Sponsored by:

So apparently I am blacklisted by GM from buying a C7

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 03:02 PM
RUBYREDVET
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by badwhitecorvette
I agree. But when it's a US Marine that is buying it, registering it in US, and Financing it with a Bank that is associated with US Military Personnel, I would think it's safe to say this C7 is staying in America.

Plus after you register any car you can do what ever you want with it.
No national secrets or secret technology in the C7 will be compromised.
How do you know this? For all we know you may be planning on selling it to China, who will copy it and export it back here and sell it thru Walmart for $24995.00 +Doc fee. The quality will suck, but it'll be cheap.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:25 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,008 Likes on 2,890 Posts

Originally Posted by Dlinderman
I'm a Sorry...(well, not really) but usually where there is smoke there is fire, and I'm not buying the, "I didn't inhale" song and dance.

In this case, the OP is admitting on a public forum that he may have kinda sorta exported some cars overseas and now he is on a no sell "list". As a business, GM had chosen not to sell him one of their cars based on his history of exporting, not one or two cars, but three cars.

And c'mon Skid Row Joe. This is not a case of "discrimination", of someone being judged based on race, religion, age, or sexual orientation. This is a case of someone's request To buy a brand new car being denied based on their past illegal export behavior (at worst) or questionable export circumstances (at best) so let's not get our panties in a bunch.

There are many great men and women in uniform...and anyone in uniform will tell you, like any cross section of society, there are criminals, thieves and..."exporters" apparently among them. Just because he is an active duty Marine does not earn him a pass.
Sorry, your post makes NO sense at all.

First you say the guy is guilty, next you say things that weren't implied or written.

Yet, you have NO explanation of what happened or why what happened, happened - just that the guy is guilty. Sounds like you're doing the inhaling here!
Old 03-02-2014, 04:53 AM
Gmumd48
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default DO not blame MacMulkin in this Blacklisting issue OP you never told us where you live

Macmulkin is protecting their interests and sell a lot of cars, you may be a victim, but aren't we all at some point. There are two sides to every story

I am a combined Military/DOD family on Orders overseas and bought an 08 picked up at the Museum. Exported it myself and registered it in the military registration system in Germany and It didn't meet my expectations on German Roads and tracks so I sold it. Ordering a C7 and a C7 Z06 after that. No one told me otherwise

Seat time in the C-7 is a whole different experience.

As far as the reasoning, Mercedes GL/ML are being bought in the states and sold in Russia for 3x US MSRP. THere is a creative grey market for these cars in various parts of the World. I see the OP understands the military system and government red tape ( not just ours) reading his posts he has done some traveling so I would think he knows to find out more info and try and rectify the situation with GM. not a company that buys from GM.

[Luke:] I can’t believe it.
[Yoda:] That is why you fail.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:35 AM
GN1270
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After reading your first response I am on GM's side. If I were GM reading this post and saw how you have the money to ship your cars to your vacation destinations I would seriously wonder why you were only ordering a 1lt.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:19 PM
Art-2008
Instructor

Default Some People Actually WANT a 1LT

Originally Posted by GN1270
After reading your first response I am on GM's side. If I were GM reading this post and saw how you have the money to ship your cars to your vacation destinations I would seriously wonder why you were only ordering a 1lt.
As someone implied earlier, the OP does seem to have a vacation budget similar to the Obama family (the military must pay really well).

But some people (myself included) actually want a 1LT. I like to keep things simple, and would not use many of the 2LT or 3LT extras.

Personally, I ordered a 1LT Z51 with mag ride, perf exhaust, opt paint & stripes. I just didn't want the other luxury items. I also drive and track a Lotus Elise and the 1LT will be a Cadillac to me.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:48 PM
badwhitecorvette
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 0-60B4U
My question is how can an active duty Marine afford to own all the expensive vehicles he has, ship them overseas and back, and take off 4 months at a time to drive across several foreign countries? None of his story makes any sense to me!

