Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 04:40 PM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

Received 1,293 Likes on 722 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by T_Bone
I really expected my first thread to be much happier. To make a long story short, Maher in St. Petersburg Fl just completely screwed me over. Apparently the buyers order you sign when you order is only valid when it suits the dealer. I asked for an out the door total which after bickering back and forth (they started at 5k) over MSRP and finally finished at $500 over MSRP plus all the misc crap $495 predelivery fee, etc. They gave me a decent trade on my Porsche.

So yesterday the salesman calls to say the car will be here by next week (it's currently bayed in BG.) and explain about the price increase and I'm covered there BUT the MSRP on my buyers order was an approximation and the new figure is 1k over that. I'm like no way, we have a signed out the door number. He says nope it's an approximation. I'm so livid I say forget it sell the car to someone else and get your profit. So the manager calls today to explain the same thing stating " you do understand the word approximate, right". I would've probably relented up until this point. He says they'll send me a check for the difference of my Porsche trade and cash value whatever that means and that he doesn't want to sell me the car because he doesn't need the headache of a bad survey.
So here I am. Stunned. Without my Porsche I pretraded for who knows what they'll actually send. Prices in the Z51 have increased. I'm probably a jackass for pushing it but in my book a deal is a deal. Just dumbfounded. Not sure the vette was meant to be. I just hate having invested 3 months of my life into this car.
Yes, what does that mean? Could it be they took a loss either selling your Porsche to someone or wholesaleing it to Manheim or such? Now trying to make it up on you. It sounds like your Porsche is long gone from the dealership thus you will receive the "Porsche trade" value quoted on your buyers order less what they actually got as the "cash value".

For your sake, I hope I'm completely off base with this.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:41 PM
82CFI
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KenHorse
Guess that's what happens with a dealership named after Bill Maher

You should be outta here and hiding under a chair because your one liner is gonna get you nailed again by those on here of the progressive bent. And having written this, I'm
Old 03-20-2014, 04:45 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by CRABBYJ
Yes, what does that mean? Could it be they took a loss either selling your Porsche to someone or wholesaleing it to Manheim or such? Now trying to make it up on you. It sounds like your Porsche is long gone from the dealership thus you will receive the "Porsche trade" value quoted on your buyers order less what they actually got as the "cash value".

For your sake, I hope I'm completely off base with this.
I am with CrabbyJ on this, you better nail down very quickly what they mean by this deal for your Porsche or you may be losing a lot more value than the additional $995 they tried to charge you.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:52 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,213 Likes on 825 Posts

I really expected my first thread to be much happier. To make a long story short, Maher in St. Petersburg Fl just completely screwed me over. Apparently the buyers order you sign when you order is only valid when it suits the dealer. I asked for an out the door total which after bickering back and forth (they started at 5k) over MSRP and finally finished at $500 over MSRP plus all the misc crap $495 predelivery fee, etc. They gave me a decent trade on my Porsche.

So yesterday the salesman calls to say the car will be here by next week (it's currently bayed in BG.) and explain about the price increase and I'm covered there BUT the MSRP on my buyers order was an approximation and the new figure is 1k over that. I'm like no way, we have a signed out the door number. He says nope it's an approximation. I'm so livid I say forget it sell the car to someone else and get your profit. So the manager calls today to explain the same thing stating " you do understand the word approximate, right". I would've probably relented up until this point. He says they'll send me a check for the difference of my Porsche trade and cash value whatever that means and that he doesn't want to sell me the car because he doesn't need the headache of a bad survey.
So here I am. Stunned. Without my Porsche I pretraded for who knows what they'll actually send. Prices in the Z51 have increased. I'm probably a jackass for pushing it but in my book a deal is a deal. Just dumbfounded. Not sure the vette was meant to be. I just hate having invested 3 months of my life into this car.

I'd call him back and say your trade in price agreement was approximate as well and just went it went up 5k for wasting 3 months of my time.

Or BRING ME MY CAR BACK..

Last edited by hawkgfr; 03-20-2014 at 04:55 PM.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:56 PM
ATX-C7
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by hawkgfr
I'd call him back and say your trade in price agreement was approximate as well and just went it went up 5k for wasting 3 months of my time.

That's actually a good one--you really should. They changed the rules, so you might as well also...
Old 03-20-2014, 04:56 PM
tg07
Advanced

Originally Posted by hawkgfr

Old 03-20-2014, 04:57 PM
hope2
Safety Car

Received 358 Likes on 241 Posts

I walked away over $500, when you are done your done. d--kheads.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:00 PM
TX Navy Vet
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sorry you got pooched over.
There is no doubt that sucks.

