Sponsored by:

Extreme Oil Leak!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 07:57 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by hawkgfr
Congratulations as that could be great news all things considering. I've spun on a few filters and the only ones I've ever seen leak were deformed. I guess it is possible for the filter to be almost loose to where the higher pressure could void the rubber seal, but if the filter seal is good that it was tight that baby didn't leak or it would have still been leaking.imo...........
I have been spinning on oil filters for over 45 years and never had one leak on me that I installed. I did have a Quick Lube dept at a dealership fail to tighten the filter adequately on two separate occasions only to have the gasket start leaking in 2 or 3 weeks when thermal cycling loosened it enough to leak. I got 5 free changes with the car purchase. Been leery of those free changes ever since. Then I have seen filters installed at the assembly plant so tight that a gorilla must have done it.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:04 AM
nh_mark
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Mecholova
I don't hate Skids, I pitty him really.
Claims to make 285 an hour, has a great MB, is doing so well he can gift MBs to friends but the only thing that makes him feel good is to hang out online and sling $ hit at other peoples new cars.
Hope you find some peace and happiness someday Joe
Old 03-12-2014, 08:16 AM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It seems that many here are violating the rules of the CF forum on a daily basis.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/foru...conflicts.html

Amazing how some will rat on someone that goes against their grain but will allow constant disregard of rules with their buddies.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:29 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427
Amazing how some will rat on someone that goes against their grain but will allow constant disregard of rules with their buddies.
Does it really amaze you? Compare it to regular everyday life, work life, politics, etc and you will see it is no different.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:29 AM
Tommy D
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16
St. Jude donor in memory of jpee '14

It seems that many here are violating the rules of the CF forum on a daily basis.

Last time I checked a forum was a place to exchange ideas.It seems that we have lost the art of allowing someone to have a different opinion than our own.

Oh & btw I am one of those old guys you know the type..... forgot more stuff than most of you younger guys will ever know

off soak box & on with the bickering
Old 03-12-2014, 08:33 AM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Good point Higgs. It just seems like there is a double standard, but I guess like you said just as in life.

Tommy you nailed it. Nothing like a good old fashioned debate, until the gang mentality sets in b/c they dislike the direction of the topic.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:33 AM
ATX-C7
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Old 03-12-2014, 08:48 AM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

...Nothing like a good old fashioned debate, until the gang mentality sets in b/c they dislike the direction of the topic.
I think this comment ignores the real issue Dan. Maybe I'm way out to lunch on this but, in my view, this isn't a gang mentality thing. It isn't a real debate either. The issue is, in my view, that some people are making broad brushed claims (or, at least, insinuating) that there are issues with the car based on a single event (or some isolated events). Furthermore, there is a history of making unsubstantiated, broad brushed criticisms from the same small group of members over a long period of time. When challenged, the challenges are avoided, talked around in circles and not really addressed... hence no real debate and a feeling by many that some are here to promote a personal agenda and "troll." Whether that is true or not is another discussion all together... it may not be true but it sure looks like it to many.

So, in my view, it isn't that people dislike the direction of the discussion as much as it is the frustration felt by many people regarding how certain members choose to bash without real evidence, are continuously critical and then ignore or deflect any evidence or requests to back up their comments. These people then pull the "kool-aid" card as some sort of justification why everyone else has it wrong and are blinded to the truth. Well, the truth is that there is no kool-aid issue but, IMO, the real issue is that some people have an agenda or dislike for the car and can't let it go. But, that's just my own position based on my personal bias and I recognize that (although I'm right ).

If you think about it, this thread should have been about discussing and helping the OP deal with their specific issue on their specific car. Instead, it was turned into a broad "C7 fail" discussion... that is far beyond the scope of the issue at hand, a very premature and completely unsubstantiated conclusion, and something that happens far too often here and often started by the same people... which is the source of the frustration IMO.

Having said that, both sides of the "debate" could absolutely be better at keeping it less personal.

Last edited by gthal; 03-12-2014 at 09:13 AM.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:15 AM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

I don't want to respond with a long winded dialogue Heath but I will say the whole data concept is pure nonsense, to have real data you'd have to interview every single owner and that's impossible.

You mention how topics get off base, well the fellow that wrote up that fantastic write up about his VIR experience basically quit b/c of a few comments even though they may have been misconstrued and some apologies were offered.

You are right in that we can all do a better job of interacting and everyone needs to remember that all opinions are always going to be agreed upon.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:29 AM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by gthal
The issue is, in my view, that some people are making broad brushed claims (or, at least, insinuating) that there are issues with the car based on a single event (or some isolated events). Furthermore, there is a history of making unsubstantiated, broad brushed criticisms from the same small group of members over a long period of time. When challenged, the challenges are avoided, talked around in circles and not really addressed... hence no real debate and a feeling by many that some are here to promote a personal agenda and "troll." Whether that is true or not is another discussion all together... it may not be true but it sure looks like it to many.