I'm not active duty anymore. It's really not that expensive to ship a car overseas. I think the H2 cost me $1500 to ship. And my BMW cost $900 to ship there. But it ended up costing $3500 to ship back, Because only way back was a 20 foot Container. IF I had to do all over again I probably wouldn't do. But we only live once.
My Hummer I lost money on but I would of taken a beating if I shipped it back.

Anyway these cars where older cars at the time. I didn't violate any export policies.

It's simple if you shipped cars in the past you will be on a list. If your name sounds funny you will be checked and double checked against all kinds of list. And you will be guilty. In my case is potential exporter of a highly protected C7 Stingray.

If I am an exporter I would not be on here posting. I would be out buying and exporting Stingrays. There are many used stingrays with less then a few hundred miles on Ebay that are ready for export. Or I would be at a small town dealer buying stingrays with straw buyers named John Smith. It's really not that difficult to do.

I have always loved Corvettes ever since the white Vette I used to see driven on the A-Team. I had a white C4 and a black C5. Then I skipped the C6 and went to Porsche.
I am not hard up for a Corvette or any other car. I was simply excited to be buying my third Vette and my first brand new Vette. This has taken all the excitement out of it for sure.

I just started this thread to see if anyone else has experienced this same situation.
Old 03-03-2014, 01:06 PM
Dave@Ciocca
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 1,656 Likes on 393 Posts

It's simple if you shipped cars in the past you will be on a list. If your name sounds funny you will be checked and double checked against all kinds of list. And you will be guilty. In my case is potential exporter of a highly protected C7 Stingray.
Please don't insinuate that you are on the list because of your name or ethnicity. You are on the exporter list because you have exported cars...it's pretty simple.

If I am an exporter I would not be on here posting. I would be out buying and exporting Stingrays. There are many used stingrays with less then a few hundred miles on Ebay that are ready for export. Or I would be at a small town dealer buying stingrays with straw buyers named John Smith. It's really not that difficult to do.
Actually, you are an exporter. I don't believe you have any intention of exporting the C7 but that has nothing to do with the fact that you posted, in numerous separate posts in this thread, that you have exported cars from the country and you did not bring them back. That makes you an exporter. GM doesn't state that it's only new, GM products that they check. They check to see if you are a know exporter. It's not illegal to be an exporter but GM chooses not to sell to exporters.

As it has been stated a few times, you need to contact GM and explain to them the facts of your case and see if they will take you off of the list.

Dave
Old 03-03-2014, 01:35 PM
Blue Lagoon
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dave@Kerbeck.com
Yes, sorry. That's what I get for trying to type a long message using my phone while laying in bed!

Dave
I understood perfectly. Thank you !
Old 03-03-2014, 11:33 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 4,009 Likes on 1,688 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
Sorry, your post makes NO sense at all.
:
Next time, I'll try and speak slower so you can keep up. Yet again, your contributions to any given thread continue to be an amusing insight on the reputation you seem to work hard at fueling....

Last edited by Big Lebowski; 03-03-2014 at 11:35 PM.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:00 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,008 Likes on 2,890 Posts

Next time, I'll try and speak slower so you can keep up. Yet again, your contributions to any given thread continue to be an amusing insight on the reputation you seem to work hard at fueling....
Just when I didn't think you could talk any slower, you did!

Try to keep up!
Old 03-04-2014, 12:09 AM
ATX-C7
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Old 03-15-2014, 12:31 PM
badwhitecorvette
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I contacted Jennie with Chevrolet Customer Care when this first happened. Last week I got a few phone calls from GM. I was told there is no real GM export list. The Export List that exists is basically a generic data base list of anyone who has shipped any vehicle outside of the US. And GM said there is no way to get off that list.

