Sponsored by:

Discard my new tires?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 09:21 PM
MisterMe
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thedofuss
gm is mass producing tires that dont work on , say, 50% of their cars. ...
This is complete nonsense. GM does not produce tires for sale, either by mass production or by handcrafting. The tires installed on your car were produced by French tire manufacturer Michelin.

If you had said that GM should have commissioned performance tires that are not vulnerable to ordinary cool temperatures, then you might have a point. However you did not say that. You said something that is simply not true.
Old 04-26-2014, 09:40 PM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Funny when the Corvette shipped with GY tires everyone whined about how bad they were and how good the Michelin's were. You know world class vs the GoodRocks......

careful what you ask for.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:04 PM
Vettefan666
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UPDATE: I didn't find any more cracks since I got the car 5 weeks ago. No one could promise a tire swap without scratching the rims even though I was offered two new tires at no charge.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:10 PM
MisterMe
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AFVETTE
Funny when the Corvette shipped with GY tires everyone whined about how bad they were and how good the Michelin's were. You know world class vs the GoodRocks......

careful what you ask for.
I agree. Some buyers want to blame cracking tires on GM or Michelin. It is clear that the problem is that this is the state of the art for the rubber in performance tires. Michelin is doing what it can to mitigate tire-cracking by immediately replacing cracked tires under warranty. It is giving away a lot of free performance tires to Z51 buyers. I assume that Michelin research chemists and engineers are working diligently to develop rubber compounds for performance tires that maintain their elasticity at lower temperatures.
Old 04-27-2014, 07:23 AM
Stangslayer
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by MisterMe
I agree. Some buyers want to blame cracking tires on GM or Michelin. It is clear that the problem is that this is the state of the art for the rubber in performance tires. Michelin is doing what it can to mitigate tire-cracking by immediately replacing cracked tires under warranty. It is giving away a lot of free performance tires to Z51 buyers. I assume that Michelin research chemists and engineers are working diligently to develop rubber compounds for performance tires that maintain their elasticity at lower temperatures.
Yes, they are called A/S 3 tires!
There will always be trade offs in tire performance.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:45 AM
mjw930
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettefan666
UPDATE: I didn't find any more cracks since I got the car 5 weeks ago. No one could promise a tire swap without scratching the rims even though I was offered two new tires at no charge.
Wow, no one could promise they wouldn't scratch your rims???? Looks like you are SOL when it's time to replace tires. Where do you live where there's such a lack of current technology tire stores?

Quick Reply: Discard my new tires?