Sponsored by:

YEP...my C7 review

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 01:33 PM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default YEP...my C7 review

Around 10am my phone rings and it's my buddy telling me to look outside, well what do you know it's a C7. My buddy does a lot of press and this car was provided to HIM so I was not able to drive it but did get to experience every other facet.

Let's start with the car itself, an early build (around 1100) in Torch red with a Kalahari gut auto non Z51. I don't know enough about the various options but it seemed to be well equipped.

The fit and finish was good, not great. Overall the outside still hasn't grown on me, maybe the Z will with its very different appearance. The biggest negative was sticking my fist in between the tire and fender, hopefully that has been remedied with the later builds. Also the belt line seems a little too high.

The interior is fantastic, the drivers seat gives the feeling of a cockpit where everything is seemingly ergonomically correct. The materials and alignment was excellent, I did not really play too much with the tech but I'll assume it was user friendly and well thought out. The biggest complaint I had about the inside is the rear vision sucks, other than that it was all good.

The ride from the passenger seat was very comfy, again the seats did their job well and I'm 6"1' and 255-60 so not a small guy. He used different modes while driving, the touring put me to sleep which I guess is what it's supposed to do and the track was an obvious positive difference. It was hard to get a real feel for throttle response and braking but it all felt as it should so no disappointments there.

It was only a 15 minute ride so not too much to go on but overall I was quite impressed, I've owned enough cars in my day to say this one ranks very well.

I'm not one to speak of bang for the buck for a $100 hooker can be as good as a $1000 one, but all in all it is a good way to describe the car.

It has its shortcomings which for me mostly revolve around the styling but the car itself felt wonderful, for you guys who have one you've got a winner! The Z will be the car for me should I not get the NSX, can't afford both these days.

Lastly (and don't hate me for saying it) I still think that the wide body C6 models have a better design as antiquated as some might think, that's JMO.

Old 03-16-2014, 01:49 PM
HogwildC7
Melting Slicks

Received 132 Likes on 97 Posts

I still love the C6 legroom.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:18 PM
kp
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 96 Posts

I think the 427 vert is a great looking car, and for what I've seen them selling for a pretty good bargain used as well.

Was tempted to pick up a used 427 vert up after Christmas and wait out the C7 hoopla but after having two C6s I would be reminded pretty quick why I sold the '12 GS after 9 months - it just wasnt anything really new compared to the '08 C6 I had. Except for eating tires and scraping the front fascia everywhere (daily driver), did look good though.

Granted I've never owned a C6 Z06, dont have any use for something like that, but after a month and 1100 miles I dont think I could go back to a C6. Unless I wanted to mod the heck out of one.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:27 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 708 Posts

Both great cars.

I cant believe how much lower and wider your 427 looks in that picture.
Old 03-16-2014, 03:11 PM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
Both great cars.

Should have taken some measurements, the rear deck is notably higher too. Also should have done some wheel well comps.
Old 03-16-2014, 03:33 PM
stevebz06
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 205 Posts

What I notice is how much bigger the front radiator opening is on the C7. With the hood ducting you would think it could have been smaller.
Old 03-16-2014, 03:35 PM
Virtual Geezer
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 188 Likes on 111 Posts

Two gorgeous cars -- and both are undeniably Corvettes.
Old 03-16-2014, 03:43 PM
HalfMoon
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
Both great cars.

I think the width is mostly a photo and angle illusion, the camera is more directly in front of the C6.

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427
Should have taken some measurements, the rear deck is notably higher too. Also should have done some wheel well comps.
My Z51 came in full on 4x4 mode. Whoever set it up barely turned down the suspension adjusters. 20 minutes in the garage on day #2 fixed that.

Originally Posted by stevebz06
What I notice is how much bigger the front radiator opening is on the C7. With the hood ducting you would think it could have been smaller.
More is better, ask any marketing professional.

Dan, I think you hit a lot of good points in your limited time in the car. My wife also immediately noticed that the modes were diferent with regards to the exhaust, and in my case the suspension since I have Z51 + MSRC. If you get a chance to test out an MSRC car I think you will be surprised at the advancement of the technology over what we had in the C6.

Old 03-16-2014, 03:58 PM
ATX-C7
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I'm glad you had the chance to LOOK at one.

At least now you know it's not for you.

Don't know HOW by looking at it, but at least you know.

