Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z51 order cancelled

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 12:33 AM
MikeMaj82
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow I remember reading about the price increase on the new Stingrays and the article said it wouldn't affect buyers who had one on order before the price increase took affect.
Old 03-18-2014, 01:04 AM
2 Ag R8Cs
Race Director

Location: Retired Suffolk County Police Dept NY South Carolina
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeMaj82
Wow I remember reading about the price increase on the new Stingrays and the article said it wouldn't affect buyers who had one on order before the price increase took affect.
That is why I suspect the dealers up to no good. The OP placed the order in Dec and now a few weeks after the march 3rd increase the dealer comes up with a story about problems with the order. If the dealer returns the deposit and the C7 arrives with a pre- march 3 price the dealer can sell the car and pocket the $3,200
Old 03-18-2014, 01:15 AM
2 Ag R8Cs
Race Director

Originally Posted by Gary '09 C6
acknowledged...

I'd wager it would cost at least that much to pursue a claim against the dealer, and then have to worry
about them messin' with the vehicle if successful. And the process could be prolonged and the OP is still
without his car...not a winning "bet" to me.

Unfortunate for the OP, yes. But the dealer has already told him to get lost !
It will not cost the OP a penny to contact Marissa @ Chevy cust serv. If the dealer is lying there are was to handle it legally without costing the OP money.

he can contact the ADA, or maybe local media, I do not think that the dealer would want bad publicity.

I am assuming that the order may still be in the system and if that is true walking away will put over 3 grand in the dealers pocket. I personally would not walk away without a fight, with me it is a matter of principle.
Old 03-18-2014, 04:55 AM
pcara
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1ccrider
I just went through the same thing, I ordered my z51 1/9/2014. Got a Call Friday from my Smithtown N.Y. stealer, saying I was responsible for the price increase, I went and talked with the sales manager. Even though my sales contract protects me from a price increase, He said he would never build my car unless I paid the new price. I feel like I was screwed!!! good luck Chris
I checked out Smithtown also and got a bad feeling. In January they wanted $5000.00 over sticker so I laughed and walked out. Purchased Z51 from 112 in Medford. Sticker price, no pressure, and feel confident that I will see within a month or so. I have never read so many horror stories regarding dealerships. Bought many new cars over the years,+ or- 20 and had one problem with a supra. 1 call to Toyota and it was promptly taken care of. Chevy needs to slap the hands of these thieves.Hope it works out for you.
Old 03-18-2014, 05:03 AM
pcara
Advanced

Originally Posted by vetracer1
I ordered a z51 in December last year from a local dealer. Just got a call from my salesmen that the zone man was in and said they weren't going to build it! No explanation!

Next thing I know there is a big price inrease. I checked with another dealer and they told me they could order me a Z51, of course it's the new price.

Has anyone had a similar experience???
I haven't but sounds really shady. Good to expose these thieves and maybe they will change their ways when people stop walking through their doors. Sorry to hear about your experience. I would contact Chevy and complain. I don't think they promote that type of salesmanship. Good luck!
Old 03-18-2014, 06:56 AM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

Thanks for the help. That's what I get for trying to support my local dealership! When I pointed out we had a contract, which stated "Agreed price if vehicle is new motor vehicle no additional charges will be imposed or collected due to changes in manufactures list price" . He stated he would never build my car. So basically I'm screwed.. chris
I think there are four routes to take: contact the Suffolk County DA's office and ask them to investigate criminal fraud by the dealer; contact the NYS Attorney General's office and ask them to investigate whether the dealer has violated NYS's consumer protection and franchise laws; contact GM and complain about franchisee practices; and lastly, contact the dealership's owner - he may be out of the loop - and give him a chance to make things right.
If it were me, because I hate dishonest business practices, I would start with #4, and if I got no satisfaction, I would then do #1-3 simultaneously.
The legal entity is: SMITHTOWN CHEVROLET, LLC, 390 E JERICHO TPKE, SMITHTOWN, NEW YORK, 11787

Last edited by LIStingray; 03-18-2014 at 07:07 AM.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:03 AM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

Think big and go for it! I fooled around with the small dealers for a few weeks then got it done through a large dealer.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:55 AM
Op.TechC3
Instructor

No order number, no car , no deal...you were just on a waiting list with a dealer who had no allocations!! Sorry man.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:39 AM
1ccrider
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LIStingray
I think there are four routes to take: contact the Suffolk County DA's office and ask them to investigate criminal fraud by the dealer; contact the NYS Attorney General's office and ask them to investigate whether the dealer has violated NYS's consumer protection and franchise laws; contact GM and complain about franchisee practices; and lastly, contact the dealership's owner - he may be out of the loop - and give him a chance to make things right.
If it were me, because I hate dishonest business practices, I would start with #4, and if I got no satisfaction, I would then do #1-3 simultaneously.
The legal entity is: SMITHTOWN CHEVROLET, LLC, 390 E JERICHO TPKE, SMITHTOWN, NEW YORK, 11787
L.I. Stingray Good advice thank you Chris
Old 03-18-2014, 09:36 AM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,992 Likes on 1,149 Posts

Originally Posted by Op.TechC3
No order number, no car , no deal...you were just on a waiting list with a dealer who had no allocations!! Sorry man.
Sums it up perfect. Had you got an order number prior to the increase you would have been good to go.

