Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Apple Carplay for C7

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 09:45 PM
HalfMoon
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

If history is repeated then the answer is no.

They had plenty of opportunities to update the NAV unit in the C6 over it's life but kept the unit mostly the same since the design in the 2003 timeframe.

The only things they added were USB and AUX ports, they wouldn't even spring for A2DP Bluetooth.

My confidence level on this is low since I work at a company that implements Carplay and most of the systems will need to be designed to support it. The current Mylink system is a pretty slow system and appears that it is already running close to capacity.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:55 PM
C5GoesTo11
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen e
It will happen but chev has to find out done way to get back some of the nav option money they now charge, it's a big profit center for them. All mfrs are struggling with this.
Thanks Glen.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:32 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen e
It will happen but chev has to find out done way to get back some of the nav option money they now charge, it's a big profit center for them. All mfrs are struggling with this.
Huge profit center for them! @$800 it was a rip off but doable. I bet they are about to lose a huge chunk of that profit already by charging $1800 for Nav & PDR.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:35 PM
brentil
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by BIg Wash AZ
Swell idea if it worked with Android Galaxy's.
The exact reason I DON'T want this in a Corvette. It's an Apple first environment and "kinda" works with anything else. I already hate the current line of devices only do audio commands from Siri. The next line of radios are supposed to work with Android too but I feel like GM is drinking the Apple kool-aid too.
Old 06-09-2015, 03:46 PM
sromley
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder if this would work.

http://www.allgosystems.com/CarPlay_OTG_Hub_Adaptor.php
Old 06-09-2015, 03:56 PM
Rockmaninoff
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To clear up one point:

Both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto will be coming to the Chevrolet MyLink infotainment system. Apple's system will be integrated first, with Android Auto following later in the year, but definitely for the 2016 model year.

So, both your iPhone and Android phone will be compatible (eventually).

Still nothing about whether something will come for the 2014 or 2015 models...I certainly hope so, but it's probably wishful thinking.

EDIT: For additional clarity, both CarPlay and Android Auto exist on top of MyLink, so I imagine they will be app entries on the dash just like PDR, Settings, OnStar are right now.
Old 06-12-2015, 08:38 AM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 928 Likes on 617 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockmaninoff
To clear up one point:

Both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto will be coming to the Chevrolet MyLink infotainment system. Apple's system will be integrated first, with Android Auto following later in the year, but definitely for the 2016 model year.

Still nothing about whether something will come for the 2014 or 2015 models...I certainly hope so, but it's probably wishful thinking.

EDIT: For additional clarity, both CarPlay and Android Auto exist on top of MyLink, so I imagine they will be app entries on the dash just like PDR, Settings, OnStar are right now.
The only question is when. Will the first 2016's have CarPlay? When will Android Auto be added? Or should one just wait for 2017 when all this will "for sure" be in the car.

Originally Posted by HalfMoon
If history is repeated then the answer is no.

They had plenty of opportunities to update the NAV unit in the C6 over it's life but kept the unit mostly the same since the design in the 2003 timeframe.

The only things they added were USB and AUX ports, they wouldn't even spring for A2DP Bluetooth.

My confidence level on this is low since I work at a company that implements Carplay and most of the systems will need to be designed to support it. The current Mylink system is a pretty slow system and appears that it is already running close to capacity.
Bluetooth, in some fashion was added in 2009, this was BEFORE the navigation system got an Aux or a USB port (both of those happened in 2010 or 2011). I know, I had a 2008 which didn't have squat.
Old 06-12-2015, 09:28 AM
HalfMoon
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by LS3 MN6
Bluetooth, in some fashion was added in 2009, this was BEFORE the navigation system got an Aux or a USB port (both of those happened in 2010 or 2011). I know, I had a 2008 which didn't have squat.
I said A2DP, or stereo Bluetooth, for music streaming. They only gave Bluetooth for phone calls. I used to have a 2011 with nav and it was a dinosaur of a system.
Old 06-12-2015, 09:43 AM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 928 Likes on 617 Posts