Bingo. Post #196 perfectly illustrates Skid's ongoing attempt to mislead people who are genuinely asking for info based on a single video in which he clearly doesn't even understand what a flashing light in the instrument cluster represents.
This is in addition to his constant attempts to insult actual C7 owners for paying MSRP and buying first-year cars.

He brings nothing, nada, zilch to this section. And he's not alone.
S.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:35 AM
droideka
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JFC! can we all STFU and move on?

i love the fast-paced discussions, overload of relevant/pertinent info and active participation at CF (much greater than the other C7 boards), but GTFO with everyone acting like See You Next Tuesdays every GD day.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:50 AM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by droideka

i love the fast-paced discussions, overload of relevant/pertinent info and active participation at CF (much greater than the other C7 boards), but GTFO with everyone acting like See You Next Tuesdays every GD day.

Can you lace it with any more cussing acronyms?

You added nothing of value.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:57 AM
JetMechZ16
Race Director

Received 146 Likes on 30 Posts

I read about 7 pages of you all whining while a very few tried to offer advice. Grow up girls!

If the dealer gives you the car back with no resolution to the problem try and reproduce the events that lead up to it initially blowing oil. You want the same eng temps, oil temps, rate of acceleration etc. See if it will do it again, sooner rather than later. You want to find this out now, before you've had the car too long.

I'm guessing here as so many others have done, but I would suggest as a possibility that the oil is coming from the dipstic and over pressurization of the crankcase is the cause. If it does it again check to see if the dipstic is seated correctly. If not it could be related to the PCV system and the crankcase is not being vented properly, causing the dipstic to blow out of its seated position and taking a couple of quarts of oil with it.

Just a thought, hope you find your problem.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:01 AM
droideka
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jackhall99

Can you lace it with any more cussing acronyms?

You added nothing of value.
and your value-add was what exactly? you missed the best one. perhaps there's a reason for that.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:08 AM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,357 Likes on 785 Posts

See You Next Tuesdays
Old 03-12-2014, 11:10 AM
nh_mark
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

LOL

Old 03-12-2014, 11:23 AM
hope2
Safety Car

Received 358 Likes on 241 Posts

my money is on something dumb and simple like the oil fill cap, and dealer doesn't want to own up. whatever it was, it won't happen again, IMOP.

Get notified of new replies

To Extreme Oil Leak!!

Old 03-12-2014, 12:30 PM
Slappy3243
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't want to respond with a long winded dialogue Heath but I will say the whole data concept is pure nonsense, to have real data you'd have to interview every single owner and that's impossible.

You mention how topics get off base, well the fellow that wrote up that fantastic write up about his VIR experience basically quit b/c of a few comments even though they may have been misconstrued and some apologies were offered.

You are right in that we can all do a better job of interacting and everyone needs to remember that all opinions are always going to be agreed upon.
You don't need to interview every member to get data. Just like anything else, you need a big enough sample size to draw a conclusion from. Right now, there are not even enough C7's on the road to do so and they haven't been out long enough for problems to be reported to dealers in enough quantity to come to the conclusion whether a problem is prevalent or isolated in nature. So when people ask for data to back up these silly assertions that the C7 is just a bunch of fail, we are really asking, "how the heck can you come to that conclusion so early in the life of this vehicle?". Wait until a year after production and view the reports and look for trends. That is where the data comes from. I think that is what is frustrating to many of us.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:39 PM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Slappy you have always seemed to be a level headed and fair guy so let me ask you a simple question.

For the same reason you just suggested regarding how can the C7 be determined a FAIL how in the hell can it be determined a SUCCESS?

Now if you are the fair guy I think you are than you'll say you can't and you won't go into some tangent that "all the mags say it is" or some other rant about how superior it is.

Just like you state frustration some of us realists feel that the car also cannot be deemed king of the hill after 6 months, am I right?

I do know this, on a daily basis the front page of the C7 section is loaded with thread topics of disgust by owners who are miffed with their cars, and that is a fact my friend!
Old 03-12-2014, 12:39 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,210 Likes on 822 Posts

Originally Posted by GOLD72
I have been spinning on oil filters for over 45 years and never had one leak on me that I installed. I did have a Quick Lube dept at a dealership fail to tighten the filter adequately on two separate occasions only to have the gasket start leaking in 2 or 3 weeks when thermal cycling loosened it enough to leak. I got 5 free changes with the car purchase. Been leery of those free changes ever since. Then I have seen filters installed at the assembly plant so tight that a gorilla must have done it.
Yes that happens a lot as well. Its like the factory used a cheater bar on them to tighten.

Quick Reply: Extreme Oil Leak!!