C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need advice regarding FOBS

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 12:08 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

Default I need advice regarding FOBS

...picking car up this Thursday. I've read the owner's manual in advance, seen the 'how to' videos here on the forum, read a couple threads of FOB scenarios that went bad, etc. I remain somewhat confused. Can someone, in as few words as possible, give me the rundown on how to completely avoid any snafus? What is unique about this system? Can you simply put something on your key ring with all the other keys and cards? The last thing I want to hear is, "If you would have kept your C5, you wouldn't have all these problems!"
Old 03-11-2014, 12:17 PM
Kyflyer
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 66 Posts

Addressing only the FOBs in our C7 w/auto tran they appear to be identical. There are no identifying numbers, marks, or any other method of telling one from the other, but they work fine. There are 1 and 2 settings on the driver door panel. And, it will recognize each FOB individually, so they are unique. Set the the seat to a setting that is comfortable and push the 1 button with the set button and see if it recognizes that FOB. If it does then it is the #1 FOB. Remove that FOB from the area and try the same procedure with the other FOB using the 2 setting on the door panel. If it works then you are there. When we are together with our FOBs it seems to confuse the system occasionally, but generally it works just fine. There are ****ling little glitches with the software, particularly with the infotainment system, but keep working with it via trial and error and here on the forum. There are a myriad threads about it. Good luck.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:18 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 951 Likes on 498 Posts
Tech Contributor

I'm surprised to read this...I would not expect you to read the 90 pct paranoid stuff here and let it unsettle you....LOL

You'll be fine......as far as I'm concerned you have to be pretty OCD to find problems on the car, I've found a few but no more than any other car that is trying to insert features ahead of the code that they wrote for it....in time, the minor speed bumps will straighten out. There are NONE that stop me from having a great time, every time, I drive it.

To answer your question, the 7speed auto exit has glitches, the auto works fine.

Last edited by Glen e; 03-11-2014 at 12:21 PM.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:15 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----

ok, forgot to mention, the car is manual tranny. I assume there is no remote start, correct? I am mainly concerned about the ''won't start' business described in several threads. My salesman will run through everything with me, but the presence of a key and a fob, separating them, and/or leaving them in the car seems odd. For example, on my other 2014 vehicle there is just a fob. It does everything...there is no key. With push button start no key is needed. As long as I am near the car it unlocks when I pull on the handle. The only other way to enter is with the 'keyless entry feature' with a code I punch in on the outside of the door. Keep in mind, I am coming from a C5 straight to C7, I skipped the C6 entirely....no previous experience with a 'no door handle' vette .

And, Glen, ...I can't wait to get it, and I got one helluva deal on a car I didn't have to order, but has everything just the way I would have had I gone through the process! I am the luckiest guy on the planet!
Old 03-11-2014, 01:28 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Maybe.....some day....... I will actually receive my 2nd FOB from my dealer
Old 03-11-2014, 01:59 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyflyer
Addressing only the FOBs in our C7 w/auto tran they appear to be identical. There are no identifying numbers, marks, or any other method of telling one from the other, but they work fine. There are 1 and 2 settings on the driver door panel. And, it will recognize each FOB individually, so they are unique. Set the the seat to a setting that is comfortable and push the 1 button with the set button and see if it recognizes that FOB. If it does then it is the #1 FOB. Remove that FOB from the area and try the same procedure with the other FOB using the 2 setting on the door panel. If it works then you are there. When we are together with our FOBs it seems to confuse the system occasionally, but generally it works just fine. There are ****ling little glitches with the software, particularly with the infotainment system, but keep working with it via trial and error and here on the forum. There are a myriad threads about it. Good luck.
These are almost the same FOB's as the C6. I believe there will be a very small 1 and 2 on the bottoms.
Old 03-11-2014, 03:13 PM
Kyflyer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
These are almost the same FOB's as the C6. I believe there will be a very small 1 and 2 on the bottoms.
No, there is no number on the bottom when you remove the key. We went through this with the dealer last week.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:27 PM
John Harry
Melting Slicks

Received 437 Likes on 270 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by $$$frumnuttin'
Can someone, in as few words as possible, give me the rundown on how to completely avoid any snafus?
1. Read the manual.
2. Replace the fob batteries every 3 years.
3. Keep the fob in your pocket, don't throw it in the car, trunk, etc.
4. Consider turning off auto-lock; just lock it with the fob when you want it locked.
5. Try the keys in the hatch/trunk lock right away; don't wait until you need them and find out they don't work.
6. Replace the car battery before it gets too weak to work properly.
7. If you lose a fob replace it immediately; don't wait until you lose the second one.
8. Print and/or bookmark Elmer's C7 fob stuff:
www.ls2.com/boggs/c7/C7RKEProgramming.pdf
http://www.ls2.com/boggs/c7/C7RKENot...dchecklist.pdf
9. No, the fob does not constantly talk to the car, don't even ask.
10. Read the manual.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:29 PM
sajonf
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No, there is no number on the bottom when you remove the key. We went through this with the dealer last week.
It's on the removable key itself, not in the fob.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:35 PM
Kyflyer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sajonf
It's on the removable key itself, not in the fob.
No, it is not there either. We discussed this with Chris Sweeney with the NCM delivery crew and there is not individual identifier on the FOB or the key. I have the FOB in front of me and went through it with a magnifying glass and a hi intensity LED and there is no 1 or 2 numbers, or any other unique identifier on either FOB.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:40 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 951 Likes on 498 Posts
Tech Contributor

