Sponsored by:

Automatic transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 05:55 PM
rstrait
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Automatic transmission?

I had shoulder surgery a month and a half ago and when I took my C6 out a couple days ago I needed to assist the 1-2 shift with my left hand because of the pain. Not knowing for 100% sure whether I'll be able to shift a manual in a few months has me in a quandary. I really want a C7 Z51 for the upcoming driving season. If I order a manual now there is the risk of not being able to drive it. If I order an automatic now I run the risk of wishing I had a manual, especially if I'm able to shift the manual. If I wait until the shoulder issue has become clear I'll be getting the C7 towards the end of the driving season here and I might as well get a 2015 for the 2015 driving season. I know the sensible thing to do would be to wait for 2015 but dammit, I want a C7 this year! Any thoughts on this?
Old 03-12-2014, 06:03 PM
ATX-C7
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Then quit all of those what if games in your mind, order a 2014, and be done with it!

Get what you think is best--get the auto who cares.

Better to be auto than have NO car.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:41 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Got to work that shoulder or it will never be right. There will be pain, go to rehab. I guess an automatic might be in order. Save on options and trade when your shoulder is better or pain be dammed, I'm going to shift into another gear. Feel for you.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:50 PM
JudgeNjury
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I heard next months bash will announce what's new. For 2015
Old 03-12-2014, 06:56 PM
Shortimer
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

If it helps, I've owned a C5 and a C6 with 6-speed manuals. I ordered my C7 with the A6 automatic. I went with the A6 because I had three people who wanted my Corvette until they learned it was a 6-speed.
I won't go down that road again. Due to the weather here in New England I only have 125 miles on the car. Just waiting for nice weather to put some miles on it. I'm sure I'll enjoy the A6.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:01 PM
fireinv38
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Default automatic

This is 2014 not 1966. my Grand Sport has auto and love it. car is an "animal". in north jersey the traffic is unbearable and stick is not practical. out of my 7 vettes 3 were stick. tired of clutch, shifting, and having left leg hurt. only my opinion. i used to shoot film in my 35mm cameras now it's only digital. film is not better, either is stick.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:17 PM
rotherd31
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Five of my six prior vettes have been sticks. Four of my last DD's have been sticks. Last Sept. I bought an auto BMW. I don't miss shifting. My C-7 came in last month and it's an auto. Different strokes for different folks, but I personally have no regrets. If you have to own a 2014 C-7, then the safe bet is an auto. You KNOW you can drive an auto with your shoulder. The unknown is how your shoulder recovers. If there's still doubt in your mind about an auto, then be PATIENT and see if the shoulder comes back by late summer and then pickup an inventory C-7 or order a 2015.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:54 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

I sold my C6 six speed manual. Boy do I miss shifting. The art of selecting gears specific to the current conditions, love it. Can't wait to acquire the seven speed, (rev match, hill hold) should be fun fun!!
Old 03-12-2014, 09:06 PM
GreginNH
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Spend a few days commuting in bumper to bumper stop and go traffic and you will not miss a stick. My 2013 GS was a stick but I ordered an auto for my C7. Plus my wife can drive it when I have too many margaritas!
Old 03-12-2014, 09:18 PM
mksz51
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 95 Posts

The post about the need to work the shoulder, use PT, and rehab is spot on. This kind of stuff hurts but you have to work through that if you ever want to be "normal" again. How old are you? As you age it does take much longer to heal. I've broken collarbones badly twice secondary to bicycle crashes - 6-9 months to heal if you're in your mid-50's plus but it does eventually heal if you do the work. Your situation is temporary - the car is more "permanent". Get the car you really want - even if it takes some patience or pain to accomplish that goal.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:16 PM
Crossed Flags Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 493 Likes on 276 Posts

Default Order a right hand drive, Euro version....

and shift with your left hand!
Old 03-12-2014, 11:41 PM
Art-2008
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can You Still Drive a Stick Shift

I think your doctor and physical therapists can give you a much better answer than anyone on this forum. Many doctors I have met are also car enthusiasts [I suspect income has something to do with that].

