Sponsored by:

C7 VIR review

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 10:33 PM
NeedAVetteForVIR
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default C7 VIR review

Amazing, amazing, amazing... Car ran flawlessly. I think I was the first person to drive a C7 at the "new VIR" after repaving. I was the only C7 at Chin's HPDE last weekend. Some thoughts:

1) I got the track alignment (fyi - specs in the manual are wrong). It felt great and tire wear was very symmetric.

2) I used Cobalt Racing brakes and ran ATE Super Blue - I got them at LG Motorsports - thanks Anthony. I also put the cooling rings in - kind of a PITA. That being said, the brakes have FACE MELTING POWER - I brought out a senior instructor for a ride (he has a C6). Twice he was yelling for me to brake hard at the end of the straights. Both times, I had plenty of room left. At the end of the front straight he claims that his C6 would have been in the weeds. I could have come to a complete stop before going off. I could feel my cheeks pulling off my teeth and I wasn't into the ABS or squealing the tires. So COOL. He was flabbergasted Some people have reported issues with rotor warping? Mine were fine - when I take them off later this week, I'll do a close inspection and see how much pad I ate up.

3) I ran 15W50 Mobil-1. It got pretty warm, but never too hot. Keep an eye on that temp gauge when the weather gets hot.

4) I dropped to 26 PSI per the manual. It sounded low, but in the engineers I trust. The car stuck like freaking glue when the tires were warm. I'd come off the track at 32 PSI hot. Sounds low, but felt great.

5) I never even tried the PTM. That thing can put down power amazingly well. The rear diff is telepathic. I have to admit, I was scared to test it first time out. The grass around the track was wet and muddy and I didn't really want to go off... Next time for sure. In hind sight, I should have. I ran sport and it was sweet. One of the Porsche guys there asked me 3 times how bad the rear end would step out when I got on it coming out of the turns. I kept telling him, it just sticks... he proceeded to tell me that I wasn't giving it enough gas. I felt like telling him he overpaid for an underperforming car but I just chucked and walked away. I'm so glad I sold my Porsche...

6) I could crash over the FIA curbing in the esses and not upset the car. I started by easing out on to them a few inches more every lap - It never got remotely upset. Very unC6 like. Stable as a freaking rock.

7) GT Seats held me beautifully. I was considering upgrading to comp seats...NO WAY. Unnecessary in my opinion for a 6 day/year track car. Not a compromise.

8) Those 2 little black air dams that hand down in front of the front tires are about an inch shorter - they shaved down (under hard braking I guess?). Poor little fellas took a beating. I'll take some pics before I cut the frayed edge off... no one will never know from looking.

9) Times - best was 2:18. Not even CLOSE to it's potential. First and foremost - I'm a cautious intermediate driver and I was taking baby steps towards the limits. There wasn't a single turn that I couldn't have done harder. Second, I never got a complete clean lap. The instructor who I took out, also took some laps behind me in his c6. He said it was everything he could do to keep up. He's a WAY better driver than me with almost the same set up in regard to tire and brake. 148 MPH on the back stretch. I was hitting 120 at the end of the bridge straight before pussin' out and braking...I'll keep probing the limits as I get more comfortable with the car. I have no business going that fast into the uphill esses. I could comfortably cruise through them at 100 without breaking a sweat and staying off the outer FIA curbing.

HOW LONG TILL I CAN GO BACK? By the way, VIR was just repaved. Smooth as glass and they widened several spots that should allow for faster laps than before. Very nicely done IMHO.

My advice: Quit rubbing your pretty little car with a baby diaper and drive that thing at the track - it's made for it. You will be AMAZED.

This car is a shining example of what the American people are capable of making. Simply world class in every way. STRONG WORK GM. GOD BLESS AMERICA.
Attached Images  
Old 03-10-2014, 10:39 PM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by NeedAVetteForVIR
My advice: Quit rubbing your pretty little car with a baby diaper and drive that thing at the track - it's made for it. You will be AMAZED.
Great advice... there is nothing more fun than a track day in a great car

Awesome review!!! Glad the GT seats performed well... I can't wait for my first day out... it's coming soon... early May (still winter here ).
Old 03-10-2014, 10:45 PM
dpb
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Thanks!!

Amazing, amazing, amazing... Car ran flawlessly. I think I was the first person to drive a C7 at the "new VIR" after repaving. I was the only C7 at Chin's HPDE last weekend. Some thoughts:

1) I got the track alignment (fyi - specs in the manual are wrong). It felt great and tire wear was very symmetric.

2) I used Cobalt Racing brakes and ran ATE Super Blue - I got them at LG Motorsports - thanks Anthony. I also put the cooling rings in - kind of a PITA. That being said, the brakes have FACE MELTING POWER - I brought out a senior instructor for a ride (he has a C6). Twice he was yelling for me to brake hard at the end of the straights. Both times, I had plenty of room left. At the end of the front straight he claims that his C6 would have been in the weeds. I could have come to a complete stop before going off. I could feel my cheeks pulling off my teeth and I wasn't into the ABS or squealing the tires. So COOL. He was flabbergasted Some people have reported issues with rotor warping? Mine were fine - when I take them off later this week, I'll do a close inspection and see how much pad I ate up.

3) I ran 15W50 Mobil-1. It got pretty warm, but never too hot. Keep an eye on that temp gauge when the weather gets hot.

