C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I have a VIN number and they can't find my car???

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 07:06 AM
hope2
Safety Car

Received 358 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by mjw930
I'm having trouble taking this seriously. What grown adult who's had enough success to afford a C7 pays for it before they take possession?
i have trouble taking you seriously.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:25 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,122 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by mpuzach
I had my car's VIN nearly a week before it was built. Fact.
The car ain't built until the selling dealer gets invoiced by GM which happens within a day of the car leaving the production line. The VIN gets assigned when the car gets sequenced for production before it even hits the assembly line.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:18 PM
Len in Maryland
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Go figure; my C7 is being unloaded at the Dealer right now. Anyway, I'm glad it arrived safely and I hope to take delivery today.

3LT CRT coupe, Kalahari, NPP, inferno orange stripes, machined aluminum wheels, transparent roof

I'll take a lot of pictures and then figure out how to post them later.

Thanks for all your comments. I learned a lot reading them.
Old 03-27-2014, 02:12 PM
C6RaceCar
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ahaha isnt that the way it always goes. You flip out and all for nothing. I do that alot too with stuff. Especially for a new C7 that you already paid for, I would have done the same. Congrats btw. Im waiting on my turn to get one. Going to be a 15 or 16 model at this rate......
Old 03-27-2014, 02:32 PM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by mjw930
I'm having trouble taking this seriously. What grown adult who's had enough success to afford a C7 pays for it before they take possession?
Many of us in fact. I bought my car sight unseen from Kerbeck in NJ and arranged my own shipping. I paid for it and signed all the paperwork before Kerbeck received it from the factory. That is actually a fairly normal process.

. One reason to pay and get the paperwork out of the way is to lock in loan rates or lock the car up. When the demand exceeds the supply many dealers will require the finances to be 100% locked in once they are invoiced. Obviously for you this must be your first rodeo however for many of us, it isn't.
So I assume you won't take me seriously either?

OP,
I'm glad they located your car. This scenario is fairly common. I think most cars coming off the line are held as part of a Q/C hold prior to being shipped.

Last edited by slief; 03-27-2014 at 02:36 PM.
Old 03-27-2014, 02:35 PM
Mecholova
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And oh those adults who do museum
Old 03-27-2014, 02:39 PM
Stingray Al
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Len in Maryland
I'll take time to respond to your inquiry. I have a contract with a very large Dealer who has many facilities and who has been doing business in this area for a long time. I also have a very good law firm in the event there are any glitches. I can also afford what I did.

I was at the Dealership for other reasons and we, the Dealer and me, were under the impression that the car would be arrive in a few days. I didn't want to be tied up doing a lot of paperwork the day my car arrived, so I did the paperwork while I was already therel.

I have absolutely no problem paying in advance, but I did hold back a good chunk of money for GP. I'm sorry you have problems understanding something that I have done with an absolute clear and clean conscience.

BTW, a good portion of the 'deposit' was paid with my American Express card so that I could build up more points with AMEX. Makes for having a very nice vacation and I'm going to enjoy my new car very soon and my vacation as well.
When I picked up my c7, I inspected the vehicle and the paperwork was completed in 5 minutes. The process isn't that long
Old 03-27-2014, 03:22 PM
82CFI
Instructor

BTW, a good portion of the 'deposit' was paid with my American Express card so that I could build up more points with AMEX. Makes for having a very nice vacation and I'm going to enjoy my new car very soon and my vacation as well.
That's nice that you got a dealer to accept your AMEX. Every dealer (except for my local Benz dealer) that I've purchased a new or used vehicle won't take a CC. After we negotiate a price they don't want to lose profit on the points ... not even for a portion will they take a CC. Like you, I love the AMEX points and my VISA/MC airline miles ... can't say that my vacations are "free" because I do have to charge to get the points but we all gotta buy stuff. i.e. food and drink and gas and...

Last edited by 82CFI; 03-27-2014 at 03:32 PM.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:31 PM
82CFI
Instructor

Originally Posted by GOLD72
The car ain't built until the selling dealer gets invoiced by GM which happens within a day of the car leaving the production line.
Isn't this contradictory?

The car ain't built until the selling dealer gets invoiced by GM

BUT THEN the rest of the sentence

which happens within a day of the car LEAVING the production line.

Hmmm ... What came first, the chicken or the egg?
Old 03-27-2014, 04:15 PM
knucklexyz
Advanced

Go figure; my C7 is being unloaded at the Dealer right now. Anyway, I'm glad it arrived safely and I hope to take delivery today.

3LT CRT coupe, Kalahari, NPP, inferno orange stripes, machined aluminum wheels, transparent roof

Really glad it all worked out for you. I'm also in MD and have a C7 on order with a 4/14 TPW. Looks like the weather is finally going to turn to something other than winter around here. Enjoy!
Old 03-27-2014, 04:21 PM
avalonandl
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 18 Posts

Len- Enjoy the new ride and post some pics...

