Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Programming POI's into 2014 Nav. system

Old 03-12-2014, 12:37 PM
xraytom1
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Programming POI's into 2014 Nav. system

Has anybody had successful experience with programming a memory stick to put personal POI's into the Nav system? I've followed the directions in saving the .csv file, it finds it, and I click on download but I can never find it. System says the address book is empty.
Old 05-17-2014, 12:15 AM
Yellow68conv
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm having the same issue. Can anyone post a sample POI in the correct format? Mine keeps getting rejected and I think I'm following the instruction manual precisely.
Old 05-17-2014, 01:38 AM
c5eddiem
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Read this thread:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...assistant.html

I have been working on this for a while. Once I discovered some pages were missing from the manual, and that the sample file they give you from customer support is wrong, I did figure out how to create a file of POIs. I explained it to them!

Waiting for a response from up the ladder at customer service.

The files I included in the above thread work, but the nav system seems to only want to load POIs within about 100 miles of your location.

Feel free to PM me...

Ed

Ps. Make sure you have no other usb or sd card plugged in! Your POIs will show up under POIs not in the address book.

pps. where did you find instructions on how to format .csv file? they are not in the infotainment manual.

Last edited by c5eddiem; 05-17-2014 at 08:41 AM.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:24 PM
xraytom1
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts

I worked with several folks in customer service and engineers for 3 weeks and they finally told me that the directions for loading POI's won't work. They couldn't get it to work either and said that they were going to delete this part from the manual. They said that the only thing they could guess is that it was meant to copy from one Nav system to another. What are the odds of that? So now, I'm adding addresses to my contact list on my iPhone and use that for address input, which is actually pretty simple.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:26 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,676 Likes on 2,898 Posts

Originally Posted by xraytom1
I'm adding addresses to my contact list on my iPhone and use that for address input, which is actually pretty simple.
Same, except on my Android, seems to be the quickest way to go about things.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:39 PM
Yellow68conv
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Kracka
Same, except on my Android, seems to be the quickest way to go about things.
I'm having no luck getting POIs into the nav system on my C7. It is harder than it should be and it reminds me of programming in CPM or MS-DOS. It is even more annoying because this is trivial in the least expensive Toyota, Nissan, or Garman portable unit.

Here is what I received from gmexpert.com:

The following is the information I received from my resource:

Have the customer remove the spaces between the long&lat.
-110.724733,43.782220,"Jenny Lake Lodge"

Additionally ensure that they are not in the root of the usb drive and are in the myPOIs folder instead.
Path example
Device > myPOIs > .....csv

If he has already received the prompt to download the POIs, we will want to change the search area for the pois.

By default the system is looking nearby. This is only looking within a 150 -250 radius. On the top right hand of the poi listing screen is a button that says "nearby." The customer will select this and a new list of options will display to the left. In this case we wil select the option that says "another location."

Have the customer just enter the state of Wyoming. This will now search within wyoming for this pois. At the bottom of the poi list (categories) he will see Mypois. Select this and the pois should now be listed.

Would also recommend that the customer test local locations to test this feature for less steps. But if the location is out of state or across country he will be required to change how it looks for the poi by location (area).

Note: That is the response from my resource, almost verbatim. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. Good luck

Ideas?

Thanks!
Old 06-13-2014, 11:17 PM
c5eddiem
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Yellow68

if you go to my thread referred to above, you can download a few POI files to try.

they DO work, everyone who has tried the files gets it to work, but only some POIs load.

still researching,

ed

xraytom1, did you try my files? the format is correct and they do load correctly (just not all POIs load!). the folks at Customer Service confirmed that my "corrections to the file and valid directions" were right! not even a thank you, though... I guess my CS guys haven't talked to your CS guys!
After phone CS, forum CS, and a document provided to my service manager, I hoped for a call from a software guy,but...no response.

Last edited by c5eddiem; 06-13-2014 at 11:25 PM.
Old 06-14-2014, 03:21 PM
Yellow68conv
Intermediate

Originally Posted by c5eddiem
Yellow68

if you go to my thread referred to above, you can download a few POI files to try.

they DO work, everyone who has tried the files gets it to work, but only some POIs load.

still researching,

ed

xraytom1, did you try my files? the format is correct and they do load correctly (just not all POIs load!). the folks at Customer Service confirmed that my "corrections to the file and valid directions" were right! not even a thank you, though... I guess my CS guys haven't talked to your CS guys!
After phone CS, forum CS, and a document provided to my service manager, I hoped for a call from a software guy,but...no response.
If I had to do it over again I'm not sure I'd order the nav package. The dated interface is clumsy compared to the other brands and my Garmin portable, as discussed above. In addition, the blue/gray daylight background is very hard to see with the top down. If you want to read the name of a passing street you have to come in and focus for a long time. The bright contrast displays on cars from other manufacturers and Garmin portables are much better.

All of this could be fixed in software but I'm not optimistic given GM's lack of agility on items like the start switch.

Get notified of new replies

To Programming POI's into 2014 Nav. system

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Programming POI's into 2014 Nav. system