Sponsored by:

Airbag warning light?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 11:12 PM
Vettefan666
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airbag warning light?

I did a search here and on google but can't find anything. (I know it's here, though). Driving home with my new C7 tonight, 20 miles, airbag warning light cycles on and off. Does it have to go back to the dealer?Thanx.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:58 AM
jr3
Safety Car

Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts

Those damn lights are a pain in the @$$ for GM cars. I think they put the freakin' things on there just to get service $$$ from owners.. I've had several GM cars and those lights come on. Took them to the service dept. they claim to fix it then after a service bill and a couple weeks later it comes on again.

Nationwide, those check engine and air bag lights gotta be a big $$$ maker for dealers/GM. $100 bucks a car just to hook it to the comp. and tell you the problem then you still gotta pay to fix the problem only to have the lights come back on later.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:09 AM
air86
Burning Brakes

Received 77 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettefan666
I did a search here and on google but can't find anything. (I know it's here, though). Driving home with my new C7 tonight, 20 miles, airbag warning light cycles on and off. Does it have to go back to the dealer?Thanx.
You may have a bad airbag sensor. I had this with my C6 back in the day. It would pop on and then go out randomly. The part was a bitch to get so they had my car for a while before i signed a waiver "safety" because they couldn't release the car until i signed it.

Anyway once they got the part it wasn't long. My best advice is to go to the dealer.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:37 AM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

On the C6 this issue was usually caused by the plug under the seat. Typically an easy fix simply by pressing the plugs together as it was the result of a marginal seat plug connection. Many used a Zip Tie to insure the plug was completely seated together. If I were you, I'd raise the seat up, locate the plug for the seat and squeeze them together. Do this on both drivers and passenger seat and see if that resolves your issue. If you are really tall or really short and have the seat in an extreme position (all the way to the back or up to increase height), it is very plausible that there is tension on those plugs and it could result in triggering the airbag light. As such, check the plugs.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:53 PM
ck9887
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Just take it to the dealer... I wouldn't mess with anything myself that had to do with the airbags and no need to considering the car is under warranty.
Old 03-26-2014, 01:29 AM
Vettefan666
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I drove it about 50 miles tonight and no light!
Old 03-26-2014, 07:46 AM
air86
Burning Brakes

Received 77 Likes on 54 Posts

Well, I drove it about 50 miles tonight and no light!
It may come on randomly. Just be careful out there. It doesn't hurt to have it checked out.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:34 PM
sts57c5
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do a search on air bag light and you will find multiple posts as this was an issue and still is with the c6. I sure hope they got the issue fixed on the c7. I have 2011 and I had the problem several times. Good luck and keep us posted ok?
Old 11-06-2014, 05:36 PM
JHH83
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hate to dig up a semi-old thread but this exact issue happened to me as well. I picked up my brand new 2015 Z51 on 10/30, and the "Service Airbag" message appeared while I was driving it home from the dealer (had approximately 30 miles on it). The message came and went intermittently for a few days until I finally took it to the dealer yesterday. They initially diagnosed it as a short caused by a loose cable under the seat and thought they had fixed it but unfortunately the message had reappeared by the time I got home. Took it back this morning and they are now saying that they had to order a new airbag module overnight and I'll be Vette-less until at least Tuesday. They said they won't release the car until they are absolutely positive it is safe, which I don't have a problem with.

I'm not thrilled to see my brand new car spend the second week of its life at the dealer for repair, but I'm hopeful everything will be resolved once they replace the module. On a more positive note, my experience with the dealer has been exceptional. The GM has been in communication with me from the very beginning and has been incredibly helpful and forthcoming. They also gave me a pretty sweet Tahoe for the weekend which although it's no Vette, I'm glad it's not some beater Aveo.
Old 11-07-2014, 08:54 AM
sts57c5
Le Mans Master

I am very disappointed to hear that you are having this issue with the C& as this was an issue with the C6 and on my C6 it was in the shop several times while under warranty for air bag sensor issue.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:18 AM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

Hi Vettefan666,

We're also very sorry to hear that you're experiencing a concern with your C7! If you decide to head into the dealership, please let our team know. We'd be happy to follow up on anything for you!

JHH83,

Glad to hear that your dealer experience has been an exceptional one, and apologize you had to head back in this early on in ownership. Please PM us the outcome, and let us know if we can look into anything further for you.

Marissa
Chevrolet Customer Care

Last edited by Chevy Cust Svc; 11-07-2014 at 09:21 AM.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:20 AM
pittperson
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JHH83
Hate to dig up a semi-old thread but this exact issue happened to me as well. I picked up my brand new 2015 Z51 on 10/30, and the "Service Airbag" message appeared while I was driving it home from the dealer (had approximately 30 miles on it). The message came and went intermittently for a few days until I finally took it to the dealer yesterday. They initially diagnosed it as a short caused by a loose cable under the seat and thought they had fixed it but unfortunately the message had reappeared by the time I got home. Took it back this morning and they are now saying that they had to order a new airbag module overnight and I'll be Vette-less until at least Tuesday. They said they won't release the car until they are absolutely positive it is safe, which I don't have a problem with.

I'm not thrilled to see my brand new car spend the second week of its life at the dealer for repair, but I'm hopeful everything will be resolved once they replace the module. On a more positive note, my experience with the dealer has been exceptional. The GM has been in communication with me from the very beginning and has been incredibly helpful and forthcoming. They also gave me a pretty sweet Tahoe for the weekend which although it's no Vette, I'm glad it's not some beater Aveo.
I had to have the airbag module deep inside the dash, but easy fix, replaced with 75 miles on the clock. Everything has been good for the last 11,000+ miles.
Old 01-21-2015, 03:51 PM
sts57c5
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by pittperson
I had to have the airbag module deep inside the dash, but easy fix, replaced with 75 miles on the clock. Everything has been good for the last 11,000+ miles.

Since I raised up my seat and left my seat in a fixed location I have not seen the warning light and that has lasted for seven months now. Fingers crossed .

Get notified of new replies

To Airbag warning light?

Quick Reply: Airbag warning light?