C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Price INCREASE on C7's! $2k on Base - $4k on Z51!

Old 03-03-2014, 08:24 PM
fdxpilot
Safety Car

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by KenHorse
Pretty damn cold........
Well it does get tiring to be continually told you were a moron to pay MSRP to get one of the early C7s. Tough to not feel a little satisfied when karma strikes back.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:26 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by runutzzzzz
As multiple reviews have stated, the Corvette C7 out performs anything else under $100k.
That is not really the point. Corvettes have always out performed cars costing far more. The problem is that they are going to get out of reach of many buyers who as one time could/would pay the going price. GM is almost guaranteeing large discounts once the new model frenzy comes to an end (as it always does).

I remember only a few years ago it was pretty easy to buy a base C6 for $40k, and my dealer told me that it was THE car to stock.

I'm not one to over react to price increases, but the reality is that the Corvette has always built it's pricing around volume and being able to sell to "common folks". Nearly $60 for a Z51 is pushing what I think is going to be a reasonable price to keep selling the volumes that GM has always wanted for the car.

It will be telling to look at what the real price (after discounts) becomes in 12-18 months from now. I'm guessing that invoice will be very common.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:27 PM
ATX-C7
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

------

Been a member so long because I have always loved corvettes. Only 9 posts because I am young and dont have much to contribute yet.

I have the money to compensate for the price increase, however the $3k price increase deff ruins the vibe & also starts to make me think about just how much do I really want to spend. Think it basically changed my mindset. Still love the Corvette, but just might pass until I can scoop a used that wont lose as much $. Find something else in the meantime.

No worries, I am sure GM knows what they are doing & this is best for sales. But if they were targeting a younger crowd like myself, not sure.
I can appreciate that. Save up and like you said a good garage queen next year. I don't know your age, so cannot comment on what GM is targeting. I think they want the new buyers between 26-45 with disposable income and having formerly owned a European import or thinking about it.

Like I said before best of luck, but don't think M3 is the answer.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:33 PM
SnowyATX
Safety Car

Received 311 Likes on 210 Posts

Well, that is just plain . Was in the process of deciding on my color just this weekend. Guess I snooze I loose by several days.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:35 PM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

How do these rumors get legs???

I will believe it under some very strenuous conditions:

1. The top five Corvette dealers in the country will all immediately deliver to my home a Notarized Statement of Fact regarding the alleged price increase.

2. The Statement of Facts will be delivered to my house by unicorn before midnight tonight.

3. The government will immediately repeal Obamacare. (this I just throw in every chance I get)

I will report back to the forum the results.

Let's put the stop to these rumors.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:38 PM
Carnut12
Burning Brakes

Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by KenHorse
Pretty damn cold........

I have never been on a forum with more Donkeys than this one
Old 03-03-2014, 08:43 PM
fredl11
Safety Car

Received 69 Likes on 32 Posts

spoke to my dealer this afternoon and he confirmed they are planning an increase but he had no timeframe
Old 03-03-2014, 08:46 PM
ALMS21
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Rock'n Blue 08
M3? Mister sour grapes
sour grapes? I've owned three C6 versioned Vettes ( including an '07 Z06 and '11 Gand Sport) and a many other non Corvette cars including 996 turbo, 997 Turbo, E92 M3, E60 M5 and currently a GTR. Was looking at the new C7's but there is a certain threshold I have for a Corvette. Got my '07 Z06 at $700 over invoice and still lost my *** on it 15 months later. While these cars are a value compared to others that are comparable IN PERFORMANCE, they do not work well for someone like me that are in and out of cars fairly quickly (18 months or so). A price increase as significant as this will not bode well for GM.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:48 PM
HummelS
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Call your dealer
Or check the Ken's Newsletter section of the Forum - he is always on the ball with the "straight skinny."
Old 03-03-2014, 08:54 PM
ATX-C7
Melting Slicks

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by ALMS21
sour grapes? I've owned three C6 versioned Vettes ( including an '07 Z06 and '11 Gand Sport) and a many other non Corvette cars including 996 turbo, 997 Turbo, E92 M3, E60 M5 and currently a GTR. Was looking at the new C7's but there is a certain threshold I have for a Corvette. Got my '07 Z06 at $700 over invoice and still lost my *** on it 15 months later. While these cars are a value compared to others that are comparable IN PERFORMANCE, they do not work well for someone like me that are in and out of cars fairly quickly (18 months or so). A price increase as significant as this will not bode well for GM.
You are comparing it to old body styles. I too flip in and out of cars--mainly 911's before. I lost my shorts on those as well. I will be out of this probably by years end. If it's as good as they say, I'll try and hold out and get a Z06 next year.