There is def a number here...both of mine are 1’s:
Old 03-11-2014, 06:03 PM
Kyflyer
Burning Brakes

Default C7 FOBs

Name:  FOBS.jpg
Views: 655
Size:  71.8 KB

The FOBs for our C7 have no unique identifiers.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:10 PM
Mecholova
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I picked up my car Friday from the museum and they said that GM told them there's no number but I pointed out they do. It might be they aren't assigned to memory 1 or 2...or might just be they planned on numbering at manufacturing and GM figured it was easier to just grab 2 fobs and program them. Mine show 1 and 2
Attached Images  
Old 03-11-2014, 06:30 PM
Kyflyer
Burning Brakes

We have had ours since November 25, 2013. It appears there is a lack of consistency with the FOBs which seems strange. Ours are working OK now that we have gone through all the electronics, etc. We still have a few issues that have not been resolved to-date, but the dealership has been great about working with us. The issue has been individuals at the dealership really are new to this series of Corvettes and they don't know either.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:44 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Attachment 47774615

The FOBs for our C7 have no unique identifiers.
aha...that helps. So, there is a way to put it on a key ring! It is not isolated from your other keys, correct? This does explain a few things that may be obvious to C6 owners, but not to C5ers. .

Also, the 'key' portion is needed to mechanically get into the vehicle, but since there are no door keyholes GM put one at the back of the car so you can get to the other mechanical door opener that you operate by hand. Have I got that right?

Last edited by $$$frumnuttin'; 03-11-2014 at 07:47 PM.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:52 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by John Harry
1. Read the manual.
2. Replace the fob batteries every 3 years.
3. Keep the fob in your pocket, don't throw it in the car, trunk, etc.
4. Consider turning off auto-lock; just lock it with the fob when you want it locked.
5. Try the keys in the hatch/trunk lock right away; don't wait until you need them and find out they don't work.
6. Replace the car battery before it gets too weak to work properly.
7. If you lose a fob replace it immediately; don't wait until you lose the second one.
8. Print and/or bookmark Elmer's C7 fob stuff:
www.ls2.com/boggs/c7/C7RKEProgramming.pdf
http://www.ls2.com/boggs/c7/C7RKENot...dchecklist.pdf
10. Read the manual.

good stuff, especially #5....also printed out Elmer's great information. BTW, the manual does not show the fob attached to other key rings one may be using...that is a shortcoming just adding to the confusion of all the discussion about the fob separated from the driver or the car.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:09 PM
VETJAZZ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 206 Likes on 146 Posts

Also, the 'key' portion is needed to mechanically get into the vehicle, but since there are no door keyholes GM put one at the back of the car so you can get to the other mechanical door opener that you operate by hand. Have I got that right?
Yes. Just your vanilla ii-V-I

Get notified of new replies

To I need advice regarding FOBS

Old 03-11-2014, 10:11 PM
Kyflyer
Burning Brakes

aha...that helps. So, there is a way to put it on a key ring! It is not isolated from your other keys, correct? This does explain a few things that may be obvious to C6 owners, but not to C5ers. .

Yes.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:04 AM
azvetters
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default fob programming.

[John Harry;1586379032]1. Read the manual.
10. Read the manual]

OK,I need to ask ??????? I have programmed fob # 3 to my Z51 auto.
(short or Long reprogram nearly the same as my C6) after reading -
and rereading the manual it doesn't say if you can or cant set options.
my new fob works fob in pocket she opens doors starts car, and locks-
door when I walk away, for driving & easy exit I fit and hold button# 1.
All is good every thing works fine, you would think these info be in the
manual ????? C5 Manual hold buttons 1 & 2 would give you option # 3-
C6 Manual said up to 4 key fob can be programmed, but #3 & 4 had no options, work like a spare key, if its in the Mamual I'm not seeing it... Hope you can HELP.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:58 PM
John Harry
Melting Slicks

Received 437 Likes on 270 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14

I don't know, Jimmy. Hope somebody with a C7 posts your answer.

Quick Reply: I need advice regarding FOBS