Sponsored by:

My Z51 tires have Cracks all over

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 12:05 PM
Dan12
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gthal
You are absolutely right... cracked tires ARE a problem and should be replaced.

Also, IMO, GM should not be shipping cars with Z51 PSS tires in freezing temps for this very reason. As long as they replace problem tires, it is their issue and no big deal.

However, from what we know today, it is an expected characteristic of the rubber compound and not a flaw. I do not believe Michelin got it "wrong" as you state. The reason the rubber cracks in freezing temps is for the very reason you stated above... the car is meant to be tracked and the rubber compound that is best suited for that purpose is the same rubber compound that cannot deal with freezing temps.

Now, could there be another problem with the tires? Maybe. We don't know yet... what we know is that GM is warning about the impact of temperature on the rubber compound (as does Goodyear, Bridgestone, Yokohama) so what we are seeing is completely consistent with that for the moment. Time will tell if there is another issue.
Hopefully you're right but we've seen various degrees of the cracking. The pic just above isn't that bad but some that arrived with larger cracks toward the center of the tire look much worse. Also some do and some don't so something isn't right.

I tend to put on very low miles so tires can last me a long time. Hate to see what they look like in 5-7 years?

Luckily its a part that can be totally replaced vs. say paint issues or something the dealer would, "correct"

I'm sure Mich is looking very closely at it.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:38 AM
450hp mike9
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So for those that have cracks what has GM done so far. There is another post that people are talking about driving in the snow. They are totally unaware of the cracking problem in cold climates.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:40 AM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by 450hp mike9
So for those that have cracks what has GM done so far. There is another post that people are talking about driving in the snow. They are totally unaware of the cracking problem in cold climates.
They aren't driving in the snow with PSS If they are, their bigger issue will be the telephone pole they slide into.

WHen I picked up my car, it was on a level parking lot with about 1/2 inch of packed snow. I could not get the car to even move... a little push to get on dry pavement was needed.

Quick Reply: My Z51 tires have Cracks all over