C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Running cold weather friendly rubber, what a difference!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 06:13 PM
Periokid
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Default Running cold weather friendly rubber, what a difference!

I know it is an ongoing debate but I knew I had to get winter rubber for my Z51.

I decided the best way would be to get a set of standard C7 rims and put Michelin Pilot A/S 3 tires. The car is not driven in the snow. I have my daily for that.

I finally got it all together. I bought a used set with TPMS included. Tires from Tirerack.

While the look is "OK" the performance on cold streets is incredible.

I could drive the car with the Z51 Pilots but any aggressive inputs, especially throttle, would spin the tires with ease.

Now I have so much more grip. Heavy throttle now just causes rapid acceleration, not tire spin and oversteer (in turns).

I did have a small issue with the outside wheel weights and front caliper clearance but that was fixed by placing the weights the long way to avoid the calipers.

Also the ride is smoother. Just something I noticed but was not complaining about.

Come warm weather, I'll go back to the Z51 wheels and tires.
Attached Images     

Last edited by Periokid; 03-01-2014 at 06:15 PM.
Old 03-01-2014, 06:18 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

did you also notice that there's no more hopping and skipping during slow tight turns?
Old 03-01-2014, 06:20 PM
Periokid
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by themonk
did you also notice that there's no more hopping and skipping during slow tight turns?
You know, you are right! No skipping. I forgot about that!! LOL!

Last edited by Periokid; 03-01-2014 at 06:27 PM.
Old 03-01-2014, 06:27 PM
PARANORMAL
SUPPORT AUTISM
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 40 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10, '14

Originally Posted by Periokid
I know it is an ongoing debate but I knew I had to get winter rubber for my Z51.

I decided the best way would be to get a set of standard C7 rims and put Michelin Pilot A/S 3 tires. The car is not driven in the snow. I have my daily for that.

I finally got it all together. I bought a used set with TPMS included. Tires from Tirerack.

I could drive the car with the Z51 Pilots but any aggressive inputs, especially throttle, would spin the tires with ease.

Now I have so much more grip. Heavy throttle now just causes rapid acceleration, not tire spin and oversteer (in turns).

I did have a small issue with the outside wheel weights and front caliper clearance but that was fixed by placing the weights the long way to avoid the calipers.

Also the ride is smoother. Just something I noticed but was not complaining about.

Took mine out today and just put it away in time for more snow tomorrow.
Old 03-01-2014, 06:58 PM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

Is that a Z51 that you put Base wheels on?
I thought (based upon comments here, that the Base wheels don't fit the Z51 fronts.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:11 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,140 Posts

Originally Posted by LIStingray
I thought (based upon comments here, that the Base wheels don't fit the Z51 fronts.
Yea tell us more about this....... You went from 19 20 inch Z51 wheel and tires to 18 19 inch set up without any clearance issues? Other then the inside wheel weights you mentioned???

I think gm Wheels will hold up to the elements better.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:20 PM
Kyflyer
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 66 Posts

Thanks for the information, I have already ordered a set of the Michelins and I am having them installed next week if this eternal winter will give me a break. Are you carrying a plug kit and a compressor? I have done that in the mini for some time and will transfer them from one to other. I had already made up my mind to make the switch as it transformed the handling and ride comfort in the mini exponentially!
Old 03-01-2014, 09:13 PM
Periokid
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by jacquesc6

Took mine out today and just put it away in time for more snow tomorrow.
Where is Suffolk are you? We could be neighbors.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:18 PM
Periokid
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by LIStingray
My issue was the wheel weights only. They just barely rubbed when the wheel rotated. They hit the brake pads where they stick out of the calipers.

The weights that were on the car from my tire guy were long and narrow. They were placed with the long way going from outside the wheel to the inside. All I needed to do was mark their location on each front wheel, take the weights off and separate all the weights (4 on one side and 3 not the other wheel). I then cleaned off all of the double sided tape, and replaced them so they where short from outside to inside (i.e. rotated them 90 degrees).

Works ok so far!
Old 03-01-2014, 09:20 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,357 Likes on 785 Posts

Old 03-01-2014, 09:21 PM
Periokid
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Kyflyer
Thanks for the information, I have already ordered a set of the Michelins and I am having them installed next week if this eternal winter will give me a break. Are you carrying a plug kit and a compressor? I have done that in the mini for some time and will transfer them from one to other. I had already made up my mind to make the switch as it transformed the handling and ride comfort in the mini exponentially!
Right now I am not traveling far from home. The weather has really limited the use of the car. I have my AAA card with me in case I need a tow.

I do have a compressor, plug kit and goo but I haven't put it in the car yet. I guess I should.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:28 PM
Bigdog9586
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Right now I am not traveling far from home. The weather has really limited the use of the car. I have my AAA card with me in case I need a tow.

I do have a compressor, plug kit and goo but I haven't put it in the car yet. I guess I should.
Why didn't you just spring for the all season Michiums run flats? I love mine.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:35 PM
Periokid
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Bigdog9586
Why didn't you just spring for the all season Michiums run flats? I love mine.
I was on the fence with that one. The Michelin RF all seasons are an older tire and the A/S 3 has been getting stellar reviews.

Also, RFs do not do well with potholes. They are very easily ruined.

I find non run flats more capable of surviving bad potholes. That is also the reason I decided to get the 18" - 19" set up vs putting tires on Z51 size wheels. The extra inch in diameter gives the tire a little more distance from street to the rim.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:41 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,558 Likes on 1,640 Posts

I understand the C7 has self programming TPMS sensors as well? If true, you would not have had to program the new wheels when you mounted them, just balance, mount, & go...
Old 03-01-2014, 10:01 PM
Periokid
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Silverblue
I understand the C7 has self programming TPMS sensors as well? If true, you would not have had to program the new wheels when you mounted them, just balance, mount, & go...

Correct. I just put the wheels on the car with the new TPMS and the car recognized them in a few minutes. So easy.

Last edited by Periokid; 03-02-2014 at 05:54 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:02 PM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

That works, looks good. Love that Kalahari interior with the roof panel removed.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:23 PM
Tide Will Roll!
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Currently have the A/S Plus RF's on my C6 and will need tires soon.
Thinking seriously about getting the A/S 3 non run flats this time. The A/S plus has been a great tire but it just does not look like a tire that belongs on a Corvette

Post some close pics of the rear view please
Which compressor kit do youse guys use?
(forgive me for posting in C7 section-I lurk here because I will get a C7 at some point. Right now it's just not feasible for me to trade up....

Get notified of new replies

To Running cold weather friendly rubber, what a difference!

Old 03-02-2014, 03:55 PM
Kyflyer
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Tide Will Roll!
Currently have the A/S Plus RF's on my C6 and will need tires soon.
Thinking seriously about getting the A/S 3 non run flats this time. The A/S plus has been a great tire but it just does not look like a tire that belongs on a Corvette

Post some close pics of the rear view please
Which compressor kit do youse guys use?
(forgive me for posting in C7 section-I lurk here because I will get a C7 at some point. Right now it's just not feasible for me to trade up....
I use the Dynaplug Pro Extreme plug kit
http://www.dynaplug.com/products.html
And the VIAIR 90P compressor
Old 03-02-2014, 04:03 PM
sajonf
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So the base wheels do fit over the Z51 brakes!
Old 03-02-2014, 04:26 PM
entologix
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats...I love My A/S 3's as well.

Quick Reply: Running cold weather friendly rubber, what a difference!