Call Les Stanford in Detriot and ask for Dennis Tap.

OR do you have someone who can give you an employee or supplier discount number?

Also why don't you post what you want? Lot of eyes in the forum never know who may spot what you want and tell you where that car is!!!!

Sometimes you got to be proactive to work as many angles as you can.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:40 AM
fredl11
Safety Car

Received 69 Likes on 32 Posts

HOLY SNIT!! That sucks Hopefully one of the NE big dealers can find what you want.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:11 AM
1ccrider
Advanced

Also why don't you post what you want? Lot of eyes in the forum never know who may spot what you want and tell you where that car is!!!

Good idea Greg, Does Les Stanfod honor supplier discount on a Z51? I am eligible for that discount. And as far as the car itself goes, After probably way to much research..... 1LT Z51 gray, black int. dual mode, and black rims. thanks again to all who are helping...chris

Last edited by 1ccrider; 03-18-2014 at 10:17 AM.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:29 AM
Sailfun
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by 2 Ag R8Cs
That is the worst thing he can do.

He ordered in December. There was a $3,200 price increase on March 3. Any car order before the 3rd is locked in at the old price. If he gets his deposit back and orders at another dealer it will cost him $3,200.

As long as he does not get his deposit back he has legal options to pursue, maybe even sue the dealer for the $3,200
Again, small claims court. This assumes he has a signed contract in his hand. He can sue for the difference in price and will win.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:04 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

I ordered a z51 in December last year from a local dealer
FYI; had the order been placed through a dealer with an allocation, it would be in your garage by now.
I get sick hearing all these stories about some dealers not being straight-up about their allocation status. Why not be up-front with a customer?
Old 03-18-2014, 04:49 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by LIStingray
The dealer never put his order into the system. Had he done that he would have an order number and be in under the old price. Dealer took deposit and had him on a waiting list for a Z-51 allocation.

The dealer should have built his car and had it in the order bank in case of price increase.
Old 03-18-2014, 05:04 PM
bluestreak63
Safety Car

Received 287 Likes on 173 Posts

If his order wasn't submitted into the system because the dealer had no allocation, then you can't really blame the dealer, unless he said he had allocation and would put it in the system just to get the deal done and the deposit in and he really didn't have any allocation.

If you knew he couldn't order it until he had allocation and then GM throws down a 3200 price increase, it's not the dealers fault. If the situation was reversed, as a dealer would you want to eat 3200?

You don't want to **** off your local dealer, aren't you going to be going there for service?
Old 03-18-2014, 05:31 PM
2 Ag R8Cs
Race Director

Originally Posted by bluestreak63
If his order wasn't submitted into the system because the dealer had no allocation, then you can't really blame the dealer, unless he said he had allocation and would put it in the system just to get the deal done and the deposit in and he really didn't have any allocation.

If you knew he couldn't order it until he had allocation and then GM throws down a 3200 price increase, it's not the dealers fault. If the situation was reversed, as a dealer would you want to eat 3200?

You don't want to **** off your local dealer, aren't you going to be going there for service?
I lived in Hauppague a few miles from that dealer and I know the area well. there are probably close to two dozen Chevy dealers within a 15 mile radius.

Back in 96 I bought my CE museum delivery for a dealer on Rt 112 in Port Jefferson. Back in 96 he was one of the largest if not the largest Vette dealers in the USA. I moved to SC 7 1/2 years ago and do not know if he is still in business.
I was one of the first few museum deliveries in 96 and the dealer screwed things up, I had my car sitting in the museum delivery area of the museum for almost a week, it all paid for and I almost did not get it. To top things off when I called the dealership to fax the needed documents they were extremely rude to me on the phone and told me they were to busy to fax the paperwork ended to get the car. I was so ticked off then and my anger is still there after almost 20 years later.

Get notified of new replies

To Z51 order cancelled

Old 03-18-2014, 05:32 PM
1ccrider
Advanced

Originally Posted by bluestreak63

Good point bluestreak. The one about service. Made many calls today possible rick conti may be able to help me out. still waiting from a call from lessford as well. Im just going to cut my losses get my deposit back and focus on getting the car I want ... cheers Chris
Old 03-18-2014, 05:53 PM
ATX-C7
Melting Slicks

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Good point bluestreak. The one about service. Made many calls today possible rick conti may be able to help me out. still waiting from a call from lessford as well. Im just going to cut my losses get my deposit back and focus on getting the car I want ... cheers Chris
GREAT IDEA! I applaud you for taking charge and getting things done
Old 03-18-2014, 05:57 PM
2 Ag R8Cs
Race Director

If you wait to get your deposit back you can still order a car from another dealer and preserve the right to take legal action.

If it were me I would order from a forum dealer but refuse to accept a refund on your deposit. That way you can have it both ways, get the car from another dealer and not give up your option to take the dealer to small claims court.
And sue ton recover the $3,200 you lost.

If worst comes to worst and you lose the small claims suit for $3,200 you will still be entitled to the deposit refund.

Last edited by 2 Ag R8Cs; 03-18-2014 at 06:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Z51 order cancelled