Car cover with battery charger?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 01:12 PM
pmonag
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car cover with battery charger?

Hi All,

I have my C7 hooked up to the battery charger to make it through the winter. There was a warning I read about not putting on a car cover when using the battery charger.

Does anyone know if I can cover my car in my garage and use the battery charger at the same time?

Thanks!
Patrick
Old 02-22-2014, 06:16 PM
Tannman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where did you read this? I have used car covers on my C5, C6 and now my C7 while using a battery tender. Should not be a problem.
Old 02-22-2014, 06:17 PM
PARANORMAL
SUPPORT AUTISM
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10, '14

Originally Posted by Tannman
Where did you read this? I have used car covers on my C5, C6 and now my C7 while using a battery tender. Should not be a problem.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:05 PM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

My car is on a tender with a cover, as it has been for the past 3 winters. Can't see what the cover would affect, other than the route of the wire run.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:21 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 4,113 Likes on 1,745 Posts

I too have had a car cover on my C6 with a battery tender, but I wonder (speculate) if the warning has anything to do with the factory battery tender that plugs in to trunk jack with a wire dangling out the trunk on the C7? With EVERYTHING so well thought out on the C7, that little detail seems like an after thought.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:51 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,695 Likes on 6,680 Posts

Originally Posted by Dlinderman
I too have had a car cover on my C6 with a battery tender, but I wonder (speculate) if the warning has anything to do with the factory battery tender that plugs in to trunk jack with a wire dangling out the trunk on the C7? With EVERYTHING so well thought out on the C7, that little detail seems like an after thought.
Perhaps the comment was based on having poor ventalation. Found this is in instructions for charging lead acid batteries:
“Hydrogen and oxygen gases are generated in cells during normal battery operation or
when on charge. (Hydrogen is flammable and oxygen supports combustion). These gases enter the air
through the vent caps during battery overcharging. To avoid risk of fire or explosion, keep sparks and other sources of ignition away from the battery. Do not allow metal objects to simultaneously contact both
positive and negative terminal of batteries. Ventilate area well.”

However, can’t see that a car cover is any different than with the hatch closed. Chevy doesn’t say, keep the hatch open. The Vette battery probably has a vent hose going to the outside, although I did not see it.

Get notified of new replies

To Car cover with battery charger?

Quick Reply: Car cover with battery charger?