If you can afford those other cars, a few grand price increase isn't a big deal. 2015's will be higher, so you and I both know this car is a bargain.

This price increase is not 'significant' by market sakes. They did their work before making a move like this and marketing data we don't.

Good luck with whatever you end up buying. Think you're missing out.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:01 PM
ALMS21
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ATX-C7
You are comparing it to old body styles. I too flip in and out of cars--mainly 911's before. I lost my shorts on those as well. I will be out of this probably by years end. If it's as good as they say, I'll try and hold out and get a Z06 next year.

If you can afford those other cars, a few grand price increase isn't a big deal. 2015's will be higher, so you and I both know this car is a bargain.

This price increase is not 'significant' by market sakes. They did their work before making a move like this and marketing data we don't.

Good luck with whatever you end up buying. Think you're missing out.
Appreciate the insight. I just know how early on in the C6 model year I got the Z06 at a damn good deal and still lost muchos $$$$$. When you are hitting $70K for a Vette you got to be careful if you are into flipping in and out of cars like we do.

You may be right and I might be missing out. I am selling the GTR to do some house shuffling so I have some time to chew on it....will be looking at getting something near the end of the year or next Spring.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:03 PM
GreG L.
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fact is the C7 is under priced compared to everything else on the market. I doubt there will be a mid year price increase (just my uneducated guess) but if you Google each years MSRP, you we see a price increase every year (except short year releases 1984 for example). If there is a mid year price increase it will show up on the GM web site, then you will know.

I bought a 2014 Z51 2LT because I believed there would be a price increase each and every year, because my dealer was willing to discount $3,000.00, I had $3,000.00 in GM card points and I couldn't use Friends and Family.

Was able to drive it all day yesterday with the top off, today ice storm and snow. Global warming is starting to **** me off.

Last edited by GreG L.; 03-03-2014 at 09:05 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:14 PM
rsvette12
Melting Slicks

Received 334 Likes on 249 Posts

Man I am glad I scrambled to get a Macmulkin deal done in January 3,000 off msrp and another 3,000 off on that 4 week corvette forum deal, wow I lucked out huge thanks to CF and Macmulkin
Old 03-03-2014, 09:14 PM
WesC7
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler
That is not really the point. Corvettes have always out performed cars costing far more. The problem is that they are going to get out of reach of many buyers who as one time could/would pay the going price. GM is almost guaranteeing large discounts once the new model frenzy comes to an end (as it always does).

I remember only a few years ago it was pretty easy to buy a base C6 for $40k, and my dealer told me that it was THE car to stock.

I'm not one to over react to price increases, but the reality is that the Corvette has always built it's pricing around volume and being able to sell to "common folks". Nearly $60 for a Z51 is pushing what I think is going to be a reasonable price to keep selling the volumes that GM has always wanted for the car.

It will be telling to look at what the real price (after discounts) becomes in 12-18 months from now. I'm guessing that invoice will be very common.
GM lost 2 of 3 Corvette buyers today. 1 is my son....29 yrs old. He's really bummed (as am I) that he will not be buying a C7. The other is a co-worker (40+), previous vette owner.

I will, most likely, still buy a '15 because that's what I decided to buy from the get-go....and thankfully, I can afford it.... Then again, maybe I'll take my $$$'s and venture else where after 40 yrs of owning Corvettes....

All said....a 4% increase on the base model..?? I think GM might have hurt themselves here....IF, in fact, their purpose in redesigning the Corvette, was to appeal to the younger crowd for future generations.

Remember, most of us here can absorb a 4% increase.....but we only account for a very, very small percentage of Corvette buyers...... Bold move by GM..... Time will tell....
Old 03-03-2014, 09:20 PM
ATX-C7
Melting Slicks

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by WesC5
GM lost 2 of 3 Corvette buyers today. 1 is my son....29 yrs old. He's really bummed (as am I) that he will not be buying a C7. The other is a co-worker (40+), previous vette owner.

I will, most likely, still buy a '15 because that's what I decided to buy from the get-go....and thankfully, I can afford it.... Then again, maybe I'll take my $$$'s and venture else where after 40 yrs of owning Corvettes....