Avalon
Old 03-27-2014, 05:42 PM
mjw930
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I'll take time to respond to your inquiry. I have a contract with a very large Dealer who has many facilities and who has been doing business in this area for a long time. I also have a very good law firm in the event there are any glitches. I can also afford what I did.

I was at the Dealership for other reasons and we, the Dealer and me, were under the impression that the car would be arrive in a few days. I didn't want to be tied up doing a lot of paperwork the day my car arrived, so I did the paperwork while I was already therel.

I have absolutely no problem paying in advance, but I did hold back a good chunk of money for GP. I'm sorry you have problems understanding something that I have done with an absolute clear and clean conscience.

Len,

I understand and I apologize if I offended you. I'm glad it worked out and the car is here.

I'm sure a lot of people prepay for whatever reason and it's really their business. What prompted my reply is I've seen many posts like this where people have prepaid then come online to vent when the deal seems to start going sideways. It's a risk some are willing to take but not one I am willing to under any circumstance other than museum or factory delivery. (I could elaborate on why a Museum or factory delivery is different, both legally and risk wise but that's another thread all together)

Good for you it worked out and use those AMEX points to take a trip in your new C7.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:39 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,581 Likes on 1,647 Posts

I tried to pay my deposit with my GM Capital One card. Dealer wouldn't accept the card, said, "cash or check"....
Old 03-27-2014, 11:49 PM
Len in Maryland
Intermediate

Thank you for the reply,MJW930. I understand the reasoning behind your thoughts.

Picked up the car late tonight. Wow, what a rush with all the technology. I'll post some pics ASAP.

One thing that the factory did that was a mistake was to put the stripes across the transparent roof. The Dealer was really worried and assured me they could take it off quickly.

No way, I actually like it a lot for two reasons. First, it looks good in my opinion. Second it will keep it cooler inside for those very hot summer days. Both me and my passenger have a very good view and I think we'll be a lot more comfortable.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:35 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,191 Likes on 2,681 Posts

So glad to hear that it arrived, and you are happy with it! Slowly, but surely, there are a few arriving in our neck of the woods. Now comes the sitting in the car for hours trying to figure all the new stuff out.

lisa
Old 03-28-2014, 12:44 AM
csf
Melting Slicks

Received 213 Likes on 131 Posts

Thank you for the reply,MJW930. I understand the reasoning behind your thoughts.

Picked up the car late tonight. Wow, what a rush with all the technology. I'll post some pics ASAP.

One thing that the factory did that was a mistake was to put the stripes across the transparent roof. The Dealer was really worried and assured me they could take it off quickly.

No way, I actually like it a lot for two reasons. First, it looks good in my opinion. Second it will keep it cooler inside for those very hot summer days. Both me and my passenger have a very good view and I think we'll be a lot more comfortable.
Len, Congrats on the new car, glad it all worked out, and you handled the deal and your posts here perfectly. By the way, many previous generation Corvettes with stripes include a striped roof . . . even the convertibles. Pure Corvette - I always liked that. Enjoy the car.

Craig in Maryland (Owings Mills)
Old 03-28-2014, 07:45 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,122 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by 82CFI
Isn't this contradictory?.........
Opps!! My bad. The point I was trying to make was that the VIN is assigned long before the car is actually built and not at the time it rolls off the assembly line.

Get notified of new replies

To I have a VIN number and they can't find my car???

Old 03-29-2014, 02:27 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,651 Likes on 6,649 Posts

Great. Sounds similar to what happened to me. See my post 20!
Old 03-29-2014, 12:21 PM
Len in Maryland
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JerryU
Great. Sounds similar to what happened to me. See my post 20!
Quite similar. I hope it doesn't happen to too many buyers.

Been driving it for the past few days and can't believe the attention this car gets. The stripes really make it stand out. Now I'm sitting in the garage trying to figure out all the electronics. Only got a small indoctrination due to time constraints when I picked it up. Scheduled to go back Monday for more.

Will post a lot of pictures soon as the weather breaks.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:06 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,651 Likes on 6,649 Posts

Quite similar. I hope it doesn't happen to too many buyers.

Been driving it for the past few days and can't believe the attention this car gets. The stripes really make it stand out. Now I'm sitting in the garage trying to figure out all the electronics. Only got a small indoctrination due to time constraints when I picked it up. Scheduled to go back Monday for more.

Will post a lot of pictures soon as the weather breaks.
Takes some playing to fine all the options after you read the manual. Had mine since October and just recently found how easy it is to use voice commands for the infotainment system! Did not have to do anything to get it to work, just started talking, with words like play artist or play song. Have all my songs on a 32GB SD memory card. I just mention the artist or song and she finds and plays it! I just hit the talk button and say XM and it puts on XM! Easier than learning all the buttons!

Quick Reply: I have a VIN number and they can't find my car???