Sponsored by:

XPEL advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 12:49 PM
jerich0
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default XPEL advice

i'm hopefully getting my C7 shipped in a couple of weeks, and i've convinced myself that getting the XPEL clear install is the right thing to do. But i'm not sure if i should do the partial or full front coverage. I think the full front is overkill (and very expensive), and the partial is all i need. The installer has a webpage that shows coverage, but it's on a Porsche.

Would love any advice on which coverage to get - partial or front? don't want to get more than i need.

thanks in advance!

ps. i bought one off the lot from another state - so i don't have the option of museum delivery xpel etc
Old 01-13-2014, 12:58 PM
AP
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got the full package on my 08, I dont have a Stingray ... but I would suggest you check out xpel.com and see what they have in terms of coverage vs. cost.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:05 PM
MiamiCowboy
Pro

Received 172 Likes on 74 Posts

Had partial on my C5 Z06 but went full front coverage on my C6 Z06. Full coverage is the only way I would do it. When done right you don't even know it is there.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:18 PM
rjv0331
Advanced

I saw a 911 with a partial front coverage. When I first saw it, I thought it was a huge scratch extending across the hood and fenders. That convinced me to get the full front coverage. It cost more, but I'm not sorry I did it that way.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:23 PM
Limey25
Instructor

On this topic, what are people generally seeing as an install cost for the full kit? I'm below amateur rating so wouldn't trust myself not to mess it up.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:28 PM
epicvet
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Xpel advice

Bought XPEL Ultimate film for front bumper and headlights in November. Also had about an inch wide strip put on the rear edge of the Z51 spoiler so as not to scratch it when utilizing the rear hatch. Bumper and headlights came out nicely on Laguna Blue paint.

Spoiler ends are not perfect because you have to cut the film at some point. I can see where it will start to peel on the spoiler but I think it will give a year or two of protection before needing to be replaced. All in all, I am pleased with job and would not hesitate to do it again.

How much of your car you choose to cover, or whether you choose to do it at all, could best be correlated to the type of driving you plan to do. I was interested because I plan to do some freeway driving. Best of luck!
Old 01-13-2014, 01:29 PM
ZR1Cat
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 75 Posts

I got the full front done on my 2012 ZR1, including the air splitter. They had to cut it to fit it short of the hood strips and hood window on my CE version. I am glad I did the complete front. I have much more piece of mind while driving.

I also got it on the sides and rear quarter panel areas.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:32 PM
Buzzardz_vette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I went with the full front coverage:

and the bumper:

and the headlights (no image available).

You can find these on the Xpel website Xpel website.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:44 PM
Seapar
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Full front, and rocker panels and increased coverage(over stock protection) in front of rear wheels. The demarcation line on partial hood is more obvious on lighter colors. I have white.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:52 PM
Eodgunny
Instructor

How, if at all, does having stripes effect the installation of these types of products?
Old 01-13-2014, 02:04 PM
djseto
Instructor

Originally Posted by Seapar
Full front, and rocker panels and increased coverage(over stock protection) in front of rear wheels. The demarcation line on partial hood is more obvious on lighter colors. I have white.
Ditto. I also have white. You just spent a good amount of money on the car...what's a bit more to make sure she looks good? At least that was my rationale.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:57 PM
jerich0
Instructor

thanks for all the replies - sounds like folks are suggesting the full front. i'm getting $2195 as the quote here, the installer's pricing from the website is attached.
Attached Images  
Old 01-13-2014, 03:00 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 912 Likes on 476 Posts
Tech Contributor

2195 is complete overkill, these cars are not made of tissue paper - just do film where the rocks hit: the front end and the mirrors...

people are far too paranoid about this, IN MY OPINION...
Old 01-13-2014, 03:02 PM
Raiderh20boy
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 279 Likes on 191 Posts

I had the complete done about 2 weeks ago and just went up to Yosemite yesterday. There was a LOT of loose gravel on the roads for the small amount of snow Sat and we (my wife and I ) were both THRILLED that we just had the Xpel put on ALL. There were even small pebbles on the rear hatch. Just finished washing this morning and our Cyber Grey C7 looks FANTASTIC !!! Photos to follow. No water for the falls
Old 01-13-2014, 03:12 PM
jdb1218
Advanced

I had XPEL do the full bumper, mirrors, and door cups. They did a good job on the parts which are visible, as you can only see the line if you look closely. There are a couple of bubbles under the bumper where they wrapped it, but I haven't' gone back to have it fixed.

The total was around $400.
Old 01-13-2014, 03:14 PM
ZR1Cat
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Eodgunny
How, if at all, does having stripes effect the installation of these types of products?
Well for example, the OEM stripes on my Centennial Edition are a mat black, if you install Xpel or about any other brand over the stripe particularly if done partially, then the stripe turns more glossy on the covered part. The installer demo'd the install over the stripes (partially) and it was a no-brainer that it did not look right.

Perhaps if one was going to cover the entire hood, roof, deck, etc stripes, that is all of the stripes, then they might look acceptable.

If you have stripes work carefully with your installer.
Old 01-13-2014, 03:33 PM
Eodgunny
Instructor

Originally Posted by ZR1Cat
Well for example, the OEM stripes on my Centennial Edition are a mat black, if you install Xpel or about any other brand over the stripe particularly if done partially, then the stripe turns more glossy on the covered part. The installer demo'd the install over the stripes (partially) and it was a no-brainer that it did not look right.

Perhaps if one was going to cover the entire hood, roof, deck, etc stripes, that is all of the stripes, then they might look acceptable.

If you have stripes work carefully with your installer.
Thanks a lot!

Get notified of new replies

To XPEL advice

Old 01-13-2014, 03:45 PM
DanTheFireman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Eodgunny
The stripe will have a very thin "pin line" of silvery look along the edge, about a fingernail thickness. This is 3M on my Mini (which also has more orange peel than the Expel but is a lot thicker). If the clear protection is removed for any reason there is a good chance the stripe would come up with it.
That said, my '08 Z had 3M on the front bumper, headlights and rockers for over five years and the paint was still perfect when sold. The cars I've had without at least the front bumper done didn't fare so well.

The two pics of the C7 are with Suntek (supposedly same product as Expel, self healing etc.), it has almost no orange peel. At 2k miles the front bumper already had a small stone ding. The exposed cf roof had a tiny one also so on went the Suntek; you can see the paint/cf edge has a minute line but IMO it's well worth it.
Attached Images    
Old 01-13-2014, 04:01 PM
jerich0
Instructor

Originally Posted by Glen e
2195 is complete overkill, these cars are not made of tissue paper - just do film where the rocks hit: the front end and the mirrors...

I agree with you Glen, 2195 is a lot. I'm leaning towards just the "partial mask", but the supposed line halfway along the fenders is very disturbing. I don't know whether i'd like that. Does anyone have photos or pictures that show the line? am i overthinking this? :P
Old 01-13-2014, 04:27 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,067 Likes on 6,169 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen e

Rocks hit all parts of the hood. These cars are so low the entire hood is at risk. My C6 has some nicks way beyond the 1/2 way point.

I'll be picking up mine at the NCM sometime around mid-Feb and I am having them do the full front.

Quick Reply: XPEL advice