All said....a 4% increase on the base model..?? I think GM might have hurt themselves here....IF, in fact, their purpose in redesigning the Corvette, was to appeal to the younger crowd for future generations.

Remember, most of us here can absorb a 4% increase.....but we only account for a very, very small percentage of Corvette buyers...... Bold move by GM..... Time will tell....
Who do you think are buying Porsches, Audi's and alike? Not 65 year old guys (as a whole), no, younger 30-50 year olds...they do have money to spend and at $50'k ish for a base C7 is MUCH cheaper than the brands I mentioned (that they are buying today). They want/need NEW Corvette buyers, not just existing or past buyers.

If a few grand pushes away from the C7, then you probably could not afford it in the first place--let's be honest.

So, while they may have lost a few today, there are plenty of buyers out there that they are trying to appeal to.

Last edited by ATX-C7; 03-03-2014 at 09:22 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:20 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler

Maybe GM has discovered that not that many youngsters can afford a C7 in the first place so now they are back to the old farts. GM knows that the old farts have the money, so it's okay to stiff them with a price increase.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:21 PM
Rob Willis
Safety Car

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

Got to help fund the 1.5 million Cobalts (and others) being recalled.

Get notified of new replies

To Price INCREASE on C7's! $2k on Base - $4k on Z51!

Old 03-03-2014, 09:22 PM
FLYNLO
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

IF the additional price increase breaks your bank, then yes pass. That 'same car' is still the best bargain for about $65K (depending upon specs). What car can you buy for that price with similar specs and awards that 2014 C7 has received?

Weird you've been a member here so long and only 9 posts.

Good luck on whatever you buy [/QUOTE]------

Been a member so long because I have always loved corvettes. Only 9 posts because I am young and dont have much to contribute yet.

I have the money to compensate for the price increase, however the $3k price increase deff ruins the vibe & also starts to make me think about just how much do I really want to spend. Think it basically changed my mindset. Still love the Corvette, but just might pass until I can scoop a used that wont lose as much $. Find something else in the meantime.

No worries, I am sure GM knows what they are doing & this is best for sales. But if they were targeting a younger crowd like myself, not sure.[/QUOTE]

You're a smart young man!!! Keep your chin up. And keep your good attitude! It will always serve you well!!!
Old 03-03-2014, 09:37 PM
AttyVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Heard from my dealer as well as another forum member that the base C7 is going up $2k and the Z51 is going up $3,200!

I knew it was going to happen. The Z51 is still a deal at that price!

Correction, Z51 has a $3200 increase overall or $4k over the base MSRP.
Thanks for the heads up..glad I got my non Z51 already..note is high enough as it is ..Sorry for anyone that didn't get the chance to order their 'Vettes before today.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:39 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,210 Likes on 822 Posts

It really doesn't matter. Its like Dave from Kerbeck said happens every year...My 2007 that I bought in March of 2009, yes that still had new leftover ones just like now and it had an MSRP of 44xx.xx I paid 39600 and zero interest otd. Funny anecdote is that car still had a 5k market adjustment on it. (that dealer, a large dealer in Atlanta is dead now)So the dealer sticker was almost 50k lol...A plain red ilt. I got my dealer to do a dealer trade and I bought it locally where I live at the lower price and interest.(no rebates yet)

In 2013 the same car stickers for 51xx.xx and many were sold for low 40's and more car relatively speaking and rebates and loyalty out the butt...

Its all relative and not exclusive to Corvette at all...In fact a price increase just made all those c6 owners happy cause just keeps the value high on our Vettes too.

I see the c7 in a very nice but 50k ish is pretty much still going to be the demarcation line for weekend fun cars. That pipeline dries up pretty fast if its tried to be moved higher imo...especially for two seaters...

Obama won't be there for GM on their their next big screw up so this is just an adjustment for what is coming they have to make a profit on it and it certainly isn't marketing genius. (look at their poor new truck) Just business as usual. John Q public will decide the outcome.

What will be funny is how the 15 or 16 Corvette will have something that makes to 14 look like a supposed turd like the 05 gto did to the 04 lol...or the ls3 did to the ls2 with the Vette.

Those who've actually had Vettes, or any nice car for that matter, can see that and aren't pretending its some new sign from heaven lol...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Price INCREASE on C7's! $2k on Base - $4k on Z51!