Last edited by ATX-C7; 03-16-2014 at 04:48 PM.
Old 03-16-2014, 04:21 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Except he didn't drive it.
My buddy does a lot of press and this car was provided to HIM so I was not able to drive it but did get to experience every other facet.
So after all the months of his bitching about the C7 his biggest real complaint after having actually seeing and been in one is that it needs to be lowered?
The biggest negative was sticking my fist in between the tire and fender, hopefully that has been remedied with the later builds. Also the belt line seems a little too high.
Old 03-16-2014, 04:47 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by Virtual Geezer
Two gorgeous cars -- and both are undeniably Corvettes.
Yes two beautiful Vettes
Old 03-16-2014, 05:52 PM
Carnut12
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

From a side view your 427 looks better IMO

Even the front view to me is a draw, the grill I give to the 427 all day long, the headlights C7, and the rest a draw.

If the 427 had the C7 Interior they would not have had to discount like they did.

Nice Pics and review!!! Not sure what is up with the Fanboy's above, he specifically said he drove IN IT for 15 minutes, but did not drive it himself. If you took his post negatively you are the one with issues, not him.

My 2 Cents

Last edited by Carnut12; 03-16-2014 at 05:54 PM.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:56 PM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Originally Posted by BlueOx
Except he didn't drive it.

So after all the months of his bitching about the C7 his biggest real complaint after having actually seeing and been in one is that it needs to be lowered?
If you had turned your reading comprehension button on you would have figured that my biggest complaint is the styling. It is typical of you to seek out the negative in which was a mostly positive review by as you've said someone has bitched about the car, same old OX just a different day.

And p.s., as I also said I couldn't drive it. I'm sure had I pressed my friend to do so he would have let me but that's why we're friends, it's called respect~

Last edited by Big Dan 427; 03-16-2014 at 06:00 PM.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:00 PM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Carnut12
From a side view your 427 looks better IMO

Even the front view to me is a draw, the grill I give to the 427 all day long, the headlights C7, and the rest a draw.

If the 427 had the C7 Interior they would not have had to discount like they did.

Nice Pics and review!!! Not sure what is up with the Fanboy's above, he specifically said he drove IN IT for 15 minutes, but did not drive it himself. If you took his post negatively you are the one with issues, not him.

My 2 Cents
Thanks for your post, I was writing my response when you posted yours so I guess we had the same thought.

As much as I think the 427 interior is satisfactory I do agree with you that the C7's is better.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:33 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427
If you had turned your reading comprehension button on you would have figured that my biggest complaint is the styling. It is typical of you to seek out the negative in which was a mostly positive review by as you've said someone has bitched about the car, same old OX just a different day.

And p.s., as I also said I couldn't drive it. I'm sure had I pressed my friend to do so he would have let me but that's why we're friends, it's called respect~
The biggest negative was sticking my fist in between the tire and fender, hopefully that has been remedied with the later builds.
Jeez danny, I quoted you. You can't even admit to that? BTW, I was just correcting someone's mistaken impression that you had driven it.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:41 PM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

I just reread and did not see where someone mentioned I drove it.

I would have thought you would be happy that I spoke highly, I still can't get past the overall looks but like with everything looks are subjective. I was very impressed, wish I could have drove it.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:42 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,220 Likes on 831 Posts

Originally Posted by ATX-C7
I'm glad you had the chance to LOOK at one.

At least now you know it's not for you.

Don't know HOW by looking at it, but at least you know.

Don't worry, he can tell because he is in a Corvette already....

That one on the left he OWNS.

Dan, nice crappy Corvette you have... I hope you can fend off the deep depression having to drive such an out dated creature.

The red one looks nice too though I'll admit I prefer Victory over Torch red a smidge..

ATX hope yours doesn't get caught up in the weather...

Get notified of new replies

To YEP...my C7 review

Old 03-16-2014, 07:54 PM
george vee
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,074 Likes on 532 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Those are 2 beautiful vettes.

I took these pics on 9/27/13 when I picked up my C7

Last edited by george vee; 03-16-2014 at 07:57 PM.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:56 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,220 Likes on 831 Posts

Originally Posted by george vee

Very nice...the both.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:00 PM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Originally Posted by george vee

I remember very well your post, one of the earliest. George why the front plate on the C6, state requirement.

Your car looks great!!

Quick Reply: YEP...my C7 review