor 05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by KenHorse
Only install for track use and remove them afterwards as the dissimilar metals WILL cause corrosion.

(says that in the paperwork, by the way)

Don't install for street use.
Ken, I read that as well. Which part or parts do you think are going to corrode???
Old 03-31-2014, 09:37 PM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by mb1
This might be a dumb question but I wonder why the aftermarket hasn't solved for this. Why not make an identical cooling ring that doesn't rust/degrade? I would think it would just take someone making them out of a different material. Maybe someone has already developed one and I just don't know it? I want to set it and forget it, not fiddle with putting them on and taking them off.
They have... it's called AP Racing or Racing Brake replacement rotors

There was a review from Essex on the C7 brakes and they basically concluded that the cooling ring was a last minute GM band aid to deal with overheating because of flaws in the rotor design on the C7. Whether they are right or wrong, it is a poor design element.

If you are not tracking the car, it isn't relevant. If you are (like me), I will replace the rotors with better two piece ones before my first track day and keep OEM's around to put back on the car for trade in someday. Having said that, if you are pushing the car hard on the track anyway, you'll have the wheels off to put on track brake pads so adding the rings is just a simple extra step. If you aren't pushing the car hard enough on the track to need racing brake pads, my bet is the rings probably aren't needed anyway.

Last edited by gthal; 03-31-2014 at 09:45 PM.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:38 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by *C7*
Ken, I read that as well. Which part or parts do you think are going to corrode???
Rings are aluminum, rotors are iron. Aluminum is less noble so I suspect the rings will corrode
Old 03-31-2014, 09:46 PM
mb1
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

HA! Yeah, I'm disappointing that they look to be a bit inferior but my M3's two piston brakes are fine for the street and a must replace for the track also. I guess they had to cut corners somewhere. They'll probably address it in future years but I got in before the price increase so I could justify upgrading perhaps. I might try replacing the rotors and see what that gets me if I end up tracking it.

Originally Posted by gthal
They have... it's called AP Racing or Racing Brake replacement rotors

There was a review from Essex on the C7 brakes and they basically concluded that the cooling ring was a last minute GM band aid to deal with overheating because of flaws in the rotor design on the C7. Whether they are right or wrong, it is a poor design element.

If you are not tracking the car, it isn't relevant. If you are (like me), I will replace the rotors with better two piece ones before my first track day and keep OEM's around to put back on the car for trade in someday.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:47 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by KenHorse
Rings are aluminum, rotors are iron. Aluminum is less noble so I suspect the rings will corrode
Part of the reason the "knights" of old never used It!
Plus it was poor at stopping Arrows!

J/K Had to try it!

Get notified of new replies

To Z51 front brake rotor cooling rings

Quick Reply: Z51 front brake rotor cooling rings