4) I dropped to 26 PSI per the manual. It sounded low, but in the engineers I trust. The car stuck like freaking glue when the tires were warm. I'd come off the track at 32 PSI hot. Sounds low, but felt great.

5) I never even tried the PTM. That thing can put down power amazingly well. The rear diff is telepathic. I have to admit, I was scared to test it first time out. The grass around the track was wet and muddy and I didn't really want to go off... Next time for sure. In hind sight, I should have. I ran sport and it was sweet. One of the Porsche guys there asked me 3 times how bad the rear end would step out when I got on it coming out of the turns. I kept telling him, it just sticks... he proceeded to tell me that I wasn't giving it enough gas. I felt like telling him he overpaid for an underperforming car but I just chucked and walked away. I'm so glad I sold my Porsche...

6) I could crash over the FIA curbing in the esses and not upset the car. I started by easing out on to them a few inches more every lap - It never got remotely upset. Very unC6 like. Stable as a freaking rock.

7) GT Seats held me beautifully. I was considering upgrading to comp seats...NO WAY. Unnecessary in my opinion for a 6 day/year track car. Not a compromise.

8) Those 2 little black air dams that hand down in front of the front tires are about an inch shorter - they shaved down (under hard braking I guess?). Poor little fellas took a beating. I'll take some pics before I cut the frayed edge off... no one will never know from looking.

9) Times - best was 2:18. Not even CLOSE to it's potential. First and foremost - I'm a cautious intermediate driver and I was taking baby steps towards the limits. There wasn't a single turn that I couldn't have done harder. Second, I never got a complete clean lap. The instructor who I took out, also took some laps behind me in his c6. He said it was everything he could do to keep up. He's a WAY better driver than me with almost the same set up in regard to tire and brake. 148 MPH on the back stretch. I was hitting 120 at the end of the bridge straight before pussin' out and braking...I'll keep probing the limits as I get more comfortable with the car. I have no business going that fast into the uphill esses. I could comfortably cruise through them at 100 without breaking a sweat and staying off the outer FIA curbing.

HOW LONG TILL I CAN GO BACK? By the way, VIR was just repaved. Smooth as glass and they widened several spots that should allow for faster laps than before. Very nicely done IMHO.

This car is a shining example of what the American people are capable of making. Simply world class in every way. STRONG WORK GM. GOD BLESS AMERICA.
Great write-up!!! Thanks for sharing!! dpb
Old 03-10-2014, 10:51 PM
C7_Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts

Nice post and sounds like an awesome fun time! The C7 rocks on & off the track!

So cool to see a premier edition carvin' away...
Old 03-10-2014, 11:17 PM
stevebz06
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 205 Posts

Yeah, but I bet the Porsches had better sound systems.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:31 PM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by stevebz06
Old 03-10-2014, 11:34 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

nice write-up and great to hear all about it...congrats on your C7 !
Old 03-11-2014, 12:08 AM
firefisher
Advanced

Nice write up. Can't wait to track mine when I get it. Hopefully next month.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:13 AM
VETJAZZ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 206 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary '09 C6
nice write-up and great to hear all about it...congrats on your C7 !
Old 03-11-2014, 12:31 AM
Seapar
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sent a pm about alignment values.
Old 03-11-2014, 02:22 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

That's great to hear! I'm looking forward to getting mine to track.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:10 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by stevebz06
or just plain cost more. Very nice writeup, OP.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:51 AM
s'noJob
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

... I brought out a senior instructor for a ride (he has a C6). Twice he was yelling for me to brake hard at the end of the straights. ...

First and foremost - I'm a cautious intermediate driver and I was taking baby steps towards the limits.
Really.

Old 03-11-2014, 06:08 AM
nh_mark
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Great write up!

-Mark
Old 03-11-2014, 08:30 AM
VERBOTEN
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Can you share your alignment specs that are different from the manual? How did you arrive that they are incorrect? Thanks. I'll be instructing at Mid-Ohio in 6 weeks and still trying to get some miles on the car.

Ken
Old 03-11-2014, 08:55 AM
VatorMan
Team Owner

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06-'10-'11, '15

Originally Posted by s'noJob
Really.

I agree. I know CHIN instructors really well. None of them yell unless you do something stupid. BTW- a lot of my crew were there and said the widening and new pavement were OK-It really needs seasoning and rubber laid down. 2:18 in the green group is pretty good tho.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:12 AM
skipper972
Racer

Sounds great, thanks for the write up.......now I just need to get mine built & delivered!

Get notified of new replies

To C7 VIR review

Old 03-11-2014, 09:24 AM
sandu002
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm with you OP. Once I get some miles on her, it will be doing some road course, autox and road rally.
Thanks for the details on track day prep. I read in another thread that rear pads are wearing out quicker than fronts at the track. This was from a experienced driver who was pushing it harder at Road Atlanta.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:33 AM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

After reading this I have a suggestion for the Porsche drivers Here is something their cars will do better then a Corvette

Old 03-11-2014, 10:12 AM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Told ya you would like those pads!

Solid alignment settings, good oil, good brake fluid and amazing pads will really make that car shine even brighter than it already does.

Like I have said in the past, there is not a better pad on the market today for HPDE or pro level racing.

Let me know if you need anything at all. Always here to help!

Quick Reply: C7 VIR review