I know telling you my deal worked out won't make anything better but folks should know you shouldn't say never or always....

for example.... "never do a pre-trade".

I did and it went flawless. I got the sales contract the day I traded my car in and ordered my C7 (November 1, 2013).

When I picked up the car on January 15, 2014, the sales contract I signed had all the exact same numbers on it. This was at a dealer that would sell every C7 they received on their lot within 24 hours of it's arrival. They could have done the same with mine for a few more bucks but they didn't.

The morale of the story? All dealers are businesses and all businesses are in it to make money. But... some dealers (and more than you may think) have integrity and understand it's cheaper to make customers happy so you keep them and they return, than to spend mega $$$$ to get a new customer.

Last edited by TX Navy Vet; 03-20-2014 at 05:37 PM.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:04 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by ATX-C7
Go to dealerrater.com and leave a bad review, go to google+ leave bad review, BBB file complaint, and I'd tell dealer they have one last chance before your contact your atty. ... .
Screw one last chance. As I was hanging up the phone from this dealer, my next second's action would be to call my attorney and let him call the dealer to settle the deal legally.

THEN, file a complaint with the BBB, contact the local newspaper if they have a 'Problem Solver', and only file on-line reviews if ultimately warranted.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:26 PM
SDLaw
Instructor

I'd tell him, "I'll give you a chance to make this right before you have a negative survey, negative reviews and a lawsuit." His choice.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:30 PM
NicolasKL
Instructor

He says they'll send me a check for the difference of my Porsche trade and cash value whatever that means car.
When a dealer says cash value they're usually talking about actual cash value or ACV, and they mean the actual number they put on your trade, which frequently isn't the same number they showed you for trade in value.

I'd be worried that they're going to say something like "We 'showed' you 40k dollars for your trade in but the cash value was actually 35k, the other 5k we were just taking a hit on the profit on the Vette", which means you'll be getting 5k less than you thought you were.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:32 PM
NicolasKL
Instructor

Also, you have no leg to stand on regarding a lawsuit. I can't believe so many people are recommending it. The society we live in, I guess.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:35 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,213 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by jackhall99
Screw one last chance. As I was hanging up the phone from this dealer, my next second's action would be to call my attorney and let him call the dealer to settle the deal legally.

THEN, file a complaint with the BBB, contact the local newspaper if they have a 'Problem Solver', and only file on-line reviews if ultimately warranted.
and TV station....The one that doesn't have his advertisements. Lots of local channels have those consumer helper deals going. Just a smidge of the wrong pub cost more that 900 bucks to the dealer imo...

Last edited by hawkgfr; 03-20-2014 at 05:40 PM.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:37 PM
01VETTECOP
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

Call the local paper and advise them of the events !
Old 03-20-2014, 05:40 PM
SDLaw
Instructor

Originally Posted by NicolasKL
Also, you have no leg to stand on regarding a lawsuit. I can't believe so many people are recommending it. The society we live in, I guess.
How does he have no leg to stand on? If they have an agreement or contract and a party unilaterally changes the terms.....
Old 03-20-2014, 05:41 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 3,994 Likes on 1,678 Posts

Default YELP them!

That stinks to say the least. I'd be pissed too, and likely told them to go pound sand and stick their $1k where the sun doesn't shine...oh, yeah, and that I'm going to SPEND their $1k telling everyone I know that they are dirtballs and not to trust them. If you haven't yet, you should leave them a negative review (like your original post) on YELP. They already have a bad rep there:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/maher-chevrolet-st-petersburg

I DO look at YELP reviews before visiting a dealer or restaurant and it DOES sway my decision. I have delt with negatively reviewed dealers before on YELP, but I've gone in armed knowing they would try and screw me.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:44 PM
NicolasKL
Instructor

Originally Posted by SDLaw
How does he have no leg to stand on? If they have an agreement or contract and a party unilaterally changes the terms.....
They have an agreement that states the MSRP was "APPROX" and the actual MSRP ended up being $995 more.

Get notified of new replies

To Just walked away after 3 months of waiting over $995

Old 03-20-2014, 05:46 PM
SDLaw
Instructor

Originally Posted by NicolasKL
They have an agreement that states the MSRP was "APPROX" and the actual MSRP ended up being $995 more.
I must have missed that part, I didn't read every single post, my bad.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:15 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Old 03-20-2014, 06:30 PM
MikeMaj82
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Said every Republican ever.

I've never even heard of a pre-trade. That sounds the same as selling your car privately, handing over the keys, and not getting a check from then until later on..

Quick Reply: Just walked away after 3 months of waiting over $995