Good Luck.......................Art
Old 03-13-2014, 10:50 AM
NaplesDoc427
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually traded in my beloved 427 Vert for an auto C7 vert, the major reason being I was tired of the manual, and even though only had a small amount of time with the C7, loved every second of it and the automatic!
Old 03-13-2014, 11:58 AM
beepster
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

Contrary to many opinions, there is no disgrace in owning an auto. The majority of new vettes are sold w/ them. Like it or not, the paddle shifters are the wave of the future. I drove my MN6 C6 Callaway for almost 6 wonderful yrs but vowed that my new C7 would be an auto.

Having said all that, the bottom line is get what YOU want...even if it means waiting a bit. Better than having regrets later. Good luck!
Old 03-13-2014, 12:04 PM
Glenmcp
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 328 Posts

The safe play is the automatic. If you are a risk taker go with the manual. Your choice. It hope it works out for you.

Last edited by Glenmcp; 03-13-2014 at 02:22 PM.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:13 PM
Bobs C7 Vette
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Daily driver or toy?

My 2 cents. If it is your daily driver then an auto may make sense. If it is your weekend toy you may miss the manual. I just picked my C7 up 2 days ago and it will be my weekend toy. The manual is a blast and really enjoyed flipping through the gears on a beautiful day with the top off. If I was sitting in traffic on the way to work every day I would probably think differently.

Bob
Old 03-13-2014, 01:02 PM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

You sound like you are a manual trans guy. If that is the case, rehab the shoulder and get a stick-best people to ask are the PTs in rehab about long range ability with the shoulder. If you get the auto and your should turns out OK, you will have a huge case of buyer's remorse. If you get the stick you have a shot at the whole ball of wax. If you can afford to eat a couple of grand and you can't drive it, sell it and then get the auto.

Get notified of new replies

To Automatic transmission?

Old 03-13-2014, 03:19 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,011 Likes on 2,891 Posts

Originally Posted by rstrait
I had shoulder surgery a month and a half ago and when I took my C6 out a couple days ago I needed to assist the 1-2 shift with my left hand because of the pain. Not knowing for 100% sure whether I'll be able to shift a manual in a few months has me in a quandary. I really want a C7 Z51 for the upcoming driving season. If I order a manual now there is the risk of not being able to drive it. If I order an automatic now I run the risk of wishing I had a manual, especially if I'm able to shift the manual. If I wait until the shoulder issue has become clear I'll be getting the C7 towards the end of the driving season here and I might as well get a 2015 for the 2015 driving season. I know the sensible thing to do would be to wait for 2015 but dammit, I want a C7 this year! Any thoughts on this?
It was a bit frustrating and discouraging to me too after shoulder surgery for at least 2 to 3 weeks out during rehab. I thought; what the heck, this thing still is sore! What I didn't realize was that it would take the time and the continued rehab to get it better. Depending on which type of shoulder surgery you had, will be different in it's residual pain from rehab. It just takes time is what I learned. As far as which model of C7 to buy? Shoot, only you can make that call. But I wouldn't make that call under the duress and pain of post-surgery healing and rehab time. Good luck to you in both decisions!
Old 03-13-2014, 03:27 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe;1586396357..... What I didn't realize was that it would [B
take the time and the continued rehab to get it better[/B]. Depending on which type of shoulder surgery you had, will be different in it's residual pain from rehab. .... As far as which model of C7 to buy? Shoot, only you can make that call. But I wouldn't make that call under the duress and pain of post-surgery healing and rehab time. Good luck to you in both decisions!
While I disagree with some of your comments, I agree 100% with you here.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:35 PM
kdepew
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by fireinv38
This is 2014 not 1966. my Grand Sport has auto and love it. car is an "animal". in north jersey the traffic is unbearable and stick is not practical. out of my 7 vettes 3 were stick. tired of clutch, shifting, and having left leg hurt. only my opinion. i used to shoot film in my 35mm cameras now it's only digital. film is not better, either is stick.
It is 2014 and a stick is still more fun to drive. You are more in control. Some like that and consider it fun. Others consider it a chore. The driving experience of a stick is very different than an automatic. Some like it. Some don't.

My left leg doesn't hurt when driving a stick, even in heavy traffic. If your leg really does hurt, then it sounds like an automatic makes sense.

If the OP likes driving manuals and his doctor says he will heal, he should buy a manual.

Last edited by kdepew; 03-13-2014 at 03:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Automatic transmission?