Originally Posted by HalfMoon
I said A2DP, or stereo Bluetooth, for music streaming. They only gave Bluetooth for phone calls. I used to have a 2011 with nav and it was a dinosaur of a system.
A2DP doesn't always mean Bluetooth Audio, hence my confusion. I always refer to the music portion of Bluetooth as Bluetooth Audio to avoid confusion.
Old 06-12-2015, 10:09 AM
HalfMoon
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by LS3 MN6
A2DP doesn't always mean Bluetooth Audio, hence my confusion. I always refer to the music portion of Bluetooth as Bluetooth Audio to avoid confusion.
Well.... I'm not trying to argue, but A2DP is specifically for stereo audio transfer and usually comes bundled with AVRCP for audio controls. All forms of Bluetooth have audio, including SBC for phone calls, so to me, just calling it "Bluetooth Audio" is confusing.

Originally Posted by https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Bluetooth_profiles#Advanced_Audi o_Distribution_Profile_.28A2DP.29
Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP)

This profile defines how multimedia audio can be streamed from one device to another over a Bluetooth connection (so, it is also called Bluetooth Audio Streaming). For example, music can be streamed from a mobile phone, to a wireless headset, hearing aid/cochlear implant streamer, car audio, or from a laptop/desktop to a wireless headset; also, voice can be streamed from a microphone device to a recorder on a PC.[1] The Audio/Video Remote Control Profile (AVRCP) is often used in conjunction with A2DP for remote control on devices such as headphones, car audio systems, or stand-alone speaker units. These systems often also implement Headset (HSP) or Hands-Free (HFP) profiles for telephone calls, which may be used separately.

Each A2DP service, of possibly many, is designed to uni-directionally transfer an audio stream in up to 2 channel stereo, either to or from the Bluetooth host.[2] This profile relies on AVDTP and GAVDP. It includes mandatory support for the low-complexity SBC codec (not to be confused with Bluetooth's voice-signal codecs such as CVSDM), and supports optionally MPEG-1 Part 3/MPEG-2 Part 3 (MP2 and MP3), MPEG-2 Part 7/MPEG-4 Part 3 (AAC and HE-AAC), and ATRAC, and is extensible to support manufacturer-defined codecs, such as apt-X.
Old 06-18-2015, 11:19 AM
BRCC
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockmaninoff
To clear up one point:

This is confirmed, the order guide was updated 6/15/15 to show that Carplay will be in all audio systems (I05 & I06) on the 2016 Corvette.

Last edited by BRCC; 06-18-2015 at 11:22 AM.
Old 06-21-2015, 03:37 PM
Marc VERO
Instructor

Default Standard?

Is Apple Carplay standard on 2016 2LT?

Thanks
Old 06-21-2015, 03:51 PM
docprego
Burning Brakes

Received 263 Likes on 82 Posts

Default Apple Carplay for C7

Originally Posted by Marc VERO
Is Apple Carplay standard on 2016 2LT?

Thanks
The order guide shows it on both MyLink systems. So it appears so.
Old 06-21-2015, 04:14 PM
Marc VERO
Instructor

I hope so. The Navigation on my 2014 is pretty bad. I always wind up using Google Maps.
Old 06-21-2015, 04:20 PM
docprego
Burning Brakes

Received 263 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc VERO
I hope so. The Navigation on my 2014 is pretty bad. I always wind up using Google Maps.
Assuming you are trading to a 2016 Stingray? There won't be an update for 2014-2015 cars unfortunately. It requires new hardware.

Last edited by docprego; 06-21-2015 at 04:23 PM.
Old 06-22-2015, 05:43 AM
Marc VERO
Instructor

Yes, Trading 2014 to 2016
Old 04-07-2016, 07:52 PM
C5-VERT
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 280 Likes on 213 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

https://navrepair.com/collections/bu...pgrade-service

Full upgrade to Nav and Apple CarPlay. Definitely upgrading my '15 C7Z with this. Will be awesome with integrated XM Weather and OnStar Nav.

Last edited by C5-VERT; 04-07-2016 at 07:53 PM.

Quick Reply: Apple Carplay for C7