Hatch Closing

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 08:04 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,655 Likes on 6,652 Posts

Default Hatch Closing

Thought I’d start this thread since previous hatch comments are scattered all over. Some time ago someone mentioned you could see the “memory wire” vent work thru a hole behind the license plate. In a more recent post someone said they had their bumper off and worked with the vent and when they reassembled their hatch now closes without the door being opened.
Today I put on a new license plate frame. There is a good size opening behind the license place and you can see the vent open if you look in and pop the hatch release button. It opens almost instantly. It stays open until you close the hatch, at which point it closes. Mine seemed to be working fine. Tried several ways to have the hatch close with the doors closed. Tried from the max opening and several lower levels (figuring there was perhaps less air needing to be displaced.) Never did latch. Opened the door and it latched with very little force from max opening and from a position where it was closed half way! No resolution to the problem but reinforces with the vent open, I still need a door open to have it latch!
Old 02-24-2014, 08:16 PM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Or you can simply just put it down and gently push it closed.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:33 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by slief
Or you can simply just put it down and gently push it closed.
There was another interesting post relative to pushing on the hatch. A person who had Museum Delivery said they were told not to push in the center of the hatch since paint cracking has been reported! They suggested pushing on the outer edges. I wonder why they were told they needed to push anywhere?!
In my case, I have watched the hatch deflect so would not push any harder. My solution is to have the door open before I close the hatch, just takes some thought and a few extra steps. It appears some seals or hatch fit is different and the hatch closes with little difficulty. That is not mine. Maybe it will get bettter with time, as some suggest. We'll see.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:36 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 972 Likes on 506 Posts
Tech Contributor

I will post this every time these hatch threads come up. My gaskets have flattened at 4500 miles so a moderate- not strong- tug using the inside hand pocket shuts it every time with everything closed....
Old 02-24-2014, 08:38 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

On the paint cracking? Nonsense...it doesn't take that much pressure

Old 02-24-2014, 08:45 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,581 Likes on 1,647 Posts

Not to sound like a broken record, but....

How nice it would be to still have the C6 hatch closing mechanism...
Old 02-24-2014, 09:34 PM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverblue

Yea, that was nice!
Old 02-24-2014, 10:15 PM
trivette
Melting Slicks

Received 122 Likes on 87 Posts

I agree. The "memory wire" seems like more of a gimmick and really isn't ready for prime time application. They promoted the Hell out of it at introduction time but with many dissatisfied owners it will be interesting if something changes for '15. I don't mind having to give it an extra push to close but resent being fed the false information that this 'new technology' has somehow improved things when in fact it has not.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:24 PM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
There was another interesting post relative to pushing on the hatch. A person who had Museum Delivery said they were told not to push in the center of the hatch since paint cracking has been reported! They suggested pushing on the outer edges.
Actually press on the two ridges that flow back by the side of the window. The ridges would be the strongest part of the hatch. Works pretty well, but, as you said, shouldn't be necessary.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:26 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by Glen e
I will post this every time these hatch threads come up. My gaskets have flattened at 4500 miles so a moderate- not strong- tug using the inside hand pocket shuts it every time with everything closed....
This x10.
I don't have as many miles on my car as Glen, but have had it a little longer than he has. I have the right-hand-closing-sweep down and latch it on the first shot ~90% of the time.

But, I completely understand the OP's concern. I 'thought' the shape-metal technology was going to make the hatch a piece of cake to close.
S.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:38 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 972 Likes on 506 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Snorman
This x10.

I 'thought' the shape-metal technology was going to make the hatch a piece of cake to close.
S.
So very true...
Old 02-24-2014, 11:58 PM
Rad22
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen e
Wholeheartedly agree. 3500 miles. Owned since September 30. Closes first time every time with a good push downward with the right handed slot in the underside of the lid as intended. No problems.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:28 AM
bnall40
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rad22
Wholeheartedly agree. 3500 miles. Owned since September 30. Closes first time every time with a good push downward with the right handed slot in the underside of the lid as intended. No problems.
Wholeheartedly disagree. Owned since Oct 11 and the gimmick simply does not work on my car! Opening a door is the only answer. I will be taking a closer look though at the "loop" metal catch that secures and locks the hatch. I just noticed today that there is metal to metal wear on the loop and may be just enough to prevent closure? If so, this is an inspection adjustment that should have been caught by a more professional worker. Consider, how many complaints have developed over this one issue! . Corvette has done an outstanding job designing and engineering the fantastic C7 but they are still beleaguered by UAW DNA!
Old 02-25-2014, 12:31 AM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

My car is brand new and the hatch closes firmly every time using the handle with moderate pressure. No issue at all.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:20 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by bnall40
Wholeheartedly disagree. Owned since Oct 11 and the gimmick simply does not work on my car! Opening a door is the only answer. I will be taking a closer look though at the "loop" metal catch that secures and locks the hatch. I just noticed today that there is metal to metal wear on the loop and may be just enough to prevent closure? If so, this is an inspection adjustment that should have been caught by a more professional worker. Consider, how many complaints have developed over this one issue! . Corvette has done an outstanding job designing and engineering the fantastic C7 but they are still beleaguered by UAW DNA!
You raise a very interesting issue. I also have my car since early October and like you I must have the door open. What surprises me, even pressing on the outer edges (since at least I don’t see the hatch bend) requires a great deal of force to latch. However with the door open, it latches every time with very little force. Perhaps it does have something to do with the latch. Have to look and see if there is a way to adjust it. Can’t wait to get the service manuals!
Old 02-25-2014, 05:45 AM
billbunton
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rad22
Wholeheartedly disagree. 5800 miles, owned since October 2, never closes properly without a door being open. I usually forget to leave a door open, and give the hatch a push as I was told to do during museum delivery.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:08 AM
SRQStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverblue

I agree that the C6 mechanism was better. I have to take the inner handle and basically slam my C7 hatch. If my doors are closed and I don' slam it, inevitably it takes a couple of tries. It was aggravating at first, but I think I have the right slamming force now.

Last edited by SRQStingray; 02-25-2014 at 06:27 AM.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:03 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by trivette
I agree. The "memory wire" seems like more of a gimmick and really isn't ready for prime time application. They promoted the Hell out of it at introduction time but with many dissatisfied owners it will be interesting if something changes for '15. I don't mind having to give it an extra push to close but resent being fed the false information that this 'new technology' has somehow improved things when in fact it has not.
My observation yesterday that the “memory wire” vent opened as soon as I hit the hatch open button (have to use a flashlight and look in the relatively large opening behind the license plate, while pushing the button) indicates to me it may not be the mechanism but rather too small a vent for some cars. The other thought raised by bnall40, is could it be the latch adjustment since some cars are fine?

Get notified of new replies

To Hatch Closing

Quick Reply: Hatch Closing