I went to www.piers.com and they state that they provide up to 63 months of rolling historical data.
I suspect that is what MacMulkin Chevrolet uses. Because all the explanation I got from them was that I am on GM export list and in 2011 I shipped a car from a port in Houston. When in reality that car went out of Baltimore in Jan 2010 and came back into the country through Houston Feb 2011.

Originally Posted by Reliablechevy
I kind of question how GM comes up with some of the info on their "suspected exporters list". On the spreadsheet they supply to dealers, I can type Chevrolet in the search box and get 64 Chevrolet Dealers across the Country that are "suspected"

I don't have a problem selling you a car at all. You're suspected of exporting. I "suspect" you're a nice guy and want to buy a new Corvette, right?

Wes
Thank you Mr Wes. For jumping in and offering me a car and at a discount too.
I was initially bummed and burned out on this whole incident. And then I just couldn't wait for a factory order to come in.

With all that being said, I have a new inbound Stingray that I signed a purchase order and placed a deposit on last week. I am just waiting on it to come in. The Dealer said as of yesterday my C7 was to hit the last rail-yard stop today. Hopefully I will be cruising in it way before the end of the month and I will have 1500 miles on her the first week.
Old 03-15-2014, 12:35 PM
GreginNH
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats! I am glad things worked out for you!
Old 03-15-2014, 12:43 PM
Limey25
Instructor

I contacted Jennie with Chevrolet Customer Care when this first happened. Last week I got a few phone calls from GM. I was told there is no real GM export list. The Export List that exists is basically a generic data base list of anyone who has shipped any vehicle outside of the US. And GM said there is no way to get off that list.

I went to www.piers.com and they state that they provide up to 63 months of rolling historical data.
I suspect that is what MacMulkin Chevrolet uses. Because all the explanation I got from them was that I am on GM export list and in 2011 I shipped a car from a port in Houston. When in reality that car went out of Baltimore in Jan 2010 and came back into the country through Houston Feb 2011.

Thank you Mr Wes. For jumping in and offering me a car and at a discount too.
I was initially bummed and burned out on this whole incident. And then I just couldn't wait for a factory order to come in.

With all that being said, I have a new inbound Stingray that I signed a purchase order and placed a deposit on last week. I am just waiting on it to come in. The Dealer said as of yesterday my C7 was to hit the last rail-yard stop today. Hopefully I will be cruising in it way before the end of the month and I will have 1500 miles on her the first week.
Glad to see the positive outcome for you! Pics when it arrives please

What's scary is just how easy it seems to be to end up on someones list these days and that then becomes the be all and end all. Common sense seems to have taken a back seat to bureaucracy once again.
Old 03-15-2014, 12:45 PM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Glad to hear a favorable outcome to your situation! Congrats on your soon to be new car!
Old 03-15-2014, 01:32 PM
slingshot60
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats! Now drive it like you stole it!
Old 03-15-2014, 01:57 PM
Rich3211
Advanced

How quick can you export it????

Get notified of new replies

To So apparently I am blacklisted by GM from buying a C7

Old 03-15-2014, 02:35 PM
cor66vette
Le Mans Master

Received 1,308 Likes on 690 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

This was indeed one of the more interesting reads this forum had to offer in a while. Glad it worked out for you.
Old 03-15-2014, 04:11 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

After reading this entire post I have a really F***king simple question. If the OP illegally exported a vehicle, then why hasn't he been arrested - he's on a list and they obviously can find him, especially when he tried to buy a car from a dealer who found him on the list.

If it's not illegal, then why is there a list?
Old 03-15-2014, 04:23 PM
82z28nd
Advanced

:
Originally Posted by jschindler
After reading this entire post I have a really F***king simple question. If the OP illegally exported a vehicle, then why hasn't he been arrested - he's on a list and they obviously can find him, especially when he tried to buy a car from a dealer who found him on the list.

If it's not illegal, then why is there a list?
"Your papers please. Ve haff vays of making you talk"

Quick Reply: So apparently I am blacklisted by GM from buying a C7